365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report

+8
Jim Lentz
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
fostever
Seth Harrison
Schuey
Jerry
Mark B
12 posters

Go down

Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report Empty Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Here's a race report from the Beacon Rock 25K. It was a gorgeous day in a beautiful area, and it was great seeing my V-Team buddy, Mike.

In a nutshell, I tried to be conservative and try to learn as much as I could from more experienced trail runners. What I learned surprised me.

1) I thought I was good at running downhill. Apparently not when it's as steep and rocky as this course, however. It beat the crap out of my feet (okay, so maybe Free 3.0s weren't such great idea after all) and left me walking/running/limping for most of the last 5 miles.

2) 3,700 feet is a LOT of climbing. Tough but far from impossible.

3) Descending 3,700 feet is harder than going up. It became torture. And not on my legs - but on my feet.

4) Free 3.0s are nice on short trail runs that aren't particularly technical. But at least until my feet get stronger… they don't do so well when the trail gets extremely rocky.

5) Electrolytes work! I took a total of eight Endurolytes during the run, and I refilled my handheld with Nuun at the aid station. I had no cramping problems and my leg muscles seemed to want to run.

6) When you're on a technical course when you're either going up a steep slope or down one, you never get a chance to use those regular running muscles. Who knew?

I did pretty well for the first 10 miles or so, until I got to the peak Hamilton Mountain, the second big climb in the run. I'd been looking forward to picking up the pace on the downhill, but when it was time to do it, my feet rebelled. I ran as much as I could, marveling at how the veterans could fly down the hills - even across fields of broken rock - while I was painfully picking my way along.

I ended up walking most of the last 5 miles, descending to about 0.3 miles before the finish line, when I had a steep climb. It was actually easier going up than down! I was still walking, however.

I finished in about 4:30-something. I got good support from the other 25k folks who'd finished before me... and miracle of miracles, I came in before the winner of the 50k. At least I didn't get lapped!

Amazingly enough, my legs feel pretty good afterward (not so much several days later), but my feet? I had a large blister on the outer edge of my heel, and a large blister directly in the middle of my heel. As I popped it, I couldn't help but think of "Run Fatboy Run."

I took some comfort in talking with experienced ultra runners who told me the course was, indeed, very difficult, and that the race director/course designer is sort of notorious for brutalizing runners on beautiful courses. I picked a heck of an event for my first trail race!

This is the view on top of Hamilton Mountain, the second biggest climb. Not so easy on the feet. And not a good place to trip!

Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report Rockyt10

The course also involved a lot of climbing, including a few places where you had to use the 3-points-of-contact technique.

Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report 3-poin10

And this one probably explains why I rolled my ankle a few times...

Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report Image_13

Here's a link to more race photos. The scenery was spectacular.

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report Empty Re: Beacon Rock 25K Trail Race report

Post  Jerry Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Nice start at trail race, Mark.

I read experienced trail racers just dash down the hills. Scary. affraid
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Congrats mark and wow doing ultra's now on trails! You live in a area were there are some great trail races to do. I did a 10k trail race with chris this past march and it was a blast!

Great photos also! Hope your feet are feeling better
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Wow, what beautiful photos. That looks like a total blast.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Beautiful scenic race Mark, congrats on the finish! Yeah, maybe the frees not such a great idea, ha! I have some great Addidas trail shoes for that type of terrain and have only used them twice, would love to live closer to some areas like those.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Still drooling over those photos. Glad your approach to your recent training was carried through in your race. Looks like you had a good time Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 pm

That course looks brutal, but stunningly beautiful. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in spite of the toughness of it all. Keep up the good work.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Jerry wrote:Nice start at trail race, Mark.

I read experienced trail racers just dash down the hills. Scary. affraid

I know! Isn't it amazing? I watched some of those guys and gals bouncing along those trails and all I could do was marvel and ask myself "How in the hell do they do that?" Because, I want to do it, too.

Schuey wrote:Congrats mark and wow doing ultra's now on trails! You live in a area were there are some great trail races to do. I did a 10k trail race with chris this past march and it was a blast!

Great photos also! Hope your feet are feeling better

I am lucky to have some great trails around here, Schuey. As I learn more about trail racing, there are going to be some great opportunities for adventure.

Seth Harrison wrote:Wow, what beautiful photos. That looks like a total blast.

The view was dizzying - literally - when I started getting up high on those mountains. And the post race atmosphere was great, too: beer, barbecue and a bluegrass band. I could get used to this. Wink

fostever wrote:Beautiful scenic race Mark, congrats on the finish! Yeah, maybe the frees not such a great idea, ha! I have some great Addidas trail shoes for that type of terrain and have only used them twice, would love to live closer to some areas like those.

Thanks! I'll have to add that shoe to my rapidly expanding "try on" list when I go out shopping for serious trail shoes. I'm still wearing the Frees on the easy ones, though.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Still drooling over those photos. Glad your approach to your recent training was carried through in your race. Looks like you had a good time Smile

It was a good time, though I was seriously hating downhills a lot in those last few miles. At that point, I would have rather climbed another 1,000 feet than go down another 200. Which still amazes me.

Matt W wrote:That course looks brutal, but stunningly beautiful. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in spite of the toughness of it all. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Matt! All in all, it was a good learning experience in amazing scenery and fabulous weather. (It helped that I didn't come in DFL.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:01 am

[iAs I learn more about trail racing, there are going to be some great opportunities for adventure.[/i]

Yep I agree 100% and there is no doubt you will enjoy every opportunity!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:26 am

Great job on a beautiful course, Mark! Now that's a trail run.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 am

Looks like a great place for a hike/jog. A race? Yeash. Definitely tough.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am

Interesting race Mark. I can see why your feet were sore. Parts of the course looks painful. They could have implanted razor blades in certain areas to make it a little tougher. I had to laugh when you say running downhill hurt and that you looked forward to going uphill. That's exactly how I feel about Boston.
Yes, I think you had the wrong shoes for this jagged course. Nice job though getting it done. The scenery is awesome.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks for the pics - what a gorgeous setting! That run looks scary to a flatlander! Good job.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Wow Mark - a different world, and it seems to have helped you get your running mojo back! Congrats.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down