365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely

+25
Glenn
T Miller
Paula Sue
Jerry
Michael Enright
jon c
Randy E
JohnP
Stephanie
Nick Morris
Natalie
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Julie
Peg Coover
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Penelope
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
Jim Lentz
Tom H
Kenny B.
29 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely - Page 11 Empty Re: KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:UPDATE: I noticed that my 800's yesterday I did 90 sec recovery jog yet all my other 800's in the past are 120 sec recovery job (as prescribed) not sure why I thought 90 was correct and no wonder this felt so dam hard now the good news is my splits are faster with similar to lower HR.

Just another indication of how great your progress has been.

Or maybe I just was not pushing myself enough on those runs. Very Happy

I've seen your recent splits and how fast you've gotten, and that's definitely not the case.
"Ain't gonna be no rematch."
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely - Page 11 Empty Re: KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:UPDATE: I noticed that my 800's yesterday I did 90 sec recovery jog yet all my other 800's in the past are 120 sec recovery job (as prescribed) not sure why I thought 90 was correct and no wonder this felt so dam hard now the good news is my splits are faster with similar to lower HR.

I've seen your recent splits and how fast you've gotten, and that's definitely not the case.
"Ain't gonna be no rematch."

Thanks so much! I feel I have always put a strong effort in my training. I don't recall ever really sand bagging a training run. So how come you can BQ with 3:29 running mid 30's per week. Freakin' amazing.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Kenny B. wrote: So how come you can BQ with 3:29 running mid 30's per week. Freakin' amazing.

When I looked back at my log and saw that I ran my BQ marathon on such relatively low mileage, I was also very surprised. That's why I think if I can get up into the 40's and stay healthy, my odds of a new PR and BQ are pretty good. Right now, I'm clearly not as fast as I was two years ago, but I don't see any reason why I can't get back there and hopefully surpass where I was, which I'd have to do in order to guarantee a Boston entry. Not to sound like a broken record, but as you know, for me it's all about staying healthy. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:

Sure that could be the case but before I say that for sure what is your goal time for your goal marathon again?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Schuey wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:

Sure that could be the case but before I say that for sure what is your goal time for your goal marathon again?

Goal time is 3:19 I might go out for hartford 3:21-3:22 and bring in sub 3:20 for Philly 5 weeks later. Not 100% sure on the game plan yet. To early to tell. PR is 3:27 trail run last November.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Goal time is 3:19 I might go out for hartford 3:21-3:22 and bring in sub 3:20 for Philly 5 weeks later. Not 100% sure on the game plan yet. To early to tell. PR is 3:27 trail run last November.

Ok so that being the case, I think that you are right on with pace for the 800's, sure there is some room to run them a little faster if you are shooting for 3:19 but for the most part I think you are right were you want to be on those intervals for your goal times.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Schuey wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Ok so that being the case, I think that you are right on with pace for the 800's, sure there is some room to run them a little faster if you are shooting for 3:19 but for the most part I think you are right were you want to be on those intervals for your goal times.

I ran them at 3:16 with only 1:30 recovery in between that is not much time to get HR back down. It will be tight to get sub 3:20 but I have many more weeks left.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 am

You continue to be well on your way to your goal. Great job with the training.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 am

It is nice to be able to look back and see that your fitness is improving. In terms of the big picture it sounds like you're going straight in the right direction to me at least. Keep it up!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 am

This is the last day of my 35 days of meditation. However, I am going to continue through communication with God in a format possibly similar to what I have been doing. I know I have received a gift by doing this and have all intention to continue. We will see what tomorrow brings. I hope it is a helpful to you as it has been and will be for you.

Quality:

Protection - Today's intention is knowing that I am safe, secure, healed and watched after by God!

Quotation:
"I run into being and becoming and having been. Into feeling and seeing and hearing. Into all those sense by which I know the world that God made, and me in it. Into understanding why a Bring whose reason to exist is 'to be' should have made me into Her image." - George Sheehan

Meditation:
5:30am - 64/90% humidity. Every now and then a run goes beyond expected.Scheduled for 13 @ LSD I was feeling so good after mile 2 I decided torun by feel. Ended up running the first 11 miles @ 8:13 (between LSD & GA) & since my HR was still in my LSD zone and feeling pretty effortless I ran the last @ 7:28 just below MP. Overall pace 8:08 HR 159 still within LSD zone. I felt so heavenly smooth out there today I could have ran forever!

Comparison
Not much to compare this to since I never did a MW run at this pace with 2 @ MP -7. But It was pretty dam stellar

Affirmation:
I am filled, surrounded, and provided with the healing light of Spirit.

Results
I felt very taken care of on today's run focusing the healing light on my joints as I ran. My stride and form seemed as good as it ever was almost like floating at times. This pace was pretty effortless actually seemed easier then running LSD pace of 8:25+. I do find the MW LR to be easier then Sunday long runs partially because it is on asphalt vs. trails or boardwalk.

I think I might start to run MW LSD runs on feel vs. pace and incorporate MP miles for the last 2 or 3 miles. This is something I Have never done yet the benefits could be huge. Certainly will be included in my next cycle.

Below are the splits.

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely - Page 11 Untitl37
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:39 am

Kenny, just so you know, the numbers you're putting up right now are very similar to what I was doing this spring. In case you forgot, I ran a 3:16:43 in super windy conditions. I think 3:20 is in the bag if you get even decent weather.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:23 am

mul21 wrote:Kenny, just so you know, the numbers you're putting up right now are very similar to what I was doing this spring. In case you forgot, I ran a 3:16:43 in super windy conditions. I think 3:20 is in the bag if you get even decent weather.

Thanks for the boost in confidence! Funny this morning after my run I was writing on the shower door (Fog) marathon splits wondering what 3:17-3:18 looks like. I think as I continue improving and with cooler weather approaching and good weather for hartford sub 3:20 is more than doable. I am working my ass of this cycle (As usual) and would like to crack into the teens.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Those are some great workouts lately, Kenny. My 2 cents regarding your marathons 5 weeks apart: go for one big PR. Mentally, I think it'd be very difficult to come from a 6 minute PR and shave off 2-3 more minutes 5 weeks later. I'd rather use the first marathon as a good training run (20 @ LSD w/ 6 @ MP?) and then destroy the second.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Those are some great workouts lately, Kenny. My 2 cents regarding your marathons 5 weeks apart: go for one big PR. Mentally, I think it'd be very difficult to come from a 6 minute PR and shave off 2-3 more minutes 5 weeks later. I'd rather use the first marathon as a good training run (20 @ LSD w/ 6 @ MP?) and then destroy the second.

Mike your plan certainly not a bad idea however, I ran MCM in 3:29:32 (PR'd by 7 min fading with awful last 400m) then 4 weeks later PR'd on a trail marathon run 3:27:55. last mile and half was nice uphill. Ran quite a bit faster the last 13.1 Finished much stronger vs. MCM.

If feeling ready I will try for sub 3:20 in hartford if I fall short plan B is 3:21-3:22 I think I can regroup and nail philly 5 weeks later with 2-3 minutes. I won't know until I run hartford but Hartford will be a PR attempt.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Kenny B. wrote: I ran MCM in 3:29:32 (PR'd by 7 min fading with awful last 400m) then 4 weeks later PR'd on a trail marathon run 3:27:55. last mile and half was nice uphill. Ran quite a bit faster the last 13.1 Finished much stronger vs. MCM.

First, you know I'm a strong proponent for running multiple marathons (leading up to the goal paced marathon I train for). The training schedule you've set out for yourself is excellent...and you're spot on. I can't remember if you've run Hartford or Philly before. I understand they are both very good marathons. The NCR is an excellent race to PR in. Outside of that first 1.5 miles that end up being the last 1.5 miles as well, it's a flat, comfortable course with totally uncrowded conditions. The MCM, on the other hand, is so very congested until the last 6.2 miles that I really think that in itself wears you down before that last 400 m climb. Had you run the MCM as a training run at LSD pace (and you may well have...I can't remember so forgive me if I'm wrong), you may have had a bigger PR at the NCR.

That all being said, know the terrain and the usual number of participants in both Hartford and Philly. If you want to PR in Hartford, plan on it. However, I don't think you'll have as big a PR as you are capable of if you run hard at Hartford then turn around and run hard again 5 weeks later. You know your abilities best. You're on your way to another terrific PR.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Paula Sue wrote:
Kenny B. wrote: I ran MCM in 3:29:32 (PR'd by 7 min fading with awful last 400m) then 4 weeks later PR'd on a trail marathon run 3:27:55. last mile and half was nice uphill. Ran quite a bit faster the last 13.1 Finished much stronger vs. MCM.

First, you know I'm a strong proponent for running multiple marathons (leading up to the goal paced marathon I train for). The training schedule you've set out for yourself is excellent...and you're spot on. I can't remember if you've run Hartford or Philly before. I understand they are both very good marathons. The NCR is an excellent race to PR in. Outside of that first 1.5 miles that end up being the last 1.5 miles as well, it's a flat, comfortable course with totally uncrowded conditions. The MCM, on the other hand, is so very congested until the last 6.2 miles that I really think that in itself wears you down before that last 400 m climb. Had you run the MCM as a training run at LSD pace (and you may well have...I can't remember so forgive me if I'm wrong), you may have had a bigger PR at the NCR.

That all being said, know the terrain and the usual number of participants in both Hartford and Philly. If you want to PR in Hartford, plan on it. However, I don't think you'll have as big a PR as you are capable of if you run hard at Hartford then turn around and run hard again 5 weeks later. You know your abilities best. You're on your way to another terrific PR.

I agree with all the above. I have run Philly 3x's Hartford will be my first. MCM was not a fun race did not really enjoy it much. I agree within 5 weeks I may not shave much if anything off my time in Philly but that all depends on my experieince in hartford. I think if I go 3:19 in hartford I will be hard pressed to better in philly but if I go 3:21-3:22 I think sub 3:20 can happen in Philly.

I see 3:19:25
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Can't comment on how to best handle the two marathons, but that was a hell of a run! Great job and it is fun to see your progress.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 am

Kenny that's a very impressive solo Half you ran. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

Quality
Remembrance: Today's intention is to re-member that is to rejoin who I am by who I was through reassembling all the parts of me.

Affirmation
I am recreating myself anew through thought, word, and deed as I re-member I am one with Divine Spirit.

Quote of the day
Once you know who you want to be then you can start un-creating you thought you were

Today's Run
With focus on remembering where I come from and recreating myself I went into today's run with more purpose then just recovering. As I headed out for 5 easy mile the sky was filled with dark clouds and a mist and smell in the air of a pleasant rain about to come down. I welcomed this rain with all my heart as my body carried me through the miles. Legs felt on the good side of tired with a nice stride and what seemed even pace. My mind chanted today's affirmation but also wandered into the land of Ultra Marathons focusing on what it would feel like training and running the JFK 50 in 2012. A sense of warmth and happiness came over me at that point.

As I clipped away the miles the rain just never came knowing either way I was fully prepared to be one with nature. As I finished a part of my route I notice I was already passed 5 miles feeling happy so I ended up running 6 miles @ 9:30 pace w/HR of 138.

I get to start my day with full awareness that what I think, say and do is a reflection on how I am recreating myself anew.

Upcoming
Today is double down Thursday hitting the roads for 4 more miles later around 5pm. It might be a wet one and in many ways I can't wait.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am

Ah, then you are just much better at conquering the mental side of the multiple-marathon schedule than I am. Can't imagine racing 2 just 5 weeks apart. As you were Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Ah, then you are just much better at conquering the mental side of the multiple-marathon schedule than I am. Can't imagine racing 2 just 5 weeks apart. As you were Smile

There is something about racing your ass off and then recovering and re-building slightly to run your ass off again in another marathon.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:49 am

Kenny B. wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Ah, then you are just much better at conquering the mental side of the multiple-marathon schedule than I am. Can't imagine racing 2 just 5 weeks apart. As you were Smile

There is something about racing your ass off and then recovering and re-building slightly to run your ass off again in another marathon.

No, no, there's not. We're all a little crazy here, but you take it to extremes. afro I don't think you could pay me to race 2 all out marathons that close together!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 am

mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

No, no, there's not. We're all a little crazy here, but you take it to extremes. afro I don't think you could pay me to race 2 all out marathons that close together!

Well it seems not only does not one pay me but i have to pay registration fees of what $100+ each. Imagine paying $200+ to go through this.

I did from MCM to NCR with a 4 week difference and also from toronto to philly 8 week difference shaved 13 minutes this will be a 5 week difference so the key is to recover and maintain and really use Philly as back up. It will be very hard to shave much off but I did shave 2 minutes from MCM to NCR. I see 3:19:25 just a matter of which race! Smile
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:48 pm

looks like a good outdoor run!

I've run marathons 20 days apart but not raced. Closest I've ever raced was 7 weeks apart and the latter was my PR. It is funny to think that we pay to do these things to ourselves, in a way.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Julie wrote:looks like a good outdoor run!

I've run marathons 20 days apart but not raced. Closest I've ever raced was 7 weeks apart and the latter was my PR. It is funny to think that we pay to do these things to ourselves, in a way.

20 days is great even as fun runs.

It was double down thursday dd a quick 4 mile to give me 10 for the day 86 degrees and as usual I do not enjoy these runs. This is just about getting in the miles and with the warm weather it does not help at all. HR 142 was a bit high but pace was on the fast side of recovery 9:15.

Upcoming
Tomorrow is 9 miles total GA pace with 10x100 strides
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next