365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heartland 50 mile race report

+16
Nick Morris
fostever
Mark B
Jack_Scaff
Jerry
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
amyjoann
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Jeff F
Alex Kubacki
jon c
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heartland 50 mile race report Empty Heartland 50 mile race report

Post  jon c Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Heartland 50 report: Sat. evening 6pm October 8, 2011

The formatting here will be problematic, so I will apologize in advance for that.

This was my second attempt at this race. Last year I had dropped due to lack of fueling properly and being mentally defeated as I look back on it. So I decided that I needed to come back and finish the race. In addition, I had a buddy who we have met up with all over the country that had decided to do his first 100 miler here so that was enough motivation to come here again.

The Heartland course is in a region called the Flint Hills which is primarily a tallgrass prairie used for rangeland. The roads we ran on were mostly gravel, but the gravel referred to was mostly the native rock and was generally larger than the gravel most of us are used to that live in rural areas. The soil is very rocky and thus there were rock outcroppings in a lot of places. It is a rather unforgiving terrain although I am sure trail races in the mountains are much more difficult in that way. I used trail shoes in the race and was not near as sore in the feet as last year.

We drove in Friday evening after school and got in about 8 or so. Touched base with my friends Jeff and Linda and they were not getting in until midnight. The 100 miler started at 6am so it would be a short night for him. The start of the 50 miler had been changed to 6pm this year and the race director was hoping for good feedback as this was the first time it had been attempted to run it at night. The weather was going to potentially be dicey due to a storm front that had been predicted to set up just west of the area. Most forecasts said that the bulk of the rain would stay west 50-100 miles but that there was still a chance that it could get into the area. There was also strong south winds gusting up to 40mph that had been blowing the last few days also.

We got up Sat. AM and decided to touch base with Linda so we could all meet Jeff (100 miler) at the 25 mile mark. This would also be a test run for Connie to find her way to the aid stations at night. We went out and found Jeff, chatted for a bit and saw him off, checked out the aid station, Hannah picked some prairie flowers and watched a few horses that were grazing nearby and then we headed back to our hotel which was about 25 miles away. Ate an early supper, and made final preparations with drop bags and all the accessories that I had decided to bring with me. Headed back to Cassoday to pick up my race packet and get ready to go. In the meantime, the rain showers had entered the area and had dropped some rain, but not heavy and no lightning or thunder had made an appearance. After the showers passed, the wind died down almost completely. It was kind of uncanny. The skies were mostly cloudy for the start with temps in the mid 60s. It looked as though more rain showers were likely to move in.

We got off right at 6 and started into what would be a short 90 window of daylight. The first six miles or so were flat terrain and then the ups and downs of the hills began. First aid station at mile 8 went quickly. I had planned to average about 9:30 minute miles and then start my uphill walking when the terrain dictated. That was another mistake I had made the previous year was running up almost all the hills until I fizzled out. Another sidebar here was I had brought my portable satellite radio and was anxious to hear the NU-Ohio State game during the run. So I got it up and going and it worked great. As it turned dark, you could see the clouds and the moonlight was filtering down through some of them so there was some slight visibility which helped. Of course having a headlamp was pretty critical as the roads were uneven and rocky. Interestingly, I did not come close to falling and only attempted to turn my ankle about four times which is not a too uncommon occurrence so I was thankful for that. I started eating right away and making sure I drank frequently. I carried a belt with a couple six oz. water bottles in addition to another belt in which food and radio, ipod were toted.

The major hills began in earnest after the first aid station. It felt strange walking up them at times but I knew it was for the best. The next manned aid station came up close to mile 17. I met Connie and Hannah there, grabbed some salt and potatoes, some extra fluids and was off again. The roads were a little better in this stretch as during the steeper hills the roads were more primitive and rougher. The terrain was still rolling and it was during this section that I happened to be looking down and spotted a spotted salamander that was just sitting in the road enjoying the moonlight. During the first couple hours it was showering lightly off and on. After about mile 12 they stopped and that was the last of the rain for the race. In addition, the wind stayed very light, at times almost calm. A vehicle with some race officials passed by at about mile 15 who were in the process of tying glow sticks to tree branches or fence posts so we could still see we were on the right roads.

OK so back to the next 8 mile section… at this point the game was getting a little more exciting as NU was making their comeback. By the way, I had sold the tickets I had to this game which I had not really wanted to do. The good news was the sale of the two tickets pretty much paid for this trip in its entirety. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me that people were willing to pay so much for the tickets. As for running, it seemed to be going smoothly and I was starting to see some of the leading 100 milers on their way back. Around the 22 mile mark, imagine my surprise when I came up on two or three cattle that had decided to come visit the road. These were black in color so I didn’t see them right up until I came up on them. You could see the lights of the aid station starting a couple miles away as the terrain in this section was fairly even with a few bumps.

So I met with Connie and Hannah at the halfway point. I ate some more potatoes and salt, drank some Coke and decided that I was going to use the port o potty. Some of the food I had been eating was not agreeing with me. And of course the transition of the body in that segment of any distance race is always an adjustment, no matter how many races you have run. You mainly get used to it to some degree. So after a bit of a delay at the aid station, I left with my time being about 4:30. I was buoyed by seeing Connie and Hannah, by the Huskers pulling the game out in a pretty unbelievable fashion and the quick energy of the Coke. This was also tempered by the fact that I was only halfway there and the next section was the one where I lost it last year. At about mile 28 I attempted to eat something and wash it down and immediately my body told me that I was going to have to find somewhere to deposit more than what I did at the aid station. Of course at night it’s no problem to pull off to the side and let it go. Kind of made me wonder how the rest of the night was going to go. I had been eating some Clif bars but I think the roughage in them along with gu’s combined to make my system rebel. Anyhow, I moved on and determined that the next aid station I would do some clothes changing.
The following eight miles went better than they did last year. It was cooler at night, I had walked up the steepest portion of the hills, and it was less windy. So I was able to keep going. At the next aid station, I changed shorts, socks, dumped a few loose gravel pieces out of my shoes, changed batteries as a precaution for my headlamp. Kept on eating what I could and soon bid Connie farewell. Hannah had finally wore out and was sleeping in the back of the car as expected. It was midnight after all.

The next section was going to be the toughest as this was the hilly part. My watch said it was going on low battery so I shut off the timing portion at about 35 miles and went back to actual time since I knew we started at six. I had long abandoned the idea of nine hour finish and knew what I really needed to do was finish. I would pass a few runners here and there and they would pass me. The hundred mile runners were a sight to behold. It really is another world going that distance. I can’t imagine doing it so my hat is off to them. I told Connie as I left the aid station that I figured on walking quite a bit so to try to get some rest. I met with another 50 miler named Kirby. He and I walked together for a while before striking up a conversation. His legs were shot, my stomach was still a bit unsettled so we determined to walk a lot of the hills with a little downhill running. A funny thing happened during this stretch. My stomach settled down and my legs pretty much felt OK when I did run. We decided to stick it out together and would attempt running more when we came out of the hills. So we slugged out the miles walking, visiting at times and then running downhill from time to time.

After what seemed like forever, we finally hit the final manned aid station before the final eight miles. We did not spend a lot of time there but fueled up a bit more and began walking up the final ascent to the top of the final hill. At that point, we decided to run a bit. Kirby’s legs weren’t cooperating too well so we began walking again. At this point I could feel that my legs could tolerate running OK, but I decided that Kirby and I were going to stick it out and finish together. He was about 20 years younger than I but we found we both have third graders. Who would have thought that? Honestly I felt like I could have run quite a bit more the last eight miles, but I was so thankful to have had another runner there to help me through the rough area that I felt it was more important to support him when his legs were failing and get him to the finish. All the doubles and mileage I did really paid off as my legs felt fine at the end, at least as much as could be expected given the distance of the race.

The last two miles I finally convinced him to give it a try and we ran the last stretch and survived it OK. Time was around 10:22 or 23 not sure as I was looking at the time on my watch saying 4:22. There was a group of crews waiting for their runners that would cheer any time someone finished. Connie met me at the finish line which was wonderful especially since I needed a ride back to the hotel. Haha! After grabbing a hamburger and a Coke we headed back to the hotel. Once there I quickly showered, tried to sleep and then got up at 9:30 to check out and get to the finish to see Jeff complete his 100. He did it! I was so thrilled to be there to see it happen. Jeff and Linda have been real supporters of our racing and opened up their home to us on more than one occasion when racing in the Dallas area. And I was glad to hear that Mr. Matt made a guest appearance on the course and got to catch up with Jeff and Linda a bit. Sorry we missed seeing you Matt. We’ll catch you at another venue hopefully in the near future.

This is a well organized race from top to bottom. I would recommend it heartily especially for someone starting out and wanting to get into ultras. The aid station workers were awesome and there is plenty of variety of food and drink available. I did not mind running at night as much as I thought I might. Did not get sleepy at all which was something I had wondered about. In fact I had a hard time sleeping at all after getting back in.

To summarize, getting through the mile 33-42 section was the hardest part for me. I found that once I began to walk my body recovered somewhat through that process which freed me to run later in the race and I was convinced I could have run quite a bit more, but felt I would put that aside for the greater good of helping a fellow runner who had helped me more than he probably even imagines. Another factor was that if it had been raining like it did about an hour west, the conditions would have been much different. So we were spared that and were treated to a quiet nearly calm peaceful evening.

As for my recovery so far, I can say I am no more or less sore than after a marathon run with effort, so training seemed to pay off in that respect. I was very sleepy yesterday but was able to drive home. Today I am still sleepy but as the week goes on, it should get better in that regard.

I would be remiss if I did not thank Connie and Hannah for putting up with all of this. They have been my support time and again and it’s hard to express adequately what all it means to me. Let’s just say that my life would be very different and less colorful without them. Thanks for everything you all do for me. Mostly thanks for being who you both are. I truly love you both and appreciate what you do unconditionally!

I would be happy to answer any questions any of you all might have. Thanks for all the 365 runners support through all of this. It really is helpful.

Last edited by jon c on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Heartland 50 mile race report Empty Re: Heartland 50 mile race report

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Great report Jon. Just an amazing accomplishment. Congrats. I was flipping back and forth between Michigan NW and Nebraska OSU and couldn't believe they were coming. So that was the icing on the cake for you.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Jon, great race report. I have never raced at night but I would bet it would be somewhat surreal given the other things we experience in a long race.

p.s. I bet listening to the Husker game was a great distraction; I watched it on TV and really got excited when they started their comeback.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Great job and great report Jon. You obviously learned from your first try at it, and it looks like your strategy for fueling and walking the hills was spot on. It looks like a great race. Congratulations on a great ultra.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Wonderful report to read. Did not see this on the calendar. Superb job and might fast time. Seems like you worked it out very well!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 pm

what a great accomplishment! Recover well one day I would like to attempt 50 myself
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks for the report Jon - sounds like a great experience and a great redemption for you over last year!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Nice write up!
My first 50 miler is coming in August - I am excited and just a little terrified!
I may have questions for you about your experiences and suggestions for this distance.
Congratulations!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Great report, Jon. Yes this is one I may be interested in but I am thinking I should do some shorter trail races first, do you think? Right now considering the Chicago Lakefront 50/50 50 miler.

Congratulations! That was a lot of training, a hot and humid summer and everything else and you do it! Major accomplishment.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Wow, what an incredible feat (or feet). Congrats, Jon!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am

Fantastic. You should be proud to slay that devil on the 2nd try!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 am

Congratulations Jon!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 am

Amazing stuff - well done, Jon.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Wonderful report, Jon. Congratulations on the 50-miler.

I'm glad that the wandering cattle didn't mind the company out there.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Wow, good job on the 50 miler, what a test! My Buckeyes are having a rough year, kudos to those Huskers. I went to bed at half time.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great report Jon. Just an amazing accomplishment. Congrats. I was flipping back and forth between Michigan NW and Nebraska OSU and couldn't believe they were coming. So that was the icing on the cake for you.

Thanks Alex! Michigan is a lot tougher on defense than anyone expected. Interesting game this week coming up. Also, thanks for your encouragement and support along the way.

Jeff F wrote:Jon, great race report. I have never raced at night but I would bet it would be somewhat surreal given the other things we experience in a long race.

p.s. I bet listening to the Husker game was a great distraction; I watched it on TV and really got excited when they started their comeback.

Running at night was different, but since the weather turned out great it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be.

Seth Harrison wrote:Great job and great report Jon. You obviously learned from your first try at it, and it looks like your strategy for fueling and walking the hills was spot on. It looks like a great race. Congratulations on a great ultra.

Thanks Seth! We all seem to learn best in life through attrition or mistakes, not sure why that is, but it seems to be universal.

Kenny B. wrote:Wonderful report to read. Did not see this on the calendar. Superb job and might fast time. Seems like you worked it out very well!

Thanks Kenny! I have enjoyed reading about your journey as well. Incidently I don't consider my time as fast, but I was very happy to finish this time around.

amyjoann wrote:what a great accomplishment! Recover well one day I would like to attempt 50 myself

Thank you! If you have any questions regarding ultra training or the logistics of preparing, I would be happy to help in what ways I can to support your goal. Running a 50 miler is a completely different animal than a marathon or even a 50K.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:22 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Thanks for the report Jon - sounds like a great experience and a great redemption for you over last year!!!
Thanks John! I have appreciated all your support throughout this process.

charles.moman wrote:Nice write up!
My first 50 miler is coming in August - I am excited and just a little terrified!
I may have questions for you about your experiences and suggestions for this distance.
Congratulations!

Charles, I would be happy to contribute what I can when the time comes. Thanks for your comment!

Julie wrote:Great report, Jon. Yes this is one I may be interested in but I am thinking I should do some shorter trail races first, do you think? Right now considering the Chicago Lakefront 50/50 50 miler.

Congratulations! That was a lot of training, a hot and humid summer and everything else and you do it! Major accomplishment.
Thanks Julie! You are such an encouragement to all of us here on 365. I am sure that a Chicago run would be a good choice, perhaps I may look at it as an option for the future

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Wow, what an incredible feat (or feet). Congrats, Jon!
Thanks Michele! Your running is inspiring to all of us as well!

mountandog wrote:Fantastic. You should be proud to slay that devil on the 2nd try!!

Thanks! I was happy to finish although if I hadn't it wouldn't have been the end of the world. A lot more things are more important to me than this. It is a fun hobby...kind of.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:25 am

Jerry wrote:Congratulations Jon!

Thanks Jerry!

Jack_Scaff wrote:Amazing stuff - well done, Jon.

Thanks Jack! Appreciate your reading the report!

Mark B wrote:Wonderful report, Jon. Congratulations on the 50-miler.

I'm glad that the wandering cattle didn't mind the company out there.

Mark, cattle get out pretty routinely in rural areas. Makes one think to drive slower at night anyway! Thanks for reading.

fostever wrote:Wow, good job on the 50 miler, what a test! My Buckeyes are having a rough year, kudos to those Huskers. I went to bed at half time.

Yeah, OSU is having a tough year and the NU didn't help. I have no doubt they'll be back after a year or two.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and kind words. They are greatly appreciated!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 am

Jon if you ran that on a flat road type course like Chicago Lakefront what kind of time do you think you would have finished in?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am

That would be awesome to see both Jon and Alex at Lakefront in 2013....just an idea. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:58 am

That's awesome Jon!! Way to redeem yourself...Hope that your recovery goes well!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Jon if you ran that on a flat road type course like Chicago Lakefront what kind of time do you think you would have finished in?

That's kind of hard to say as I didn't have a watch that was working to gauge my walking speed. I would say that nine hours would not be an unrealistic goal if I got my digestive issues ironed out and could keep my walking to a minimum.

Julie wrote:That would be awesome to see both Jon and Alex at Lakefront in 2013....just an idea. Very Happy
Who knows what the future holds?

Nick Morris wrote:That's awesome Jon!! Way to redeem yourself...Hope that your recovery goes well!!
Thanks Nick! Glad you had a good day on your run as well.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Great achievement! Congrats.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Great report! I absolutely loved reading this. The way you wrote about it made it seem so serene and peaceful out there at night.

Congratulation on this major accomplishment. Impressive indeed.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:04 am

Randy E wrote:Great achievement! Congrats.

Thanks Randy!

Sara Jane wrote:Great report! I absolutely loved reading this. The way you wrote about it made it seem so serene and peaceful out there at night.

Congratulation on this major accomplishment. Impressive indeed.

Thanks Sara Jane! We were truly blessed with a nearly calm, serene evening. The afternoon before and by the time we went out to see my friend finish his 100 in the morning, the south winds had kicked up again and were gusty. So we were fortunate in that respect. It could have also been a muddy quagmire also with the rain staying to the west.

Thanks for reading the report!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next