365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails and Travails

+34
jon c
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Jim Lentz
GregC
JohnP
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Randy E
mul21
Tom H
Neil Ruggiero
ChasMcG
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Jeff F
Matt W
Jerry
Dave-O
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
38 posters

Page 7 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Go down

Trails and Travails - Page 7 Empty Re: Trails and Travails

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:44 am

ChasMcG wrote:
With an empty bag of croutons even? hahahahah
Nice running by the way and riding. You're killer!
Do you have pictures of you jumping on the trampolines? Smile

Don't know why I picked croutons, but it just seemed right. Absurd enough to be believable. Wink
Thanks! The last few weeks have been pretty tough, and the accumulated fatigue is setting in, so the next week or so might not be too impressive.
No photos, unfortunately. I wanted a video or two, but the camera didn't come out until we were leaving.

Mark B wrote:Have fun running in Auburn, Mike! It looks like you'll get some nice hot (but not too hot) weather for it.
The "empty bag of croutons" was a nice touch, btw. Very Happy

I'm liking what I'm seeing on weather.gov for Auburn. Should only be 67 at 8am, which is probably when I'll start my run. I should be home before it hits 78. Not bad.

Neil Ruggiero wrote:Damn Mike, amazing training comin outta you lately. Really nice TT btw too, I dunno if I'd be willing to push myself that hard outside of a race situation.

I don't think that TT time beats your 10k, but don't you have to run a new one for our 1v1? Very Happy

Kenny B. wrote:Some crazy training going on over in this blog. I am almost scared to check it out. I might implode! Keep up the strong effort and listen to your body and recover rebuild repeat.

Recover is right. The workouts create the potential for improvement, the recovery creates the improvement itself.

Heading out in about 45-an hour for the first run of the day. An hour easy to loosen the legs up. Depending on how I feel, might pick it up a little bit on the second one, but I think I'll save some energy for fartlek intervals tomorrow and my exploration Sunday.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:I'm glad no one was around, because I was definitely making a lot of noise (I'm not sure how to categorize said noise; it wasn't masculine enough to be grunting, but it wasn't quite sobbing Very Happy ).

Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but this cracks me up. I've been there.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Greg - Nothin' like being reduced to a blob of jellied muscles and strange noises, right?

---

This morning's hour was great. Absolutely zero effort, HR was low and steady (139-142 for most of the run), pace was in the low 8's. 7 miles.

This afternoon's hour was less great. Averaged 8 minute miles with an effort level that should've been closer to 7:35s, and apparently my tofu scramble doesn't like running... Even though it was 2 hours after I ate. Seriously, I thought I only got this stupid heartburn shit when I was eating really poorly. And it was pretty toasty. Low to mid 80s, I think.
7.75 miles. I was hoping for a better performance on this run, but I didn't force it, since tomorrow and Sunday are much more important than today's double.

---

Oh, and since I like to bring in random tidbits from my life... This happened today:

Trails and Travails - Page 7 07081110

Pulled approximately 20 fry (baby fish) from 2 female Labidochromis caeruleus. They're a mouth-brooding, rock-dwelling cichlid - referred to as "mbuna" - from Lake Malawi, Africa. The process by which you remove the fry from their buccal cavities is called "stripping." No, it's not that exciting. Basically, you hold them just over the surface of a small container filled with tank water, wait for them to start taking deep breaths, then hold their lower jaw slightly open while dipping their head in the water. The fry shoot out. Usually takes 4-5 dunks to completely strip a female. Then they go into the hospital tank for some R&R until they're eating and active again. The more you know.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Real quick:

Trails and Travails - Page 7 710run10

Hello, Auburn. Black section is the last big climb of the WS100. Since this was an out and back, it's the same on the other side. After the peak (that's Robie Point) you'd just go a bit more to the finish. More to come.

EDIT: The low point is No Hands Bridge.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 pm

That is a heck of a climb.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm

wow, looks like you'll be ready for Pike's Peak double (if you were training for that.....)
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Wow. What a way to end a 100-mile frolic through the Sierra Nevada - bombing down a cliff, then climbing another mountain. Owie.

Good job on that run! If that doesn't get you in rock-solid shape, nothing will.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Nice picture - never thought I'd see fish getting some love on 365Runners! That is an absolute insane stretch to run - sounds like a lot of fun!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:05 pm

You win.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Looks like an orange monster to me. It scares me man scares me. affraid
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:41 am

Nice climbs. If you're going to do those type of climbs you might as well as head out to France with the others. Very Happy
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 am

Jim Lentz wrote:That is a heck of a climb.

The funny thing is... I didn't really feel much pain and suffering during it. The first leg is pretty steep, hitting gradients up to 20%, but then it mellows out to around 7% for the remainder... I think by that point, I'd just found a comfortable, slow groove, which kept me from blowing up on it. That, and I was excited to be running in a new area. Excitement helps.

Julie wrote:wow, looks like you'll be ready for Pike's Peak double (if you were training for that.....)

Wow, that is an insane marathon. I know you all think I'm crazy, but a climb of over 7k' with no breaks is beyond me, right now. I am, however, training for the 4.6k' climb out of the Grand Canyon.

Mark B wrote:Wow. What a way to end a 100-mile frolic through the Sierra Nevada - bombing down a cliff, then climbing another mountain. Owie.
Good job on that run! If that doesn't get you in rock-solid shape, nothing will.

Yeah, talk about a huge sting. And it's not an easy climb back up; there are a few sections where they've set branches into the trail to make steps, because otherwise I'm sure the grade would cause the dirt to wash away any time it rained. It's like climbing 18-24" uneven stairs. I actually walked that section faster (13:30 pace) than I ran it (~16:00 pace). Good lesson.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Nice picture - never thought I'd see fish getting some love on 365Runners! That is an absolute insane stretch to run - sounds like a lot of fun!

Resident fish nerd here... Just hoping they make it while I'm gone. Smile It was a really fun stretch, but it was by no means "easy."

Natalie Wolf wrote:You win.

Very Happy

Kenny B. wrote:Looks like an orange monster to me. It scares me man scares me. affraid

Fortunately, the scenery distracts you from the pain ~85% of the time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:35 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice climbs. If you're going to do those type of climbs you might as well as head out to France with the others. Very Happy

Don't tempt me! bounce
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:06 pm

There actually are a few flat and even downhill sections for Pikes Peak. It really is a cool/fun race.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Jim - Trust me, since seeing that link, it's on the bucket list. Smile

---

I think I could get use to this place. Especially since the 33 mile ride today was absolutely beautiful with a fantastic tailwind on the way back (spinning at 30? I'll take it). Took Auburn-Folsom Road all the way to the American River on the south end of Folsom Lake. Then crossed the bridge and went up the hill so we could see the lake while we ate before heading back. ~3 miles from home, there's a 1.75mi hill that averages 5.7%, but has a .5mi section around 9-10%. Fun fun.

Then a nap.

30-45min recovery run tonight.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:30-45min recovery run tonight.

Never post a run before you do it. Bad luck.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Especially since the 33 mile ride today was absolutely beautiful with a fantastic tailwind on the way back (spinning at 30? I'll take it). Took Auburn-Folsom Road all the way to the American River on the south end of Folsom Lake. Then crossed the bridge and went up the hill so we could see the lake while we ate before heading back. ~3 miles from home, there's a 1.75mi hill that averages 5.7%, but has a .5mi section around 9-10%. Fun fun.

That's a nice road, Mike. I've been on it more than a few times. Watch out for crazy drivers - that road gets a lot of them.

Running trivia: That spot where you turned to cross the American River just downstream from Folsom Dam? That's about a quarter mile from where the California International Marathon starts.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 pm

GregC wrote:
Never post a run before you do it. Bad luck.

Shoot, I've been doing this for a while. Will remember this from now on Very Happy

Mark B wrote:
That's a nice road, Mike. I've been on it more than a few times. Watch out for crazy drivers - that road gets a lot of them.

Running trivia: That spot where you turned to cross the American River just downstream from Folsom Dam? That's about a quarter mile from where the California International Marathon starts.

It's definitely a nice road - didn't even realize there were those awesome views of Folsom Lake at the top of the 10% grade section.
And good to know about the CIM! I'm still considering doing that one just for fun, depending on how it'll fit into my schedule. It'd be a lot better to race it, since it's a fast course, but... Ultras call.

---

So last night's run wasn't bad. Wasn't great, but wasn't bad. Legs were there, but not happy to be there. Just under 4.5 miles and just over 400' gain/loss. I swear, there's not a flat quarter mile in this town. Case in point:

Today's run. Finally thought I found some flat road (well, trail)... But after about a quarter mile of that, it quickly turned into switchbacks cutting down towards the river at an average of 20%. When I ran back up the hill (different route up), my pace was faster than going down. Super technical, with rocks and branches everywhere. I'm not good at this stuff yet.

Just over 7 miles for an hour. I hate seeing these 8+ paces for the amount of effort I'm putting into the runs, but when I hit those tiny flat sections, I notice my pace is actually between 7 and 7:30. I just can't descend fast enough to make up for the time lost on the uphills and technical sections. Something to improve upon.

I am... not... about to go on a run... now.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm guessing you had visions of Badwater running through your mind today - I know I did. Nice runs lately and great week last week!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Ah man I agree with you. Even on the downhills, if there are a lot of rocks and branches, I feel myself baby stepping those. Just when I think I'm at a reasonable pace (for me) I hit another switchback. Those kick my ass more than anything. Why? Is it just the incline even though it's short?

I have a lot to learn so you keep figuring stuff out and then fill me up! Wink
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks John. Last week was definitely tough. I'm trying to instill some discipline once again by really focusing on making easy runs/rides EASY. Really really easy.

---

Just over 5 miles at a pretty good clip (7:44, with 400' gain/loss on the course) this afternoon. I swear, Auburn's streets are just as bad as the trails. I'll be cruising along a 3-4% incline and all of a sudden the road drops off to a 10% decline for a couple hundred meters. Then back up for a hundred or so. I might - MIGHT - have to resort to the track one of these days. Especially if I want to get in some tempo/speed work.

Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Hey Mike, I have to catch up on your blog, but wanted to say that you're doing well with the running. The track, huh? Ick. God bless you!

I agree with Chas, I have a lot to learn about trail running, so you keep on figuring it out and let us know! Have you had any good wine and hummus lately? drunken

Edit: so, I was just scrolling up and saw a tub of little fish. Is stripping giving birth? scratch
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:16 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:I swear, there's not a flat quarter mile in this town.

Heh. Welcome to Auburn, California. It's not called "The Endurance Capital of the World" for nothing. cheers

If you did CIM, you'd be amazed at the folks doing the pace teams. It's a who's who of ultrarunning stars.

Like this guy: Tim Twietmeyer.

Or about about her: Julie Fingar

Or, if that's not enough, how about this guy: Rae Clark (held U.S. 24-hour run record for 20 years, finally bested by Scott Jurek)

Etc! Browse for more.

Lots of chances to soak up serious ultrarunning karma from these folks. Who are, BTW, really nice.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:Hey Mike, I have to catch up on your blog, but wanted to say that you're doing well with the running. The track, huh? Ick. God bless you!
I agree with Chas, I have a lot to learn about trail running, so you keep on figuring it out and let us know! Have you had any good wine and hummus lately? drunken
Edit: so, I was just scrolling up and saw a tub of little fish. Is stripping giving birth? scratch

Hiya Lisa. Yes, indeed, I might have to run on the track. "Have to" is really the wrong way to put it - I might WANT some flat ground. Then again, I'll be in Sac 4x/week when school starts, so maybe I'll find some good running down there for my flat days.

No real good wine, but lots of French bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with Aileen. Only a little hummus of late. Still loving Trader Joe's brand, eggplant flavor. Yum.

Stripping is when you "lend nature a hand" and coax the young out of the mother's mouth prematurely. They're completely viable (and if they're not yet ready to eat, they have their egg sacs and don't need to, anyway), and the stress it puts on Momma is outweighed by the fact that she gets to start eating again 12-20 days early. Also, you normally get more fry by stripping than by letting Momma spit naturally.

Mark B wrote:
If you did CIM, you'd be amazed at the folks doing the pace teams. It's a who's who of ultrarunning stars.
Lots of chances to soak up serious ultrarunning karma from these folks. Who are, BTW, really nice.

Dangit, I just got really excited about all this until I looked up the CIM again and realized why I'm not doing it - it's the day after my 50-miler. Oh well, hopefully I'll be alive enough that day to at least go watch the finish or something. Thanks for the info!

---

It was cold this morning. Like, 58 when I started running. After a couple days approaching 90 here and a couple weeks topping 90 at home, this was a shock to the system. Sun didn't come out until about a half hour after I finished my run, too.

Just over 2 hours, just over 15 miles, just under 3.5k' gain/loss. Last half hour "hard" - 6:4x NGP.

So, more trail beta for the one (two? Mark?) of you that are interested in WS100. Wanted to make it to Cool - yes, that's the name of a town - today, but came about a mile short. Didn't realize the hill going up to it would be a steady 7-10% gradient for miles and miles. Anyway, I turned at the top of said hill, a little bit from the highway 49 crossing, right here: http://ws100.com/phototour/15_49ToFinish/49ToFinish.html (PICT0505). Saw a small flock of wild turkeys and thought about eating them (as I texted Aileen: what have I become?!). Also saw a coyote pretty early on. Small guy. He scampered off the trail and into the trees.

The middle mile of the downhill (in the black section) is really easy to just completely bomb. It's about 8.5% downhill, but smooth and easy trails. Really nice.

Trails and Travails - Page 7 713run10

Trails and Travails - Page 7 2small10

Trails and Travails - Page 7 4small10
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Oooo. Ahh. Cool trail.

Bummer. A marathon wouldn't make a good recovery run after a 50-miler.

At least, not yet. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17 ... 27  Next