365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Marathon Weather

+12
Mike MacLellan
fostever
Schuey
mul21
ounce
Julie
Dave-O
Jerry
Nick Morris
JohnP
Joel H
Mrs. Schuey
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chicago Marathon Weather - Page 2 Empty Re: Chicago Marathon Weather

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
mul21 wrote:Well, now that we're 10 days out, the weather channel has a forecast up that I think is probably at least in the ballpark. Not perfect, but I think we can probably handle it. Overnight low of 49, high of 64 with a 40% chance of scattered showers. I think that's good enough for PR attempts. Now let's just hope it holds or gets better.

That's definitely PR weather!! Go gett'em!!

That's what I thought last year at this point. lol!

Yeah how about it. Then again I never really care about the weather, bottom line is either you show and get the job done or don't! For me I just show up and race and give it 110%.

Hey that's what I did too, except I forgot to adjust the goal. Chicago Marathon Weather - Page 2 63558857

Yeah well you can't forget to do that! You sure did look good at the 10k mark though!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:30 pm

News Alert! We have no control over the weather, so we'll have to suck it up or wimp out, which do you choose? Hey, start out in the 50's with rising temps and some nice rain and overcast to provide a cooling effect, I'm fine with that! So we'll need lots o vasoline, kids!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:34 pm

fostever wrote:News Alert! We have no control over the weather, so we'll have to suck it up or wimp out, which do you choose? Hey, start out in the 50's with rising temps and some nice rain and overcast to provide a cooling effect, I'm fine with that! So we'll need lots o vasoline, kids!

I don't even want to know what you are thinking about with that vasoline affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm guessing groin and armpits for chafing. It's what I use. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 am

Schuey wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
mul21 wrote:Well, now that we're 10 days out, the weather channel has a forecast up that I think is probably at least in the ballpark. Not perfect, but I think we can probably handle it. Overnight low of 49, high of 64 with a 40% chance of scattered showers. I think that's good enough for PR attempts. Now let's just hope it holds or gets better.

That's definitely PR weather!! Go gett'em!!

That's what I thought last year at this point. lol!

Yeah how about it. Then again I never really care about the weather, bottom line is either you show and get the job done or don't! For me I just show up and race and give it 110%.

Hey that's what I did too, except I forgot to adjust the goal. Chicago Marathon Weather - Page 2 63558857

Yeah well you can't forget to do that! You sure did look good at the 10k mark though!

Now think about it, I probably did 120% in the first 10k. Basketball
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Looks like it's going to be a warm one.... Sweaty

Chicago Marathon Weather - Page 2 Weathermap

Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 pm

NOAA is still showing it won't crack 70 until after 11:00, so it won't be near as bad as last year at least.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 pm

mul21 wrote:NOAA is still showing it won't crack 70 until after 11:00, so it won't be near as bad as last year at least.

Yeah will see, lets hope the weather changes and they are wrong. I did see that they are saying it will be 60 at 7am

72% humidity and dew point of 52F. And sunny!Q

One of these days we will have to get a break with the weather here in Chicago.

For me I don't think that it is to bad, but I would prefer cloudy and 45 at start and 55 to 60 at finish.

Like any race day only one choice suck it up and get it done!!

Last edited by Schuey on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Schuey wrote:
mul21 wrote:NOAA is still showing it won't crack 70 until after 11:00, so it won't be near as bad as last year at least.

Yeah will see, lets hope the weather changes and they are wrong. I did see that they are saying it will be 60 at 7am

Had you trained in Texas this Summer, 60 would be ok. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:

I'll be fine, it's been 80 degrees all week in St. Louis!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm

mul21 wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Good to hear.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm

It seems the weather forecast doesn't bother anyone but me. I know that a starting temp of 58 which will rise into the 60s will affect me without a doubt. That is fantastic weather for a run or even a long run, but it's a challenge for a marathon where it takes everything I have and I am really affected by the heat. This morning, channel 5 showed a high of 79 Sunday which is as close to 80 as you can get. So I guess we'll wait and see. Realistically, I may need to adjust my goal time, try to gut it out and then slow miserably late in the race, or look for a different race but who knows what the weather will be like the following week.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:37 pm

JohnP wrote:It seems the weather forecast doesn't bother anyone but me. I know that a starting temp of 58 which will rise into the 60s will affect me without a doubt. That is fantastic weather for a run or even a long run, but it's a challenge for a marathon where it takes everything I have and I am really affected by the heat. This morning, channel 5 showed a high of 79 Sunday which is as close to 80 as you can get. So I guess we'll wait and see. Realistically, I may need to adjust my goal time, try to gut it out and then slow miserably late in the race, or look for a different race but who knows what the weather will be like the following week.

John I agree with you 100%. The forecast does bother me some also. I was out running today it really felt warm to me compared to what it was like the last few weeks. I guess I'm just trying to stay up beat and positive about it because we can't control it, I find that I have to prepare myself mentally the best I can. Even thought I'm not racing Chicago this year I would really like to see the temps a lot lower to make the event much more enjoyable.

Yeah we know Jerry it's hot in Texas but guess what this isn't Texas!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:38 pm

mul21 wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:

You earned the day by training through the Summer, unlike Jerry. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Schuey wrote:
JohnP wrote:It seems the weather forecast doesn't bother anyone but me. I know that a starting temp of 58 which will rise into the 60s will affect me without a doubt. That is fantastic weather for a run or even a long run, but it's a challenge for a marathon where it takes everything I have and I am really affected by the heat. This morning, channel 5 showed a high of 79 Sunday which is as close to 80 as you can get. So I guess we'll wait and see. Realistically, I may need to adjust my goal time, try to gut it out and then slow miserably late in the race, or look for a different race but who knows what the weather will be like the following week.

John I agree with you 100%. The forecast does bother me some also. I was out running today it really felt warm to me compared to what it was like the last few weeks. I guess I'm just trying to stay up beat and positive about it because we can't control it, I find that I have to prepare myself mentally the best I can. Even thought I'm not racing Chicago this year I would really like to see the temps a lot lower to make the event much more enjoyable.

Yeah we know Jerry it's hot in Texas but guess what this isn't Texas!

Jerry would in fact really piss off if it is warm like current forecast as he always wanted and still wants someday a good showing in Chicago. Boston and New York are just too difficult and more expensive.

But, what can you do?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 pm

John I ain't running Chicago but I can understand your concern with starting temps at 58. I am with you anything over 60 and I will certainly feel the affects. I think you have to consider the weather into your overall strategy and adjust accordingly.

For me come race day I will shoot for GOAL A but if weather is not where I like it to be GOAL B quickly becomes my new reality.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm not running Chicago either, but I understand the concerns, especially with it being sunny. You all just have to be smart and listen to your bodies and do the best you can. No marathon can guarantee perfect weather.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Julie wrote:I'm not running Chicago either, but I understand the concerns, especially with it being sunny. You all just have to be smart and listen to your bodies and do the best you can. No marathon can guarantee perfect weather.

Right on Julie! You can't depend on it being perfect, that is why you train as hard as you can. Train in the heat, snow, wind, rain and etc.. So that way come race day you know you are mentally prepared to handle whatever is thrown your way. Most importantly what I have found to work for me is that I just stay relaxed and don't let this stuff get to me.

Again it is going to be what it is going to be, just get yourself in the right mind set and give it 110% on race day and let the cards fall were they may!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Schuey wrote:...just get yourself in the right mind set and give it 110% on race day and let the cards fall were they may!

I would like to caution against giving it 110% on race day. That will usually not end well. Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Schuey wrote:...just get yourself in the right mind set and give it 110% on race day and let the cards fall were they may!

I would like to caution against giving it 110% on race day. That will usually not end well. Razz

No, I think you interpret 110% different than Schuey, but essentially do the same. Otherwise, you would not have had your sub 3 last year. Jerry, on the other hand, went out 110% literally.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Schuey wrote:
Julie wrote:I'm not running Chicago either, but I understand the concerns, especially with it being sunny. You all just have to be smart and listen to your bodies and do the best you can. No marathon can guarantee perfect weather.

Right on Julie! You can't depend on it being perfect, that is why you train as hard as you can. Train in the heat, snow, wind, rain and etc.. So that way come race day you know you are mentally prepared to handle whatever is thrown your way. Most importantly what I have found to work for me is that I just stay relaxed and don't let this stuff get to me.

Again it is going to be what it is going to be, just get yourself in the right mind set and give it 110% on race day and let the cards fall were they may!

As always, you guys come through with the right things to say. As for me, I am not sweating the things that I can not change. The only thing that I am focusing on is getting myself physically and mentally prepared for 26.2 miles...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 pm

No matter the weather, you'll have a couple in Denver cheering you all on! Good luck!

All you really have to do is run as fast as the elites and you'll probably beat the heat! tongue
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm

ChasMcG wrote:No matter the weather, you'll have a couple in Denver cheering you all on! Good luck!

Booo! We want them here!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I would imagine if it's even perceived as a tad bit warm, the first 6 miles worth of aid stations will be busy with runners thinking it'll be the last water they will EVER see. I'd carry a bottle of water with me, just to avoid that situation until sane people realize there will be water at subsequent aid stations.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Wow. I don't think either of my marathons were anywhere near 60 - probably started in the low 60s and got up to the mid-high 70s (I think OC pushed 80)... Wonder what it'll be like to run in cold weather in Beantown.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next