365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time between Goal Marathons

3 posters

Go down

Time between Goal Marathons Empty Time between Goal Marathons

Post  mountandog Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:59 pm

I am considering running a marathon over Labor Day weekend to support my eldest son and daughter who are trying to BQ. I can either try and pace my son (3:10) which will put me at PR pace (current is 3:11:57) or pace my D who wants to come in around 3:35 (BQ -5). I also have a secret desire to run a fast fall marathon, example: Wineglass, to definitely go for a PR. I think I'm in good enough condition to go for that sub-3:10 (Go Steamrollers!!) on Labor Day but am worried that there isn't enough time to go for another goal race in the fall.

So my question is: Based on your experience how much time do you need between hard efforts to realistically go for a PRs?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Time between Goal Marathons Empty Re: Time between Goal Marathons

Post  Julie Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:12 pm

4 months feels about perfect to me.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:16 pm

First off glad you made your way over here Mike and it was great to meet you in Boston this past Spring.

As to your question I think it is going to be different for everyone. I read in Running Times about people running fast marathon times month after month. Now it was a PR effort in either race but I did run Chicago 2007 and then 2 weeks later I ran another marathon in N.C. I ran much better in the N.C. marathon which was on a very hilly course.

So do I think that you can run a PR on Labor Day weekend and then turnaround and do another one in the Fall sure it is possible. I guess the questions is how fast do you recovery from running a marathon? Only you can be the best judge of that. The other thing would be what type of course is the Labor Day Weekend marathon? Flat or Hilly? Maybe you recovery faster from one or the other.

I might find out this fall about what my body can handle more also. I will be running Chicago on Oct 9th haven't decided if I will go for a PR or just run a sub 3 and then turn around a month and 10 days later and run the JFK 50 miler. I feel that if I did race Chicago that I normally recover pretty fast from the flat course compared to after running Boston.

But generally when I'm going for marathon PR's it has been from Chicago to Boston so that is 6 months between both marathons. I will normally take some downtime and then train for hard for 4 months. But I think that anything is possible.

Hope that helps.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down