365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Make No Little Plans

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Make No Little Plans

Post  Chris M on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 am

Here's my race in Chicago in pictures. As you can see, it was Schuey Da Bull right there with me when we were crusing along just fine, checking his watch saying "ok, buddy, stay on this 6:50 pace", getting a little tough to hold pace in Chinatown, BOOM!! I'm walking and that's MILES from the finish. UGH, that picture should go on my wall above my desk. Nothing sums up the marathon experiences I've had like that one. And there's Schuey with his arm around me as I've completely bonked there at 23 or so. What a great guy. I don't know how I could have gotten through Sunday without Schuey. It was just one of those days - like some other marathons I've had - where nothing was going right. But what a difference to have a close friend right there with you working through it. My race result sucked comapred to what I was shooting for and know I can run. But I still have Sunday down as a good memory because Schuey helped me battle out there to the finish. I'm really looking forward to him coming here to the DC area next month for the JFK 50. Mostly just to hang with him, Lisa, Hana and Schuey's Mom but also to do what I can to support Schuey in his race effort like he supported me in mine. I've never been involved in any way with an ultra so I want to see what I can do to help as a pacer, as crew, as a logistics helper. As for me and running....haven't done any! But I am running tomorrow. There is a team of 4 of us signed up for the Baltimore Marathon relay. I have a 7.2 mile leg. I have no idea how I will do. I'm the last leg so I'll have some time to get out there, jog a bit and get warmed up. My sort of plan was to use that first mile to see if I am more or less recovered and able to do any decent turnover. Not racing that first mile, just testing. Depending on how that goes, I'll try and then do a 10K tempo to end. Might only be 6:45 pace (goal MP), might be something under HMP (6:25). We'll see. All I've done since Sunday is eat and not run so my expecations are not too high. I had MASSIVE soreness for the first couple of days. Yesterday (Thursday) was the first day I sort of felt normal soreness and today I pretty much feel back to what I usually feel like.

Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

That second to last one is hilarious!
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 am

Hey, at least you passed that shirtless kid with bib 644! Nice shots. The last 2 could probably stand in place of an entire race report.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 am

JohnP wrote:That second to last one is hilarious!

+1
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Hey, at least you passed that shirtless kid with bib 644! Nice shots. The last 2 could probably stand in place of an entire race report.

Sigh. I had to go look. He definitely got us back. 23 year old Ryan S. finished in 3:04:02. Bastard probably laughed as he passed the two old men walking along in the final 10k. I know I would have laughed at him had the situation been reversed!
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:11 am

Chris M wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Hey, at least you passed that shirtless kid with bib 644! Nice shots. The last 2 could probably stand in place of an entire race report.

Sigh. I had to go look. He definitely got us back. 23 year old Ryan S. finished in 3:04:02. Bastard probably laughed as he passed the two old men walking along in the final 10k. I know I would have laughed at him had the situation been reversed!

booger. I hate looking back at finishing times. There was a nice man who was running with the same pace group as I was in Lincoln for a 4:05 and he dropped back in some pain around mile 9. He finished in 5:20 or something. I felt really badly for him.

Nice photos, though! It sounds like you had a great encourager in Schuey!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Tough race--that's what both of your faces show. Schuey, as he pats you on the back, has a look like you just gave up a homerun in the 9th inning of the 7th game of the WS.

Thanks for sharing them, Chris. You look pretty warm.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Sorry again about the day, but hats off to both of you. The pictures aren't bad at all except you are certainly pretty darn wet!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Those photos - especially the second to last - are keepers. That one with Schuey with arm around you needs to go on a wall somewhere. That's friendship.

I think it's fantastic that you're going to return the favor and be there for Schuey when he tackles his first 50-miler. Who knows? Maybe you'll discover your perfect distance is an ultra! (Stop laughing. Stranger things have happened.)
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:24 pm

The second to last one is funny to us because most of us have had that same moment in our marathons. I know I have numerous times!
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 am

I'll close this blog down soon. I haven't made up my mind about any future marathons and/what I'll be targetting at those. Right now, I'm leaning against doing anything before Boston.

I'm not recovering particularly well from Chicago. Doesn't help that I have a bit of a cold that I'm trying to shake.

I did run a 7.2 mile leg in the Baltimore Marathon as part of a relay team on Saturday. Fun event and I was just out there to have a good time and see how the legs felt. They felt pretty dead. Warming up, I suspected that I would be fine endurance wise but that there was no turnover or pop there. That was definitely the case. I pretty much settled in right at 6:30 pace and that was very comfortable but I wasn't able to go any faster. There was a downhill section late and by all rights I should have easily been able to access sub 6:00 pace there but I think I was at 6:25. I felt like I could run for a long time at that 6:30 pace but getting down to true 10k to HMP pace wasn't happening on my super fatigued legs. So it ended up being a 7.2 mile run done over HMP and below MP. Good, not great. I'm certainly not ready for real racing.

Looking further out, I am going to do a 10K on November 13th. I'll start pointing to that with some workouts and try and PR there. But for the most part I'll spend the next few months doing shorter distance running and taking a break from 15+ mile runs and doubles.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 am

Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the mental grind of marathon training. I hope chasing some shorter races refreshes you and helps you start your Boston training with the mental edge you need for a great training cycle and brings you to the starting line in Hopkinton ready for the race of your life.

Take the time to recover well and good luck once real training resumes. Have a great week.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:44 pm

More pictures, these from Saturday at the Baltimore Marathon. The pictures pretty much confirm how I felt out there....running it as a 7.2 mile tempo between HMP and MP (6:30) and most definitely NOT as a rip-your-face-off 10K paced (6:10) max effort. I was pretty comfortable and clearly not killing it. I'm simply nowhere near recovered from the debacle in Chicago so this was just a nice run on a nice day. My buddy Jason and his girlfriend Holly are my teammates in the picture and my other teammate was my friend Scott who had to take off right after he finished his leg. The Baltimore Marathon is a fun event but definitely NOT recommended for someone looking to run a fast marathon. VERY HILLY.

Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 pm

The Chicago pictures are telling. Your shorts are soaked well before those around you, confirming that you were just too hot to stay on pace. And though it was a bad day, the last few tell me that you battled to the end.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:47 pm

You look a lot happier in the relay pictures. Maybe you should wear adidas and not Nike for your marathons. Wink

You can tell you aren't ready to blast out supersonic paces in the new pictures, but its good to see that you are still able to get out there and enjoy a nice day for running. I hope you feel better each day as you continue to recover and decide what to do next.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Tough day today in the McKee family. Our beloved black lab, Mulligan, died last night. Although she was 15 and 1/2 (108 years old in people years!) it still came as a surprise as she was doing well and I had walked her that morning and she was her normal happy self. But she went peacefully in her sleep and that's not a bad way to go at all after such a long and great life.

She was our first baby we had together. Jennifer and I got her before we were married and years before we had Cassidy. We got her from the lab rescue organization as her and her littermates had just been abandonned by the side of the road somewhere in Maryland. Seems like only yesterday to me that we picked her up and decided to name her "Mulligan" (golfers know that means a second chance or do over) on the ride back home. She was so tiny and timid at first but it sure didn't take long for her to completely be comfortable with her family. For her first decade plus, she was very close buddies with my golden retriever Colby who we lost a few years ago and then later in her life she helped us try and control and take care of Juliet, our 2 year old golden we still have. There's a pciture below of Juliet curled up next to Mulligan. I'll have to go searching for some early pics of Mulligan because these ones below are all from the last few years.

Just in the last year of her life, she took to sleeping in Cassidy's room every night and she had a special chair and corner that was her spot. Mulligan really was the ultimate "people dog". Her sole mission was to be wherever her people were. She didn't really care if that was outside, inside, in a car, swimming, or just doing nothing. She was 100% content if she was curled up nearby her family and that was pretty much all she needed in life.

There's always something so uplifting about having your dog sooo happy to see you when you come home. They don't care if you had a tough day, that you battled bad traffic, got caught in a rain storm, had a bad race, you are annoyed about a work thing, you are fighting a cold, you were gone for 2 hours or a whole weekend or whatever else is going on in life....they just wag like crazy and everything does seem a little better right then, even if it was perfectly good before. Dogs like Mulligan are an instant mood lift every moment of their existence. We'lll miss Mulligan terribly and it was awfully tough to come home just now and not have her there to greet me.

Rest In Peace, Mulligan 1996-2011

Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm so sorry Chris. I am feeling Deja Vu, with the recent death this summer of our second husky-- at age 14. I just pray that there really is a dog heaven where they play and we someday have a chance to play catch with them again(and don't have to cleanup after them.)Sad

Last edited by Diego on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Sorry for the loss Chris. I only got to hang out with Mulligan once but she was great. I'm glad you got one last walk with her.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Sorry for your family's loss, Chris. It's tough when companions who have been around so long leave you behind.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I saw a picture of you and Mulligan on FB and wondered if this was the case, but hoped not. I know what you mean about having a dog waiting for you to come home and how excited they are. It's been a lot nicer since I got Roxi. Dogs are special parts of the family.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Mark B wrote:Those photos - especially the second to last - are keepers. That one with Schuey with arm around you needs to go on a wall somewhere. That's friendship.

I think it's fantastic that you're going to return the favor and be there for Schuey when he tackles his first 50-miler. Who knows? Maybe you'll discover your perfect distance is an ultra! (Stop laughing. Stranger things have happened.)

+1

Sorry about your dog, that is a bummer.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Sorry for your loss, Chris. I saw the picture on FB and wondered what it was but now it makes sense. Really nice pictures.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 am

So sorry to hear about Mulligan, but glad it was a peaceful end. We lost both of our dogs in the last year (16 and 15 years old) so I know how hard it is. Best to you and the family.
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 am

RIP Mulligan.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear about Mulligan, and contrary to Jim's wish - there is indeed a dog heaven and they do all have a great time while they wait for us to join them in the distant future.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top