365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Running in Rockford

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running in Rockford

Post  Dave-O on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Anyone familiar with the area? I have a wedding there this weekend...looking for a place to run 20 early Saturday morning.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Running in Rockford

Post  Schuey on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm

I think Steve Foster has done some runs up there. I do believe there is a Park up there were you would be able to get in 20.

Rock Cut State Park.

http://www.city-data.com/articles/Rock-Cut-State-Park-in-Rockford-Illinois.html

Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Schuey wrote:I think Steve Foster has done some runs up there. I do believe there is a Park up there were you would be able to get in 20.

Rock Cut State Park.

http://www.city-data.com/articles/Rock-Cut-State-Park-in-Rockford-Illinois.html

Ok ok, good start. Now who can translate this for me?

Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Stay away from Rock Cut unless you have some inner billy goat tendencies. Run on the bike path along the Rock River. You'd be best to do 2 10 mile out and backs because the path has limited water. Start behind the YMCA, go through several parks and hang a left up the bridge on Riverside Blvd. Cross the street at the top of the bridge and you'll be on a winding trail down the hill. I'd suggest dropping water/gatorade there since that's the easiest access point. There's several water fountains in the parks you'll go through. The first is about 1.3 miles in and the second is about 3+ attached to the bathrooms in the park.

After you cross the street you'll have a little over a mile to go before you turn around in Sportcore (soccer/baseball fields/boat dock) and then turn around and do it again. You can keep going on the path, but I've never gone out more than 7 miles for a total of 14. There's no water at all past that 3 mile pit stop. Call or email me if you want more details.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:35 pm

mul21 wrote:Stay away from Rock Cut unless you have some inner billy goat tendencies. Run on the bike path along the Rock River. You'd be best to do 2 10 mile out and backs because the path has limited water. Start behind the YMCA, go through several parks and hang a left up the bridge on Riverside Blvd. Cross the street at the top of the bridge and you'll be on a winding trail down the hill. I'd suggest dropping water/gatorade there since that's the easiest access point. There's several water fountains in the parks you'll go through. The first is about 1.3 miles in and the second is about 3+ attached to the bathrooms in the park.

After you cross the street you'll have a little over a mile to go before you turn around in Sportcore (soccer/baseball fields/boat dock) and then turn around and do it again. You can keep going on the path, but I've never gone out more than 7 miles for a total of 14. There's no water at all past that 3 mile pit stop. Call or email me if you want more details.

I'm a Cubs fan. You know we despise Billy Goats. Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the info. I'll be in touch on Friday to make sure I know where I'm going. That sounds perfect.
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm

I used to travel to Rockford all the time for work and I ran on the Rock River bikepath all the time. Can't remember the name of the old hotel we used to stay at, but the bikepath ran right behind it. Be mindful that the bike path does have some hills, but is very nice and well maintained. I don't remember a lot of water fountains, but it might not have been the time of year that they would have been on.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm

sir digby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 pm

You might contact Farnk, I think he is familiar with that area and has run the Rockford marathon.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Just found this and uploaded it. If you hit show bike paths in the map options drop down, it'll show you exactly where the path goes. Pretty cool feature that I didn't know was on map my run.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43318646
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 am

I've done a trail series at the park in the past and it is hilly and some of the trails have roots, etc. The bike path would make for a faster and safer run.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewally and farnk on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 pm

JohnP wrote:You might contact Farnk, I think he is familiar with that area and has run the Rockford marathon.

Dave,
ROCK CUT is great, some hills but not bad (and I may be camping there this weekend..... and need a 13 on Sunday. BUT we are very different pace these days.)
The route behind the Y and along the river is BEAUTIFUL as well and mostly flat. Parts of shade as too.
SHERPA knows this area like the back of his hand. If you want, I can give him your number and he can direct you better.
littlewally and farnk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:49 pm

littlewally and farnk wrote:
Dave,
ROCK CUT is great, some hills but not bad (and I may be camping there this weekend..... and need a 13 on Sunday. BUT we are very different pace these days.)
The route behind the Y and along the river is BEAUTIFUL as well and mostly flat. Parts of shade as too.
SHERPA knows this area like the back of his hand. If you want, I can give him your number and he can direct you better.

I am going to stick with the flatter, easier route for my 20 on Saturday.

What time are you running the 13 on Sunday? I may be able to meet you, depending on how hungover I am. So I'd have no problem running at whatever pace you wanted. I'll PM you my cell #
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top