365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strong Arm Robberies

+7
Nick Morris
Julie
GregC
Schuey
Bob
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
11 posters

Go down

Strong Arm Robberies Empty Strong Arm Robberies

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Ok, so I'm not much for using vulgar words online (go figure). However, with the recent mob attacks on the Lakefront Path, the attempted rape on the Lakefront Path south and now this strong arm robbery on my other route....my message to these hoodlums? You assholes stay the fuck away from me and my running area...this is getting old! Get a job, go play tag, do something. Get a life.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-14/news/chi-3-questioned-in-south-loop-strongarm-robberies-20110714_1_robberies-south-loop-police

BTW, it doesn't matter what time of day this took place. The point is that it's happening. The attempted rape took place at 2 in the afternoon.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Strong Arm Robberies Empty Re: Strong Arm Robberies

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:47 pm

That totally sucks, Lisa! We were riding earlier today and someone asked me about a Rails to Trails in Atlanta, and why I didn't ride there - well that is the same Rails to Trails where a 50 yr old woman was attacked, raped and killed - ride there? Not I - but we need to castrate these predators!!!! Urgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:59 pm

This kind of crap pisses me off, too. One of the things that intrigues me is how so many people have been outraged by this entire Casey Anthony crap. I only wish more people would put just as much anger and energy in being upset about these thugs causing problems in what used to be a much safer area of downtown and it's beaches. This has definitely given me second thoughts of bringing my kids to a beach during the summertime.

And how about this description of the suspects: "The males are between the ages of 18 and 25, ranging between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall each, and between 140 and 200 pounds, police said."

Yep, I think I know exactly who that could be.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Bob wrote:This kind of crap pisses me off, too. One of the things that intrigues me is how so many people have been outraged by this entire Casey Anthony crap. I only wish more people would put just as much anger and energy in being upset about these thugs causing problems in what used to be a much safer area of downtown and it's beaches. This has definitely given me second thoughts of bringing my kids to a beach during the summertime.

And how about this description of the suspects: "The males are between the ages of 18 and 25, ranging between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall each, and between 140 and 200 pounds, police said."

Approval spot on Bob! I'm getting fing tired of this shit also. I'm tired of having to watch my back when I'm out doing something that I enjoy the heck out of. Plus not only that I don't want to have to worry any more about my wife when she goes out on a run. Lord knows she has enough problems not tripping over her own feet at times. This is one of the reasons why I have been doing so much more running with Lisa. Yes I want to help her get better but I'm actually running more with her because I don't need some asshole out there trying to hurt her. It's a shame that this is what our society is coming to.

What a bunch of pussies!! Let's jump out of a car hit someone from behind and then rob them. Really that is all you got! Hell I would rather have you come face to face with me and fight me like a real man! Ok I'm going to stop because now I'm getting even more pissed!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Bob wrote:This kind of crap pisses me off, too. One of the things that intrigues me is how so many people have been outraged by this entire Casey Anthony crap. I only wish more people would put just as much anger and energy in being upset about these thugs causing problems in what used to be a much safer area of downtown and it's beaches.

I agree Bob, and I hate to admit, I was one of those that got wrapped up in the Casey crap. Your statement has sparked an interest on my part to try and do something about this. Martin and I will see what we can do to help put an end to this stuff. We have community meetings with the Chicago Police that we can attend.

Yeah, that description couldn't have been any more vague, could it? Strong Arm Robberies Shakehead

Michele - that's too bad about that rail to trail. I hate the fact that you enjoy doing something on that trail and cannot do so comfortably. Just so sad to me.

I will just be wearing my wedding band and leaving my diamond at home, along with my necklace. It's a shame I and others need to do that in order to be safe. It actually angers me a lot; that in order for me to avoid being a target, I need to leave stuff at home.

The thing about Prairie is that it's SOOOOO nice and I've always felt safe running there. However, and I told this to Martin the other day, I'd been getting the Spidey Senses kicking in on my runs on that route lately. In order to mix things up, I run down Michigan Avenue South, turn left onto 18th street, down Prairie, down Roosevelt - how's that for covering the attack area? Guess what loop I'm no longer doing. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Bob wrote:And how about this description of the suspects: "The males are between the ages of 18 and 25, ranging between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall each, and between 140 and 200 pounds, police said."

That is ridiculous.

Schuey wrote:I'm tired of having to watch my back when I'm out doing something that I enjoy the heck out of.

I'd say you're safe...something tells me The Bull isn't exactly their target market.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 pm

So, the Chicago Police told the community the ethnicity. Shame on you Chicago News outlets for not revealing it if you knew. Having a description whether you're purple, green or pink helps in identifying these jerks. Then again, I'd get sick of having to write the same articles over and over again too. Neutral We found out today that the police have arrested 3 of the suspects.

I did notice that there were cops driving on the Lakefront tonight which was really nice.
Strong Arm Robberies Img0507ex
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Seriously, I had the police ask me what skin color the guy who violated right of way to nearly hit my jogging stroller and age and gender even though I already gave them the license plate # and type of van (it was a cable co. van so pretty easy to remember). Anyway, please stay safe! I try to run in a group when possible but don't all the time but I'm not willing to give up running out of fear right now.

Some people are jerks and violent criminals, but I try to remember that most people aren't doing those kind of crimes (although it only takes one to really hurt your view of many).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Bob wrote:This kind of crap pisses me off, too. One of the things that intrigues me is how so many people have been outraged by this entire Casey Anthony crap. I only wish more people would put just as much anger and energy in being upset about these thugs causing problems in what used to be a much safer area of downtown and it's beaches. This has definitely given me second thoughts of bringing my kids to a beach during the summertime.

Exactly!!!!Strong Arm Robberies 424776184
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:16 pm

One more thing to worry about when Peggy runs in that area.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Maybe it's just me - but I don't think you should worry too much. I mean, logically, these robbers should go for targets that appear to be carrying valuable items. I think you'll be relatively safe unless you run with a designer handbag and heavy blings. Well, maybe if you don a pair of $300 sunglasses and some ridiculously looking shoes while you run. I've heard people got their iPods robbed. In any case, maybe run with a buddy for a while until the criminals are apprehended.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Kevin L wrote:Maybe it's just me - but I don't think you should worry too much. I mean, logically, these robbers should go for targets that appear to be carrying valuable items. I think you'll be relatively safe unless you run with a designer handbag and heavy blings. Well, maybe if you don a pair of $300 sunglasses and some ridiculously looking shoes while you run. I've heard people got their iPods robbed. In any case, maybe run with a buddy for a while until the criminals are apprehended.

I wish you were right, Kevin. But this from just a few weeks ago:

chicagotribune.com

Police warn of attack on lakefront bike path

Staff report
8:29 PM CDT, June 15, 2011

Chicago police today released a community alert warning of the attempted kidnapping of a jogger on a lakefront bike path.

The 30-year-old woman was jogging Friday on the path at about the 3500 block of South Lake Shore Drive when the attacker grabbed her from behind in an attempt to pull her to an unspecified location, police said in the alert issued Wednesday night.

After a brief struggle the woman broke free and escaped, while the attacker fled northbound on the bike path, police said.

The alert describes the attacker a black, 19-21 years old, 5-foot-11 to 6-foot tall, 200 to 210 pounds with a dark complexion, He was wearing blue jeans with blue boxer shorts, and no shirt.

Anyone with information is asked to call Wentworth Area detectives at 312-747-8380, and reference RD No. HT340463.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Bob wrote:
Kevin L wrote:Maybe it's just me - but I don't think you should worry too much. I mean, logically, these robbers should go for targets that appear to be carrying valuable items. I think you'll be relatively safe unless you run with a designer handbag and heavy blings. Well, maybe if you don a pair of $300 sunglasses and some ridiculously looking shoes while you run. I've heard people got their iPods robbed. In any case, maybe run with a buddy for a while until the criminals are apprehended.

I wish you were right, Kevin. But this from just a few weeks ago:

chicagotribune.com

Police warn of attack on lakefront bike path

Staff report
8:29 PM CDT, June 15, 2011

Chicago police today released a community alert warning of the attempted kidnapping of a jogger on a lakefront bike path.

The 30-year-old woman was jogging Friday on the path at about the 3500 block of South Lake Shore Drive when the attacker grabbed her from behind in an attempt to pull her to an unspecified location, police said in the alert issued Wednesday night.

After a brief struggle the woman broke free and escaped, while the attacker fled northbound on the bike path, police said.

The alert describes the attacker a black, 19-21 years old, 5-foot-11 to 6-foot tall, 200 to 210 pounds with a dark complexion, He was wearing blue jeans with blue boxer shorts, and no shirt.

Anyone with information is asked to call Wentworth Area detectives at 312-747-8380, and reference RD No. HT340463.

I wish more than anything you were too, Kevin. Unfortunately, this has been happening a lot as of late and it doesn't matter if you're walking or running, on the path or on a sidewalk. It's sad Sad

Here is the latest news on the 3 suspects arrested: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-3-charged-in-south-loop-robberies-20110715,0,7207596.story
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:28 am

Well, I think I'm still with Kevin on this one. I feel pretty safe on the lakefront path and nothing that has happened over the past few months has changed that.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:16 am

GregC wrote:Well, I think I'm still with Kevin on this one. I feel pretty safe on the lakefront path and nothing that has happened over the past few months has changed that.

I would tend to agree with you on this Greg from a male standpoint. From a women's and my wife point of view it's starting to become border line. The one attack/attempt rape happen at 2:00pm on a Friday by the basketball courts running south by the beach house. So I although I feel that it is pretty safe this is not cool and one really needs to keep an eye open, not just for themselves but for or fellow runners and others exercising on the lakefront.

If you ask Lisa I have always been one to say I feel the lakefront path is safe and that I thought she was a little crazy to think not but again looking at it from her point of view as a woman with a nice wedding ring and other items it sure would be a good day for a thug! That is why she doesn't wear any of it on the path anymore.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Problem is these are not isolated incidents. Mob attacks in broad daylight have been occuring since school let out with some happening at crowded beaches. Also attacks on subway platforms where they snatch and grab i-pod, i-phones and what-have-you. This is the big city and stick ups have occurred throughout the years. Happened to a co-worker about ten years ago. I think they know they will get less time in the pokey if they just tackle you as opposed to using lethal force. I think if I were female I'd be carrying pepper spray.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Whenever I read about this type of thing, I get motivated to carry pepper spray. Then I take it with me for a few days and nothing happens, and I stop carrying it...

Reading about this stuff makes me want to take a self-defense class. I'm not going to not run on the lakefront path because of what could potentially happen. That's just allowing these people to win. That being said, I want to be as prepared as I can be if something should happen.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Penelope wrote:Whenever I read about this type of thing, I get motivated to carry pepper spray. Then I take it with me for a few days and nothing happens, and I stop carrying it...

Reading about this stuff makes me want to take a self-defense class. I'm not going to not run on the lakefront path because of what could potentially happen. That's just allowing these people to win. That being said, I want to be as prepared as I can be if something should happen.

By no means would I suggest not running out there. Like others have said it is a safe place and I really don't worry. I guess the point is at certain times of day/night you just have to be more aware of you surroundings and what is going on. There are a lot of people out running there and I would still stand by what Greg has said that I do feel 100% safe when I run out there. I also tell Lisa she has no reason not to feel safe either.

With the few things that are going on I would just suggest staying alert like we all should on a daily bases because no matter where we are or what we are doing there just some assholes out there that are looking to take advantage of people.

BUT YES THE LAKEFRONT IN MY OPINION IS SAFE AND THERE IS NO NEED TO NOT RUN OUT THERE!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down