365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Training for Life

5 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2 - Just Training for Life - Page 4 Empty Re: Just Training for Life

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:47 am

Half Boring race report is posted.

I did manage to run it at MP but was disappointed with my finish.  I struggled the last couple miles.  This is not where I expected to be at this point in my training.  It is better than I expected to do considering the things life has thrown in my way.

Tired, stiff, and sore...as expected.  Melissa has a couple rest days on my schedule and then easy running later in the week.

It's decision time.  Do I continue to train for CIM?  Is 12 weeks enough time to prepare?  Can I get my head on straight...and will life's twists and turns allow me to keep it on straight?  Options...
  • Continue to train for CIM and see how things go.
  • Choose a spring marathon.  If so, do I run CIM and then recover and train for Eugene or Newport or do I forego CIM to better prepare for a spring marathon?
  • Put my BQ goals on hold till my life settles down.  I would continue to run.

I guess that I need to mention that a fall marathon is not an option next year.  It looks like my farming commitments will increase greatly next summer as Marty and I will be farming independently and labor is difficult/impossible to find.  We aren't sure when we can transition to retirement due to the drought and economic issues.  And we're leaving for Australia the 2nd week of November.  Training for an early November marathon is not realistic.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:24 pm

I'll recommend two things:
1.  Don't run CIM, but keep on running in order to maintain your base.  Race as it fits, not because you have to.
2.  Run CIM for fun.  You haven't run CIM past 18 miles without imploding, so make the goal to just finish at whatever pace, however LONG you're out there, to run the whole thing without imploding.  THEN, you'll know in your mind what it feels like to do it.  And THEN you'll train for a BQ, if life permits.
3.  Otherwise, farm life is the boss and revert to #1.

I'll check out your sure to be Half Boring to read about. Laughing
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:56 pm

ounce wrote:I'll recommend two things:
1.  Don't run CIM, but keep on running in order to maintain your base.  Race as it fits, not because you have to.
2.  Run CIM for fun.  You haven't run CIM past 18 miles without imploding, so make the goal to just finish at whatever pace, however LONG you're out there, to run the whole thing without imploding.  THEN, you'll know in your mind what it feels like to do it.  And THEN you'll train for a BQ, if life permits.

Thanks for the input Doug.  

I'm leaning toward #2...today.  You never know what I'll be thinking tomorrow.  I dug out my CIM results from 2021.  I made it through mile 19 @BQMP and mile 20 wasn't to far off.  The fade really started in mile 21 and it was only the last 1.2 miles that were horrible.  I was shooting for a 4:30 finish as I figured that's what I'd need to get bib but my actual BQ only requires 4:35.  I didn't fall completely off that pace till the very end of the 25th mile.  So, it's doable if the stars are aligned. 

If you asked me today I would say that I'm going to run CIM with the goal of starting at BQ pace and then making a decision somewhere after the halfway point about continuing at BQ pace or slowing so that I could finish feeling well. 

Running a half at BQ MP over 12 weeks before CIM is nothing to be ashamed of...maybe I do have time to get ready physically if I can just get my head on straight.  And if not I can still be proud of doing my best.  

Nice 10 miler today left me feeling good.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:22 am

nkrichards wrote:

I'm leaning toward #2...today.  You never know what I'll be thinking tomorrow.  I dug out my CIM results from 2021.  I made it through mile 19 @BQMP and mile 20 wasn't to far off.  The fade really started in mile 21 and it was only the last 1.2 miles that were horrible.  I was shooting for a 4:30 finish as I figured that's what I'd need to get bib but my actual BQ only requires 4:35.  I didn't fall completely off that pace till the very end of the 25th mile.  So, it's doable if the stars are aligned. 

If you asked me today I would say that I'm going to run CIM with the goal of starting at BQ pace and then making a decision somewhere after the halfway point about continuing at BQ pace or slowing so that I could finish feeling well. 

Running a half at BQ MP over 12 weeks before CIM is nothing to be ashamed of...maybe I do have time to get ready physically if I can just get my head on straight.  And if not I can still be proud of doing my best.  

Well, I was off a couple of miles.  At the risk of injecting personal marathon history, I won't run a marathon if I don't think I can finish it in the allotted time under any conditions.  I have to be able to decide based on quantifiable data because I have invested SO much time, miles, and getting up at midnight to run 24 miles in a long run in 5 hours and 30 minutes.  That's my warm and fuzzy.

If I can't, I will gladly run the Half because I'll be SO overtrained.

But you do you and I'll be rootin' for you!

Oh, I have another song for you to review.  "You're Not the Best" by Charlie Robison.  He sang this song on his wedding day to Emily Strayer in 1999.  She is one of The Chicks (used to be The Dixie Chicks) and they divorced in 2008.  

Sadly, while looking for who he first married, I saw where Robison died last week of cardiac arrest at the age of 59.  In 2018, Robison retired from singing because of a botched vocal chord surgery that left him unable to sing.  He had a few songs that I enjoyed.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:02 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Well, I was off a couple of miles.  At the risk of injecting personal marathon history, I won't run a marathon if I don't think I can finish it in the allotted time under any conditions.  I have to be able to decide based on quantifiable data because I have invested SO much time, miles, and getting up at midnight to run 24 miles in a long run in 5 hours and 30 minutes.  That's my warm and fuzzy.

If I can't, I will gladly run the Half because I'll be SO overtrained.

But you do you and I'll be rootin' for you!

Oh, I have another song for you to review.  "You're Not the Best" by Charlie Robison.  He sang this song on his wedding day to Emily Strayer in 1999.  She is one of The Chicks (used to be The Dixie Chicks) and they divorced in 2008.  

Sadly, while looking for who he first married, I saw where Robison died last week of cardiac arrest at the age of 59.  In 2018, Robison retired from singing because of a botched vocal chord surgery that left him unable to sing.  He had a few songs that I enjoyed.
We're pretty much on the same page.  If I don't think I can finish CIM feeling good I won't start.  That means feeling good even at a slower "fun" pace.  If I run I'll choose my pace based on how training goes for the next 11 weeks...or I'll stay home.  Unfortunately CIM does not offer a half so I can't drop down.

I had a really good run this morning...even with a busy farming schedule and a bit of DOMS after restarting my core/strength work.  Very encouraging.

I'll listen to the recommended song.  It's fun to try new things.  Very Happy

Rest day tomorrow which means I just need to do my core/strength work and farm but no running.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:45 pm

2 - Just Training for Life - Page 4 Img_0611
Owen's first cross country meet.  He's on the left.  Finished middle of the pack but it was an impressive effort to catch and barely pass another boy in the final straightaway.  More importantly he had fun!

We had pockets of frost this morning.  What a Face  Long sleeves and gloves to start my 14 miler.  It wasn't a fast run but it was solid and I finished strong....and then hurried home to rake hay.  Hoping we can finish up 4th cutting alfalfa before the storm arrives early next week.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:48 pm

Very nice for Owen.  He's caught the bug, unless another sport in the Spring he loves more.

14 miles, eh?  You put frost in your pockets?  Isn't that the stuff on a beer mug fresh out of the freezer?

We hit 97, I think, today.   Have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:04 pm

ounce wrote:Very nice for Owen.  He's caught the bug, unless another sport in the Spring he loves more.

14 miles, eh?  You put frost in your pockets?  Isn't that the stuff on a beer mug fresh out of the freezer?

We hit 97, I think, today.   Have a good weekend.
It will be interesting to see if Owen continues to enjoy cross country.  Right now it's purely a social thing...only sport offered for 6th grade this time of year.  He tried soccer, basketball, and baseball.  Baseball seems to be his favorite as his Mom and Grampa Roy are into baseball.  But it was good to see that he had enough competitive drive to push hard at the finish.  Heading out shortly to watch him run.  I know a lot of the kids on the team so it's fun.

We're getting rain and cooler temps...nice running conditions.

My vertigo has been acting up the last few days.  Not sure what brought it on.  Comes and goes but is not fun at all.  Fortunately it doesn't seem to affect my running.  Worst when I tip my head back and when I lay down.  Makes chest presses...and going to bed uncomfortable.  And my stomach is not happy either.

8 miles today with 4 @ MP(10:19).  Hit the paces easily finishing with a pace of 10:09.  

And then during the cooldown I had a confrontation with a dog.  I had run past twice earlier with no issues but the 3rd time it refused to let me pass.  Snarled and charged each time I moved.  I yelled at it to go home and it would back off a step or two but then charge again if I moved.  After several minutes a young boy emerged from the house...not sure why he wasn't in school.  He wasn't able to control the dog so he went and got his sister.  They finally distracted it long enough to allow me to pass.  I reported the incident...it's on a popular running/walking path in town.  Thought for sure it was going to bite! What a Face

Need to organize our dinner before I head to the cross country meet...and I'm tired...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:32 am

It's all that rain causing a landslide in your head, again!  Let me know, if you wanted the treatment for when I had it.  Wasn't a quick fix, but it sure made a difference.  I think it's been 5-6 months since my last shaking of the snow globe.

I don't know if a whistle (like refs blow) would do anything, but it would be noisy!

Your perfume isn't Eau de Purina Dog Chow, is it?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:29 pm

ounce wrote:It's all that rain causing a landslide in your head, again!  Let me know, if you wanted the treatment for when I had it.  Wasn't a quick fix, but it sure made a difference.  I think it's been 5-6 months since my last shaking of the snow globe.

I don't know if a whistle (like refs blow) would do anything, but it would be noisy!

Your perfume isn't Eau de Purina Dog Chow, is it?
I vaguely remember the movement my doctor suggested when he first diagnosed my vertigo.  It's not pleasant as it brings on the vertigo symptoms when you do it but it did go away after a few "treatments"  I would be interested in learning more about the treatment that you used.  It's better today...but still comes and goes.  I'm pleased that it doesn't seem to affect my running.

The odd part about the dog confrontation is we run there often and it's the first time I've ever had an issue.  Hard to be prepared for something that happens so infrequently.  Kind of like trying to fix something that works intermittently....it always seems to work fine when you try to fix it.  I have carried pepper spray off and on.  After awhile I stop carrying it...and then have another incident in a different location.  Not to worried about it.  The sheriff was going to head out and talk to them.  I was mainly concerned about others.  This is the route that the high school cross country and track teams often run.

Speaking of cross country...I went to Owen's meet yesterday.  The coach told the kids that this course was flat...the Madras course has a short, steep hill...so their goal should be to cut a minute off their time.  Owen ran 17:20 in Madras and 16:15 yesterday so he met his goal.  More importantly, he's having fun.

Marty and I did our core/strength work this morning and then I headed out for an easy 6 with Janice.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:58 pm

Nice 15 miler today.  I struggled to find the motivation to start.  It was raining...  But start I did.  The first half was significantly faster than I planned and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to hold the pace.  But I did.  And I finished strong.  And it felt good.  Wet and chilly but still good.  Pace was 11:01...should have sprinted that last little bit.   Laughing Running

Looking forward to an easy day tomorrow.  Janice is organizing a group run.  She wants to run a 15K.  I'll jump in part way through.  I only need 4 easy miles but don't think it would hurt to run a bit longer if I'm running at Janice's pace.  Coffee planned after the run.

And what will Coach Melissa have in store for me next week?  affraid
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:16 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice 15 miler today.  I struggled to find the motivation to start.  It was raining...  But start I did.  The first half was significantly faster than I planned and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to hold the pace.  But I did.  And I finished strong.  And it felt good.  Wet and chilly but still good.  Pace was 11:01...should have sprinted that last little bit.   Laughing Running

Looking forward to an easy day tomorrow.  Janice is organizing a group run.  She wants to run a 15K.  I'll jump in part way through.  I only need 4 easy miles but don't think it would hurt to run a bit longer if I'm running at Janice's pace.  Coffee planned after the run.

Coffee and donut shop coffee?

Seems like your confidence is getting better, too.  Knowing you can do it is 3/4ths of the battle...maybe more!

Ummmm, I think she'll have a 12 miler as the long run.

Keep at it!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:51 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Nice 15 miler today.  I struggled to find the motivation to start.  It was raining...  But start I did.  The first half was significantly faster than I planned and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to hold the pace.  But I did.  And I finished strong.  And it felt good.  Wet and chilly but still good.  Pace was 11:01...should have sprinted that last little bit.   Laughing Running

Seems like your confidence is getting better, too.  Knowing you can do it is 3/4ths of the battle...maybe more!

Keep at it!
We go to Eagle Bakery...a slight step up from a donut shop.  It's owned by a Mennonite family.  It's only open Friday and Saturday morning/early afternoon.  Very community oriented.  Coffee is pretty ordinary but free!  Baked goods are not whole grain but it's a nice fun treat after a hard week of exercise.  We go for the social aspect more than the coffee and pastries.

Yes, I am feeling better about my training.  But training is only half the battle.  I need to execute on race day!

So no measly 12 mile long run this week.  I have two SOS (something of substance) workouts each week.  For the next two weeks they are...
  • 11 mi w/3x1K @9:53, 3x800 @9:43, 3x600 @9:27
  • 16 mile negative split with strict instructions to choose a course with a tough finish...elevation
  • 10 mi w/6 mi @MP (10:18)
  • 11 mi w/8 mi progression.  2@10:48, 2@10:38, 2@10:28, 2@10:18(MP)

I'm definitely getting into the thick of marathon training!  The next few weeks are going to be challenging.  affraid Running Sleep Running Sleep

Maybe I should get a headstart. Sleep
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:30 pm

Wow, best wishes on marathon training! These cooler temps will help!! 

I know it's been a long time since I've stopped by. Glad your stress test went as well as it did and the bears etc looked very very exciting! I love vacations but they wear me out at my age so I don't blame you. My parents don't even take trips anymore, at least not out of state.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:21 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Keep at it!
We go to Eagle Bakery...a slight step up from a donut shop.  It's owned by a Mennonite family.  It's only open Friday and Saturday morning/early afternoon.  Very community oriented.  Coffee is pretty ordinary but free!  Baked goods are not whole grain but it's a nice fun treat after a hard week of exercise.  We go for the social aspect more than the coffee and pastries.

Yes, I am feeling better about my training.  But training is only half the battle.  I need to execute on race day!

So no measly 12 mile long run this week.  I have two SOS (something of substance) workouts each week.  For the next two weeks they are...
  • 16 mile negative split with strict instructions to choose a course with a tough finish...elevation

I'm definitely getting into the thick of marathon training!  The next few weeks are going to be challenging.  affraid Running Sleep Running Sleep

Jiminy, Nancy!  16 mile negative split with going uphill at the finish?  Were you a day late on paying the coach??

There's an old running axiom that may apply to you, this year:  "Race your training."

Whelp, execute your orders, soldier!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:04 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Keep at it!

Jiminy, Nancy!  16 mile negative split with going uphill at the finish?  Were you a day late on paying the coach??

There's an old running axiom that may apply to you, this year:  "Race your training."

Yes, there is going to be a fine line...over training vs appropriate preparation...that we're going to have to watch closely during this training cycle.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:11 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Keep at it!

Yes, there is going to be a fine line...over training vs appropriate preparation...that we're going to have to watch closely during this training cycle.
I wanted to add that Coach Melissa...and I...are trying to work on a couple of my weak areas.  If you remember, I wasn't able to speed up at the end of the Boring Half.  In fact I struggled to maintain MP.  The course was downhill the first half and then uphill on the return.  The hills were small rollers concentrated in the last 3-4 miles.  And CIM is a net downhill course but does have some rollers in the last few miles.  So...we're trying to prepare me both mentally and physically for the finish.  My legs need to practice speeding up or at least maintaining when the rollers show up near the end of the run.  And I need to know that I have that capability.

We're using the philosophy of Hanson's Marathon Method but it's modified due to my age.  Instead of running 6 days a week with 3 SOS runs, I'm running 5 days per week with only 2 SOS runs.  That gives me more recovery time between hard efforts.

Good run yesterday.  I incorporated some dynamic stretching (skips, high knees, butt kicks) and some short strides in my 2 mile warmup.  The 7 miles of intervals felt good.
  • 3x1K @ 9:57,9:53,9:49 (goal pace 9:53)
  • 3x800 @ 9:41,9:42,9:41 (goal pace 9:43)
  • 3x600 @9:19,9:20,9:15 (goal pace 9:27)

The cool down was a bit rough.  I had mixed up a bottle of Infinit and sipped on it before, during, and after my warmup.  Then I set aside the small remaining amount.  I stopped to drink it and walk a few steps after the intervals.  I really struggled to get my body going again.  Good thing the workout wasn't any longer!  It was a reminder to fuel early and often.

I did 20 minutes of stretching and rolling last night.  My legs were reminding me how important that was!

Marty and I did 40 minutes of upper body strength/core work this morning.  Rest day today...I'll need to spend some time in the tractor.  I may try and find time to do my PT exercises...deadlifts, squats, single leg bridge, and some stretching...this afternoon/evening.  

Enjoying some cooler but Indian Summer type weather here.  It's nice.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:41 pm

Update on my 16 miler.  You'll remember that Coach Melissa "suggested" I choose a route with a slightly more challenging finish.  I did!  affraid

I've been doing most of my long runs at the viewpoints overlooking Lake Billy Chinook.  I stuck closer to home today to incorporate some rollers into my route.
  • 15 miles last week @11:00  HR 148 Elevation gain 180/loss 190
  • 16 miles this week @10:53 HR 146 Elevation gain 630/loss 643 with most of the gain in miles 12, 13 & 14.  More moderate gain in the last two miles.  It was a tough run but I managed a solid negative split.  I started faster than intended and wasn't confident I could hold on for a good finish.  I did.  Also did a great job practicing fueling.  cheers

I checked out the elevation at CIM.  Total for the marathon is gain 558/loss 866.  Most of the downhill is in the first half and it's rollers.  There are a few small rollers in the last 10K but they are pretty minor.  Probably more challenging mentally than physically.

I'm off to play with Katie tomorrow.  She rented e-bikes and we're riding on the car free historic hwy in the Columbia River Gorge.  Views, fall colors, waterfalls...and ice cream!

I'll postpone my 4 mile recovery run until Sunday morning.

Tired and my legs are a bit sore but not as bad as expected.  It will be an early night for me tonight though.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:06 am

Enjoy your E day with Katie.

A good, sold negative on a tougher route sure is good for the mental.

Well done!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:11 pm

nkrichards wrote:Update on my 16 miler.  You'll remember that Coach Melissa "suggested" I choose a route with a slightly more challenging finish.  I did!  affraid

I've been doing most of my long runs at the viewpoints overlooking Lake Billy Chinook.  I stuck closer to home today to incorporate some rollers into my route.
  • 16 miles this week @10:53 HR 146 Elevation gain 630/loss 643 with most of the gain in miles 12, 13 & 14.  More moderate gain in the last two miles.  It was a tough run but I managed a solid negative split.  I started faster than intended and wasn't confident I could hold on for a good finish.  I did.  Also did a great job practicing fueling.  cheers

I checked out the elevation at CIM.  Total for the marathon is gain 558/loss 866.  Most of the downhill is in the first half and it's rollers.  There are a few small rollers in the last 10K but they are pretty minor.  Probably more challenging mentally than physically.

I'm off to play with Katie tomorrow.  She rented e-bikes and we're riding on the car free historic hwy in the Columbia River Gorge.  Views, fall colors, waterfalls...and ice cream!

Tired and my legs are a bit sore but not as bad as expected.  It will be an early night for me tonight though.

I've run CIM several times, Nancy. It's a great course and where I ran my second-fastest and most-satisfying marathon, by far. 

I can share my experiences about the course if you'd like. Let me know!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:33 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Update on my 16 miler.  You'll remember that Coach Melissa "suggested" I choose a route with a slightly more challenging finish.  I did!  affraid

I've run CIM several times, Nancy. It's a great course and where I ran my second-fastest and most-satisfying marathon, by far. 

I would love to hear about your experience on the course.  And I'd also like to know where you ran your fastest marathon.  Was it at Eugene?  If I don't reach my goal in December I'm considering changing things up and running a spring marathon...either Eugene or Newport.

I've had some good and bad experiences at CIM.
  • 2009 CIM 4:14:59 Goal 4:05:59  1st marathon.  On pace through mile 24 and then just died!
  • 2010 Marshall 4:06:15 Goal 4:05:59  Just missed it!  Slowed in the last mile.
  • 2013 Hamilton 4:04:01 Goal 4:10  Got my BQ...not a negative split.
  • 2015 Boston...
  • 2016 CIM My only DNF.  I was actually running pretty well but panicked at mile 20 and stepped off the course.
  • 2017 Indianapolis 4:59:27  Panicked at mile 20 again but this time I didn't have an exit route.  Walked a bit and then finished running.
  • 2021 CIM 4:42:23 Goal 4:30 Backup goal 4:35 On pace through mile 21 and didn't lose my backup goal until the last mile.
  • 2022 CIM 5:11:11 Goal 4:30 Backup goal 4:35 On pace through mile 18 and then totally lost it!  Walked a lot of the rest of the course.  
  • 2023 CIM ???         Goal 4:30 Backup goal 4:35

So I ran some decent races at CIM.  My marathon debut there was actually a pretty darn good race.  I just had a mental breakdown in 2016 with memories of heartbreak hill dancing in my head.  In 2021 I think I just ran out of fuel...I hit the wall hard.  Mom died two weeks before the 2022 race.  I was a mess before I even started the race...I wasn't willing to admit it but I guess I'm not the superhero I thought I was.

I do think part of my problem is still mental...   But I do think proper training and proper fueling on race day are the key.  I think I can be successful on the course if I fuel properly and that will help me keep my head in the game.  

I will admit that I do wonder if 16 mile long runs and accumulative fatigue can get me to the finish line but I need to trust my coach and my training...or switch it up...but now is not the time to make that decision.  I'm to invested in this training philosophy.  It worked for Des Linden.  And Michele was using coach Melissa and I think she still is.

Not sure if I should put this in writing but I've been working for a 4:30 finish believing that a 5 minute buffer would get me into Boston.  That may not be the case.  I am willing to reach out to Dr. Beckerman and Dr. Baggish to help me get a charity bib if I can run the official 4:35 BQ.  I would really like to tow the line in 2025 which would be 10 years after my infamous run at Boston.  I'm not sure I want to keep trying if I don't make it to the line in 2025.  Part of me wonders if it would be better to accept the facts of life and prioritize my mental health over my Boston goals...I'm not there yet but I'm teetering. 

That was a very long answer to a pretty simple question.  Yes, I am interested in any input you can provide about the course at CIM...and possibly Eugene.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:29 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I would love to hear about your experience on the course.  And I'd also like to know where you ran your fastest marathon.  Was it at Eugene?  If I don't reach my goal in December I'm considering changing things up and running a spring marathon...either Eugene or Newport.

• 2009 CIM 4:14:59 Goal 4:05:59  1st marathon.  On pace through mile 24 and then just died!
  • 2015 Boston...
  • 2016 CIM My only DNF.  I was actually running pretty well but panicked at mile 20 and stepped off the course.
  • 2017 Indianapolis 4:59:27  Panicked at mile 20 again but this time I didn't have an exit route.  Walked a bit and then finished running.
  • 2021 CIM 4:42:23 Goal 4:30 Backup goal 4:35 On pace through mile 21 and didn't lose my backup goal until the last mile.
  • 2022 CIM 5:11:11 Goal 4:30 Backup goal 4:35 On pace through mile 18 and then totally lost it!  Walked a lot of the rest of the course.  

So I ran some decent races at CIM.  My marathon debut there was actually a pretty darn good race.  I just had a mental breakdown in 2016 with memories of heartbreak hill dancing in my head.  In 2021 I think I just ran out of fuel...I hit the wall hard.  Mom died two weeks before the 2022 race.  I was a mess before I even started the race...I wasn't willing to admit it but I guess I'm not the superhero I thought I was.

I do think part of my problem is still mental...   But I do think proper training and proper fueling on race day are the key.  I think I can be successful on the course if I fuel properly and that will help me keep my head in the game.  

I will admit that I do wonder if 16 mile long runs and accumulative fatigue can get me to the finish line but I need to trust my coach and my training...or switch it up...but now is not the time to make that decision.  I'm to invested in this training philosophy.  It worked for Des Linden.  And Michele was using coach Melissa and I think she still is.

Not sure if I should put this in writing but I've been working for a 4:30 finish believing that a 5 minute buffer would get me into Boston.  That may not be the case.  I am willing to reach out to Dr. Beckerman and Dr. Baggish to help me get a charity bib if I can run the official 4:35 BQ.  I would really like to tow the line in 2025 which would be 10 years after my infamous run at Boston.  I'm not sure I want to keep trying if I don't make it to the line in 2025.  Part of me wonders if it would be better to accept the facts of life and prioritize my mental health over my Boston goals...I'm not there yet but I'm teetering. 

That was a very long answer to a pretty simple question.  Yes, I am interested in any input you can provide about the course at CIM...and possibly Eugene.

Yes, Eugene was my fastest, at 3:46ish, but it came at a cost that I didn't notice until later that year, when I blundered into serious overtraining. 

I've run a few CIM's but my fastest there (and favorite marathon ever) was 3:52-something, which I ran about two months after hitting a big PR in Portland. That "practice marathon" with some slightly higher intensity work between the two races seemed to really help. The fact that it was cool (frosty, even) at that CIM helped a lot, too. I consistently melted down when I trained all winter in the dark and cool to run a warm, sunny spring marathon. (Part of why I PR'd in Eugene but fell far short of expectations.)

It sounds like you have more experience at CIM than I do, actually. Still, let me think about the course and think about what worked well for me, beyond the "practice" marathon. I'll get back to you.

As far as maxing out at 16 miles, I think you have long since trained your body to go beyond 20 without blinking, so your biggest challenge is going to be mental... trusting your training and knowing that your body is going to be just fine on race day. The only reason 20 is considered the gold standard in the US is because its a nice round number.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:32 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

• 2015 Boston...

Yes, Eugene was my fastest, at 3:46ish, but it came at a cost that I didn't notice until later that year, when I blundered into serious overtraining. 

I've run a few CIM's but my fastest there (and favorite marathon ever) was 3:52-something, which I ran about two months after hitting a big PR in Portland. That "practice marathon" with some slightly higher intensity work between the two races seemed to really help. The fact that it was cool (frosty, even) at that CIM helped a lot, too. I consistently melted down when I trained all winter in the dark and cool to run a warm, sunny spring marathon. (Part of why I PR'd in Eugene but fell far short of expectations.)

It sounds like you have more experience at CIM than I do, actually. Still, let me think about the course and think about what worked well for me, beyond the "practice" marathon. I'll get back to you.

As far as maxing out at 16 miles, I think you have long since trained your body to go beyond 20 without blinking, so your biggest challenge is going to be mental... trusting your training and knowing that your body is going to be just fine on race day. The only reason 20 is considered the gold standard in the US is because its a nice round number.
Okay...I'm really curious now.  

Can you give me more insight into running a second marathon two months after running Portland?

I'm even more curious about your experience with overtraining...

Here's where I'm at...my life has once again been filled with stressful junk during the most important part of training.  I won't go into the details here but it's pretty nasty on a couple fronts...as bad or worse than last year.  Last year I felt like I was handling the stress okay leading into race day but then I totally fell apart during the race.  Training is going well but can my body handle both the physical and the mental stress?  I don't know.  Should I skip CIM?  Should I run for a BQ and let the chips fall?  Will another race/date be any better?  Can I train for and run a Spring marathon If I fall short at CIM?  I'm running out of time to accomplish my goals.

Lots of tears and very little sleep this week but I managed to pull off a really good progressive strength/tempo interval run on Tuesday.  I'll be honest...I paid for it on Wednesday.  Friday I was scheduled for 16 miles with miles 13-15 @MP and then a cooldown mile to get my 16 miles.  I got very little sleep Thursday night and seriously considered skipping it.  But I recalled my coaches words...you can't choose the conditions on race day...so I laced up to see what I could do.  I nailed it.  It was one of the hardest runs I've ever done.  I seriously considered flicking it in multiple times.  But I proved to myself that I could run when things felt tough.  Unfortunately I finished with leg cramps and a bit of dizzyness so I walked part of the cooldown.  I tried to take a nap but wasn't to successful and didn't recover very well at all.  I've got some time to take care of myself before my next tough training run on Tuesday.

I'm concerned that I overdid it this week...especially on Friday.  But I'm pleased that I didn't quit.  That run felt like the last 16 miles of a marathon...not the first 16.  I'm extremely proud that I ran it as well as I did...and hoping I didn't run my race during training.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:22 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Okay...I'm really curious now.  

Can you give me more insight into running a second marathon two months after running Portland?

I'm even more curious about your experience with overtraining...

Here's where I'm at...my life has once again been filled with stressful junk during the most important part of training.  I won't go into the details here but it's pretty nasty on a couple fronts...as bad or worse than last year.  Last year I felt like I was handling the stress okay leading into race day but then I totally fell apart during the race.  Training is going well but can my body handle both the physical and the mental stress?  I don't know.  Should I skip CIM?  Should I run for a BQ and let the chips fall?  Will another race/date be any better?  Can I train for and run a Spring marathon If I fall short at CIM?  I'm running out of time to accomplish my goals.

Lots of tears and very little sleep this week but I managed to pull off a really good progressive strength/tempo interval run on Tuesday.  I'll be honest...I paid for it on Wednesday.  Friday I was scheduled for 16 miles with miles 13-15 @MP and then a cooldown mile to get my 16 miles.  I got very little sleep Thursday night and seriously considered skipping it.  But I recalled my coaches words...you can't choose the conditions on race day...so I laced up to see what I could do.  I nailed it.  It was one of the hardest runs I've ever done.  I seriously considered flicking it in multiple times.  But I proved to myself that I could run when things felt tough.  Unfortunately I finished with leg cramps and a bit of dizzyness so I walked part of the cooldown.  I tried to take a nap but wasn't to successful and didn't recover very well at all.  I've got some time to take care of myself before my next tough training run on Tuesday.

I'm concerned that I overdid it this week...especially on Friday.  But I'm pleased that I didn't quit.  That run felt like the last 16 miles of a marathon...not the first 16.  I'm extremely proud that I ran it as well as I did...and hoping I didn't run my race during training.

I most certainly can! I ran the Portland Marathon in early October and CIM in early December. I based my between-race training on the multiple marathon training plan in Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. It gives you a couple of weeks to recover from your first race, gets your system reset and then gets you to a quick peak and taper for the second race. I still did low heart rate training for many of my runs, but I added in higher intensity lactate threshold heart rate runs (where you target a higher heart rate just below your LT and hold that heart rate for a longer run - the more you do it, the less you slow down with each successive mile) and some fartleks to give my legs a chance to really get the lead out. It was fun! It also helped that I consciously held back in Portland (even though it was a big PR), knowing I had another race coming up. 

It worked beyond my wildest dreams. CIM that year was a huge PR and my most enjoyable race ever. I still smile thinking about it.

Now, if you read between the lines, you may have already guessed that my success with CIM laid the groundwork for my massive flameout the following year. I trained for and raced Eugene the following spring with the hope of getting a BQ time, but despite straining so hard I thrombosed a hemorrhoid during the race (!), I could only get to 3:46 and change. I was convinced that I was on the right track, though, so I started running my low HR rates at a higher heart rate, getting faster, and faster and going longer and longer. It was exciting! That is, until something went *poof!* that summer and every run became a slog. I got slower, less enthused, etc. It took a while for me to realize that I had not given myself enough recovery time after Eugene, which obviously put a strain on my body, and charged ahead oblivious to the risk.

My theory of overtraining (and long distance racing in general) is that, when you're struggling to get through a race and experience that mind-blowing surge of energy on the other side of fatigue, you're drawing from your body's core emergency energy reserves. The sort of reserves that allows us to survive if we find ourselves in a famine, plane crash in the middle of nowhere, a death in the family or some other catastrophe. As endurance athletes, we dip into those reserves. But they're not inexhaustible - it only seems that way. You draw that reserve tank down too low, too often, and it doesn't refill. I've watched it happen mostly with top level ultramarathoners who are out breaking records in 100-milers one year only to be husks of their former selves a year or two later. 

So what does this mean to you? Stress/strain is cumulative -- and the body doesn't differentiate between physical stress (like running) or emotional stress (like financial or marital troubles, a medical crisis in the family, the cat flooding the house, etc.) -- because it's all the same. It draws from your emergency reserves, but only for so long. 

If you're able to balance the scales and keep the non-physical stress down, then maybe you can proceed with your ambitious plans. If not... you may need to trim your sails in an act of self-preservation and save those ambitions for another time. I would give almost anything to have understood this process back in 2010 (not only was this the year I pushed it too hard running, it was only a few months after my father died of lung cancer). The multiple years it took to recover and come back (arguably still not done yet) was not worth the illusion of being the master of my fate. 

I hope that helps.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
I most certainly can! I ran the Portland Marathon in early October and CIM in early December. I based my between-race training on the multiple marathon training plan in Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. It gives you a couple of weeks to recover from your first race, gets your system reset and then gets you to a quick peak and taper for the second race. I still did low heart rate training for many of my runs, but I added in higher intensity lactate threshold heart rate runs (where you target a higher heart rate just below your LT and hold that heart rate for a longer run - the more you do it, the less you slow down with each successive mile) and some fartleks to give my legs a chance to really get the lead out. It was fun! It also helped that I consciously held back in Portland (even though it was a big PR), knowing I had another race coming up. 

It worked beyond my wildest dreams. CIM that year was a huge PR and my most enjoyable race ever. I still smile thinking about it.

Now, if you read between the lines, you may have already guessed that my success with CIM laid the groundwork for my massive flameout the following year. I trained for and raced Eugene the following spring with the hope of getting a BQ time, but despite straining so hard I thrombosed a hemorrhoid during the race (!), I could only get to 3:46 and change. I was convinced that I was on the right track, though, so I started running my low HR rates at a higher heart rate, getting faster, and faster and going longer and longer. It was exciting! That is, until something went *poof!* that summer and every run became a slog. I got slower, less enthused, etc. It took a while for me to realize that I had not given myself enough recovery time after Eugene, which obviously put a strain on my body, and charged ahead oblivious to the risk.

My theory of overtraining (and long distance racing in general) is that, when you're struggling to get through a race and experience that mind-blowing surge of energy on the other side of fatigue, you're drawing from your body's core emergency energy reserves. The sort of reserves that allows us to survive if we find ourselves in a famine, plane crash in the middle of nowhere, a death in the family or some other catastrophe. As endurance athletes, we dip into those reserves. But they're not inexhaustible - it only seems that way. You draw that reserve tank down too low, too often, and it doesn't refill. I've watched it happen mostly with top level ultramarathoners who are out breaking records in 100-milers one year only to be husks of their former selves a year or two later. 

So what does this mean to you? Stress/strain is cumulative -- and the body doesn't differentiate between physical stress (like running) or emotional stress (like financial or marital troubles, a medical crisis in the family, the cat flooding the house, etc.) -- because it's all the same. It draws from your emergency reserves, but only for so long. 

If you're able to balance the scales and keep the non-physical stress down, then maybe you can proceed with your ambitious plans. If not... you may need to trim your sails in an act of self-preservation and save those ambitions for another time. I would give almost anything to have understood this process back in 2010 (not only was this the year I pushed it too hard running, it was only a few months after my father died of lung cancer). The multiple years it took to recover and come back (arguably still not done yet) was not worth the illusion of being the master of my fate. 

I hope that helps.
Thanks Mark.  What you shared makes a lot of sense.  To be honest I'm not sure if it helps or just confuses me more.

Coach Melissa was convinced that my crash hard and early at CIM last year was the result of just the type of stress you mention.  Mom passed suddenly 2 weeks before the marathon.  There was already a lot going on in my life.

So fast forward to this year.  Marty's brother was diagnosed with cancer a couple weeks ago and passed painfully and quickly.  The family is pretty dysfunctional anyway and they already lost his older brother.  My Mom's affairs...I'm executor...are winding up this week...fortunately my siblings have come together to handle some messy stuff pretty well, but it's still a lot.  Farming is not going great and while Marty and I can easily weather the storm Kevin has buckled under the pressure and as a result finances and family relationships are in a shambles.  You get the picture.  Rather than less stress I seem to be enveloped by even more than last year.

So...do I run CIM?  If I do, should I run for a BQ or just for fun?  Can I run for fun?

I'll be honest I'm running out of time.  I want to go back to Boston in 2025 on the 10th anniversary of my cardiac event.  I want to earn my bib but the qualifying window closes next September.  Due to weather and farming I can't train for a late summer marathon.  I could probably get a charity bib or even a sympathy bib with the help of my cardiologist but I made it very clear that I wouldn't accept that unless I ran a BQ and missed the cut.  I wanted to prove that I could come back...that I was stronger than the stuff life was throwing at me.

I may regret writing this but I'm wondering if proving I won't give up is the message I want to send to my grandkids and the members of my community who are struggling.  If I change my message to prioritizing health...both mental and physical...would that be a better message.  Would saying it's okay to set a lofty goal and then admit failure and accept help be better message?  Or would it just mean that I gave up?  Can I say that I tried, but that I realized that my mental and physical health are more important than earning my Boston bib? Or would it just be an excuse for giving up?

We hosted a Jefferson County running festival last week inviting the community to share the joy of running with the cross country kids and coaches.  We had a guest speaker that talked about consistency and all the normal stuff but what really stuck with me was when he said that you should consider your fellow runners not as adversaries but as partners who were helping you meet your goal.  Dr. B told me I should run for the enjoyment not for the time.  I tell everyone that running with Janice has helped me learn that I can have fun while running slow.  So why can't I live the message I'm trying to preach to everyone else? 

What will people think of me if I fail...again...and quit trying.  More importantly what will I think about myself?

On the positive side I ran a great training run yesterday.  It was a tough one and I hit the paces.  More importantly I didn't over do it and as a result I recovered better than last week.

I have to try.  I hope I don't regret it.

Thanks for listening.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next