365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones

+10
Mrs. Schuey
Tim M
stephenbarryfreedman
Natalie
Jay
Kenny B.
Chris M
Schuey
Admin
Dave-O
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones Empty Game of Thrones

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Anyone watching it? I'm late - through 3 episodes so far - but I'm hooked. HBO does it again!

Please no spoilers. I'll be caught up soon.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones Empty Re: Game of Thrones

Post  Admin Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:54 am

Never heard of it! I'm so sheltered... What a Face

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 am

Mr MattM wrote:Never heard of it! I'm so sheltered... What a Face

I haven't heard of it either but then again I don't have HBO. I guess I will have to hope they come out with it on DVD.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 am

My brother and my brother-in-law have both been hyping Game of Thrones so I've been meaning to check it out. Problem is that I usually only get through these shows when I'm on the mill and with the warm temps and it staying light so late, I'm running outside all the time now. But I heard it is a great show.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 am

Chris M wrote:My brother and my brother-in-law have both been hyping Game of Thrones so I've been meaning to check it out. Problem is that I usually only get through these shows when I'm on the mill and with the warm temps and it staying light so late, I'm running outside all the time now. But I heard it is a great show.

Chris you run outside? Why I would have never guessed that, I thought your coach demanded you just run on the mill! afro
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Dave-O wrote:Anyone watching it? I'm late - through 3 episodes so far - but I'm hooked. HBO does it again!

Love it! Missed last weekends but DVR'd it. Took a good 3 episodes to get going.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:24 pm

This show is fantastic. Gorry but no different then other HBO series. I am current so will say nothing but get ready for a some hardcore twists in the story line. The Lanesters are such bastards!

Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Jay wrote:This show is fantastic. Gorry but no different then other HBO series. I am current so will say nothing but get ready for a some hardcore twists in the story line. The Lanesters are such bastards!

I've been told that last week's episode brought a major plot twist. I should be caught up by Sunday.

Has it been signed for Season 2 yet?
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 pm

It was signed for season 2 right after the second episode aired.

Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Spartacus is better but this is growing on me.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 pm

I've seen this show a couple of times. Parts of it. Interesting. I don't know which parts you've seen, but I thought of you Dave when it came on last night.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbarryfreedman Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Dave-O wrote:Anyone watching it? I'm late - through 3 episodes so far - but I'm hooked. HBO does it again!

Dave, you should read the books--I love the TV drama but the books give you so much more behind the story.

BTW--nice job here!
stephenbarryfreedman
stephenbarryfreedman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 am

I'll all caught up. Wow. Those fucking Lannisters.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:37 pm

stephenbarryfreedman wrote:

Dave, you should read the books--I love the TV drama but the books give you so much more behind the story.

BTW--nice job here!

Thanks for the heads up Stehpen, since we don't have HBO, I think I will go out and buy the books. Cool!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I just starting watching it. I've only seen the first 2 episodes but already don't like the Lannisters.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Schuey wrote:

BTW--nice job here!

Thanks for the heads up Stehpen, since we don't have HBO, I think I will go out and buy the books. Cool!

Yuck. Reading. Razz Razz Razz Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:12 pm

We've DVR'd it, but are waiting for the kids to let us watch it.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenbarryfreedman Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Schuey wrote:

BTW--nice job here!

This is a background review of the series of books, Game of Thrones is ony the first------

Amazon.com Review

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."
Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.
There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

From Publishers Weekly

In a world where the approaching winter will last four decades, kings and queens, knights and renegades struggle for control of a throne. Some fight with sword and mace, others with magic and poison. Beyond the Wall to the north, meanwhile, the Others are preparing their army of the dead to march south as the warmth of summer drains from the land. After more than a decade devoted primarily to TV and screen work, Martin (The Armageddon Rag, 1983) makes a triumphant return to high fantasy with this extraordinarily rich new novel, the first of a trilogy. Although conventional in form, the book stands out from similar work by Eddings, Brooks and others by virtue of its superbly developed characters, accomplished prose and sheer bloody-mindedness. Although the romance of chivalry is central to the culture of the Seven Kingdoms, and tournaments, derring-do and handsome knights abound, these trappings merely give cover to dangerous men and women who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. When Lord Stark of Winterfell, an honest man, comes south to act as the King's chief councilor, no amount of heroism or good intentions can keep the realm under control. It is fascinating to watch Martin's characters mature and grow, particularly Stark's children, who stand at the center of the book. Martin's trophy case is already stuffed with major prizes, including Hugos, Nebulas, Locus Awards and a Bram Stoker. He's probably going to have to add another shelf, at least. Major ad/promo.
stephenbarryfreedman
stephenbarryfreedman

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Stephen again thanks for posting the review. Just went to the local book store and just bought book one "A Game of Thrones". The guy at the store told us that he has an unbelievable waiting list for book four which is coming out soon.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm

So I just walked into the kitchen at work to get some of my usual afternoon coffee and there were a couple of people standing around talking. I hear the one guy say to this girl, "so you watch it to? I'm a complete Thrones addict". I said, "seriously? I have never heard of Game of Thrones until my buddies on my running forum talked about it". Then she said, "do you like Lord of the Rings?" I said, "it's ok...", she said, "OMG! It's JUST like that, but it has more relationship stuff in it". Then he said, "you HAVE to read the book! It's amazing!" I said, "Yeah...no...my husband just bought it and it's like 5 inches thick, small words and no pictures...thanks though!"

Anyway, just had to post that if I hadn't heard of the Game of Thrones from you guys, I wouldn't have been able to joke around with them in the kitchen.

Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:So I just walked into the kitchen at work to get some of my usual afternoon coffee and there were a couple of people standing around talking. I hear the one guy say to this girl, "so you watch it to? I'm a complete Thrones addict". I said, "seriously? I have never her of Game of Thrones until my buddies on my running forum talked about it". Then she said, "do you like Lord of the Rings?" I said, "it's ok...", she said, "OMG! It's JUST like that, but it has more relationship stuff in it". Then he said, "you HAVE to read the book! It's amazing!" I said, "Yeah...no...my husband just bought it and it's like 5 inches thick, small words and no pictures...thanks though!"

Anyway, just had to post that if I hadn't heard of the Game of Thrones from you guys, I wouldn't have been able to joke around with them in the kitchen.

I am still not sure what the hell it is...haha...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:So I just walked into the kitchen at work to get some of my usual afternoon coffee and there were a couple of people standing around talking. I hear the one guy say to this girl, "so you watch it to? I'm a complete Thrones addict". I said, "seriously? I have never her of Game of Thrones until my buddies on my running forum talked about it". Then she said, "do you like Lord of the Rings?" I said, "it's ok...", she said, "OMG! It's JUST like that, but it has more relationship stuff in it". Then he said, "you HAVE to read the book! It's amazing!" I said, "Yeah...no...my husband just bought it and it's like 5 inches thick, small words and no pictures...thanks though!"

I am still not sure what the hell it is...haha...

Hahaha! Me either!! Razz I just sounded cool in the kitchen lol! lol!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Lisa, for what its worth, Britt hates Lord of the Rings, thinks Harry Potter is the dorkiest thing ever, and still refuses to watch the Matrix, despite it being her husband's favorite movie of all time. Put to it nicely, the science fiction genre isn't her cup of tea.

I was convinced that I'd be watching Game of Thrones without her. 1 episode in and she was hooked. The fantasy and medieval nature of the show really is secondary to the characters. If you like any HBO show where character development is the prime focus, you have to give it a try. It can be overhwelming as there are about a dozen "main" characters, but there are so many storylines that its just amazing.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Dave-O wrote:Lisa, for what its worth, Britt hates Lord of the Rings, thinks Harry Potter is the dorkiest thing ever, and still refuses to watch the Matrix, despite it being her husband's favorite movie of all time. Put to it nicely, the science fiction genre isn't her cup of tea.

Dave, there are many reasons I adore Britt and you have just added 3 more reasons SmileSmile. Ugh. The Matrix....the bugs in the field or whatever they are. Ugh...don't get me started..... Razz

I will give it a try though...I can't knock it until I've given it a shot.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Dave-O wrote:Lisa, for what its worth, Britt hates Lord of the Rings, thinks Harry Potter is the dorkiest thing ever, and still refuses to watch the Matrix, despite it being her husband's favorite movie of all time. Put to it nicely, the science fiction genre isn't her cup of tea.

I was convinced that I'd be watching Game of Thrones without her. 1 episode in and she was hooked. The fantasy and medieval nature of the show really is secondary to the characters. If you like any HBO show where character development is the prime focus, you have to give it a try. It can be overhwelming as there are about a dozen "main" characters, but there are so many storylines that its just amazing.

That is funny Dave because after about 10 tries I finally got her to watch all of Lord of the Rings. Minded you that you know Lisa and I had to answer 20 million question during the movie but at least I finally got her to watch it. Oh yeah she refuses to watch the Matrix movies, man I love them!

Again since we don't have HBO we will have to buy the DVD's when they come out. In the mean time I did start reading the book last night and I love it!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next