365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you like best?

+22
KathyK
Paula Sue
Matt W
Dave Wolfe
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Sam from RonItch!
Kenny B.
Jerry
Pete B
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Admin
mul21
Peg Coover
Dave-O
charles
Michael Mitchell
Schuey
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do you like best? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you like best?

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:33 am

Paula Sue wrote:Benefitial for me: Intervals

What I like (love): LSD...the longer the better

What I miss the most...running. Hoping I will be able to get back at it soon.

I hope you get back to running again soon also Paula Sue, never no fun when one can't run when one wants to run.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:53 am

Schuey wrote:
Matt W wrote:
Chris M wrote:
dot520 wrote:LSD, especially for the half marathon distance where you do a lot of 10-14 mile long runs. More and more I'm enjoying the speed intervals (not the hill intervals) that I get to do alternating weeks. Sprinting comes naturally for me as does trudging.
Dot reminded me....put "hill work" at dead last for me on any list of "likes". Yeah, I know they are great for you but I find longish hill sprints to be absolutely brutal. I hate that I'm not actually going all that fast and yet my lungs and legs are being ripped in half. Whether its MP for 0.5 at 5% on the mill or the outdoor hills, I hate doing sprints up those things.

What do you mean by "longish hill sprints?" Hill sprints are short and explosive aren't they? I thought 8-15 seconds, max, then slow jog down the hill and repeat. Hill repeats aren't really sprints, but controlled hard efforts like tempos runs (maybe a little harder depending on the hill and distance). I don't think you should really worry too much about speed when going uphill compared to running on the flat. Maybe you could compare it to another time you ran up the same hill. When I do hills I try to focus more on form and effort.

Maybe one of us is doing the hill work the wrong way. Wink

+1 Good explanation of the difference of those two workouts Matt. Not that I really do either one of them but maybe someday I will or should. I really have to stop being so lazy afro

Good point.....I guess I hate "Hill Repeats" and "Hill Sprints" are hard but over so fast, I don't really mind them as much. But one workout I do is 0.5 miles on the mill at 5% incline. Pace is goal MP. An 800 done at MP sounds so simple. I mean, usually 800s are done at my 5K pace or faster. But that 5% incline?! Yeeeeeooowwwwtch. Those go by sooo slowly and are so painful. 6-8 of those 0.5 mile hill repeats and I'm toast. Hate em. Good for me but so is asparagus. Doesn't mean I have to like them.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am

I like the long run the best.
I dislike hill repeats.
But honestly, right now I'm nursing a gimpy calf and an angry knee, and I'd love to just be able to jog up the driveway. I MISS running, ANY kind of running. EVEN hill repeats.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:29 pm

KathyK wrote:I like the long run the best.
I dislike hill repeats.
But honestly, right now I'm nursing a gimpy calf and an angry knee, and I'd love to just be able to jog up the driveway. I MISS running, ANY kind of running. EVEN hill repeats.

Well darn that is not good to read. I hope that darn calf and knee start playing nice for you.

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Recovery runs with my doggie so we can stop for a sniff and swim with no timetable and runs with Schuey, those too!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 am

fostever wrote:Recovery runs with my doggie so we can stop for a sniff and swim with no timetable and runs with Schuey, those too!

Well Steve I enjoy those runs with you also and can't forget to add Lisa and then drinking wine tell midnight along with some great conversion.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Can I suggest Number 9? Drinking beer while running your long run. Adds immensely to the enjoyment. clown

My least favorite is long intervals like 4x 2k repeats at 8-10k pace with 1 minute rests. Yuck!! But they work, even though death swiftly arrives on number 4.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd have to say long runs. Especially when you have someone to run them with.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbarryfreedman Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:53 pm

I like the race days best, especially those that are in a middle of a cycle. A half marathon race in the middle of a marathon cycle is the best--you are checking your training and have no pressure--just go out and enjoy the atmosphere.
Stephen
stephenbarryfreedman
stephenbarryfreedman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum