365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:58 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Sorry if I missed it, but do you have a time goal for NY? Looks like the weather will be decent enough...

My "A" goal is sub 3:45

My "B" goal is sub 3:56 which is the time I ran in 2005

My "C" goal is to finish upright and smiling.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 am

Last run this morning. It was probably race start temp (45F), but a bit blustery. I felt ok, but now I'm getting positively downright nervous. My two training buddies have already run their races (Chicago and St. Louis) and in both cases they ran into warm weather at the end. Don't think I'll have that just some crowding; however, I'll be in the back of Wave 1 and hopefully Wave 2 runners won't trample me down too quickly. Glad that I had lots of computer issues this past two weeks as it made me forget about running.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Good luck Michele!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Michele - Maybe ironic and a bit sad that my first post on your blog is only 2 days shy of your race, especially considering how much support you've offered me on mine, but I wanted to wish you luck on your race Sunday. I promise to try and be a bit better about actually posting when I stop by from now on! Smile
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Have a great race tomorrow Michele!
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Very quick. Back from NY and except for my tight left Achilles (which has bothered me on and off all training period), I feel great and could probably run 4-5 miles if I wanted to. I attribute that to good training and even though I didn't run the smartest race (I kind of lost it in the last 5K), I am very pleased with yesterday. I thought I could do the 3:40 and with the weather right and the glute/hammie right, I went for it, and I did pay in that I left it all out there by that hill on 5th Ave. I stopped very briefly to hug a good friend at mile 20, but kept right on rolling, and I never walked a step and even in those last two miles (which were only 9:09 and 9:11) That in itself (along with no real pain today) leads me to believe that I have that 3:40 in me again.

Still contemplating the full at Houston (yes, Kevin I am), but that will be an Expo call as it will be somewhat weather dependent. I only want to do it to get TX off the list and I know I can cruise in at training pace and make it an easy 4-4:15 effort before Boston. I think it I play my cards right, a good time could be had in Beantown yet again.

Thanks all for sending good race karma. I thought about you often during the race and kept cursing myself as I couldn't seem to slow down enough and I knew better. I was on 3:42-3:43 pace most of the race (I had pace bands for both).

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Great job, Michele!

I like your plans for next year, too. If you need TX Cowtown in Ft Worth was very well organized but it was quite hot and humid that day for me this yr. So I like the idea of waiting till you see the weather forecast. I'm thinking more and more of that strategy.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Great marathon Michele!
Considering you weren't 100% healthy for much of the training, you did a great job, coming so close to hitting your "A" goal" I think you're right, with the right conditions, you should be able to get back down to 3:40 without too much trouble.
Again, I'm sorry I wasn't able to join you guys for the post race beer.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 am

Congratulations, Michele! It sounds like things are coming around for you. Way to go!
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Oh, I almost forgot and well the competitive me is getting into this, but I did indeed beat a woman on Sunday who runs around here. She is one of those who thinks that she is just way better than everyone else and she never really acknowledges me when we end up in the same running group (sometimes) in the morning (we have two mutual running friends). Anyway, I've got a few years on her and 5 min.

Just came back from a massage and I really feel good. Tomorrow I'm going to test the legs I think.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Oh, I almost forgot and well the competitive me is getting into this, but I did indeed beat a woman on Sunday who runs around here. She is one of those who thinks that she is just way better than everyone else and she never really acknowledges me when we end up in the same running group (sometimes) in the morning (we have two mutual running friends). Anyway, I've got a few years on her and 5 min.

Just came back from a massage and I really feel good. Tomorrow I'm going to test the legs I think.

See? That's a nice plus, even if you didn't hit your ideal time goal.

Even more so is that you feel good enough to want to get right back out there while others who ran on Sunday are still in waddling mode. Approval
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am

So a week after NY, I feel great - way better than I have after a marathon in a long time. I did have a massage this week, and I did end up running 13.5 miles yesterday (albeit at a 10 min pace), but with no ill affects. I do have a mild cold as I expected I would get, but other than that I feel fine.

I'm going to attribute my feelign good to a surprising statistic that I looked at this year. To date, I've run 1775 miles in 2011 which is already 163 miles more than all of 2010, and I've missed very little time due to injury and in most cases the "injuries" were a bit of overuse which jsut required me to back off for a few days and then resume easily. I've varied the workouts more, run some faster miles (more speedwork) and backed off on the multiple marathons with little miles in between. For 2012, i'm going to add at least a Spring marathon (Boston), but other than that, I think I'm going to stick with racing halfs, 10Ks and other shorter distances to maintain the "speed" as well as do the double long runs on the weekend (I've been doing my longer run on Friday followed by a minimum of 9-10 on Saturday and it seems to be working), I'd love to run Boston as fast as I ran NY or maybe a tad faster, but smarter if I can. I know the course with my eyes closed, so I should be able to execute a better/smarter race.

Here are some interesting statistics from my mileage logs from 2004 to 2011:

Year Yearly Mileage

2004 1609 (3 marathons - Ave. time 3:55)

2005 1414 (3 marathons - Ave. time 3:57)

2006 1641 (3 marathons - Ave. time 4:12 - pacer)

2007 1309 (4 marathons - Ave. time 4:01 - paced 2)

2008 1226 (3 marathons - Ave. time 4:20 Injured and out for 8 wks 2x)

2009 1414 (3 marathons - Out 8 wks after 3rd)

2010 1612 (4 marathons - Staff infection after #3)

2011 1775 It's only Nov. 13th! One marathon 3:46, well recovered.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Great looking year Michele. No doubt the additional miles, lack of down time, and strategic training paid off nicely. After all those marathons, it's great to see that you keep getting faster.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Looks like it's been a great year for you!

I like your plan of running one marathon next year and shorter races. One of these summers I'm going to do that so I'm not stuck running 16-20 miles every weekend no matter how hot it is.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:48 pm

At least when I Age Grade my current times, they are not very far off what I ran when i was in my late 20s/early 30s. Amen to that!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:41 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Oh, I almost forgot and well the competitive me is getting into this, but I did indeed beat a woman on Sunday who runs around here. She is one of those who thinks that she is just way better than everyone else and she never really acknowledges me when we end up in the same running group (sometimes) in the morning (we have two mutual running friends). Anyway, I've got a few years on her and 5 min.
That is awesome! Why are some people like that?

That is a crazy 8 year span of running, Michele. Impressive to say the least (although I know you have more years running than that behind you). Your plan of running more shorter races sounds like fun - I sort of like running in the small and friendly races. Have you targeted any more sprints/olympic triathlons for next year yet?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I agree that those mileage figures are daunting. That alone is a huge accomplishment, not to mention how many marathons you've done in those 8 years...
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:At least when I Age Grade my current times, they are not very far off what I ran when i was in my late 20s/early 30s. Amen to that!

+1
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Stephen (Gobbles) and I after the Atlanta Half. Note: Gobbles ran from the back of the pack under his alias "Fred" Wink

And me coming into the finish:

Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, I'm tired which might be weird, but I have run 40 miles already this week with a track workout (5x1 mile) and I've got 10 more to go. I guess it is all relative, but it will be my highest mileage week since before NY and I did pretty much race a half marathon last Thursday. I was reading the Marathon Maniacs FB site though and seeing people who are running CIM tomorrow morning and then Vegas tomorrow night, and I constantly wonder how they do it! When i became a maniac (I'm 795 and they are up over 4700 now), I darn near killed myself running 4 marathons in 4 months, and some of these people run 1 or even 2 every weekend. I guess Benji (Durden) said it best when he told me that you have to make a decision whether you will run fast or run a lot as he and his wife are edging towards 50 states. Of course, Benji's slow is a 3:30ish at the Atlanta Marathon at 60, but then again, he was/is an elite runner who made an Olympic team (1980) and was 3rd at Boston once. Still it is hard for me to fathom that you can run that much? I'm guessing they really don't train much during the week, but run 26.2 even weekend? Either way, I doubt I could ever do it which makes it a pretty remarkable feat no matter how fast or slow those marathons are run.

Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous about next Saturday's upcoming XC Club Nationals Race in Seattle. The good news is that the course is flat by my (Atlanta) standards as there appear to be no hills of any consequence (on the video of the Pac 10 Championships last year); however, it is all grass and on a golf course which could be tough for footing especially if it rains. It is of course, Seattle. Right now though the weather looks cold (40s), but dry. As a Masters woman, our race is the first of the morning (10 am) and then we get to watch all of the other races. I've thought about wearing XC spikes, but I think if it stays dry, my racing flats or a borrowed pair of XC flats will be fine. I'm wary of spikes and my achilles/calf as I have not worn them since the late 1980s. Could be a very long 6K. At least I know my marathon training has made me strong - fast; however, that is another issue.

I also finally retired my Garmin 305 this week which I have had since Christmas, 2005 (almost 6 yrs!). It finally just decided that it was no longer going to charge or keep a screen showing. My new 610 is sleek and I like it, but I'm still getting used to it.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I think it would be fun, once my PR days are behind me, which probably isn't too far down the road, to stop worrying about running fast and take on multiple marathons. It would be a nice shift in running priorities while still being able to set marathon goals.
I think it's almost time for me to also retire my ancient Garmin 205. It still holds a good charge, but it didn't keep anywhere close to accurate splits at Philly, saying that I ran over 26.6 miles. I'm excited to eventually get the 610. I'll have to save my pennies though.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Well, I'm tired which might be weird, but I have run 40 miles already this week with a track workout (5x1 mile) and I've got 10 more to go. I guess it is all relative, but it will be my highest mileage week since before NY and I did pretty much race a half marathon last Thursday. I was reading the Marathon Maniacs FB site though and seeing people who are running CIM tomorrow morning and then Vegas tomorrow night, and I constantly wonder how they do it! When i became a maniac (I'm 795 and they are up over 4700 now), I darn near killed myself running 4 marathons in 4 months, and some of these people run 1 or even 2 every weekend. I guess Benji (Durden) said it best when he told me that you have to make a decision whether you will run fast or run a lot as he and his wife are edging towards 50 states. Of course, Benji's slow is a 3:30ish at the Atlanta Marathon at 60, but then again, he was/is an elite runner who made an Olympic team (1980) and was 3rd at Boston once. Still it is hard for me to fathom that you can run that much? I'm guessing they really don't train much during the week, but run 26.2 even weekend? Either way, I doubt I could ever do it which makes it a pretty remarkable feat no matter how fast or slow those marathons are run.

Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous about next Saturday's upcoming XC Club Nationals Race in Seattle. The good news is that the course is flat by my (Atlanta) standards as there appear to be no hills of any consequence (on the video of the Pac 10 Championships last year); however, it is all grass and on a golf course which could be tough for footing especially if it rains. It is of course, Seattle. Right now though the weather looks cold (40s), but dry. As a Masters woman, our race is the first of the morning (10 am) and then we get to watch all of the other races. I've thought about wearing XC spikes, but I think if it stays dry, my racing flats or a borrowed pair of XC flats will be fine. I'm wary of spikes and my achilles/calf as I have not worn them since the late 1980s. Could be a very long 6K. At least I know my marathon training has made me strong - fast; however, that is another issue.

I also finally retired my Garmin 305 this week which I have had since Christmas, 2005 (almost 6 yrs!). It finally just decided that it was no longer going to charge or keep a screen showing. My new 610 is sleek and I like it, but I'm still getting used to it.

That stuff is unbelievable. I'd like to run a lot or run fast. I'll take either at this point. Good luck, I think it would be fun to get back into some CC races again.
healdgator
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 am

XC Club Championships was certainly fun and the weather held up for the most part. It was cold (40s), drizzly, but not windy which helped. The Masters women were the 1st race of the day, so the course was still pretty good footing-wise, but I definitely wished I had spikes since there were muddy,slippery spots which only grew larger over the 6K run. The good news is that I did not completely embarrass myself as I was not last and I did beat most of the 60+ athletes. (Of course, one of the 60 yr old women was phenomenal having just run an AG record at Twin Cities with a 3:10 marathon - wow!). I ended up 98th over of 152 overall finishers, 24th in my AG (45-49), and my team (40-49) placed 10th (out of 15). I would have been 25th in the 50-54 AG. I finished pretty much exactly where I thought I would amongst my teammates as well. Our ATC masters men were phenomenal placing 5 guys in the top 12, and 6 in the top 15. The 40-49 team took 1st, 50-59 took 1st, and 60-69 took 3rd. Our first runner (who turned 40 last January), ran down the 2nd place finisher in the last 100 m - awesome! Many of the open men and women are/were Olympic hopefuls or past Olympians which was very cool.

On an even better note though, my daughter was accepted Early Decision to Boston University yesterday which was/is her first choice and I have never been more proud of her. She worked her butt off the last 4 years to get that acceptance and it could not have come at a better time (on her 18 1/2 birthday). Now, I'll have a lot of red and white terriers around the house and I'll need to get extra sports channels in Cleveland to watch the Battle of Commonwealth Ave and the Beanpot. At least, I'll have spectators at Boston.

This week starts off with a couple of easy days and then right into training for the Houston half - my first race in my new AG.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Photos from the XC Club Championships;

Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 pm

That sounds like a blast and good job on the race! I agree - I don't know how people can run a marathon every weekend. I also don't understand how someone can run 50 or 100 miles at a time cyclops. Congrats to your daughter too - that is big news!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top