365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felt a Hundred Different Demons

+37
Lauren
healdgator
Diego
T Miller
Glenn
Michael Enright
Dave P
Mrs. Schuey
fostever
jon c
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Joel H
Seth Harrison
ChasMcG
KBFitz
Penelope
mul21
John Kilpatrick
Jeff F
Matt W
Kenny B.
Dave-O
Jerry
jdholland
Julie
Jim Lentz
Natalie
Chris M
Peg Coover
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Bob
GregC
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
41 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Felt a Hundred Different Demons   - Page 8 Empty Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Julie wrote:sounds great! I have enough with tree branches fallen across the sidewalks from t-storms, I don't know if I'm trail-ready. Seriously good for you for continuing to run those long runs every weekend.

Thanks Julie yeah it has been great getting in the long runs on the weekend. I have actually enjoyed them of late. I think the whole key to getting in the second long run is that I am able to spend that time doing it with Lisa. It is so much fun and enjoyable for me to be able to spend that time with her running.

As for tree branches falling we had more then that this past saturday from this bad storm that rolled into our camp. I will go into more detail about in report about running this past weekend.

Michael Enright wrote:Hmmmmm, would you rather be 36 again, or have an AG win???

Nice job!

Thanks Mike, as much as I liked being 36, I think I'm enjoying being 40 more. Smile But check back with me on that later and I might think differently

Mrs. Schuey wrote:So baby, when are you going to post how awesome you did on the trails this weekend??

Hey a Lisa sighting in my blog! Don't worry it is coming I promise.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Felt a Hundred Different Demons   - Page 8 Empty Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:07 am

Kenny B. wrote:How wonderful a new found love for running! Trails can do that to you. I don't have many cool trails by me but one is decent with 5 mile loop I do enjoy it. However, there are some about 40 to 75min from house that start to get really good and technical but yet to make it there. Time just is not on my side right now. I move through it way to fast. If only I can slow myself down I think I can reverse it. I am getting there I think. Matter of fact when I started writing this post is was 2:39 it is now 2:27. Amazing. bounce

Yeah it is unbelievable Kenny. We have some trials near us but nothing like what I have been running on the last couple of weekends, so it has been worth the 4 hour drive. Plus I love the camping and time with Lisa in the care were we can share our love for one another and talk about all kinds of things and not be in front of a tv.

I have been in your space Kenny were I was moving to fast and not stopping to enjoy it. I'm now trying my best to change that and find a way to balance it all. Balance is good for the heart, mind and soul.

Seth Harrison wrote:I'm so glad to read about your new found love of trail running Schuey. As you know, for years, I've done the great majority of my running on trails, much of it in a beautiful preserve about 30 miles north of Manhattan. It's become so commonplace for me that, as much as I try not to, I sometimes take for granted how beautiful it is to run where there are no streets, no cars, no buildings, and very often no people! Your post is a great reminder for me and I look forward to reading more about your trail running.

Thanks Seth and yes I love it love it. Going forward I want to share with everyone my experience of this new adventure and not only how it is helping my running but how it is also helping me as a person.

Mike MacLellan wrote:I was wondering if you'd just disappeared into the wild, Schuey. Glad to see you're still at least semi-connected to the rest of us Wink

Funny Nick should post about NF... I personally think you should do the one in SF in December. Just sayin'...

Don't temp me Mike, I would love to disappear into the wild! Let's see SF in December and running another 50 miler with a running buddy or at least crewing him, now that sounds like fun. Not sure if I can fit it into the plans of things but something to talk about with Lisa.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Felt a Hundred Different Demons   - Page 8 Empty The New Beginning To Something Special

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 am

The New Beginning To Something Special

At the start of this blog I knew I wanted it to be different and exciting not only for me to read but for others as well. I have always been one to believe that if not only can I learn from what I’m doing but that others can also, then we all are achieving something. I have to admit that maybe the word “learn” isn’t always the correct word to use, let’s say at times others can live through my adventures and feel that even though they don’t want to do that, they can feel and understand my passion for my adventure.

As of late I felt that the passion, desire, learning and adventure has been missing from my blog. Not only has it been missing from my blog but in some ways it has also been missing from my running. I know that sounds funny coming from a person that is having a pretty darn good training cycle. It’s just that I feel that a lot of others have offered a lot of great advice on training and how they approach training and etc.. Don’t get me wrong I still want that to be apart of my blog but I’m just not as knowledgeable about it as people like Dave-O, Chris, Jim, and others. I just don’t know how to talk and describe running like they do. I believe I’m better at relating my passion, feeling and emotions I bring to my training and racing. I have come to realization that some are good at coaching and teaching and that I’m better at explaining and describing my emotions and feelings for what I do.

So were does that put me now and how does all that above relate to my running and training? Well it relates because not only did it seem like my training was getting stale but my blog was also. There are only so many different ways I can go out and do a run and describe that run in a blog post. Sure I believed that by stepping up to the Ultra distance has put some excitement back into my drive to train hard but after awhile I realized that what I had to do training wise was no different then training for a marathon. I started to elude to this in Mike’s blog, not that I was getting burned out on training but I was getting burned out by doing the same running over and over that I have been doing for the past few years. I know some will say why not do this different in your running or change this workout, etc.. I would normally agree with that but the problem wasn’t a matter of the actually type of training runs or the mileage. It was the simple act of running and losing the love, feeling and emotions of the act of running. My drive to train was being driven more by goals and placement in races rather then by the power of the run. Don’t get me wrong I have goals that I want to achieve and I want to do well and place well in races, if I didn’t care about those things why signed up for a race and compete with others? It’s just that those things have become more and more of the driving force to why I run when that was not always the case.

Well that was the case until that last two weekends. So what changed? What changed was a change in scenery and a new take on the sport that I have always wanted to try but just never did it. I have to admit that I owe my change in scenery and stepping out of my comfort zone to the fact that Kevin got me to sign-up for the JFK 50 miler. 15.5 miles of the race is run on some of the toughest trail one can run on, so I knew at some point I would have to do some training on trails. Yes Kevin did warn against doing training on technical trails and that just simple trails would do to get me ready for JFK. Well for most of you that know me that just doesn’t always work. When it comes down to it and I’m faced with it I will accept what challenge is in front of me and do what I have to do. I also must admit that I didn’t know how technical the trails I was going to be running on were until I started running on them.

Two weekends ago Lisa and I made the choice to go check out this place called Pinckney State Recreational Area for a few different reasons. 1. We want to camp for one night and then spend a night with her parents and Pinckney was only a 45min drive to her parents. 2. LIsa had run a 5.5 mile trail race there a few years back and 3. there are over 50 miles of trail there. So when we first got there we feel in love with the rustic camp area were we would be staying. When I lived in Chico, Ca. I was big on hiking and rock climbing and loved being out in nature and for some reason I lost that connection after moving back to Chicago and letting work drive my life rather then allowing my other desires and passion guide me. So in a way I guess not only was I on my way to reconnecting myself with running but also doing the same with camping again.

Then came the morning when I was not only going to take on a new adventure and prepare myself for running my first 50 miler but my eyes, mind, soul and body were going to be introduce to a new special beginning called “Trail Running.” I will try my best to describe my feeling and emotions the first time I hit the trails. It was like no high that I have ever had running. I know it sounds funny, crazy and strange but for me I really found myself out on the Potawatomi trail. It was a combination of things the fresh air, the dirt and mud on the trails, rocks, the toughness of the trails. It was also the beauty of the scenery around me the sounds of nature in general and most of all the absence of being on the roads or a path and just being one with myself and the feeling that I was just this small thing surround by such a unbelievable change of doing something that was unknown.

I have to admit from the moment I step on to the trail and started running, I knew I had found myself again and that I had just found a new love in trail running. Since that first weekend I was just jonesing to be back on the trails, so Lisa and I decided to go back again this past weekend to camp and take on the adventure of running at Pinckney. Sure it would be nice if the trails weren’t as technical but again I have to admit that I love it. I love all the rocks, tree roots, etc. etc. about the challenge of running on these trails. I love that fact that when I’m out for these runs I have to stay engaged the whole time running and that I feel as if I’m apart of the trail and that I have to make decisions on what my next move is going to be. The other great thing that has come out of this new found adventure is that it has put the spice back into my running on the roads again also, although I would like to spend a little more time out on the trails. I think the reason for that is because of the peacefulness and solitude of them.

This is my introduction to my new adventure of trail running, my following blog posts will be more about my actually experience and how my last few runs had gone on the trails and what it was like. I also want to give some reviews on the two trail shoes I’m running in. I would also like to explain and describe to you all about how I’m going about my training these days.

So here is to “The New Beginning To Something Special”, I hope you all stay around and enjoy this adventure and that you can find some things special about it that will help you to get out of your comfort zone and try a new adventure that just might reconnect you and open new doors to your running also.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:33 am

Martin,

This is so wonderful for you to find what the soul has been searching for "connection" - isn't all about relationships I mean without it we would not be able to be who we want to be. (think about it). So for you trail running being outside in the wilderness is your connection because it is the relationship between you (your soul) and the earth and maybe the Divine Spirit. For many this is the way to the soul it is moving meditation while still being grounded to the earth. There is comfort and excitement at the same time when in that place. Your post inspires me to not only towards the glory of trail running but to continue connecting with the earth through the relationship it offers me. For me I have had my best talks with Divine Spirit while moving forward yet feeling grounded and what better way then in the soils of the earth.

May I suggest a good movie for you as well as a good book. Movie is 127 hours true story great movie. Go look it up it's about a hiker/mountain climber. The book I would highly suggest is Explorers of the Infinite. It is the spiritual high one gets when doing extreme sports. The other book is about ultra running called Relentless Forward Progression.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 am

Martin, great job percervering until you found "it" again. I'm sure now you'll be able to take yourself to whole new levels.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 am

The Bull has come unhinged and gone off-road!

Thanks for that blog entry Schuey...very cool. Probably because I'm not a trail runner (I'm the type of runner that enjoys hammering mile repeats at the track), its interesting for me to read about.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Martin,

This is so wonderful for you to find what the soul has been searching for "connection" - isn't all about relationships I mean without it we would not be able to be who we want to be. (think about it). So for you trail running being outside in the wilderness is your connection because it is the relationship between you (your soul) and the earth and maybe the Divine Spirit. For many this is the way to the soul it is moving meditation while still being grounded to the earth. There is comfort and excitement at the same time when in that place. Your post inspires me to not only towards the glory of trail running but to continue connecting with the earth through the relationship it offers me. For me I have had my best talks with Divine Spirit while moving forward yet feeling grounded and what better way then in the soils of the earth.

May I suggest a good movie for you as well as a good book. Movie is 127 hours true story great movie. Go look it up it's about a hiker/mountain climber. The book I would highly suggest is Explorers of the Infinite. It is the spiritual high one gets when doing extreme sports. The other book is about ultra running called Relentless Forward Progression.

Thanks for the suggestions Kenny, Lisa actually picked up the book 127 hours for me today at a book store that is closing for 5 bucks, also I just put “Explorers of the Infinite” on hold at the Library and will pick it up this evening. I have been meaning to pick up “Relentless Forward Progression” by Byron Powell.

As for “to find what the soul has been searching for “connection”” yes it is true. I won’t say I was ever disconnected with my running just searching to take my running, mind, body and desire to a higher level. I love road running and it still brings me much joy and challenges.

I just feel that things happen for a reason and that my soul has been seeking the trails for a while to help find that balance that I need. To be honest it really started back in March. And I owe that to Chris Mckee, Chris had told me that after we run the National half the next day he had signed me up to run a 10 mile trail run. At first I was like are you crazy dude? One. I don’t run on trails and 2. The day after racing a half marathon!!

Not only was the run was suppose to be just for fun and taking it easy. With in a .25, here is Chris pushing saying “go Schuey, go race this thing, we are running to slow” he kept doing this to me for the next .50 mile and finally I gave in and I took off. Now mind you I was not in the gear that would allow for one to race a 10 mile trail race on a pretty technical tough course. I was wearing a pair of old heavy North Face hiking shoes, long sleeve shirt. I was more dressed to run a slow recovery run. Result I finished 12th overall after passing a shit loaded of people not that really mattered.

What did matter was how much fun I had running on the trail and the excitement and coolness of it all. I can remember finishing and going man that was tough but at the same time wishing that I had trails like this in my back yard because how much fun would this be to do.

“So for you trail running being outside in the wilderness is your connection because it is the relationship between you (your soul) and the earth and maybe the Divine Spirit. For many this is the way to the soul it is moving meditation while still being grounded to the earth. There is comfort and excitement at the same time when in that place.” Kenny I really think that what you say here is so true about me. There is no doubt that being out in the wilderness because it is a connection to who I am and it allows me to connect even more to who I am and really see my soul for what it true is. I know to some of you this sounds goofy and a little out there, but you all must remember you are talking about a guy that finds true connection with the Grateful Dead. It is truly hard to explain the transformation that happens when I’m out in nature/wilderness, I guess the best way I can put it is that all the barriers and masks come down and I see life and myself for who I truly am.

Yes, this does happen why being in the act of running even thought my focus and concentration is on running. No, it’s not a runners high but there is a high that is going on while being free with nature and running at the same time that allows my mind and soul to be connected with what is taking place. I can remember being in college and took a backpacking class, yes you read that right at Chico Sate you could take a backpacking class for credits! Awesome, anyway on our trip to the Trinity Wilderness, which was my first time in the back country, I remember the instructor of the course looking at me and telling me that I was the one that needed this the most. So as I seat here today writing this post I’m reminded that there is no surprise that I love trailing running so much because like 19 years ago I have been reconnected to a place that my soul and inner self feels at ease, comfort and free to be me.

I’m flattered that I can help inspire you Kenny and I hope to do the same for others, while at the same time inspire myself to continue the journey of searching for all that I can be. One of the most wonderful things that I have found through everyone that I’m connected with on this forum, is that we all help to inspire and motivate one another in many different ways day to day. The only thing that we have to do as people is to be able to open our minds and eyes to the lessons, motivation and inspiration that everyone is passing on.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Martin, great job percervering until you found "it" again. I'm sure now you'll be able to take yourself to whole new levels.

Thanks for Alex, like I said to Kenny I don't think I ever lost "it" just was following what I thought I needed to help keep me balanced and excited about running. And there is no doubt that running on the trails will help take me to new levels not only on the trails but also in road races.

Dave-O wrote:The Bull has come unhinged and gone off-road!

Thanks for that blog entry Schuey...very cool. Probably because I'm not a trail runner (I'm the type of runner that enjoys hammering mile repeats at the track), its interesting for me to read about.

Yeah the Bull has become unhinged and in a way possibly lost his mind! Then again was I ever normal from the start?

I have to agree with you that I still love hammering out runs on the roads and enjoy the hell out of tempo runs and etc.. I just feel that the trail running will help keep everything fresh and help break up the different types of training.

I hope that I can continue to interest you with my blog entries not only on my road training but with my journey's on the trails as they continue. Thanks for reading Dave!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Schuey wrote: One of the most wonderful things that I have found through everyone that I’m connected with on this forum, is that we all help to inspire and motivate one another in many different ways day to day. The only thing that we have to do as people is to be able to open our minds and eyes to the lessons, motivation and inspiration that everyone is passing on.

Schuey, you continue to provide that inspiration for all of us. I loved your posts about your new found love of trail running. As I said previously, for me, it was a great reminder of how fortunate I am to be able to run in a natural setting almost every time out. I'm so glad that it afforded you the opportunity to break out of a rut and rediscover your love for running.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Martin well said. By the way I have dreams sometimes of running in the mountains. Not sure if it a calling or a reminder of possibly past life!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Glad you found a new avenue to enjoy more running. I guess you definitely need that to be an ultra runner. I think most ultra runners live near some sort of trail system to be able to keep it fresh considering all the miles it requires. Maybe you and Lisa can hit some of the Rockford winter trail races with me next year, you would definitely be a contender to win some of those. I placed 8th in the 15K last year, for heavens sake! hey, I'll be doing one of those 312 fun runs tonight starting at the Park grill and going south so maybe I'll see you! "So many roads(trails) to ease my soul."
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:28 pm

.[/quote]

I just feel that things happen for a reason and that my soul has been seeking the trails for a while to help find that balance that I need. To be honest it really started back in March. And I owe that to Chris Mckee, Chris had told me that after we run the National half the next day he had signed me up to run a 10 mile trail run. At first I was like are you crazy dude? One. I don’t run on trails and 2. The day after racing a half marathon!!

Not only was the run was suppose to be just for fun and taking it easy. With in a .25, here is Chris pushing saying “go Schuey, go race this thing, we are running to slow” he kept doing this to me for the next .50 mile and finally I gave in and I took off. Now mind you I was not in the gear that would allow for one to race a 10 mile trail race on a pretty technical tough course. I was wearing a pair of old heavy North Face hiking shoes, long sleeve shirt. I was more dressed to run a slow recovery run. Result I finished 12th overall after passing a shit loaded of people not that really mattered.

What did matter was how much fun I had running on the trail and the excitement and coolness of it all. I can remember finishing and going man that was tough but at the same time wishing that I had trails like this in my back yard because how much fun would this be to do.
[/quote]

The Backyard Burn! I was glad you had fun at that race. I DID push you into it - felt a little bad for not letting you relax but hey it worked. For whatever reason, my buddy Scott was just not ready to race hard that day. Our plan was for you and me to guide him to winning the trail race series for his AG but as soon as we started I knew he was cooked from National the day before and was going to be going slow slow slow. I had committed to stay with him regardless but I couldn't deny you the chance to really hammer it on a true trail run so I had to kick you in the rear and get you moving. So glad I did and that you really groove to running trails. We can run stuff like that any time you visit. Oh wait, you WILL be running stuff like that when you are here in November. Actually, the AT portion of JFK is much much crazier. You will love it. Anyway, you put a smile on my face by bringing up our National Half/Backyard Burn 10 double. Looking forward to THREE Schuey family sightings coming up. I'm working on Jennifer and Cassidy to get them to come to Philly with us.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Wonderful revelation, Martin - and I sure will be turning in to the next chapter. In fact, I cannot wait as your enthusiasm and emotional eloquence mean a lot to me. I'm so happy to be invited...........
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:36 pm

Martin - I am glad that you have found a new/different passion for running. I think that this is going to be a great chapter in your running career. New paths to find and new adventures to take. There is just something about being one with nature and losing yourself in the run. Enjoy the journey!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Schuey wrote:

I LOVE IT! Man, you know how to get someone excited! I've never even tried running 10 feet on an actual running trail, but I am excited for you! It is going to be really fun to follow your journey - how cool is that! I think you short change yourself a little on your running knowledge, but you have always been an inspiration to me. Great stuff! I'll tell you something - I can remember back to my first marathon when I was crashing out - every time I wanted to walk, I would think to myself "I can't let all of those people down - that Schuey guy trained for a marathon in a pool for God's sake and I can't let him down - suck it up". Of course it didn't exactly work Mad , but you have the ability to do that for people!

Great to see the excitement!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 pm

What a great revelation, and great post describing it! I can relate to losing the passion for running and doing it for the wrong reasons, and feeling stale. Getting that passion for running back again is a great feeling. I think being out in nature is a good way to re-connect with yourself and your goals.

I love your positive attitude. You should be a motivational coach. So maybe you don't know a ton about the technical side of running, but you have a gift for being positive and conveying that to others and making them believe in themselves. That is just as valuable as technical knowledge.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Sheesh, I don't check in for a few days and see I missed a huge blog entry. It was really interesting to read, Martin, and I can see your passion (which has never diminished from the time I first met you) getting stronger. I know you will be very successful at this.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 pm

That's pretty much the exact feeling I had the first time I hit the trails up here. Haven't gone back to them since I've been here (trying to taper a little for my race on Saturday) but man, I hope that feeling comes back when I get back into the wild.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Sup, bud?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm excited for your trail running and glad to see you found something new and special that seems to have taken care of the potential burned out feeling! Sounds great and I'm looking forward to reading about it!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:38 am

Man, after talking WS100 with TWO runners last week (one who ran it, one who's paced it 3 times), I really, really hope we get in.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 pm

How technical are the trails that you are training on?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 am

Seth Harrison wrote:Schuey, you continue to provide that inspiration for all of us. I loved your posts about your new found love of trail running. As I said previously, for me, it was a great reminder of how fortunate I am to be able to run in a natural setting almost every time out. I'm so glad that it afforded you the opportunity to break out of a rut and rediscover your love for running.

Thanks Seth and you also continue to provide inspiration also. Yep I sure do love the trail running and can't wait to hit the trails this coming Labor Day weekend.

Kenny B. wrote:Martin well said. By the way I have dreams sometimes of running in the mountains. Not sure if it a calling or a reminder of possibly past life!

Kenny I dream of running in the mountains all the time! I'm sure it is a calling for you Zen master.

fostever wrote:Glad you found a new avenue to enjoy more running. I guess you definitely need that to be an ultra runner. I think most ultra runners live near some sort of trail system to be able to keep it fresh considering all the miles it requires. Maybe you and Lisa can hit some of the Rockford winter trail races with me next year, you would definitely be a contender to win some of those. I placed 8th in the 15K last year, for heavens sake! hey, I'll be doing one of those 312 fun runs tonight starting at the Park grill and going south so maybe I'll see you! "So many roads(trails) to ease my soul."

Yes we plan on hitting up some of those Rockford races with you this winter. Also maybe one of these days you can come hit up some of these trails we are running in Michigan.

I just missing seeing you on your 312 run, I know Lisa saw you. I had just ran of the lakefront right before you went by according to were Lisa saw you.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Wonderful revelation, Martin - and I sure will be turning in to the next chapter. In fact, I cannot wait as your enthusiasm and emotional eloquence mean a lot to me. I'm so happy to be invited...........

Michele thanks for being tuned in! Thanks for your comments on my enthusiasm and emotional eloquence, there is no doubt that you would also be invited! There are still a lot of people on here I can't wait to meet, but it has been a long time coming for Lisa and to meet you in person. So we CAN'T WAIT.

Nick Morris wrote:Martin - I am glad that you have found a new/different passion for running. I think that this is going to be a great chapter in your running career. New paths to find and new adventures to take. There is just something about being one with nature and losing yourself in the run. Enjoy the journey!!

Thanks Nick and I know we need to get up there and see you soon! No doubt that I have found a new/different passion for running. I also agree that there is something about being out in nature and not only being lost in myself but my surroundings also.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Schuey wrote:

I LOVE IT! Man, you know how to get someone excited! I've never even tried running 10 feet on an actual running trail, but I am excited for you! It is going to be really fun to follow your journey - how cool is that! I think you short change yourself a little on your running knowledge, but you have always been an inspiration to me. Great stuff! I'll tell you something - I can remember back to my first marathon when I was crashing out - every time I wanted to walk, I would think to myself "I can't let all of those people down - that Schuey guy trained for a marathon in a pool for God's sake and I can't let him down - suck it up". Of course it didn't exactly work Mad , but you have the ability to do that for people!

Great to see the excitement!

Thanks John, I really don't know how to respond to your post. If you ever get the chance someday go out and run on a trail, no doubt it is a different experience from running on the roads. Don't get me wrong I love running on the roads but ever since I moved from California I have missed the trails and it seems like I have found a way to have them back in my life in the Midwest.

Yeah I will never forget my 2008 Boston training cycle, I didn't run a PR at that race but I will admit that I'm most proud of myself for that training cycle and finishing that race.

Penelope wrote:What a great revelation, and great post describing it! I can relate to losing the passion for running and doing it for the wrong reasons, and feeling stale. Getting that passion for running back again is a great feeling. I think being out in nature is a good way to re-connect with yourself and your goals.

I love your positive attitude. You should be a motivational coach. So maybe you don't know a ton about the technical side of running, but you have a gift for being positive and conveying that to others and making them believe in themselves. That is just as valuable as technical knowledge.

Thanks P, I have always believed in having a positive attitude. I guess you could say that I was taught a long time ago that a positive attitude will take you much further in life then a negative attitude will. I have thought a lot about trying to be a motivational coach, I feel that would not only be a lot of fun but also a great way to help others.

JohnP wrote:Sheesh, I don't check in for a few days and see I missed a huge blog entry. It was really interesting to read, Martin, and I can see your passion (which has never diminished from the time I first met you) getting stronger. I know you will be very successful at this.

Well John after my little break this past week you didn't miss much more. Hope you were able to catch up. Thanks for your kind comments John.

Mike MacLellan wrote:That's pretty much the exact feeling I had the first time I hit the trails up here. Haven't gone back to them since I've been here (trying to taper a little for my race on Saturday) but man, I hope that feeling comes back when I get back into the wild.

Pretty dam cool feeling Mike? Hope you have been getting back on the trails more now.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:40 am

Chris M wrote:Sup, bud?

You know what is up bud! YOU! Glad to read that your storm wasn't all that bad. From how the news was talking, one would have thought that the East Coast was going to fall into the Ocean. All in all a crazy week for you Earthquake, wine bottles falling on you, Garmin distance being off, crazy storm and now a delayed vacation! Man oh man what can one do.

Julie wrote:I'm excited for your trail running and glad to see you found something new and special that seems to have taken care of the potential burned out feeling! Sounds great and I'm looking forward to reading about it!

Thanks Julie and I hope you enjoy reading in the future.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Man, after talking WS100 with TWO runners last week (one who ran it, one who's paced it 3 times), I really, really hope we get in.

I know how about it, that race seems like it would awesome to do. I'm willing to bet after you talked to those two runners I bet they put WS100 in the same light most marathon runners would put Boston. I hope we get in also.

Nick Morris wrote:How technical are the trails that you are training on?

The trails at Pinckney, Mi are pretty technical, now there are a couple of trails within the system that are not as bad but still not easy. There is a lot of tree roots, rocks, sand, branches and hills. There is no doubt that outside of the elevation one would think that they were running on some tough trail out west.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next