365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do your non-runner family members know your PR?

+34
Ed
carleenp
mountandog
T Miller
Natalie
Jack_Scaff
Chris Coleman
Pete B
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
John Kilpatrick
Nick Morris
Mark B
Penelope
Stephanie
charles
dot520
Kevin L
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
Joel H
mul21
Diego
Bob
Tim M
Kenny B.
Schuey
Julie
JohnP
Dave-O
Chris M
Don S
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
38 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Do your non-runner family members know your PR?

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Vote_lcap13%Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Vote_lcap87%Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 27 ]

Total Votes : 31

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Empty Do your non-runner family members know your PR?

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:36 am

Here is a recent dinner table conservation in Jerry house:

Jerry: Nobody ever cares about me.
Wife: That's not true. Give us an example.
Jerry: I bet you don't know my marathon PR.
Daughter(9 years old): Oh, I know I know, 1:21.
Wife: That seems a little too fast. How do you know?
Daughter: I saw the time at the finish of Daddy's last race.
Wife: Isn't that a half marathon?
Daughter: Yeah. I think 2:21 then.
Jerry: 2:21? Who do you think your daddy is?
Wife: 3:23.
Jerry: That's not even enough for BQ.
Wife: Who cares. You are not going to run Beijing anyway.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Empty Re: Do your non-runner family members know your PR?

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am

Momma was off by about 10 seconds. Not too bad. "Three oh eight.... something"

Then: "At least I was there for both finishes" (in reference to my dad missing the first one because he was wandering around and thought I'd finish in 3:40, not 3:30... Derp)

EDIT: She's still justifying this... "You know what, though, when you crossed, it was 3:08 on the big clock... Wasn't it?" It was, Momma. It was.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Empty Re: Do your non-runner family members know your PR?

Post  Don S Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 am

My wife is closer than anyone, but still thinks I finish in "about 2 hours".
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:47 am

The actual time numbers? No way. They just know and remind me that I'm "slower than Dave, slower than Schuey..."
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 am

My parents, Britt and close friends know low 2:30's, and definitely know that I'm still shy of the 1:09 and 2:29 benchmarks.

My mom does have a propensity to overestimate my speed though. When I was a senior in high school and being recruited to play in college, she told a group of her friends that my 40 yard time was 4.2. She swore to it. They guys in the group familiar with 40 times thought that a 6'2" WR with a 40 time of 4.2 would be getting looks from the major D-1 schools, which I wasn't. Eh, she was only .6 seconds off....4.2, 4.8, no big difference, right?

Then last week she bet the Doc she works for - an avid athlete - that my racing shoes were less than an ounce. She lost.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:59 am

I doubt my wife knows the exact time but she knows it's not as fast as I want to go. She knows enough to have told me a few weeks ago that she knew how to make my life much simpler - "Go for a four hour marathon." Beyond her, no one knows my PR time.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Well I just asked my husband and he said "isn't it like 4:12" so pretty close, 4:11:13...
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:27 pm

My mom knows my marathon PR but not the other distances. Dad is knows that I marathon PR is under 2:50 but he knows my 5k PR time. My normally comes to all my marathons outside of not going to Boston this past year. Dad has been to a couple of Chicago Marathons but he does track me every year and will always look up my short race times. The rest of the family has no clue.

Lisa knows but she is a runner.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 pm

So I asked my wife here is her response

She said
Marathon - 3:50 actual 3:27
HM - 1:20 actual 1:36
10k - 24:00 actual 45:(old)
5 mile 20:00 actual 35:13
5k - 16:00 actual 20:23

scary. I asked if she knows who I am!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Non-running family is clearly a no!

Hell, my mom keeps asking how many miles the last marathon was and if the next one is longer.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Jerry's wife obviously got my marathon PR mixed up as his.

That's all I got to say about that.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Dave-O wrote:My parents, Britt and close friends know low 2:30's, and definitely know that I'm still shy of the 1:09 and 2:29 benchmarks.

My mom does have a propensity to overestimate my speed though. When I was a senior in high school and being recruited to play in college, she told a group of her friends that my 40 yard time was 4.2. She swore to it. They guys in the group familiar with 40 times thought that a 6'2" WR with a 40 time of 4.2 would be getting looks from the major D-1 schools, which I wasn't. Eh, she was only .6 seconds off....4.2, 4.8, no big difference, right?

Then last week she bet the Doc she works for - an avid athlete - that my racing shoes were less than an ounce. She lost.

Nice support for your wife, buddy! You should have said you ran barefoot and had her take you out to dinner with the winnings(even if it was just TB or McD's). Rolling Eyes

I'm not speedy, but I know my 40 time was better than 4.8. What gives? A foot of snow? Head wind? I bet if you ran a 40 now, you'd smoke that time because you're lighter and still quick.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Instead of asking your family to know your PR, put them in the car and drive the course with you. They'll either respect you more or think you're even crazier. Both work for me. lol!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:50 pm

jimd wrote:Instead of asking your family to know your PR, put them in the car and drive the course with you. They'll either respect you more or think you're even crazier. Both work for me. lol!

Not sure any respect it I think insane is the word they use which I take it for respect.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

My family respects my insanity. They have to, considering it's genetic!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:08 pm

mul21 wrote:My family respects my insanity. They have to, considering it's genetic!

+1....same here! lol! lol! lol!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Empty Family

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:22 pm

They did not care in college or high school, they do not care now...LOL...Not even wife cares. She states, just get it done....
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm

My husband and Mom both know that I ran a sub-3, and my Mom knows I ran 3:03 in Boston because it was on her 53rd birthday and we had a "3" party that day. I think my husband knows that my 10K PR is around 37 min and my Mom knows that I used to run consistently in the 38-39 min range for a 10K.

As for my daughter or anyone else, doubt they have any idea.

In addition, although my Mom will brag about my running, she will still tell me that my sister is(was) faster. Of course, my sister never even ran as fast as I did in high school and has not run a step since 1982.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

jimd wrote:
I'm not speedy, but I know my 40 time was better than 4.8. What gives? A foot of snow? Head wind? I bet if you ran a 40 now, you'd smoke that time because you're lighter and still quick.

That was my clocked time before senior year of high school, so I was stuck with it. I worked down to 4.6 flat (couldn't get that goddamn 4.59!) by senior year of college, but top end speed wasn't my thing. I was never the teams deep threat; I was the 205 pound over-the-middle possession receiver. Now? I actually don't think I'd break 5. My first few steps are so damn slow its ridiculous. My fast twitch muscles said hasta la vista.

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Footba10

Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Jerry wrote:Here is a recent dinner table conservation in Jerry house:

It's nice to know that Jerry starts a dinner conversation with "nobody ever cares about me".
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Dave-O wrote:
jimd wrote:

That was my clocked time before senior year of high school, so I was stuck with it. I worked down to 4.6 flat (couldn't get that goddamn 4.59!) by senior year of college, but top end speed wasn't my thing. I was never the teams deep threat; I was the 205 pound over-the-middle possession receiver. Now? I actually don't think I'd break 5. My first few steps are so damn slow its ridiculous. My fast twitch muscles said hasta la vista.

Do your non-runner family members know your PR? Footba10

What if I put a case of Dogfish Head IPA in front of you(and Soldier Field Artificial Turf)?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Kevin L wrote:

It's nice to know that Jerry starts a dinner conversation with "nobody ever cares about me".

Haha I went back and read the conversation after posting my response and, yeah, pretty damn funny way to start a conversation.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
Kevin L wrote:

Haha I went back and read the conversation after posting my response and, yeah, pretty damn funny way to start a conversation.

There were talks before that, but they were in Chinese and not running related. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:11 pm

You did make me laugh pretty hard, Jerry.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:03 pm

So, I'm sitting here reading these responses and I think....oh, Gene will definitely have some idea about the half since I just PR'd in May. As far as a marathon, he was support at so many disappointing fulls that he'll have a pretty good idea.

I lean over into the room that has the TV blaring some really awful movie and ask him:

me: Hey, Gene....do you know what my marathon and half marathon PRs are.
Gene: No

me: Well, do you know the half marathon, the one from the Indy Mini?

Gene: No

me: I mean, do you have an idea. You don't have to have the exact number but a range?

Gene: No.

me: What about the marathon...just approximately.

Gene: Well, I might be able to guess but if I'm off, that'd be embarrassing.

Sheesh! Not a clue. How could he not know some sort of idea?? He sits at the computer and tracks me in so many races. I tape a pacing band to the computer keyboard so he has an idea of goals. 10 years of racing....nothing.

Wow! Shocked
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next