365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails and Travails

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trails and Travails

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Whew. Two hours on the bike. As part of my eating better, I'm also trying to take off the 5-10 pounds I put on in the last 6-7 weeks (before I start training for Boston), which meant that I was pretty under-fueled on today's ride. Still, powered through it, mostly conversational pace with a few efforts up the climbs.

Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I like running, when it doesn't hurt. And today, it didn't hurt.

Took a scheduled day off yesterday - as part of this whole getting-back-to-discipline thing, I'm trying to make sure I take a very conservative approach to building back up. My foot was kind of iffy on Monday after my ride, especially since I took the car to school (and thus had to walk much farther from the parking lot to class in less-than-supportive-but-incredibly-stylish shoes). Yesterday I had the motorcycle, so it was less walking, but still a bit sore. It's started to take on that feeling you get when you're running in too-tight shoes and your feet start to cramp. If you don't have wide feet, you probably don't know the feeling.

Anyway, it was present this morning, but just kind of there. Nothing painful, but clearly still "off." I was planning to eat and then go for a run around 10:30 or so, but after sitting with my coffee for an hour, I still wasn't hungry, so I decided to just get out and run already.

Foot let me know it was there, but the only time it ever got worse than a 1 ("oh, hi") was when I stepped awkwardly over a river rock and stretched my foot a bit. And that only lasted about 3 steps before going away. So I gave myself a bit of leash and tacked on some extra side trails and whatnot, still avoiding the huge hills, for a total of ~55min. The prospect of being able to consistently knock out hour-long runs again is really exciting, though the humor in this excitement isn't lost on me: just 2 months ago I was cranking out two 3-4hr runs every weekend and averaging well over 2hrs/day running. It's all relative, I guess. Just happy to be enjoying the simple act of moving forward again.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Glad you were able to have a good run. Take your time getting back, it sounds like you're being smart about the whole thing, though.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:55 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Just happy to be enjoying the simple act of moving forward again.

Very Happy

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:45 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:Just happy to be enjoying the simple act of moving forward again.

Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Ran again today. A little under 40min. My left knee is wonky of late. It was pretty bad today. 3-5 on the pain scale, and it continued after (especially while driving [stick shift]). Debating a day off tomorrow. It's a busy day anyway. Might go for the bike instead.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Seriously, body, harden the fuck up and stop giving me shit.

My knee pretty much gave out about 5-6mi into my run today. I had a nice 1.5mi walk of shame home.
The pain is centralized at and just above the head of my fibula, and it's most aggravated when going uphill (especially when the hill is like climbing stairs). On flat ground, it actually didn't hurt at all until it decided it did, which is around the same time my foot started cramping. I want to say ITB, but from what I'm reading, this might be too low to be ITB.

I'm really not happy that I can't even get a weekly "long" run (I was hoping for 10 today) in. I keep telling myself I have 2 months until it matters, but still, I finally want to run, and can't. What the fuck?

Guess it's back to 4-5 milers ad infinitum.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Injuries suck, especially ones that keep you from doing the runs you want, but unfortunately are part of being human.
Hope it gets better soon!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Runner's knee? Quad strengthening will help with that. When ever my knee acts up, I do a few more leg lifts at the gym and I change shoes. Works like a charm.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Mike it does sound too low for ITB, Michele's guess might be it.

It feels soft tissue, right? (Not your fibula or cartilage)
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 pm

It feels similar to any bouts of tendinitis I've had in the past. Which means that sometimes it's like the bone itself hurts, but that's only if I'm pressing on it when my leg is at a certain angle. What hurts worse is if I'm sitting/laying and go from a bent leg to a straight leg. That is borderline impossible at this point without some support from my hands.

I agree that the fix is likely muscular, which was my plan regardless of what it actually was. I'm the type who won't "go get it checked out," because I'll either be told that 1) I can't run or 2) I need to stretch more or 3) I need to build up the surrounding muscles. So instead of going to get it looked at, I treat all my niggles/injuries the same: cut back, stretch A LOT, and try to strength train. In this case, I don't have much in the way of weights, but I'm going to try wall sits, no-weight squats, and whatever else I can think of until I have a gym (a month from now). Hopefully the stretching regimen pulls through - it has every time, so far.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Get one of those ankle weights that you can strap around your ankle, sit at the end of a chair or bed and do leg lifts. Works like a champ.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Does cycling feel OK? In addition to the other stuff, the cycling that you have done seems like it should be a positive? Until your leg gets a little better, a little more cycling and a little less running might be a good thing. Hope it gets better for you soon Mike.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:01 pm

John - Unfortunately, cycling is generally the cause of my niggles. It feels fine on the bike, but then as soon as I run, something is messed up. Been like that ever since I started running. I know, I need to get a better fitting bike.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Thats a bummer... Does your brother have an opinion on it? He should be able to help if some adjustments can be made to the bike you have. If not, then you have a bunch of good advice that hopefully will get you back in the saddle soon...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Mike, sorry to read about the knee. From the symptoms you describe and from my own crappy experience, I'm thinking it's a classic case of patella femoral syndrome (runner's knee). Along with what you plan on doing...rest, stretch, strengthen, you may also just want to try a few days of an NSAID, like Aleve, to bring the inflammation down. That would at least create a baseline for you to work from, as opposed to doing all those things while the knee is still aggravated.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Well, if it is runner's knee, that makes sense. I was putting a lot more strain on the quads with the cycling - to the point that they were actually sore the next day, which never happens - and with my foot being wonky, I was definitely favoring a certain non-natural footstrike, which probably had to do with straining the knee further.

I went out the front door this morning after icing the knee for a couple hours and started jogging... for 100m. Still didn't feel right. No shit, right? I was planning to take a full day off, but ah, I just want to get out there and run. It doesn't help that Aileen has started running in DC. She's trying to convince me to take the whole week off so we can run together Saturday. I told her that won't happen, that I'll be back on the trails as soon as my leg allows.

So I did some wall sits and stretching instead. More stretching to come tonight, as well as another round of ice. I'm vehemently anti-medicine and anti-sports-doctor, so those will be VERY last resorts.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:46 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:

So I did some wall sits and stretching instead. More stretching to come tonight, as well as another round of ice. I'm vehemently anti-medicine and anti-sports-doctor, so those will be VERY last resorts.

I hear you about the meds, but if that's the case, then you probably better be ready to give it some serious rest in order for the inflammation to subside, 'cause I'm pretty sure that if you keep running on it while it's in this acute state, you won't give it a chance to calm down.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Full day off. Minus the 3.5mi walk. Okay, sorry, I HAD to get outside. The good news is that the knee only had minor complaints while driving to school and actually gave me none on the way home after the first couple minutes. And now, I don't feel any hint of even a niggle. Which means... another full day off tomorrow. I MIGHT test it Wed.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am

...I need a distraction today.

Broke my rule yesterday. Went on a walk, ran about 1.5 miles total... Which threw my foot out of whack for the remainder of the day.

I guess I'm just worried about getting in enough base before I start training for Boston. I'm only doing 12 weeks (including taper) for Beantown, because anything more than that puts me on the verge of burnout and I'd rather run Boston without shooting for a PR than not run it at all... But yes, I'll still be training for a sub-3 premiere. So that means I have until the 2nd week of January to be at 1hr/day, 6days/week. If it weren't for these injuries/niggles, I think I could easily be at 30-40min/day. Which would be great, having 8 weeks to build to an hour. But right now, I'm at squat.

Going to make a very sincere effort to stay off the foot and leg (including cycling) until Aileen gets here (Friday night). Then we'll be running sloooow 30-40min runs once or twice. Then the extended Thanksgiving weekend completely off. Hopefully after that, I'll be healed up. If not, I'll give in and start some anti-inflammatory nonsense.

Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Easing up right now is a wise strategy. When you start back up (hopefully after your foot and knee and settled down), try to focus on low-intensity work at first. No charging up K2! That ought to let you build your base without tearing you down any more. And if you need to work an extra rest day in per week, don't be afraid to try it for this cycle. It might end up being the secret of your success.

Don't be wedded to a training strategy that has already run you into the ground once. Adapt!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:17 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:

Broke my rule yesterday. Went on a walk, ran about 1.5 miles total... Which threw my foot out of whack for the remainder of the day.

I guess I'm just worried about getting in enough base before I start training for Boston. I'm only doing 12 weeks (including taper) for Beantown,

What's with the foot? I thought the issue was with your knee.
This is the perfect time to let these niggles heal up. Seeing as how it's only mid-November, and you're planning on a shortened training cycle for Boston, you have plenty of time to give yourself extra rest if needed and still have a chunk of time (like a solid 8 weeks probably) for base building before you start training for Boston.
The alternative is worse than resting it now.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:58 pm

The foot is what started it all. A couple weeks back, I got stoked about being home and having my old training routes right outside my door, so I went on a 9.5-miler after doing only 4-5 30min runs in the last month. The next night, it started cramping and by morning I couldn't walk. I believe the consensus was that it was some kind of tendinitis. I'm pretty sure that led to the knee, to be honest - as my footstrike was altered by the tenderness, I'm sure I was changing my stride enough to cause some issues.

Fortunately, both feel 100% this morning. Literally, zero pain whatsoever. Not even a niggle. But still, I'm committing myself to no running whatsoever until at least Saturday.

Regarding K2 and my training plan - the plan is actually going to be more or less the exact same thing I did for OC (my BQ marathon), just with faster paces all around (~20sec/mile). I'll be starting with ~7hrs/week and building to ~10 for my peak (2 weeks). Compared with the 15-16 I was doing pre-burnout, I think that's a very safe, conservative goal. Also, I'll be taking every Friday completely off, like I did last time. It drove me nuts to have no run to do, but I was injury free and was greatly successful in the race itself.

Oh, and I'm not going to run K2 at all. My trail runs will be my hill runs, which means they will only be a couple times a week, max. My M/W runs (easy hour) will be done near campus before a strength training class I'm taking (apparently the teacher is extremely lenient regarding what kind of workouts we do, as long as we show up and lift some weights). Which means they'll be flat. Yay, flat.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:18 am

Take it easy - we are watching! Hope the leg/foot thing settles down quickly. Boston. Wow. That would really be cool!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:29 am

A half hour of discomfort in all of yesterday. During class, sitting for an extended period, so it got a bit tight when trying to extend the leg. I didn't do ANYTHING to test it. I'm proud of myself for that one. 48 more hours of rest before a test run.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top