365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make No Little Plans

+36
healdgator
Nick Morris
Sara Jane
Bob
wendy_miller
Gobbles
Alex Kubacki
Paula Sue
KBFitz
T Miller
Mrs. Schuey
JohnP
Julie
Dave P
GregC
Joel H
Mike MacLellan
Diego
mul21
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
Matt W
tom
Natalie
Mark B
Kenny B.
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Schuey
Jerry
Chris M
40 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Make No Little Plans - Page 16 Empty Re: Make No Little Plans

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 am

With all the excitement and no GPS signal at the start, how do you control the pace? Footpod? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:40 am

Jerry wrote:With all the excitement and no GPS signal at the start, how do you control the pace? Footpod? lol!

Let people like Jerry running out of control in front of you and then remind yourself that pace is t fast. Then catch people like Jerry at the 10k mark and then never see them again until we are enjoying a nice cold beer at the finish line! That's how.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 am

Schuey wrote:
Jerry wrote:With all the excitement and no GPS signal at the start, how do you control the pace? Footpod? lol!

Let people like Jerry running out of control in front of you and then remind yourself that pace is t fast. Then catch people like Jerry at the 10k mark and then never see them again until we are enjoying a nice cold beer at the finish line! That's how.

Do you have to use Jerry as example? That's just mean. scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:30 am

Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Hey, at least you made it to the finish. I only got as far as an industrial loft apartment on Taylor Street.

Schuey is scaring me with talk of going much under 2:59:59! Dude is going to drop me with a surge in Chinatown, isn't he? I just want the sub3.

I have mile repeats on tap for today. 3x1 HARD and I'm going to really try and step on it for them. Other workouts between now and race day are 8 with 4 tempo on Friday, a 12 mile GA Sunday and 8 with 4 at MP Wednesday of race week. Everything else is easy running and there is one day fully off next week too. No more doubles.

I don't feel the taper bounceback yet. Pretty much feel the same as before. But I know from experience that by this weekend and heading into next week, I'll start to feel fresh and restored. Right now, I still feel a bit sluggish.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 am

Change in plans. Just emailed you.

And I am laughing at picturing Schuey have to forcefully hold you back in the first half of the race.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:12 pm

3 x 1600 at the HS track today.

5:50, 5:48, 5:39

Felt good but I was definitely pushing it, particularly on that final repeat. There was more wind than I'm used to around here and of course I never felt it when I was running with it (the first half of each lap) but then I would come around the turn into the final 200 and feel it smack right into me.

I was happy to get these done during the day because now I don't have to go tonight and can watch my Red Sox starting at 7pm. Will they complete a decent season (90 wins already) and get into the playoffs? Or is this 1978 all over again and their epic collapse will continue with either being knocked out tonight or in a one game playoff tomorrow. As Cubs fans know even better than Sox fans now, you do start to think the worst as soon as your team starts having issues. I watched an interesting program on ESPN last night that was about scapegoats like Bill Buckner and Steve Bartman. Made me feel really bad for both those guys, particularly Bartman. But anyway, getting my workout in today at lunch means I am freed up to be a witness to the end of the Sox regular season and finding out whether there is a post-season for them this year.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Chris M wrote:

I watched an interesting program on ESPN last night that was about scapegoats like Bill Buckner and Steve Bartman. Made me feel really bad for both those guys, particularly Bartman. But anyway, getting my workout in today at lunch means I am freed up to be a witness to the end of the Sox regular season and finding out whether there is a post-season for them this year.

I debated whether I even wanted to subject myself to reliving that night. It wasn't easy. No sporting event has ever left me so devasted. I can rememeber the feeling of it going south so quickly like it was yesterday.

ESPN did a terrific job with it. The interviews with the security guards about getting Bartman out of the stadium were fantastic. The portion with the female security guard who sat with Steve as he watched the replays for the first time was chilling. I feel absolutely terrible for Bartman. I hope someday he'll have the retribution that Buckner had in 2007. Also, individuals far more responsible than Bartman:

1. Alou - sweet temper tantrum. How old are you? I'm convinced that his panic and tantrum set everything in motion. If he walks back calmly to left field, none of that happens.

2. Dusty - fuck your toothpick and your absolute inability to know when to pull a starting pitcher. 120 pitches? From a rookie with a career high in innings by 90? Sure, leave him in to face Pudge, Miggy and Lee.

3. Alex Gonzalez - this hurts because he was so cluth all year (led team in walk off hits) and led the NL in fielding percentage. Gotta make the play when it counts though.

4. Farnsworth - because I bet the drunk was out partying the night before. At least he didn't fall asleep in the bullpen.

5. Prior - yes, he should have been yanked, but still, keep your composure. He went from unhittable that night to leaving meatballs over the plate.

Goddamn now I'm all worked up again. Just thinking about that inning causes me to lose all rationality.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Chris M wrote: As Cubs fans know even better than Sox fans now, you do start to think the worst as soon as your team starts having issues. I watched an interesting program on ESPN last night that was about scapegoats like Bill Buckner and Steve Bartman. Made me feel really bad for both those guys, particularly Bartman. But anyway, getting my workout in today at lunch means I am freed up to be a witness to the end of the Sox regular season and finding out whether there is a post-season for them this year.

Come on Chris that type of thinking should have went out the window 7 years ago or at worst 4 years ago. With 2 titles in 7 years that thinking should be for the pink hats, not any real Sox fan. Just my opinion, but really.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Chris M wrote:

I watched an interesting program on ESPN last night that was about scapegoats like Bill Buckner and Steve Bartman. Made me feel really bad for both those guys, particularly Bartman. But anyway, getting my workout in today at lunch means I am freed up to be a witness to the end of the Sox regular season and finding out whether there is a post-season for them this year.

I debated whether I even wanted to subject myself to reliving that night. It wasn't easy. No sporting event has ever left me so devasted. I can rememeber the feeling of it going south so quickly like it was yesterday.

ESPN did a terrific job with it. The interviews with the security guards about getting Bartman out of the stadium were fantastic. The portion with the female security guard who sat with Steve as he watched the replays for the first time was chilling. I feel absolutely terrible for Bartman. I hope someday he'll have the retribution that Buckner had in 2007. Also, individuals far more responsible than Bartman:

1. Alou - sweet temper tantrum. How old are you? I'm convinced that his panic and tantrum set everything in motion. If he walks back calmly to left field, none of that happens.

2. Dusty - fuck your toothpick and your absolute inability to know when to pull a starting pitcher. 120 pitches? From a rookie with a career high in innings by 90? Sure, leave him in to face Pudge, Miggy and Lee.

3. Alex Gonzalez - this hurts because he was so cluth all year (led team in walk off hits) and led the NL in fielding percentage. Gotta make the play when it counts though.

4. Farnsworth - because I bet the drunk was out partying the night before. At least he didn't fall asleep in the bullpen.

5. Prior - yes, he should have been yanked, but still, keep your composure. He went from unhittable that night to leaving meatballs over the plate.

Goddamn now I'm all worked up again. Just thinking about that inning causes me to lose all rationality.

Yeah, I blame the manager and the shortstop. Prior pitched his a$$ off. Baker ruined his career(too many innings too soon.) You have to take a tiring pitcher out as soon as a late inning error is made and the tying runs come to the plate.

Did they mention Donny Moore? Thanks to that homerun in game 5 when the Halo's were one strike away from stomping on the Mets in the World Series(Geeze, they matched up well with them) and giving Gene Autry his first World Series, he gives up a home run to a guy who had played on 3-4 teams before the Sox(Dave Henderson). Then he commits suicide. Way worse than Buckner's error.

Actually, the Red Sox' collapse in 1978 and Bucky Dent's Home Run to finish them off was probably worse than Buckner's error.

I'm just glad I'm not a Cleveland Brown's fan--Brian Sipe against the Raiders, losses to Denver twice on fatal plays/drives.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Chris M wrote:I have mile repeats on tap for today. 3x1 HARD and I'm going to really try and step on it for them. Other workouts between now and race day are 8 with 4 tempo on Friday, a 12 mile GA Sunday and 8 with 4 at MP Wednesday of race week. Everything else is easy running and there is one day fully off next week too. No more doubles.

I don't feel the taper bounceback yet. Pretty much feel the same as before. But I know from experience that by this weekend and heading into next week, I'll start to feel fresh and restored. Right now, I still feel a bit sluggish.

You're doing fantastic with your training! Does it really matter how you feel now anyway? What really matters is how you feel the morning of the 9th! I don't understand it all yet, but it seems to me with the work that you've put in that it would be totally natural to not feel bouncy yet! I'm rooting for you - 10 days and some change!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Hey, at least you made it to the finish. I only got as far as an industrial loft apartment on Taylor Street.

It was a F not to PR that day. There is no F-.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Chris M wrote:I have mile repeats on tap for today. 3x1 HARD and I'm going to really try and step on it for them. Other workouts between now and race day are 8 with 4 tempo on Friday, a 12 mile GA Sunday and 8 with 4 at MP Wednesday of race week. Everything else is easy running and there is one day fully off next week too. No more doubles.

You're doing fantastic with your training! Does it really matter how you feel now anyway? What really matters is how you feel the morning of the 9th! I don't understand it all yet, but it seems to me with the work that you've put in that it would be totally natural to not feel bouncy yet! I'm rooting for you - 10 days and some change!

What John said.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 am

What a painful night of baseball for me. At one point, the Yanks were up 7-0 on the Rays and the Sox-Orioles went into a rain delay with the Sox up 3-2. Then all hell broke loose. The Rays come back and tie it (thanks, Yankees) and once the Sox-O's game resumes, the Sox closer (Papelbon) blows it and the O's come back to win it. The Red Sox could STILL be alive in the Yanks won in extra innings but nope, Longoria hits a walk off HR in extra innings. Red Sox season over. Ugh. What a collapse. Atlanta and the Red Sox were locked in with playoff berths and a huge lead and last night both teams completed a giant fall that has been such a train wreck. I'm bummed because at times this season, this Sox team looked like the type that could really do some damage in the playoffs. I love their lineup. Pitching killed them. Starting pitching certainly although last night Papelbon let them down. Sigh. Season over. On to football 100% now.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:41 am

Chris M wrote:What a painful night of baseball for me. At one point, the Yanks were up 7-0 on the Rays and the Sox-Orioles went into a rain delay with the Sox up 3-2. Then all hell broke loose. The Rays come back and tie it (thanks, Yankees) and once the Sox-O's game resumes, the Sox closer (Papelbon) blows it and the O's come back to win it. The Red Sox could STILL be alive in the Yanks won in extra innings but nope, Longoria hits a walk off HR in extra innings. Red Sox season over. Ugh. What a collapse. Atlanta and the Red Sox were locked in with playoff berths and a huge lead and last night both teams completed a giant fall that has been such a train wreck. I'm bummed because at times this season, this Sox team looked like the type that could really do some damage in the playoffs. I love their lineup. Pitching killed them. Starting pitching certainly although last night Papelbon let them down. Sigh. Season over. On to football 100% now.

Before we put this puppy to bed, is Crawford worth the money? What a lazy attempt in the 9th. I remember reading that no team had ever made the playoffs when they had been 10 games under 500 at the end of April(or something like that). I guess that streak is intact.

Ok, on to football. Does McFadden get 100 yards and 2TDs against the Pats and do you sell CJ2K now or wait? Why is he not getting the carries?

Last edited by Diego on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

*Raises Hand!*

Diego wrote:

Before we put this puppy to bed, is Crawford with the money?

Maybe not worth the contract, but I think he'll bounce back next year. Would have fit in their better on your Angels though. The better question is who's better over next three seasons - Crawford or Flash Jennings?

Diego wrote:
Ok, on to football. Does McFadden get 100 yards and 2TDs against the Pats and do you sell CJ2K now or wait? Why is he not getting the carries?

Yes on McFadden. Pats D is not good. Though Belicheck may game plan to take Run-DMC out of the game.

2 more weeks on CJ2K. He's still in pre-season condition. Losing Britt hurts though. /tear.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Dave-O wrote:*Raises Hand!*

Diego wrote:

Before we put this puppy to bed, is Crawford with the money?

Maybe not worth the contract, but I think he'll bounce back next year. Would have fit in their better on your Angels though. The better question is who's better over next three seasons - Crawford or Flash Jennings?

Diego wrote:

Yes on McFadden. Pats D is not good. Though Belicheck may game plan to take Run-DMC out of the game.

2 more weeks on CJ2K. He's still in pre-season condition. Losing Britt hurts though. /tear.

Yes, on Britt. Sad

Yeah, I think the Patriots may run out to an early lead 21-0 after the first quarter, which may limit the carries. I still don't understand ESPN's TV Fantasy Leaderboard that had receivers and I think one running back with more points than Brady after the second week. I guess they must not reward yards passed. Brady was 4th or 5th despite 400 yards and 4 TD's.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Chris M wrote:3 x 1600 at the HS track today.

So before Chris posted the results of this workout, I challenged myself to run mine 3:00 faster than Chris. With these splits, I don't think I have a chance Last year I ran 4:49, 4:50, and 4:47, meaning I would have lost by 9 seconds. I'm not sure I can improve upon last year's.

But, I'm feeling good and will see what I got.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Dave-O wrote:

So before Chris posted the results of this workout, I challenged myself to run mine 3:00 faster than Chris. With these splits, I don't think I have a chance Last year I ran 4:49, 4:50, and 4:47, meaning I would have lost by 9 seconds. I'm not sure I can improve upon last year's.

Chris wins. 4:54, 4:52, 4:53. I'll take it.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:15 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

Chris wins. 4:54, 4:52, 4:53. I'll take it.

Nice job, both of you.

Yikes! If the weather winds up being 55-60/ 10-14mph wind at the start like I just saw on a few sites, are both of you going to risk it? Now that I no longer have the heat and humidity of TN, I can't race a marathon well in that. I'm going to pray for all Chicago runners that this forecast changes. I'm tired of the heat putting a damper on a great race. pale
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm trying to avoid really thinking about the weather until we are less than a week out. If it does end up looking like it was last year, I think I should bail on a sub3 attempt, run a PR and then reload and go for a November marathon. But I'm not going to delve into that line of thinking/planning until I see stuff less than a week out saying it will be in the 70s again.

On a more positive note, I am definitely feeling the good effects of taper now. A couple of good nights of sleep helped and the mile repeats didn't leave me sore at all. I feel ready to go NOW and I'll only feel better over the next week+ with the reduced mileage coming up. All systems go at the moment.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Just so it's public - Chris had an off day tomorrow. No miles.

And yes, no worries about weather until mid next week.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:08 pm

Good to see you feeling well and letting taper only get you stronger, rather than needing it for healing. I too am not looking at the weather much but will starting Sunday. My first backup plan already closed (Detroit). I ran a very solid PR for me at the FLying Pig a few years ago when it was 55 degrees at the start so hopefully it will be cooler than that to still go for it.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:59 am

Dave-O wrote:Just so it's public - Chris had an off day tomorrow. No miles.

And yes, no worries about weather until mid next week.

Wooo hooo! Day off today. I did go to the gym this morning for one of the personal trainer sessions. Core work really. Have another one Monday but then I won't go next Friday so close to the race. But definitely no running today.

I am going to do my final longish run (12 miles) tomorrow instead of Sunday just because that's when it fits best schedule-wise. So here's how my days look between now and Chicago:

Today: no running; 60 mins PT

Saturday: 12 miles; some kind of fast finish; at least some at MP at the end - will play that part a bit by ear

Sunday: 4 easy

Monday: 60 mins PT; 4 easy

Tuesday: 6 easy with strides

Wednesday: 8 with 4 at MP (my "dress rehersal")

Thursday: 6 easy

Friday: OFF DAY

Saturday: travel to Chicago and 4 easy - might do the 4 before flying - either that or right as I get there

Sunday: race day
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:46 am

I bet the day off will feel good.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:43 pm

12 in the rain and chill (48 degrees) today. Went real slow and easy on the way out and then 6 at 6:45 on the way back in. I feel the taper effects big time. Easy turnover and strong feeling in my legs. It does now look like Jennifer and Cassidy are NOT coming to Chicago with me. Dog sitting issues. Our family that would watch them is not around and/or the logistics are a problem. Of course we already bought plane tickets so that's a pain. I'm bummed they won't be there.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next