365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Hoping for Fall redemption

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 pm

We all want to know what marathon. The suspense is killing me. affraid
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4628
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:59 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:We all want to know what marathon. The suspense is killing me. affraid

You couldn't give a crap what marathon I choose. Your post was just an excuse to use that nutty emoticon. Smile
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:20 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@Kenny B. wrote:We all want to know what marathon. The suspense is killing me. affraid

You couldn't give a crap what marathon I choose. Your post was just an excuse to use that nutty emoticon. Smile

Ohh I do care hoping philly. Lol
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4628
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  mul21 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Don't be too surprised at the soreness Seth. I had a little fatigue this week just going from 40 to 50, so being a little beat up after not running for a month + isn't terribly surprising. Stick with the plan and you'll be fine. Good to see a bit of a longer run in there with no issues to speak of though.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4450
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Kenny may not care which race, but I do! I haven't picked mine for the fall yet, either, though I have lots of ideas...
avatar
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1521
Points : 4349
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 60
Location : Portland, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm

This one does come courtesy of Kenny, who, when I told him that I need to start looking for fall marathons, sent me a couple of ideas (I guess he does really care Smile ).

Nov 20 – Bucks County Marathon, Yardley PA - http://www.runbucks.com/index.html


I looked at their site. This is an inaugural marathon, which could be interesting. It's a pancake flat out and back course, possibly on a combination of trails and roads. I have to take a closer look. The good thing about it is that it's late in the season, giving me several more weeks of base building. It also looks like it would be a very fast course, so if I'm serious about getting another BQ, this would offer a good course to do it on.

For now though, I really do have to continue to focus on rebuilding my base and even more importantly, make sure my leg can stand the rigors of a tough training cycle. At least this race gives me a date to use as a target for training purposes.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Seth, you are getting better with each passing day. I think it's great to have a race out there as a marker to shoot for. Your leg will be able to handle the training, just be careful and trust your instincts. I really see a great running year ahead of you! I can't wait to see you nail some serious goals....these setbacks will not keep you down. You're strong and wonderful! Keep up your great work, buddy!
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3605
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 40
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:29 am

I agree seth focus is repairing rebuilding and maintaing so you can have a healthy comfortable training cycle.

Then it maybe The Bucks County Brawl(er). Seth "the rabbit" Harrison vs. Kenny "The Hoverer" Baldo.

Frustration



avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4628
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 am

That Bucks County race looks interesting. Only 500 runners max, and you have to duck every so often!

Just do what you said - focus on the base, and keep it going...
avatar
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1521
Points : 4349
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 60
Location : Portland, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 am

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:Seth, you are getting better with each passing day. I think it's great to have a race out there as a marker to shoot for. Your leg will be able to handle the training, just be careful and trust your instincts. I really see a great running year ahead of you! I can't wait to see you nail some serious goals....these setbacks will not keep you down. You're strong and wonderful! Keep up your great work, buddy!

Lisa, thanks so much for your support and encouragement!

@Kenny B. wrote:I agree seth focus is repairing rebuilding and maintaing so you can have a healthy comfortable training cycle.

Then it maybe The Bucks County Brawl(er). Seth "the rabbit" Harrison vs. Kenny "The Hoverer" Baldo.




Kenny, it would be a blast to do this one together, but based on both our
recent histories, yours being a heck of lot more successful than mine, I
don't think this one will live up to the hype!



@Michael Enright wrote:That Bucks County race looks interesting. Only 500 runners max, and you have to duck every so often!

Just do what you said - focus on the base, and keep it going...

Michael, at 5'7'', I'll just barely have to duck!


After a tough P90x upper body workout last night, and not enough sleep, I really had to drag myself out the door this morning.
I ran another easy 5 miler, at 8:30/mile, a slightly faster GA pace. Other than the left glut area still being tight, which I'm starting to think may be the sciatic nerve acting up, this was as close to a pain free run as I've had. I hardly felt the knee at all, and the foot hasn't really been an issue at all for a couple of weeks.
As long as everything continues to feel like this, I'll continue to up the weekly mileage. I'm still keeping the paces easy, but I am noticing that my easy/GA paces are starting to naturally pick up just a little.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:44 pm

We don't have to live up to the hype. That is why it's called hype. I do hear you of course. Our goals are much different right now! Let's just see you train cleanly and get to toe the line!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4628
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Just a quick update on what I thought earlier in the day may have been a
sciatic nerve issue. After seeing the PT, he told me that it's just a
mild Piriformis flare-up that should respond easily to a combination of
heat, ice, and stretching. Of all the issues I've been dealing, it looks like this one will be nothing more than a niggle.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Natalie on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Seth, I think you need a spa vacation. Or a Dead Sea soak. When's the last time you went to Israel?
avatar
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Posts : 391
Points : 2608
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:Seth, I think you need a spa vacation. Or a Dead Sea soak. When's the last time you went to Israel?

+1
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4628
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Julie on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Glad to hear good news from the PT!

I hope you enjoy the PA Marathon and make your goal. It sounds like you keep getting stronger and faster every week! Great running!
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6128
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:Seth, I think you need a spa vacation. Or a Dead Sea soak. When's the last time you went to Israel?

Natalie, the last time I was in Israel was in 2006, and that was to cover a war...not the kind of vacation you were thinking off, huh?

A real vacation is way overdue. My wife and I were just talking about it at dinner tonight. We were hoping for at least a few days up in the Adirondacks this summer, but it looks like we'll be spending our vacation dollars on another (and I'm not complaining) trip down to Memphis to see our daughter, son-in-law and grandson. I LOVE going down there to see them, but it's not a "spa" type of vacation.

BTW-I'm not complaining about that trip to Israel either. I wouldn't have traded those few harrowing days of dodging Hezbollah missiles for anything. cherry
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Schuey on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:Just a quick update on what I thought earlier in the day may have been a
sciatic nerve issue. After seeing the PT, he told me that it's just a
mild Piriformis flare-up that should respond easily to a combination of
heat, ice, and stretching. Of all the issues I've been dealing, it looks like this one will be nothing more than a niggle.

I hope so, because mine turned from being a mild piriformis flare-up to knocking me on my butt! I found that the heat and stretching really help. Also I would get on the foam roller and put pressure on the trigger point on my piriformis and it really help it clear up. I wish I would have paid closer attention to it early on maybe then I won't have been out for 2 1/2 weeks. Take care of it Seth. What's going on you seem to be following my path of injuries and niggles of late. Stop it!!
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5279
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:30 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:Just a quick update on what I thought earlier in the day may have been a
sciatic nerve issue. After seeing the PT, he told me that it's just a
mild Piriformis flare-up that should respond easily to a combination of
heat, ice, and stretching. Of all the issues I've been dealing, it looks like this one will be nothing more than a niggle.

I hope so, because mine turned from being a mild piriformis flare-up to knocking me on my butt! I found that the heat and stretching really help. Also I would get on the foam roller and put pressure on the trigger point on my piriformis and it really help it clear up. I wish I would have paid closer attention to it early on maybe then I won't have been out for 2 1/2 weeks. Take care of it Seth. What's going on you seem to be following my path of injuries and niggles of late. Stop it!!

Now you've got me worried Schuey. I'm going upstairs right now, digging the foam roller out from under my bed, and getting started with it.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:36 am

Six hilly easy/GA miles at the preserve (8:31 pace) I felt the periformis, but it didn't seem to affect the run. Took an ice bath afterward, then stretched it and foam rolled. For the first time in a while, the knee and foot weren't issues at all. Except for the periformis issue, which I don't think is going to get in the way, things may be coming together.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Kenny B. on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 am

@Seth Harrison wrote:Six hilly easy/GA miles at the preserve (8:31 pace) I felt the periformis, but it didn't seem to affect the run. Took an ice bath afterward, then stretched it and foam rolled. For the first time in a while, the knee and foot weren't issues at all. Except for the periformis issue, which I don't think is going to get in the way, things may be coming together.

Very nice. I'd suggest Ice bath then warm shower then foam roll then stretch. I was the warm after Ice bring blood back starting the healing process. Ice just takes away inflammation! Like you don't have enough to do already!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4628
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am

@Kenny B. wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:Six hilly easy/GA miles at the preserve (8:31 pace) I felt the periformis, but it didn't seem to affect the run. Took an ice bath afterward, then stretched it and foam rolled. For the first time in a while, the knee and foot weren't issues at all. Except for the periformis issue, which I don't think is going to get in the way, things may be coming together.

Very nice. I'd suggest Ice bath then warm shower then foam roll then stretch. I was the warm after Ice bring blood back starting the healing process. Ice just takes away inflammation! Like you don't have enough to do already!

That's exactly what I do. I drain the cold water out of the tub, and than take my warm shower. It does seem to be a good combination.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:46 am

@Seth Harrison wrote:Six hilly easy/GA miles at the preserve (8:31 pace) I felt the periformis, but it didn't seem to affect the run. Took an ice bath afterward, then stretched it and foam rolled. For the first time in a while, the knee and foot weren't issues at all. Except for the periformis issue, which I don't think is going to get in the way, things may be coming together.

First I didn't mean to worry you! Mine turned into a bigger issue because I didn't do anything to fix it in the earlier stages. The other is that I learned that what caused mine was a fatigued butt, from all the downhill running I was doing.

Also like you it really didn't bother me when I was running only before and afterwards. I don't think you have to worry about it Seth because you are on top of it taking care of it early and not being stupid like me were I didn't do anything about it early on. I was more worry about other niggles and working on them.

Yes I agree I think things are coming together for you very nicely! That is a good sign and I hope things keep on rolling along just fine for you. Great news about the knee and foot. I wonder if the knee issues caused the foot issues and when the foot started hurting it keep causing knee pain. It seems like once you have let this foot heal up everything is starting to click for you.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5279
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 am

@Schuey wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:Six hilly easy/GA miles at the preserve (8:31 pace) I felt the periformis, but it didn't seem to affect the run. Took an ice bath afterward, then stretched it and foam rolled. For the first time in a while, the knee and foot weren't issues at all. Except for the periformis issue, which I don't think is going to get in the way, things may be coming together.

First I didn't mean to worry you! Mine turned into a bigger issue because I didn't do anything to fix it in the earlier stages. The other is that I learned that what caused mine was a fatigued butt, from all the downhill running I was doing.

Also like you it really didn't bother me when I was running only before and afterwards. I don't think you have to worry about it Seth because you are on top of it taking care of it early and not being stupid like me were I didn't do anything about it early on. I was more worry about other niggles and working on them.

Yes I agree I think things are coming together for you very nicely! That is a good sign and I hope things keep on rolling along just fine for you. Great news about the knee and foot. I wonder if the knee issues caused the foot issues and when the foot started hurting it keep causing knee pain. It seems like once you have let this foot heal up everything is starting to click for you.

Schuey, you're 100% right about the foot issue being caused by the knee. After my knee surgery last July and missing three months post-surgery, I started training for Boston with very little time to ease back into training. As a result, the foot stress fracture came about from too much training way too fast. It's definitely all connected.
What I'm doing now will amount to about two months of base building, with no concern for speed, before I have to start training for a late fall marathon. The hope, and so far is seems to be working out, is that this base building phase will allow for everything to settle down so that by the time I have to start marathon training, everything will be in good working order.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:53 am

Good point that kenny made, one thing I do is foam roll before I stretch. Also I know the debate has been an on going thing but I think that ice is good when you have very early injury and it is causing swelling. the ice is good I feel at the point because it will stop the swelling from becoming any worse. For example most people don't realize if you sprain your ankle the best thing to do is leave your shoe on and put it and the foot into a bucket of ice water. Why? Because as soon as you take that shoe off more swelling will happen by leaving the shoe on it helps restrict the swelling and when you put it in the ice it then slows the blood flow and allows for the swelling to stop.

Ok back to what I was going to say but once you get past the early swelling phase, I a big fan of warm epsom salt baths and heat pads. Heat helps allow for more blood flow and it is blood that helps allow injuries to heal. Now I know I'm not an expert but every since I have turned my focus on increasing blood flow for niggles and injuries I have healed much quicker. Whether it is taking warm baths, ultrasound, electric stim, using the stick or foam rolling all these things help aid in increasing blood flow to the muscles and other parts of the body.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5279
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:58 am

@Schuey wrote:Good point that kenny made, one thing I do is foam roll before I stretch. Also I know the debate has been an on going thing but I think that ice is good when you have very early injury and it is causing swelling. the ice is good I feel at the point because it will stop the swelling from becoming any worse. For example most people don't realize if you sprain your ankle the best thing to do is leave your shoe on and put it and the foot into a bucket of ice water. Why? Because as soon as you take that shoe off more swelling will happen by leaving the shoe on it helps restrict the swelling and when you put it in the ice it then slows the blood flow and allows for the swelling to stop.

Ok back to what I was going to say but once you get past the early swelling phase, I a big fan of warm epsom salt baths and heat pads. Heat helps allow for more blood flow and it is blood that helps allow injuries to heal. Now I know I'm not an expert but every since I have turned my focus on increasing blood flow for niggles and injuries I have healed much quicker. Whether it is taking warm baths, ultrasound, electric stim, using the stick or foam rolling all these things help aid in increasing blood flow to the muscles and other parts of the body.

We're all on the same page Schuey. What I left out is that before my run, I used a heating pad for about 20 minutes to warm it up. I do that most mornings. I think I'm doing just about everything I'm supposed to be doing to manage this. Judging by how it feels right now (about an hour after the run) I'm probably doing all the right things.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum