365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

+27
Peg Coover
Mrs. Schuey
Alex Kubacki
jon c
Dave P
Jim Lentz
Julie
Penelope
JohnP
mul21
Liz R
Randy E
Paula Sue
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
Dave Bussard
Gobbles
Dave Wolfe
dot520
Kenny B.
Schuey
Matt W
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Dave-O
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
31 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 7 Empty Re: Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Behind on posting and trying to keep up with everyone's accomplishments. I am still running - ended up with 52 miles last week and an aborted attempt at 20, both due to weather raining, thunder and lightning as well as just not feeling it. Today; however, was a different as 20 came very easy and I actually ended up running 21 miles. Weather was in the low 60s and the humidity was way down - thanks for that. I also think I was dehydrated at the start last week, but this week, I was right on the money with that. Of course, this means I'll not be running the 13.1 Atlanta this Sunday which is for the best as I need to focus on the GR Half and NYC. Recap of last week:

Monday - 7 easy miles with striders

Tuesday - 6 miles with 12 x 1 min pickups @ 7 min pace (in lieu of track work)

Wednesday - 5 recovery miles

Thursday - 16.8 miles Supposed to be 20, but the same monsoon that chased Gobbles got to us along with some nasty thunder and lightning forcing us to quit. This same storm took out power lines, a transformer, and a tree in front of our subdivision causing me to creatively get to the airport on Friday morning.

Friday - 5 tempo miles in Falmouth, MA in the drizzle and humidity

Saturday - 6.3 miles @ 8:30 pace in the same warmth and humidity in Falmouth

Sunday - 6.67 easy recovery miles

Total for the week: 52.77 miles

Achilles feels much better as I've had my massage therapist work on it, and I've been rolling my foot on a tennis ball (even though the fascia doesn't hurt like PF - it is there as well). It didn't bother me at all during my 20 today, so I was very happy with that. I also was able to do a successful track workout this week of 5 x 1 mile, so it has been good so far. Tomorrow I'm pacing some of the Half Marathon trainees through a beautiful 10K up in Cartersville, GA. It is too bad that it really isn't fall yet here so the leaves won't yet be turning. It is; however, supposed to actually dip into the 50s tonight, so the weather should be awesome.

I committed to XC Nationals in Seattle the weekend of December 10. It is a 6K race for the women, and I hope I'll be sufficiently recovered as it is a month after NYC. Guess I'll do a bit more trail running after NYC to help get prepared. Of course, I'm already wondering what shoes to wear as I do not own spikes and I'm not buying them for one race.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 7 Empty Re: Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:36 pm

I'd just grab a pair of spikes on the cheap. You can get a pair for $30 or so from either Running Warehouse or Eastbay. As I'm sure you know, it's definitely worth it.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Your running is looking solid, Michele, congrats on the 21. I met the GR race director earlier this week.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Great training, Michele! Great job on the 21 and probably smart job on cutting the previous 20 short. T-storms are not that safe anyway.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:05 am

Hey there Michele, glad to see that things are going well and that you are putting in the miles.

It is so true what you said about the long run, it is so funny how one weekend it is a struggle to go out and run 20 miles and even when we get out there it is still a struggle. Then you can go out the next weekend and try again and it just comes so easy and you feel as if you can just stay out and run all day. Goes to show that the same thing can happen with marathon day and that we all hope on race day that it is one of those days when it all just comes easy to us.

Anyway keep up the good training!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Michele:
I assume you were working with your training group at Cartersville yesterday, but I missed you at 13.1 Atlanta today. They had some serious runners there. 63:59 on the 13.1 Atlanta Course...Wow! I though Cory B. (ATC Open Comp Team) had a chance until the Kenyan's joined us in the A-Corral.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Nice looking week Michele. I'm glad to see the AT isn't too much of a problem. The XC nationals sounds pretty exciting. Looking forward to reading more about it as it gets closer.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Gobbles wrote:Michele:
I assume you were working with your training group at Cartersville yesterday, but I missed you at 13.1 Atlanta today. They had some serious runners there. 63:59 on the 13.1 Atlanta Course...Wow! I though Cory B. (ATC Open Comp Team) had a chance until the Kenyan's joined us in the A-Corral.

You are correct, I ran the 10K in Cartersville yesterday with some trainees managing 2nd in my AG in an embarassingly slow time and after running 20.5 on Friday. My coach and I decided that I needed to rest my legs and take a break from those hills. After all, GR HM and NYC are my real focus and I wouldn't want to jeopardize those races. I'm even hoping as a long shot I can run 1:38-1:39 at Grand Rapids as the course is pretty flat with only some small rollers in the beginning. We will see.

I did; however, give my 13.1 bib to a friend who ran a nice 1:43 for me.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:32 am

Just catching up as I finished my 62nd mile this week. My goal was to just get over the 60, and I did, but I also feel like I'm slowing down a bit. Nothing hurts, but my mile splits have slipped closer to 9 min miles. Of course, my 21 miler on Friday was all done at 9 min pace - so that is where it belongs. I have a mini-taper coming up this week with a half marathon race coming up this weekend in Grand Rapids. I hope to be able to run in the 1:40-1:41 range, but we will see.

Sorry about the warm weather in Chicago this morning. I'm hoping my friend Jody that trained with us is ok. We typically run in the exact same weather, so she should be, but it is still warm for 26.2 miles. It is 65F here, but overcast and blustery with low humidity (62%) for us. It is supposed to rain later today which we need tremendously; however, I'm off to Cleveland to check in with my contractor up there, and it is beautiful there - for visiting.

Quick recap:

Monday - 6 easy miles with striders. Temps were in the upper 40s!

Tuesday - 8.5 miles done as 10 x 800m at an average of 3:30; Core work

Wednesday - Easy 7 with striders

Thursday - Easy 6 with 10 x 40 s hill at the end

Friday - 21.0 miles averaging 9:01 pace. Miles 15-18 were slower but on the trail, last miles were around 8:45-8:50

Saturday - 9 miles with training group. Hilly run and I was the 9:45 pacer

Sunday - Easy 5 miles at recovery pace.

Total for the week: 62.5 miles
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:44 am

Solid week things look real good for yoU!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:25 pm

That was very strong week Michele. Finishing your long runs with some faster miles was great. I'm looking at your week and seeing a lot of miles with no rest days, so perhaps the slower splits that you mentioned are just the result of tired legs. It doesn't look like anything to lose sleep over.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 am

I agree, Seth and the fact that it had gotten warmer again. However, it was 53F this morning here in Cleveland, the legs felt great, and I sailed through my interval workout. Go figure.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:16 am

Nice training, Michele! And congrats on a good workout this morning, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Well after a disappointing race on Sunday, I've actually taken the last two days off, and I'm thinking this one might be a pass as well. I know that I needed to let my body rest as its rebellion was pretty obvious on Sunday. I am feeling a bit guilty though, which I probably shouldn't, but I am. As a quick recap, training was going very well until I hit a snag last Friday morning (actually probably during Thursday's run as well) as my right glute/hammie started to act up again and was incredibly tight for the whole 5 miles. I tried to stretch it out with some striders and when I got home, I babied it and even used my ultrasound to see if I could loosen it up. Saturday came around as the leg was really bothering me on the plane ride up, but it did seem to loosen up later in the day. Had a great dinner with friends who had come to celebrate with Judy and met John P and his wife as well. Of course, while warming up on Sunday morning, it really wouldn't respond and I honestly thought about packing the race in at 4 miles. I decided instead to just back off the pace from the 7:30s I wanted to run and I finished the half in 1:42:11 good enough for 37th woman overall, 9th master, and 3rd in my AG. But even with the AG hardware, it wasn't enough to make up for the very sore glute and hammie. I did after the race jog out to the 24 mile mark and then ran the final 2.2 miles with Judy who was running her 50th state. (I'm in the bright neon green and Judy is in the white shirt with the flag.) The leg felt fine running that pace.Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 7 29969311

The party on Sunday night was terrifc and it was great to hang out with friends, but fast forward to Monday morning when I woke up feeling more beat up from 13.1 miles than from any marathon that I've run in a long time. Came home and didn't run, got a massage yesterday (and it feels better) and didn't run, and now today, the leg feels ready to go, but alas I've lost a little of the mojo that I need to get out there. Of course, since it was pouring this morning, and is now 45F, I guess I can see where it went. I know that the hay is in the barn, but of course, now I'm assuming that NYC will be a failure due to three missed days taht I'm sure my body was craving.

Anyhow, enough about me and the whining. I need desperately to get back on the road. Signing off.........
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Just catching up as I finished my 62nd mile this week.

That is a huge week for you, Michele - no wonder you are a little banged up. That was nice of you to pace a friend. Now relax!!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Well, you know that NYC won't be a failure. Hopefully you are up to some workouts Thur-Sun. WIth the little extra rest this week, you can run and still have tapered. Hopefully there will be no pain.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Dang...hope that glut (hammi) is coming along. When are you moving to Cleveland?
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Obviously missing three days will be of no consequence for NY. Your training has been great, and now it's done. Don't be afraid to give the glute/hamstring even a little more extra rest. The important thing is that it's better in ten days.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Last week finished off well with 34 miles from Thursday -Sunday. (In case you read this Gobbles, I ran with Gina Bolen on Sunday morning for 8 miles). I then only ran an easy recovery 2 miles on Monday, a nice 5 mile tempo yesterday and had another scheduled rest day today. I have a short speed session on Thursday, and easy 8 and 12 milers left for the week and then the final week before NYC. Can't believe it is almost here, and I'm getting very anxious.

As for the glute/hammie, it is much better. My massage therapist left her handprints in the muscles, but it surely helped. I am scheduled to see her again next Wednesday before the race to just flush things out. I'm of course feeling slow and sluggish which is expected out of taper, but I'm really not going completely crazy yet. My computer had a major crash (I'm using an old one), so that occupied my time for the last couple of days along with trying to help my daughter and her friends with their Halloween costumes for school. Seniors get to dress up and they dressed up lke "pinatas" complete with cray paper streamers, dockey ears, and candy. They asked me if they looked like I should beat them with a stick - I took the 5th.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:As for the glute/hammie, it is much better.
Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 7 424776184

Michele "1L" Keane wrote: I'm of course feeling slow and sluggish which is expected out of taper, but I'm really not going completely crazy yet.
I totally don't get the taper thing - I feel like crap with down time too - thought we were supposed to feel good with a taper scratch. Can't wait to hear how the race goes...

Oh, and I am probably going to be in ATL for Thanksgiving and thought the half marathon there would be a good training run and might be sort of fun to do before destroying myself with too much food. Any thoughts on it?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Update: my daughter and her friends won the costume contest at school!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm supposed to be freaking, but I'm really not. I hope that bodes well for sunday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 am

Sorry if I missed it, but do you have a time goal for NY? Looks like the weather will be decent enough...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 am

Sounds like your training has gone about as well as it could have Michele. Best wishes for an outstanding race this weekend! Congrats on helping with the costumes that won also!!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Good luck on Sunday. Going to be a great day.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next