365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recovery Leg road to running

+12
John Kilpatrick
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
Scott C
Dave-O
Seth Harrison
Julie
Dave Wolfe
Michele "1L" Keane
Diego
wheakory
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Recovery Leg road to running - Page 2 Empty Re: Recovery Leg road to running

Post  Dave P Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:15 am

Hey Kory, thanks for that 1/10 update. I'm praying that things continue to improve on all fronts.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:59 pm

As a lawyer, I'm glad to see you were able to settle the case for an amount of money you feel is fair. Going through years of litigation can be stressful; one reason settlement is appealing is because you can put it behind you and move on with your life.

As a runner, its good to see you running 50 miles per week again. I know we all take for granted the amount of mileage we log, but it has to feel great to be training regularly again.

Thanks for the update!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

Did 6 x 800m with my daughter. Did several in the 5 something range. First track work since my accident. But it was mainly to help my daughter for her workout.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Monday:
Did 6 x 800m's Yasso's with my daughter on the track. She runs for the high school so I was helping her out. This is the first track stuff since my accident. I was nervous but did better than I thought. I didn't look at the splits because I wanted to acceleration with control and good form and not worry about pace. For me good form and control is more important right now. We totaled 6 miles for the run. Very windy and cold. Didn't want to stay out too long for a Holiday off.

Tuesday:
8.68 miles on my own at 15 degrees. Did for of the miles in the 6 minute range on a flat course. Overall average was 7:04.

Wednesday:
Did 9 miles around a 7:10 pace. First 5 miles were up a gradual uphill that I used to train on once a week. Another first... I haven't done this training route up Satterfield Rd. since my accident. I can still feel some hip pain when I only run uphill. My theory is it just needs strengthened and I'm going to try and incorporate more uphill in my runs hopefully. The temperature was 30 degrees but with a mph 18 mph wind. The last two miles home were not fun.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Kory really glad to read that things are going in the right direction for you and your family. Also happy to read that you now have some piece of mind and can put the accident behind you. God Bless you and our family! Oh by the way nice workout with your daughter!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Schuey wrote:Kory really glad to read that things are going in the right direction for you and your family. Also happy to read that you now have some piece of mind and can put the accident behind you. God Bless you and our family! Oh by the way nice workout with your daughter!

Thanks Schuey we just try to live life to the best we can.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I can't get enough time to post everyday now just busy, but I want to try and keep some presence in this blog.

Ran 9.1 miles at an overall 7.00 pace felt easy and manageable. I've cut back my mileage this week probably to only 40 miles do to work related stuff. Last week I did 51 miles (not reported yet on the blog). Ran up foothills Rd. and over by Pocatello High School and Irving Junior High this morning. My body feels pretty good other than I have more soreness running now after the accident than I ever did before.

I need to get a pair medium lightweight long run shoes. I like the brook launch and they fit right in that category. I've had the brooks launch before and really liked them. Currently, I'm using Saucony Kinvara, Asics Speedstars, Asics Bandito's, and Saucony Tangent 4's.

Shoes is good topic to discuss if your not careful putting too many miles on a shoe can lead to hip and knee pain. Also puts stress on the IT band and shins.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Looking good Kory, nice consistent miles you are putting in. I picked up a pair of Kinvaras and did a few runs in them before the hip thing happened, but I absolutely loved running in them, even in spite of me being an awfully heavy heel striker. How many miles do you expect to get from a pair?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Sorry for being so distant my friends it's just been busy. I've keep up things on facebook so if you want to become friends look me up there.

I did do my first real long run last week at 17 miles at an average 7:22 pace in 2 hours since my accident (August 24, 2010). I still have some sciatic nerve pain that I'm hoping will go away. Good run with not drinking water an only sipping on 1/4 of a Vanilla gel. But that's the typical me on a first few long runs I never try or drink or eat... then I eventually do so.

Right now I've kept my mileage consistent around 60 and 50 mile per week for over 2 months. I don't know what my future holds and don't know if I will run another marathon yet, but it definitely will never be what I used to be able to do a couple years ago. Sometimes I get frustrated about that but I'm alive and I have my family. Anyway I did a 7 mile run this morning around a 7:20 pace with the last mile at 6:53. If I do feel thinks are going well then I will run the Pocatello Marathon in September.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Good to hear from you, Kory!

Looks like you are continuing the long rehab process and have a goal for September. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Making it back to the marathon is a MAJOR accomplishment after what you experienced! God bless.

mm

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Mr MattM wrote:Good to hear from you, Kory!

Looks like you are continuing the long rehab process and have a goal for September. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Making it back to the marathon is a MAJOR accomplishment after what you experienced! God bless.

mm
Thanks Matt M. Coming from an elite runner as yourself that means a lot. You've done so much over the years.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 pm

18.31 mile run today at a 7:24 pace ending with a 6:38 mile. I seem to always start out ok then get into the run.

Thank you POWERBAR energy gel. I did an experiment last week when taking a Hammer Gel for almost 18 miles. This week with Powerbar Energy Gel. No comparison the Powerbar Energy Gel stimulated my energy glycogen level far better than the Hammer Gel. I ran the same route and took the gels at the same time and the stimulation of the Powerbar Energy Gel was by far more noticeable. Plus the Hammer Gel I didn't keep down very well it seemed to give stomach issues. The Powerbar gel seem to stimulate the muscles quickly and give me the fuel I needed.

8:24, 7:49, 7:43, 7:37, 7:21 7:27, 7:19, 7:19, 7:23, 7:27, 7:22, 7:11, 7:21, 7:10, 7:08, 7:09, 6:38 (all pretty much flat and more uphill than down.)
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Nice running, Kory. As for you experiment, the engineer in me says that you need more than 2 data points Wink However, I am not a fan of Hammer Gel, but I do like Gu Roctane and Accelerade gels.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Nice running, Kory. As for you experiment, the engineer in me says that you need more than 2 data points Wink However, I am not a fan of Hammer Gel, but I do like Gu Roctane and Accelerale gels.
I've tried them along time ago and their next in this experiment.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:18.31 mile run today at a 7:24 pace ending with a 6:38 mile. I seem to always start out ok then get into the run.

Thank you POWERBAR energy gel. I did an experiment last week when taking a Hammer Gel for almost 18 miles. This week with Powerbar Energy Gel. No comparison the Powerbar Energy Gel stimulated my energy glycogen level far better than the Hammer Gel. I ran the same route and took the gels at the same time and the stimulation of the Powerbar Energy Gel was by far more noticeable. Plus the Hammer Gel I didn't keep down very well it seemed to give stomach issues. The Powerbar gel seem to stimulate the muscles quickly and give me the fuel I needed.

8:24, 7:49, 7:43, 7:37, 7:21 7:27, 7:19, 7:19, 7:23, 7:27, 7:22, 7:11, 7:21, 7:10, 7:08, 7:09, 6:38 (all pretty much flat and more uphill than down.)

Holy smokes Kory - that was a heck of a run. I'm only vaguely familiar with where you came from running wise and I know you were once a lot faster, but to mere mortals suck as myself that is a whale of a run. It is funny how different gels/gus/whatever work better for different people. There isn't even a close second for me to the vanilla bean flavored regular gu with caffeine. And I absolutely despise the Powerbar energy gels - also a bummer because that is what they offer on ironman courses.... Damn marketing.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:09 am

John your right only my experience with it.
Thanks for your kind words. Trying to DNS running again.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Wow Kory. Welcome to our humble abode. Like I stated to you at Hal's place, you are an Ironman sir. Amazing. Kudos for almost coming completely back in this short amount of time.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Kory you continue to be the amazing! What wonderful training you are having in really a short period of time to be bouncing around with those splits. I gather your a pretty humble guy but what a story this has become. If anything, it deserves be told to those who struggle after injury or illness to get moving again!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Well I now know that at titanium rod leg can run over 20 miles. I ran 22.23 miles at a 7:32 pace in 2:47. God gives you the strength when you don't think the physical is possible. You look back and where you start in life or recovery or anything that a major trauma in your life and you realize how good God is to his Children.

The wind was really nasty and just cold. I was in shorts an shirt and my CEP compression socks what was I thinking. I had light gloves on and my hands were freezing. There were several times I wanted to cut it short, but I remembered that my recovery was harder than this, and that gave me the motivation to quit going.

I ran in a headwind for most of it up to 25mph. It was hard miles on some. I did the last two mile at 6:56 and 6:58. I just took it easier because I knew if I would have press real hard in the wind the run could have been who knows what. With knowing this run I think I'm close to getting at least a 3 hr marathon. Race pace will be quite different so things are possible for under 3 hours again.

Tried the GU Energy GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel Blueberry Pomegranate 2x Caffeine and this is a great gel. I would have to say its above or tied with the Powerbar gels.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:04 pm

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:
Tried the GU Energy GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel Blueberry Pomegranate 2x Caffeine and this is a great gel.

My absolute favorite gel! Glad it passed the test.

Once again, keep up the great running.

Question? Is the rod permanent? Just curious.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:
Tried the GU Energy GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel Blueberry Pomegranate 2x Caffeine and this is a great gel.

My absolute favorite gel! Glad it passed the test.

Once again, keep up the great running.

Question? Is the rod permanent? Just curious.
No problem you can.ask.any.question. it can be taken out but they will only do it if its causing a problem or pain. I think I'm starting ito get my old self back. It's now see if that's true with speed work.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Mon May 07, 2012 2:50 am

70 miles for the weekl after Saturdays race. New high since my recovery.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 am

Wonderful job on the running. Quite amazing!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Good run today for 9.12 miles at an overall 6:58 pace in 1:03. Felt really good on a more uphill course to FootHill and Gathe Rd. than back on Lincoln Rd. down Benton st. Then back on Main St.

Good Splits to end 6:54, 6:58, 6:51, 6:41, 6:33.

My son woke up with a swollen eye and part of the face today so I had to take him to the Children's Clinic. His eye got some type of irritation where he has to put drops in his eye for the next few days. I coach his baseball team so I don't know if he will be able to play tonight.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon May 07, 2012 6:00 pm

9 degrees! Wow you are doing so heavenly well!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next