365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Running in the heat...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Running in the heat...

Post  sir digby on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:17 pm

hot damn Matt, that's all I need to read to keep me hitting the roads in this heat.
I wonder if this is one of the overlooked ingredients for the Kenyans, not only do they do a lot of elevation training, they do it in brutal conditions?
sir digby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm

@sir digby wrote:hot damn Matt, that's all I need to read to keep me hitting the roads in this heat.
I wonder if this is one of the overlooked ingredients for the Kenyans, not only do they do a lot of elevation training, they do it in brutal conditions?

Not to mention the wild animals that they have to run from...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 am

Interesting study, and I'm sure there are lessons to be learnt from it. In particular, I'm impressed that improvements should be evident after only ten days. But for the last two months, I have been running mostly in temperatures between 99 and 106, and this has had a drastic effect on both speed and weekly mileage. I would not back anecdote against science, but perhaps it is only in short periods like ten days that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I have always believed that altitude has much more benefit that temperature, which I just thought of as mentally toughening. I'm prepared to change my mind, but I'd like to see more studies, particularly ones of longer duration.
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 am

I understand there are also studies showing that tapering in the heat has similar benefits.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 am

This greeted me in my in-box today. Running a race in this is not going to be fun. I wonder if they will cancel it? Heat Index up to 120?! Yowsa:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Baltimore/Washington, MD
4:31 am EDT, Fri., Jul. 22, 2011

... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING... ... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 8 PM EDT SATURDAY...

* TEMPERATURE... HIGH TEMPERATURE FRIDAY IN THE LOWER 100s. HIGH TEMPERATURE SATURDAY AROUND 100.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES... 115 TO 120.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:22 am

I like the study, but I think it requires a "perfect storm" set of events to really benefit us. We need:

- very warm temperatures during the early/mid training cycle, which generates the increased capacity
- warm temperatures the month before a target race
- cool temperatures for the race - which allows the increased capacity developed during the warm weather to benefit us.

If we get cool weather too soon before a target race, then the body will adapt down to the temps and we'll lose the training benefit. Does this make sense? In other words, we do get a training benefit from training in the heat but it is temporary.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 am

@Chris M wrote:This greeted me in my in-box today. Running a race in this is not going to be fun. I wonder if they will cancel it? Heat Index up to 120?! Yowsa:

Baltimore/Washington, MD

... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING... ... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 8 PM EDT SATURDAY...

* TEMPERATURE... HIGH TEMPERATURE FRIDAY IN THE LOWER 100s. HIGH TEMPERATURE SATURDAY AROUND 100.

The official high in St. Louis was 103 yesterday. There's very little reason to even go outside at that point, let alone try to run in it.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 am

@Chris M wrote:This greeted me in my in-box today. Running a race in this is not going to be fun. I wonder if they will cancel it? Heat Index up to 120?! Yowsa:

Baltimore/Washington, MD

Hmmm...that sounds warm
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:49 am

@JohnP wrote:we do get a training benefit from training in the heat but it is temporary.

Yes, that is the rub. Which means that continuing to train in the heat during taper is important, the challenge is to not let the heat interfere with our efforts to rest/recover.
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Baltimore/Washington, MD

Sounds nasty - just be careful.....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Although it is only 88F here now (but 95F with the dew point, etc and due to go up to 93F for real), a large transformer blew (too many people forced to use A/C that never do), and we were without power for 26 hrs. It got to be nasty hot (of course, I grew up without A/C in New England), but I did manage to run 12 miles this morning after sleeping in the heat on the outside porch.

When I was running my last two miles, I met up with a friend (who was running) at the water fountain and she wanted to know if I had just gone in the lake as that is how wet I was - I literally had to take off my running gear on the back porch with my daughter holding up a towel since I was leaving puddles. I lost 4 lbs on the run despite having drank 24 oz of Cytomax and water!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Baltimore/Washington, MD

Dude that's ok go follow your coach's lead and kill it. Oh wait 120 F that, I think I would be passing on racing in that. Training I will be crazy enough to do it but all out race effort, don't think so.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top