365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make No Little Plans

+36
healdgator
Nick Morris
Sara Jane
Bob
wendy_miller
Gobbles
Alex Kubacki
Paula Sue
KBFitz
T Miller
Mrs. Schuey
JohnP
Julie
Dave P
GregC
Joel H
Mike MacLellan
Diego
mul21
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
Matt W
tom
Natalie
Mark B
Kenny B.
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Schuey
Jerry
Chris M
40 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Make No Little Plans - Page 5 Empty Re: Make No Little Plans

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Nice step-back week, Chris. I sent you an email about where I will be teaching and staying next week. I hope the 3 of us can get in another run and that the weather is quite a bit cooler. The run tuesday was great, thanks! Good luck with the race this weekend and stay away from the bananas!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Bleh. Ran a 5K tonight in pretty awful heat. It got to 103 during the day but was "down" to 95 or so by race time. I should have just backed off right from the start and done something hard but more tempo like. Instead, I went out at sub PR pace and ran a 5:45 first mile. It felt awful and things got much worse from there. I struggled to bring the next two in at slower than 6:30 HMP. I actually felt a little better by the end and rallied just slightly to sneak under 19 with an 18:58. But a full 30 seconds off PR and about the same amount off from a 5K I did on a tougher course last month. Bleh.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Chris M wrote:Bleh. Ran a 5K tonight in pretty awful heat. It got to 103 during the day but was "down" to 95 or so by race time. I should have just backed off right from the start and done something hard but more tempo like. Instead, I went out at sub PR pace and ran a 5:45 first mile. It felt awful and things got much worse from there. I struggled to bring the next two in at slower than 6:30 HMP. I actually felt a little better by the end and rallied just slightly to sneak under 19 with an 18:58. But a full 30 seconds off PR and about the same amount off from a 5K I did on a tougher course last month. Bleh.

Still not a bad 5k in the conditions Mr. Chris. I don't know if I can run that in good temps, just saying.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Schuey wrote:
Chris M wrote:Bleh. Ran a 5K tonight in pretty awful heat. It got to 103 during the day but was "down" to 95 or so by race time. I should have just backed off right from the start and done something hard but more tempo like. Instead, I went out at sub PR pace and ran a 5:45 first mile. It felt awful and things got much worse from there. I struggled to bring the next two in at slower than 6:30 HMP. I actually felt a little better by the end and rallied just slightly to sneak under 19 with an 18:58. But a full 30 seconds off PR and about the same amount off from a 5K I did on a tougher course last month. Bleh.

Still not a bad 5k in the conditions Mr. Chris. I don't know if I can run that in good temps, just saying.
The heat, and going out too fast, will do that to you. I wish I could run sub-19 in a 5K.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:01 pm

I chuckled at your mini-race report and the going out too fast theme. Still, that's a pretty good time for the weather, you probably would have PR'd in 30 degrees colder temps.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Chris, your run was incredible. I guess you expected better, but in that heat - holy smokes... I can't do that in the best of conditions anyway, but from where I'm sitting it was something to be proud of. South Africa? Sounds exciting....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Holy Smoke! That was a fast 5k in the heat.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 am

Tonight, I'm going into DC to meet up with Jim Lentz and Kevin Fitzgerald for run and a dinner. Should be fun. Goal this week is 84 miles. The biggies mileage wise are a fairly long run tomorrow (14) and then 20 on Sunday. Not sure logistically how I will do the Wednesday run. I think it makes the most sense to do it as a treadmill run in the evening. Saturday is a 10K right near my house. The course is the same W&OD paved trail section I run most days. Its not a particularly easy race because it will be HOT (6:30pm start time) and the out-and-back course is downhill 1st half/uphill 2nd half. Still, my 10K PR is a bit soft at 38:40 so I would like to sneak in a small PR if possible. Goal will be miles right around 6:10 and see how long I can hold it. If all goes well, I can get something in the low to mid 38s. If not, well, I've been there before!! The heat isn't going away so that will be a major factor again. Extended forecast is mid 90s for that evening so I really should just purge PR thoughts from my head and just run it hard but slower.

Last night, Cassidy had 4 friends sleep over. Jennifer was the hero and took all 5 of them to a Miranda Cosgrove (the iCarly girl) concert and then they slept over at our house. Luckily, I got to skip the concert! I can't imagine enduring that torture. I was at home and it was eeriely quite at around 10:30 when five 10 years olds got back home WIRED AND PUMPED! It was complete mayhem. They had a great time, stayed up too late of course and they were all dragging this morning. Cassidy is having a fantastic Summer but it is depressing to think that its already almost August and there just are not that many weeks left. Time flies.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 am

Funny about the Miranda Cosgrove concert, Chris. It seems like just yesterday (and it was actually 4 yrs ago?) that I took my daughter and a group of 8th grade friends to a Jonas Bros concert. The best part; however, was that Phillips Arena had a place for parents to go (so you were in the building) where you could have dinner, enjoy a drink, etc. with other parents so you did not have to sit through the concert itself.

I rather like going to her concerts now as she is 18 and her taste in music has matured greatly. We are actually going to the Maroon 5/Train concert at the end of August in Atlanta together - just Mom and daughter.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Now you guys are making me wonder if I ever put my parents through awful concerts... The only one I remember attending with my dad was Rage Against the Machine, and he really liked them, so maybe I wasn't too bad...

I like the race strategy for the 10k, too. The downhill miles will let your legs get comfortable at that pace without taxing the system too much, then the uphill will be like a 5k at just-slower-than-5k effort. Good luck!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Enjoy dinner tonight with Jim and Kevin. Send my regards!
Good luck in the upcoming 10k.
Five 10-year old girls sleeping over...I remember those days fondly...more fondly now that it's a distant memory!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Hmmmm, when I got home last night, we had three 18-19 year old boys, one 17 year old girl, two 15 year old girls and three 13 year old boys in the house. And I was sent off to pick up 5 pizzas to feed them all.

Things could be worse!

Of course, I didn't have to sit through a Miranda Cosgrove concert either, but I did watch a fair amount of the new Degrassi episode. If that hasn't come your way yet, get ready! Stuff is scary.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Now you guys are making me wonder if I ever put my parents through awful concerts... The only one I remember attending with my dad was Rage Against the Machine, and he really liked them, so maybe I wasn't too bad...

I like the race strategy for the 10k, too. The downhill miles will let your legs get comfortable at that pace without taxing the system too much, then the uphill will be like a 5k at just-slower-than-5k effort. Good luck!

Rage Against The Machine!?! Wow, your parents are way cooler than mine could ever have been. My first concert I ever attended was with indeed with my Mom. Billy Joel. That was about the speed we could handle. If you were my age, you would have gone with a parent to a Dead Kennedys or Black Flag show. Picturing either of my parents at a Rage Against The Machine show cracks me up.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Chris M wrote:
Rage Against The Machine!?! Wow, your parents are way cooler than mine could ever have been. My first concert I ever attended was with indeed with my Mom. Billy Joel. That was about the speed we could handle. If you were my age, you would have gone with a parent to a Dead Kennedys or Black Flag show. Picturing either of my parents at a Rage Against The Machine show cracks me up.

My folks took me to R.E.M. in junior high. I'm still a fan of them.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Hey Chris nothing wrong with a Billy Joel show, although I have never been to one.

I can your parents taking you to see R.E.M Dave.

For me it was smelling that fresh herb smell in the air and watching a bunch of crazy freaks spinning abounding and others with really big eyes and just smiling all night. I guess years later I understood more about that first Dead show experience. I'm luck in the fact that my parents took me to see a lot of good stuff growing up from the Allman Brothers Band, B.B. King, Little Feat and etc. etc.. Oh the good old days of growing up.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:46 pm

REM and Billy Joel would also be great shows to see. There was plenty of weed at RATM, as well.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:08 pm

I guess my mom must not have cared about me back in the day because we went to all kinds of concerts without our parents(and sneaked into others--Queen,Tom Petty, Aerosmith). Different times I s'pose.

My wife had to go with her friend and daughter to see Brittney at the MGM back around 2002. I'm glad I missed that one!!!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Schuey wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Hey Chris nothing wrong with a Billy Joel show, although I have never been to one.

Well, that's because Dave-O's parents are my age. I love R.E.M still myself. I remember my Mom let my best friend and I go to see Billy Joel at Boston Garden when we were Jrs in high school.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Schuey wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Oh Oh The Boston Garden!! Yeah I saw some kick ass Dead shows in that building and also saw a smoking Phish so there. I was so so sad when they tore that building done. Great Venue.

I've also seen R.E.M and still like them. One of my favorite albums by them was Murmur. "Talk About the Passion" love it.

Well, that's because Dave-O's parents are my age. I love R.E.M still myself. I remember my Mom let my best friend and I go to see Billy Joel at Boston Garden when we were Jrs in high school.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 pm

I went in to DC last night and met up with Jim Lentz and KB Fitz for a run. We did a trail run in Rock Creek Park. Nice run and we did cross paths with several of the local Ethopian sub-elites who use DC as their home base. Kevin took us back to his house post-run and then we went out for a Mexican/Salavordian dinner. Good times.

On the run, I was telling them about this Playmobil thing I'm stuck building. See, on Saturday night when it was super hot out, Cassidy and Jennifer were not going to run the 5K I was doing. But then we got down there and Jennifer got fired up to do it but Cassidy didn't want to run it so the bribe made it happen.....a "Playmobil School". Huh? I was just warming up to run the race and had no idea what had been agreed to. Well, it turns out Playmobil is some toy/doll set that Cassidy and her friends love and its a little like Fisher Price toys excecpt you have to BUILD every from scratch. I mean scratch. Every little tiny rivet, joiners between each beam, putting in tiny little sink faucets and on and on and on. There are literally thousands of tiny pieces just making up the building. Of course, I'm the one who is constructing the thing and tonight will be night #3 of this assembly nightmare. Here's what it should look like when its done although right now, I just have the bottom half of the structure itself done. ARGH!

Make No Little Plans - Page 5 023010-1__
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:53 pm

HaHa the shit you get yourself into over running cracks me up Chris. I'm sure sometime in the future I will be making the same crazy deals.

Oh have fun building your doll house tonight buddy! Basketball Basketball
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:59 pm

First Twilight dolls, now Playmobil dollhouses...WOW, you got screwed on that one!!! affraid

I had to put one of those together but it was an animal rescue center or zoo or something to do with animals...and it SUCKED! Took me a week to put it together.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 am

Father of the year!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:05 am

Playmobil has become that elaborate? I remember when I was a kid it was super basic, all structures pre-built, etc. Now it sounds like Legos from hell.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

I've got a living room full of playmobil kits that were all put together a million times. Fortunately, I never had to participate!

Its a lot of fun when you step on the little pieces barefoot in the dark...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next