365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running in Chicago

5 posters

Go down

Running in Chicago Empty Running in Chicago

Post  Penelope Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:55 pm

So I'm moving to Chicago later this month and excited to explore a new city. As far as running, I think I'll probably do most of my running along the lake. (I'm going to be living right across the street from the southwest corner of Lincoln Park (the actual park, not the neighborhood) and would be getting on the path around LaSalle or North Ave.

Are there any areas of the lake path that aren't safe or that I should avoid for any reason?

Where else do people run in Chicago besides along the lake? Any other specific recommendations?

As a female who will be running alone but during daylight hours, should I carry pepperspray? I never needed it in Atlanta, but that's Atlanta and this is Chicago.

Thanks!!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Running in Chicago Empty Re: Running in Chicago

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 pm

During daylight hours the path is generally safe for running alone. You won't need pepper spray. My wife has been running the lakefront path alone for years on weekdays and feels pretty safe. One thing to watch for is congested areas and bikes traveling at high speeds.

Do you have a car? Do you like flat or hilly running? Waterfall Glen is a bit of a drive, but hilly by Chicago standards and is mostly crushed limestone. I sometimes run at Caldwell Woods on the North Branch Trail, which is relatively close to me and slightly hilly, but not close to the lakefront.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks, Jim. I do have a car. I'll check out Waterfall Glenn and Caldwell Woods.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am

I just gotta say, check out the Lakefront 50/50 50K and 50 miler and when you're all back into high mileage, consider running the 50K! I ran it last fall and the race director and volunteers were so kind and everything. I would do it again if I weren't on a quest for 50 states marathons and can't really do repeats until I get my states done if I want to finish.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 pm

The lakefront path is pretty safe. They are a few isolated incidents each year that get a lot of attention...mainly because attacks are rare. There were a few group fights this memorial day and since then, the police have been all over the place. During the day I don't think you need pepper spray, but you can carry it with you and determine for yourself.

From where you live, there's about 6 miles of path to the noth and 10 miles of path to the south. If you make it all the way south, the neighborhood is not as nice, but I've never felt unsafe running there on the weekends. In fact I often go south to avoid the crowds.

There's a quarter mile track on Chicago Ave. next to Lake Shore Drive. You can run along the path, cross under LSD to get to the path.

Like Jim mentioned, there are a lot of forest preserve trails in the suburbs.

Also, don't hesitate to just run through your neighborhood. I have different loops in my hood on the street that avoid the heavy traffic area.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks Julie and Dave. Julie, my body seems to revolt during full marathons, so I'm not sure 50 milers or even 50Ks are in my future. Who knows. Maybe someday. Dave, thanks for the info, I was wondering how long the lake path extends in each direction. I do plan to run in my neighborhood, too. Probably the best way to learn my way around.

The best part is that I'm living within running (and walking) distance of the hospital I'm working at. And will have a space to call my own. So on my non-clinical weeks I can store some clothes and makeup at work and run to work. Woo-hoo!!! (Running to work wasn't possible before, because there was nowhere to safely store your stuff longterm, and although there was a shower in the call room, it was gross.)
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:39 pm

I lived at 1516 N. State Pkwy until '92, and used to run in the park and the lakefront a lot. Great place to run, of course. Things have changed some, but you ought to be pretty safe during the day. As for running in the 'hood, its kind of tough to run in the Gold Coast. Narrow streets, lots of people walking dogs on sidewalks, cabs everywhere.

I'm guessing you are working at Northwestern?

Enjoy - you are in a great running area!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 am

Michael Enright wrote:
I'm guessing you are working at Northwestern?

Enjoy - you are in a great running area!

Correct
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down