365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking Away

+38
charles.moman
Dave P
T Miller
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
jon c
Penelope
Ken Mello
JohnP
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Diego
Glenn
ChasMcG
wendy_miller
Neil Ruggiero
Tom H
KathyK
Natalie
Tea from RonItch
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
KBFitz
Schuey
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Michael Mitchell
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
42 posters

Page 3 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

Breaking Away - Page 3 Empty Re: Breaking Away

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 am

Why not order a bunch from Zappos return the ones that don't work for your or road runner sports which has a 30 or 60 day return policy even if you run in them! Just a suggestion!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Why not order a bunch from Zappos return the ones that don't work for your or road runner sports which has a 30 or 60 day return policy even if you run in them! Just a suggestion!

Well.... I suppose I could do that. But it's more fun tormenting a shoe salesperson. Twisted Evil

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Mark B wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:Why not order a bunch from Zappos return the ones that don't work for your or road runner sports which has a 30 or 60 day return policy even if you run in them! Just a suggestion!

Well.... I suppose I could do that. But it's more fun tormenting a shoe salesperson. Twisted Evil

Haha! Nice Razz

We like runningwarehouse a lot too. They have a free 2 day shipping and then if you're unhappy, they pay for return shipping.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Mark B wrote:I never thought I'd be starting a new blog so soon. Oh well, the old title was a little wordy...

Here's the intro in a nutshell: After eight road marathons with varying degrees of success and mounting burnout, I decided to break away from my old regimented training approach and find out what happens when I simply run (or should that be, run simply?). I've sworn off road marathons for the time being, shelved my Garmin and started doing more of my runs on trails. So far, so good.

I haven't set hard-and-fast goals for myself, though I just ran a 25k trail race in the Columbia River Gorge and have signed up to join Tim and Wendy Miller at the Tecumseh Trail Marathon in December. I'd like to try working up gradually to a 50k and eventually a 50-miler.

I hope you'll join follow me on this journey. It should be a lot of fun.

I did my first trail 5K in April and it was so much fun. It was challanging and adventurous! I'm hooked! I can't wait to follow your training. Like always, I'll probably flood you with a billion questions on technique. bounce
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Haha! Nice Razz

We like runningwarehouse a lot too. They have a free 2 day shipping and then if you're unhappy, they pay for return shipping.

Good tip, Lisa. I'm such a challenging fit (my size varies from 10 to 11 depending on the shape of the last and some shoes just don't fit no matter what), that I'd need to order three sizes of every type of shoe I wanted to try... and I don't think my credit card would appreciate the initial hit even if I did return most of the shoes! But places like that are a great option once I find the model and size that's best for me. I've used holabirdsports before, too.

ChasMcG wrote:
Mark B wrote:I never thought I'd be starting a new blog so soon. Oh well, the old title was a little wordy...

Here's the intro in a nutshell: After eight road marathons with varying degrees of success and mounting burnout, I decided to break away from my old regimented training approach and find out what happens when I simply run (or should that be, run simply?). I've sworn off road marathons for the time being, shelved my Garmin and started doing more of my runs on trails. So far, so good.

I haven't set hard-and-fast goals for myself, though I just ran a 25k trail race in the Columbia River Gorge and have signed up to join Tim and Wendy Miller at the Tecumseh Trail Marathon in December. I'd like to try working up gradually to a 50k and eventually a 50-miler.

I hope you'll join follow me on this journey. It should be a lot of fun.

I did my first trail 5K in April and it was so much fun. It was challanging and adventurous! I'm hooked! I can't wait to follow your training. Like always, I'll probably flood you with a billion questions on technique. bounce

Hey, Chas! Trails are a lot of fun. In a way, it's like starting all over again. Which means I get to learn from a whole new bunch of stupid mistakes! I'll be happy and proud to serve as your crash test dummy. geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Breaking Away - Page 3 Empty trails

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Man, I am really getting jealous of you guys with your trails. All I have is a bunch of relatively flat and HOT roads to run on! Sounds like a blast. I wonder if I could pull off a trail run with basically no trail running training?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Man, I am really getting jealous of you guys with your trails. All I have is a bunch of relatively flat and HOT roads to run on! Sounds like a blast. I wonder if I could pull off a trail run with basically no trail running training?

I bet you could, John. Are there any agricultural areas near where you live? You might run on some dirt roads, or even through some friendly farmers' fields?

Short of that, a weekly drive to a woodsy area isn't the worst thing in the world. I have to drive about 20-30 minutes to get to a really good trail around here.

You could also get in touch with these people to see if they have suggestions. Georgia Ultrarunning & Trailrunning Society
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Trail shoes are nice to have, especially if there are lots of sharp stones on your trail. Can save the bottom of your foot!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:Trail shoes are nice to have, especially if there are lots of sharp stones on your trail. Can save the bottom of your foot!

Good point, Natalie. But it's a big IF.

I was at the local running shoe store today -- and somewhat unimpressed with the selection and knowledge of what's billed as a great trail running shoe store -- when my latent Scot (read: cheapskate) tendencies came bubbling out and I decided on the spot that I don't really need to fork out the $$$ for trail shoes right now.

It's not just me being a tightwad. The chances of me running in terrain as extreme as what I ran in two Sundays ago is incredibly small. I can get by with Frees on all the other trails I use around here -- and probably even Tecumseh.

As for wiping my feet out on the downhills, well... it just shows I need to practice more on steep downhills. No fancy shoe is ever going to make up for poor technique and insufficiently conditioned feet and ankle muscles.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: steep downhills... You and me both, Mark. Crazy how much time the "pros" can bank by just opening up and screaming down those crazy descents.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Re: steep downhills... You and me both, Mark. Crazy how much time the "pros" can bank by just opening up and screaming down those crazy descents.

Yup. I thought I was good at downhills until I saw what they were doing. Yipes!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 am

Mark B wrote:
Natalie Wolf wrote:Trail shoes are nice to have, especially if there are lots of sharp stones on your trail. Can save the bottom of your foot!

I was at the local running shoe store today -- and somewhat unimpressed with the selection and knowledge of what's billed as a great trail running shoe store -- when my latent Scot (read: cheapskate) tendencies came bubbling out and I decided on the spot that I don't really need to fork out the $$$ for trail shoes right now.

It's not just me being a tightwad. The chances of me running in terrain as extreme as what I ran in two Sundays ago is incredibly small. I can get by with Frees on all the other trails I use around here -- and probably even Tecumseh.

As for wiping my feet out on the downhills, well... it just shows I need to practice more on steep downhills. No fancy shoe is ever going to make up for poor technique and insufficiently conditioned feet and ankle muscles.

Mark, not to be the anti-Scot, but your feet are pretty important to running and you need to protect them. I have a friend who did a mix of road and trail running all in his road shoes, stepped on a pointy rock and ended up with a metatarsal fracture that put him out for many, many weeks. I guess my point is that it doesn't have to be a really extreme trail, just the wrong rock at the wrong time. I love the joy I see when I read you blog and don't want anything to get in the way of future posts!!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 am

Tom H wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Mark, not to be the anti-Scot, but your feet are pretty important to running and you need to protect them. I have a friend who did a mix of road and trail running all in his road shoes, stepped on a pointy rock and ended up with a metatarsal fracture that put him out for many, many weeks. I guess my point is that it doesn't have to be a really extreme trail, just the wrong rock at the wrong time. I love the joy I see when I read you blog and don't want anything to get in the way of future posts!!

Acch! Laddie! (Sorry, my Willie the Groundskeeper imitation skills stop there. Wink )

A metatarsal fracture sounds painful! (I did a calcaneal-cuboid joint fracture once, and that hurt like the dickens.) The last thing I want to do is bust up my feet... but I'd have to find a shoe that works for me first. A lot of trail shoes are so overbuilt (read: high off the ground) that my risk of injury through twisted ankle would counterbalance the risk of rock damage to the sole.

I'll keep looking, and I'll eventually get something, but it'll take longer than I thought. (I'd thought the New Balance MT101s would be good, until I tried them on and noticed that, when I got my foot on a slope, my toes slid forward into the end of the shoes. Not a good thing.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 am

Easy Run: 3 miles

Weather: Foggy?!?! Mild. 54 degrees, 98% humidity. Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fuel: Nada. Took a couple of endurolytes and carried nuun. (overkill much?)

After paying the price for getting carried away last week, I knew I had to take it easy this morning. My goal was to do 3-5 miles on what I was expecting to be a nice, clear and bright morning. What I got was fog. In June? Weird!

The run was decidedly so-so. The first mile was challenging as I worked the kinks out, and I pretty quickly decided that 3 was going to be enough. I walked a few times, erring on the side of caution, and got home a lot earlier than planned. At this point, though, it's better to do too little than too much, I suppose.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

Mark B wrote:Easy Run: 3 miles

At this point, though, it's better to do too little than too much, I suppose.

Nice job!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 am

Kenny B. wrote:

Nice job!

Thanks, Kenny. I need to find out if my feet are speaking to me yet. Shocked
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Mark B wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Nice job!

As long as they are not barking at you!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Waitwaitwait, you guys don't get June gloom up there? So we've found southern California's achilles, it seems... Good job taking it easy and just listening to your body. I have a feeling that's a lot easier (and more satisfying) when you're not trying to "beat" the Garmin.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Nice job!

As long as they are not barking at you!

Not yet! I guess sneaking some exercise is working so far. Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed!

Mike MacLellan wrote:Waitwaitwait, you guys don't get June gloom up there? So we've found southern California's achilles, it seems... Good job taking it easy and just listening to your body. I have a feeling that's a lot easier (and more satisfying) when you're not trying to "beat" the Garmin.

Well... we don't get true summer weather here until after July 4th, but no.. we don't get the joy that is the Southern California marine layer. I still remember the sweetest words you could hear on June 21... "Clearing to the coast by noon." Smile

Not "beating" the Garmin is a very good thing, but right now all I'm trying to do is to not beat up my body!

One quick related note: I bought Matt Fitzgerald's "Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running By Feel" thinking it'd help be get a better sense of running without external validation, be it time or heart rate. Well... it turns out that really isn't what the book is about. It's about teaching your brain and body to accept a greater degree of suffering so you can run even faster in races.

Uh, that might be great for some folks, but that's the opposite of where I want to be at this point. My whole goal has been to get off the giant hamster wheel of "achievement" and learn how to enjoy running again.

Needless to say, I ended up tossing the book (which is really poorly written, IMO) in a fit of disgust.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Mark B wrote:
John Kilpatrick wrote:Man, I am really getting jealous of you guys with your trails. All I have is a bunch of relatively flat and HOT roads to run on! Sounds like a blast. I wonder if I could pull off a trail run with basically no trail running training?

I bet you could, John. Are there any agricultural areas near where you live? You might run on some dirt roads, or even through some friendly farmers' fields?

Short of that, a weekly drive to a woodsy area isn't the worst thing in the world. I have to drive about 20-30 minutes to get to a really good trail around here.

You could also get in touch with these people to see if they have suggestions. Georgia Ultrarunning & Trailrunning Society

I would love to join you (some day) for a trail run. It is really cool to see your enthusiasm with running back to full bore - sounds like you found a real niche. Being off the grid has its merits!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I would love to join you (some day) for a trail run. It is really cool to see your enthusiasm with running back to full bore - sounds like you found a real niche. Being off the grid has its merits!

You're on, John. It would be a blast, and there are plenty of trails that don't include the risk of falling off a cliff. Smile

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 pm

So far, so good.

I was purposefully conservative yesterday, doing only 3 miles, after my still-weakened feet complained mightily after 7-miler last week. There wasn't a peep of complaint after yesterday's run. Whew!

Today's run won't be until this afternoon (a rarity for me), when I head over to Beaverton for some dynamic testing at Nike. These afternoon sessions always end up being a bit like speedwork - I don't want to fall too far behind the speedy youngsters - so it'll end up being a good workout.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Mark B wrote:So far, so good.

I was purposefully conservative yesterday, doing only 3 miles, after my still-weakened feet complained mightily after 7-miler last week. There wasn't a peep of complaint after yesterday's run. Whew!

Today's run won't be until this afternoon (a rarity for me), when I head over to Beaverton for some dynamic testing at Nike. These afternoon sessions always end up being a bit like speedwork - I don't want to fall too far behind the speedy youngsters - so it'll end up being a good workout.

Glad the 3 went well.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Mark! Found your new blog finally. I thought I looked here, but didn't see it until today.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Glenn wrote:Mark! Found your new blog finally. I thought I looked here, but didn't see it until today.

Huzzah! Welcome, Glenn! cheers
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 30  Next