365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Suggestion for tomorrows run.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestion for tomorrows run.

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:12 am

I am coming off 20 straight days of running as of Sunday. I did 75 last week with 21 on sunday and sat an easy 4 miles. Today is complete rest. This week is a step back week and I do feel it is needed with a HM on Sunday followed by my last week of 80 miles before taper.

I was planned to run as scheduled below (in color) but not sure a tempo run would make sense tomorrow during the same week I am running a HM. I am thinking of changing it to 600 or 800's @ 5k pace maybe 5-6 of them.

The graph below is last years schedule for HM (Jersey City - I did PR by 2 min.)

This is what I have scheduled this week

Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion for tomorrows run.

Post  JohnP on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 am

I would substitute an easy 8 miler (not recovery) for the LT run. You don't need the tempo when you are doing the half this week. This will also provide a little more recovery for your body to really enhance your chances this weekend.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am

I'm running a 15K this weekend, and my schedule of runs for the week look very much like yours. My coach and I discussed the "speed" session that I have scheduled for Tuesday with the caveat that we would play it be ear. My 15K is not a goal race; however, but more of a hard tempo run/race to let me know where my legs are at and to make sure I maintain the mental edge of racing. I ran a total of 58 miles last week, and my schedule for this week only drops the mileage down to 45 mpw. So it really depends on your goal for Sunday as to whether or not you change Tuesday's run.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 am

What Michele said. The tempo won't bump your fitness at all in time for the HM, but it will contribute to a better marathon if you don't mind the possibility of the HM time suffering a little bit.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:52 am

I actually like the way the week looks. 6 miles at tempo early in the week isn't going to break you down. However, if the half is a goal race I might scale back the 12 LSD, depending on how I felt.

You gotta assess how you feel and make whatever adjustments are necessary. Nothing wrong with bagging the tempo run or any other changes that you feel will help you prepare for the race.

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:54 am

@Mike MacLellan wrote:What Michele said. The tempo won't bump your fitness at all in time for the HM, but it will contribute to a better marathon if you don't mind the possibility of the HM time suffering a little bit.

Mike agree but I think if I drop the tempo run I will get the benefit from the HM run as a substitute. Remove the tempo and do either v02max or maybe GA run with some strides might be a good call. Honestly I prefer not to do vo2max tomorrow as I think that will take more out of me then a tempo run and certainly a GA.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:56 am

@Mr MattM wrote:I actually like the way the week looks. 6 miles at tempo early in the week isn't going to break you down. However, if the half is a goal race I might scale back the 12 LSD, depending on how I felt.

You gotta assess how you feel and make whatever adjustments are necessary. Nothing wrong with bagging the tempo run or any other changes that you feel will help you prepare for the race.

Just read this after I poseted. I agree tempo won't be a killer run vs. v02max imo. I like the idea of scaling the 12 down depending on feel. Thanks!

Good ideas and it's starting to come together in my soul!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top