365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Hoping for Fall redemption

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Joel H on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 am

I feel the exact opposite because I have lived in the south my entire life and I would much rather have the cold than the heat. I am not sure I could live somewhere like Minnesota where there winters never end. However, once I retire I plan on finding a middle ground where there are 4 seasons and all of them are pretty much equal...somewhere like North/South Carolina or Virginia sound good to me right now. We definitely have different perspectives but that is due to where we have lived our entire lives but I hear what you are saying.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 am

I hope you get that pain figured out especially as you sit in the car and drive. Do you have a pillow or something you can sit on in the car? I know my mom had one of those when she broke her tailbone...

I'm not a big fan of summer but there is nothing I hate more than winter, mostly because the ice and snow just scare me for running and also for driving so I end up inside too much.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 am

@Liz R wrote:Tr

Getting old. But we push through and figure out new ways to keep moving.

Well said Liz!

It was just about 80 degrees and quite humid by the time I started my workout today.
After 4.5 easy miles, I did 5 x 300m hill sprints on a not too steep hill at the preserve. I did them somewhere between 10k and HM pace (about 7:25/mile). For my first uptempo work since resuming running, this was a modest, but successful start.
More potentially optimistic news...The periformis was a bit milder today. I barely felt it during the run.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 pm

The legs felt good, if a little tired after yesterday's hill sprints.
I started today with P90x Back and Biceps and Ab Ripper X. This evening was 4 recovery miles (9:15/mile). Today made four days in a row of running, which I haven't done since coming back. I felt the periformis a little during the day but not at all during the run, so I'm a little more confident that it's working its way out. I'm pretty tired now.
Tomorrow will be interesting. As part of my 50th birthday/fathers day extravaganza, my kids got me four one-hour sessions with a personal trainer that my son-in-law talks about like he's the second coming. I guess they don't think I do enough to keep myself in good shape.
Well, tomorrow is my first session with him. I have no idea what we'll do, but I have no plans to do leg work with him. I guess I'll try to steer it towards core and upper body work. He is aware of the fact that I'm a marathon runner, so I'm hoping he's smart about designing workouts to enhance what I'm already doing.
I need to catch up on what everyone has been up to. Hopefully I'll have to some time to sit and read blogs tomorrow.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Some good running sounds like a comeback is happening.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:36 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:
Tomorrow will be interesting. As part of my 50th birthday/fathers day extravaganza, my kids got me four one-hour sessions with a personal trainer that my son-in-law talks about like he's the second coming. I guess they don't think I do enough to keep myself in good shape.

Remember what doesn't kill you . . . well doesn't kill you. Have fun.
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Very encouraging that things are continuing to look up! Enjoy the trainer - heres a thought - you might just be able to train the trainer Laughing

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 pm

@Dave Wolfe wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:

Remember what doesn't kill you . . . well doesn't kill you. Have fun.

Common you think you do enough all you do is train for marathons and oh run Boston! Wink

Very happy to read that things continue to get better. Keep it up Seth
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:06 am

Pretty funny! Well, it might be fun to see what the trainer says.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

Sounds like a great present too me.... Cool

Happy belated birthday! I must have missed it when I was out on vacation.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:23 pm

@Joel H wrote:

Happy belated birthday! I must have missed it when I was out on vacation.

Thanks Joel!

Just got back from my first personal training session. The guy didn't disappoint. Imagine a Tae-Kwon-Do instructor, in incredible shape, with a prosthetic leg!
Needless to say, he has more leg issues than I'll ever have (God willing), so he totally gets my situation. He also gets that all the training I do is meant to enhance my running. He's focusing, as I had expected he would, on my core and upper body. He took me through exercises and moves that I never dreamed of, and after an hour, my butt was sufficiently kicked. It was very intense. For all my fellow P90x users, imagine a one-on-one session with Tony Horton, but make it twice as extreme of a workout. On the other hand, I have a feeling that without months of P90x, this workout would have been next to impossible. I've got three more one hour sessions with him. I'm really looking forward to it.
That's it for today. Tomorrow I'll shoot for 10 miles, which will be my first double digit distance run since coming back.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am

Woke up with very sore quads and hamstrings after yesterday's first session with the personal trainer. Good thing we didn't concentrate on the legs!
It made for a tougher run this morning. The plan was to do between 8-10 miles at the preserve. It was close to 80 and quite humid by 9:00, so I kept it to 8.5 easy miles. Again the periformis didn't bother me at all during the run, even though I can still feel it is somewhat during the day. Of greater concern is that the foot has been bothering me again. I haven't mentioned it just because I haven't wanted to think about it. After taking off six weeks to let it heal, I would have thought that it was in the past. We'll have to see what happens going forward, but my hope is to be able to continue to train through it.
I'm off to Atlanta on Monday for three days of work. I'm not sure how much running I'll be able to do, but after running five out the last six days, and with that one day of no running being a very tough workout with the personal trainer, if this ends up being a bit of a step-back week, that's probably not a bad thing.
Here's today's run:

Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:47 pm

All I can say is that you are one tough son of a gun. That is a heck of a run after what you've been through and then a workout that would probably have me down for the count. No doubt all of your P90 work has left you in great shape. Impressive about the run was the consistency even with the two climbs. Heres a good luck wish to the foot!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Seth, that personal trainer gift sounds really cool. If he focused on your core/upper body, I wonder why your legs were so sore? You had very consistent paces on your runs even with the elevation changes. What is wrong with the foot?
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:All I can say is that you are one tough son of a gun. That is a heck of a run after what you've been through and then a workout that would probably have me down for the count. No doubt all of your P90 work has left you in great shape. Impressive about the run was the consistency even with the two climbs. Heres a good luck wish to the foot!

John, thanks! As hard as this guy worked me out, I know all the P90x I've done for the past 10 months has made a huge difference.

@JohnP wrote:Seth, that personal trainer gift sounds really cool. If he focused on your core/upper body, I wonder why your legs were so sore? You had very consistent paces on your runs even with the elevation changes. What is wrong with the foot?

John, it is a cool, if punishing gift from my kids! Thanks.
As for the foot, I trained through the winter and ran Boston with either a stress reaction or a mild stress fracture. I took six weeks off after Boston to let it heal, and as I said above, it's still a little sore. I notice it only slightly when I'm running, but during the day it will bother me from time to time. It's pretty mild, and doesn't seem to be getting worse. I just have to make sure it continues to not get worse or my upcoming marathon training cycle could be affected.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Good run in this heat stepback seems right on time. Watch the foot. When will you be free of all pain? No need to answer just amazing the constant crap you are going through. Meanwhile, as Papillion said "I'm still here you bastards."
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Happy Belated Birthday and how awesome to have your own intense personal Tony Horton!

What was your foot injury? I'm sorry it's bothering you again.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Seth, injuries are really hard to avoid completely as you have experienced. After having a hamstring issue after going a long time without one, I can relate. Piriformis syndrome is no fun either, I have had that a few years ago. It would kill when driving as you point out.

That was a fun gift your family gave you. It's great that you were already in good enough shape to survive the first round!

Hope you are successful in your quest to overcome these obstacles and BQ.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:33 pm

I think those personal trainers stay up at night making stuff up to kill us with!
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:Good run in this heat stepback seems right on time. Watch the foot. When will you be free of all pain? No need to answer just amazing the constant crap you are going through. Meanwhile, as Papillion said "I'm still here you bastards."

You may not remember, but you suggested that as the title for my first blog a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, not much has changed!

@Julie wrote:Happy Belated Birthday and how awesome to have your own intense personal Tony Horton!

What was your foot injury? I'm sorry it's bothering you again.

Thanks Julie! I'm just getting back from a six week layoff due to a stress fracture in my right foot.

@jon c wrote:Seth, injuries are really hard to avoid completely as you have experienced. After having a hamstring issue after going a long time without one, I can relate. Piriformis syndrome is no fun either, I have had that a few years ago. It would kill when driving as you point out.

That was a fun gift your family gave you. It's great that you were already in good enough shape to survive the first round!

Hope you are successful in your quest to overcome these obstacles and BQ.

Jon, thanks! Getting back to Boston is definitely the goal. After being chewed up and spit out by the course the first time, I really want to have another shot at it. Getting the BQ again is likely to be more of a challenge this time around though.

Natalie Wolf wrote:I think those personal trainers stay up at night making stuff up to kill us with!

I was thinking much the same thing Natalie. I've been doing core/abdominal work for years, and I could never have dreamed up the exercises he was throwing at me. I was looking at the clock after the first 15 minutes.

No running today. P90x Back and Biceps followed by Ab Ripper X.
Off to Marietta, GA. for work early tomorrow morning. I should have time to run after I finish work. I haven't had time to research running routes yet, so I'll have to find a route when I get down there.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:17 am

Maybe you will read this, Seth. Wish I was home to meet you for a run since I live minutes from marietta. If you do read this, you might want to try a run at the "River". It is the Chattahoochee National Park at Powers Ferry off Interstate Pkwy and I285. Most people should know where that is. You can also ask about Columns Dr or call the Big Peach Running store on Johnson Ferry Rd in Marietta.

Any way, Columns Dr is a 5 mile flat road loop, the park has a flat 5k gravel trail and also a series of hilly trails up above in an area called Sope Creek.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 am

Seth - I do remember that! I still think you should use that name! Maybe I will!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

I hope you enjoy your running while in GA and I hope the humidity stays decently low.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Happy belathed birthday, Seth. My tibial stress fracture gave me phantom pains on and off for at least half of a year after it healed.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:01 pm

I just read that you are doing the personal trainer thing. I just did my first hour today. OW! Recent running looks pretty solid.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top