365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report

+10
Chris M
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
John Kilpatrick
Peg Coover
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
mountandog
14 posters

Go down

Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report Empty Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report

Post  mountandog Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:38 pm

If you've got nothing else to do on a Labor Day weekend Saturday - this is a wonderful little marathon. First off it's thirty miles N of Charlevoix, MI in the middle of Lake Michigan. A small town, a couple of pubs and that's about it. You take a two hour ferry or a 30 minute puddle jumper. Since I had most of the family (7 out of eight) the ferry was the way to go. Everybody wins an AG more or less. Not enough runners to push you too far down in the standings.

The course itself is nice, a double looper. A mixture of dirt roads and pavement, gentle hills. Should be fast. You run along Lake Michigan several times and run through a lot of tree covered roads. Really pretty. Now to the race.

After arriving Fri morning and getting settled in with some friends who have a cottage on the North shore, we woke up Saturday to wind and rain. Hey, the forecast was for 64 degrees and no rain!! Huh? What happened? Anyway my daughter and I made the 120 second trip from the cottage to the starting line 10 minutes before to avoid getting soaked. The race went off on time and luckily most of the rain backed off. The temp was mid 60s most of the race, but the dirt roads were a mess. You couldn't easily run tangents because you were constantly adjusting. Such is life.

I earlier posted my concern about running a small race with no support, but I was lucky enough to run into another competitor running the same pace and we ran together through about mile 15. So that made the time go by a bit quicker. They also start the half two hours later so you get to see them head on when you are running your last 7 and they all offered support, nice. Was I avoided the iPOD, but I certainly considered it. My goal was 3:08, but anything under 3:12 would have been fine. I backed off my training by abut 25% since Boston, motivation reasons, needing a bit of a break. I obviously ran well enough to record a 4 min PR of 3:08:00. Right on the button. I hit the 1/2 in about 1:33 so I did have some degradation in my pace over the last 5 miles, so I still have some work to do. But it was muddy. But the coolness of the rain and overcast made the rest of it just fine.

My biggest concern was my daughter who had a 3:35 objective to improve her BQ. As it's a double loop I had a chance to see her a couple of times. She was leading the women's race until 19.5 --yup. Bingo - cramps in her thigh somewhere. First time for her hitting any type of wall. It was really hard to pass her as she had just hit the wall and was walking and kind of teary and all, but there wasn't much I could do at that point. It's tough to watch one of your offspring in such obvious pain. She walked/ran to a 3:44 and finished by running, so all in all a tough run. Hopefully her BQ -30 seconds holds up, but unlikely in the new format.

I finished 5th overall, 2nd master and 1st AG. Daughter finished 4th overall. As a bonus my eldest son finished 2nd in the 1/2 in 1:32:50, his first half ever. He got smoked by a 15 yr old though. That was kinda cool (he's 23).

So I added a few more points to the Steamrollers and am thinking about doing Detroit (my hometown) in Oct. I've always spaced my marathons by 5-6 months so I'm still not so sure.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/16818757/8]Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report P1060212
[/url]

Last edited by mountandog on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : rotate picture)
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report Empty Re: Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report

Post  Nick Morris Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Nice race!!! Even though you are on the other team...I am glad things worked out for you as I know that you were worried about the small field size. It sounds like the whole family did pretty well!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report Empty Re: Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Very nice job on the race. It sounds like an interesting race in an interesting place.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Your kids are sooo good looking! The only thing wrong with that picture is no one is holding a beer!!!

Wow--Congrats to all. You are a fast and competitive family!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 pm

[quote="Peg Coover"]Your kids are sooo good looking! The only thing wrong with that picture is no one is holding a beer!!!

Wow--Congrats to all. You are a fast and competitive family!![/quote

I will fix the beer problem when i download all my pics. The AG awards were pint beer glasses and i took the opportunity. The island has an Irish heritage afterall.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Great run - bummer about the cramping thing, but nothing to be ashamed about in her time - stuff happens... You have some great running genes going there! Running on muddy trails, a PR and a 3:08 are amazing. My Mother moved a while ago from next to Little Traverse Lake (near Maple City) and that would of been a great excuse to visit and run what sounds like a neat race.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 am

Nice job and congrats to your kids, too. I bet that was really hard to pass your daughter like that, but hopefully she wasn't too disheartened by it. Does she have another race planned? I guess it doesn't matter too much since registration is in a few weeks?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 am

Congrats on an excellent run for all of you. Sorry to hear about your daughter's cramping issue, but she will figure it out. I stated running marathons when I was her age and had similar issues back then. I never really nailed the solution back then, but we are here to help. Hope her time holds up for Boston so that I see you all there.

By the way, Detroit is a decent race - just big enough - and with the exception of possible wind on the island, it it flat and pretty fast as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 am

Congrats on the race by the family. Too bad about the cramping. Hopefully she'll get it dialed in.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 pm

This is a strong family relay team!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 pm

3 minute PR, right? You sure made it sound easy. Great job. Congrats to both your kids....even the Bowdoin one.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Congrats to your whole family. I think you even beat Chris M's PR and made it sound easy. Oh wait, he's on our team. Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:40 am

T Miller wrote:Congrats to your whole family. I think you even beat Chris M's PR and made it sound easy. Oh wait, he's on our team. Smile

I will have my vengeance in this life or the next. Plus, I can't have a father of a Polar Bear be faster than a Mule.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 am

Chris M wrote:
T Miller wrote:Congrats to your whole family. I think you even beat Chris M's PR and made it sound easy. Oh wait, he's on our team. Smile

I will have my vengeance in this life or the next. Plus, I can't have a father of a Polar Bear be faster than a Mule.

Considering you're going sub 3:00 in 4 and a half weeks, I think you're good!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 am

Your son is hot Beaver Island, MI Marathon Race Report 424776184

Great job to all of you!!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:20 pm

great job for the whole family awesome!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down