365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Riding a Century off Marathon Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Vivian on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Crazy thought, but can someone ride a century (totally flat, slow, just intent on finishing) by riding just once a week? I am currently gearing up for a September marathon and a November marathon 8 weeks later. Both of these will be run fast. Marathon 1 for a minimal BQ and marathon 2 for a PR. I am running 60-70 miles a week but have no bike riding experience. The century is in October, one month
after marathon 1 and 1 month before marathon 2. Some friends want to do this century and it sounds like fun but I want to know if it is a bad idea.
avatar
Vivian
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 68
Points : 2500
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:07 pm

It's iffy, but if you're going to do it, expect to get your weekly bike ride up to at least 5 hours - and do 2-3 of those, if possible - before you attempt your century. And of course, schedule the century at the end of a huge cutback week.

Unfortunately, running doesn't translate to cycling as good as the other way around, and with marathons generally being a bit shorter than the 5-7 hours required for a century bike ride, your body's adaptations and fuel usage won't be quite as efficient as you might want them. That said...

I'd suggest starting with 1hr on the bike, add 15min per week, then when you start getting cycling legs, add 20min per week and get up to that 5hr mark. Bring foods with a mixture of carbs and fats on the rides, and shoot for 300-450 calories/hr on the ride.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3110
Points : 7524
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

I rode the bike ride across Nebraska which was 55-85 miles/day for 7 days OK with only 40 miles on the bike that year. I got saddle sore and it wasn't really fun but it wasn't aerobically or muscularly hard.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6360
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 pm

@Julie wrote:I got saddle sore and it wasn't really fun but it wasn't aerobically or muscularly hard.

This.

Get your backside used to it...

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3895
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Kenny B. on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Yesterday I biked 10 miles with my daughter on the back of bike granted it was a crappy rental but I can tell you I was no condition to ride 100 miles. I ain't no cycling maven maybe Randy will chime in.
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4842
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Vivian on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the training advice Mike. That was my next question. Julie, that's amazing that you rode across Nebraska with only 40 miles under your belt. The century seems like a piece of cake compared to that!
avatar
Vivian
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 68
Points : 2500
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Liz R on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Good advice. I'd be most worried about that seat, too.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Posts : 205
Points : 2619
Join date : 2011-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Julio on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:24 am

Have you considered increasing your beer content leading up to the race to account for the extra calories you'll need. The benefit of empty calories is that they're not as heavy and burn quicker when in an intense physical situation like biking.

avatar
Julio
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 32
Points : 2436
Join date : 2011-07-02
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 am

@Julio wrote:Have you considered increasing your beer content leading up to the race to account for the extra calories you'll need. The benefit of empty calories is that they're not as heavy and burn quicker when in an intense physical situation like biking.


BWAHAHAH! OMG, Dave, that is freaking AWESOME!!!! BTW, I agree Smile Approval
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3819
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 am

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Unfortunately, running doesn't translate to cycling as good as the other way around,

I'm actually the opposite with this. If I'm doing a lot of running I can step on a bike without being on it for a while and can just go for hours and have no problems (other than the saddle sore thing). But if I'm doing a lot of cycling without running I can't just pick up and start running without really feeling it.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 4028
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:Unfortunately, running doesn't translate to cycling as good as the other way around,

I'm actually the opposite with this. If I'm doing a lot of running I can step on a bike without being on it for a while and can just go for hours and have no problems (other than the saddle sore thing). But if I'm doing a lot of cycling without running I can't just pick up and start running without really feeling it.

As per usual, for every point there's a counterpoint. Smile
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3110
Points : 7524
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Julie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 am

@Vivian wrote:Thanks for the training advice Mike. That was my next question. Julie, that's amazing that you rode across Nebraska with only 40 miles under your belt. The century seems like a piece of cake compared to that!

As long as you don't have a bad headwind or really hot day you should be OK. But yes try to get used to being in the bike seat or you'll be hurting the next few days.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6360
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:It's iffy, but if you're going to do it, expect to get your weekly bike ride up to at least 5 hours - and do 2-3 of those, if possible - before you attempt your century. And of course, schedule the century at the end of a huge cutback week.

Unfortunately, running doesn't translate to cycling as good as the other way around, and with marathons generally being a bit shorter than the 5-7 hours required for a century bike ride, your body's adaptations and fuel usage won't be quite as efficient as you might want them. That said...

I'd suggest starting with 1hr on the bike, add 15min per week, then when you start getting cycling legs, add 20min per week and get up to that 5hr mark. Bring foods with a mixture of carbs and fats on the rides, and shoot for 300-450 calories/hr on the ride.

I know everyone is different, but I agree with Mike on this one - it took me a while to get cycling legs under me, at least enough so to want to attempt a century ride. Depends on who you are riding with also - it it is more of a group ride in a peloton, it will be much easier.

@Julie wrote:I rode the bike ride across Nebraska which was 55-85 miles/day for 7 days OK with only 40 miles on the bike that year. I got saddle sore and it wasn't really fun but it wasn't aerobically or muscularly hard.
Julie is tough as nails! I would think it would be much more enjoyable to have some quality saddle time first. That being said, I agree with Mike that it is doable - but to enjoy it, I would want to ride at least a metric century or two beforehand...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4291
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  gvey on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 am

Odds are, there will be plenty of rest stops on the century. When you take it easy and get off the bike at the stops, it becomes much less of an ordeal (not like doing 112 miles non-stop). Just try to build up your time in the saddle and you'll be fine. Enjoy!
avatar
gvey
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 14
Points : 2432
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Tim C on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:18 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:Unfortunately, running doesn't translate to cycling as good as the other way around,

I'm actually the opposite with this. If I'm doing a lot of running I can step on a bike without being on it for a while and can just go for hours and have no problems (other than the saddle sore thing). But if I'm doing a lot of cycling without running I can't just pick up and start running without really feeling it.

+1

I bought a bike and started cycling with friends when I hurt my knee running. They could not believe how I could keep up with them on the bike. Rode once every week or 2 and did a century with no issues what so ever.

For me, the huge difference is that when doing a century on a bike you stop at 4 or 5 rest stops. So you only go for 1-1.5 hours and then you stop for 15 minutes and eat / drink. Makes it way easy. The only issue is the saddle pain, but once you get past that, no issues.

But when my knee healed and I started running again, it took me a month before I felt strong running again.
avatar
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Posts : 564
Points : 3740
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 61
Location : Orange County, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Of course the best part of my week was crashing the 2nd to last day and cracking my helmet in 2 pieces and ripping my shoulder up. So...moral of the story is, wear your helmet and if you go over angled rail road tracks, get off the bike and walk it!! I still finished the ride the next day but it was really painful, painful enough to make me forget my saddle soreness. Haha...Crazy times. The happy ending is I got married less than 2 months later but my wedding dress covered most of my scars on the shoulder.

Have fun, yes you should bike first but you are going to be fine. Take breaks for water and snacks and be careful.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6360
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riding a Century off Marathon Training

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum