365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what temperature do you race in tights?

+21
ounce
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Nick Morris
Liz R
mountandog
carleenp
Jenny O
JohnP
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Glenn
Julie
Jerry
Mark B
Admin
Diego
Bob
T Miller
Sara Jane
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

At what temperature do you race in tights? Empty At what temperature do you race in tights?

Post  Sara Jane Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 am

It's looking like NYC might be a chilly one - not complaining, I much prefer the cold! I am a naturally warm person when I run - so I like to wear as little as is possible. But I am having a hard time wrapping my head around when I might really want to consider wearing tights for 26.2. I wear raceready fitness shorts when I do marathons (the bike-type shorts)...and they sell tights too - so I would have to order them soon - and break them in on a shorter run (this doesn't really bother me since I wear their shorts and assume the material is similar)...

That said, I would prefer to wear shorts. So, just out of curiosity (I know it's a personal choice, just wondering what others do) - when do you wear more than shorts on your legs for a cooler weather marathon? Right now looking like the low will be in the high 40s, high will be in the low 50s. Maybe rain. I have been training in about the same temps in capris - but I am not out there for 4 hours or trying to make my legs go at MP for that long.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

At what temperature do you race in tights? Empty Re: At what temperature do you race in tights?

Post  T Miller Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:04 am

Hi SJ, for me it has to be below 30.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

At what temperature do you race in tights? Empty Re: At what temperature do you race in tights?

Post  Bob Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 am

Yep, agree with Tim. 30 degrees is my dividing line of shorts to tights. Training or racing.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:53 am

I don't think the legs ever really mind the cold when you are racing unless there's a nasty wind chill. I'd go with the RR shorts that you have always used and maybe some arm warmers. With all the buildings in NY, I would think that only the bridge crossings would be cold.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am

Rule of thumb is dress 10 degrees warmer. Once you start generating body heat you won't feel the cold on your legs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 am

I've gotten down to freezing at the start of the race, and shorts felt fine. Put the extra insulation on the top half and make sure it's something you don't love, so you can ditch it after you completely warm up.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Awesome guys, thanks! Good tips!

I wish I had some arm-warmers - a friend of mine said she buys cheap tube socks and cuts a thumb hole...then she can throw them without it being a waste.

Anyone ever try that? Or are there disposable arm warmers out there (like the cheap gloves)?
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Mark B wrote:I've gotten down to freezing at the start of the race, and shorts felt fine. Put the extra insulation on the top half and make sure it's something you don't love, so you can ditch it after you completely warm up.

No worries, I am bringing an entire wardrobe of throwaways, including a HUGE, thick fleece blanket, to spend my time on the island. Smile People always complain about it - but I did this last time and was way cozy. I remember wearing a long sleeve last time and thinking I would have it on for a while - but ditched it on the bridge. That immediate hill does get the blood flowing.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

I've tried the socks, just regular man's dress socks(you know I am short, right?) that I don't need any more. Can't be cheaper than that.

Just remember to make a cut on the small end so that you can really pull them over the watch when you want to. I was stuck with them one time. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Jerry wrote:I've tried the socks, just regular man's dress socks(you know I am short, right?) that I don't need any more. Can't be cheaper than that.

Just remember to make a cut on the small end so that you can really pull them over the watch when you want to. I was stuck with them one time. Very Happy

Interesting point. And I want to wear throwaway gloves, too (I have tons of those, they always give them away at races here in MD). How does that work? Maybe just got the whole end off and pull the socks above the watch, and have the gloves on too?
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Sara Jane wrote:
Jerry wrote:I've tried the socks, just regular man's dress socks(you know I am short, right?) that I don't need any more. Can't be cheaper than that.

Interesting point. And I want to wear throwaway gloves, too (I have tons of those, they always give them away at races here in MD). How does that work? Maybe just got the whole end off and pull the socks above the watch, and have the gloves on too?

You can take off the glove, pull out the sock, then put the glove back on. I would do it on the hill when I slow down. I like to take gels on the hill for the same reason too. Anyway, you won't lose much time.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Jerry wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:

You can take off the glove, pull out the sock, then put the glove back on. I would do it on the hill when I slow down. I like to take gels on the hill for the same reason too. Anyway, you won't lose much time.

Still confused as to how you see your watch...
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Sara Jane wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:

Still confused as to how you see your watch...

Oh, you said it, cut one end of the socks and put it above the watch.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm

It has to be below 30 for me to wear pants. I would hate to be stuck wearing pants if it warmed up 3-4 hrs into a marathon just when I'm especially tired anyway. I've taken short socks over my hands for throw away gloves at the start of 2 races so far.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Minimum temps in the 40s? - I might wear pants for an easy run (nowhere near race pace) in 40 degree temps. For a race that's going to get into the 50s later - No way.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm

I've never raced a marathon in tights, but the coldest one I have ever run was last year at RtB when it was 32F at the start. It was 50F by race end. I wore shorts, a singlet, arm warmers and gloves. I was warm by mile 0.5.

And I do hope NYC is a cold one and not a hot one.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Sara Jane wrote:Awesome guys, thanks! Good tips!

I wish I had some arm-warmers - a friend of mine said she buys cheap tube socks and cuts a thumb hole...then she can throw them without it being a waste.

Anyone ever try that? Or are there disposable arm warmers out there (like the cheap gloves)?

Sara Jane, you get an inexpensive pair of arm warmers ($15) at any running store. I used them for part of Boston earlier this year, and then threw them away. I just bought another pair that I'll wear if I have to in Philly next month. As for throwaway clothes, I always make a trip to KMart before a marathon and buy cheap sweatpants, sweatshirt, gloves and hat.

To you original question, it would have to be mighty cold for me to consider wearing running pants for a marathon. You may be cold at the start and for the first couple of miles, but I think you'll definitely regret not wearing shorts by mile 4 or 5.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:03 pm

For the most part anything under 35. But wind has a big factor!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Target what the last half of the race will be, not the start, to decide what to wear. There should be $10 arm warmers available at the expo too.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:31 pm

SJ, you could also buy one of these sleevy blanket things to stay warm during the wait.

At what temperature do you race in tights? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBjUebEQAUbmFRa3eh1jvY46G__nFYGJeI7ggFjvTThSrkKH3sDWeDWw

I bought arm warmers at the 2009 Chicago expo and wore them for the race. I just tucked them behind me when it warmed up a bit on the final stretch.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny O Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:24 pm

I'd go with shorts, short sleeves, gloves & arm warmers. I just bought a pair of armwarmers at the Hartford Marathon expo for $10. They had the same ones at the NYC expo last year for $15. I think they're worth it, although have seen plenty of people doing the sock thing. Last year at NYC I ended up keeping the armwarmers on the whole time (I think it may have been just a bit colder than the temps you're looking at)
Jenny O
Jenny O

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 pm

I start wearing tights around 40 or so. Actually, I like to wear capris in the 40s and tights in the 30s. I have race ready tights and they are a bit on the heavier side too, so I don't think I would wear them above 40 degrees.

My arms always get cold though. I'll wear a long sleeve shirt at 50-55, as long as I can easily push the sleeves up if I get warm.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:49 pm

35 unless its windy.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 pm

If you think it will feel cold at the start while waiting around, then just do the garbage bag trick. Take a large plastic garbage bag and cut a hole in the bottom for your head and on the sides for your arms. Put it on upside down at the start while you're waiting around. It traps body heat and blocks wind! You can just tear it off right before the start, or wear it for a mile or two then tear it off... I've done both. Nothing better for a cheap way to stay warm!

As for arm warmers, the ONLY time I wore them I used old socks with the toe end cut out... I wore them through mile 15 then tossed them. It was a home town marathon. When I got home and stripped down, I realized that the top part of the socks had chafed me to the point that I was bleeding and raw. That shower HURT!!! Lesson learned.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 am

Again, thank for all the ideas! At what temperature do you race in tights? 424776184 Matt, you have me maybe wanting to buy those $15 arm warmers at the expo. I don't need chaffing!

As for throwaways -it's kinda funny. I actually didn't have anything, so my mom and sister are both sending me boxes filled with stuff. Some is even some tech stuff my sister got at some 5Ks that don't fit. And her teenager's nice Woolrich fleece top that he outgrew but she had in her goodwill box! So I'll be hittin' the island in style. At least it all gets donated. And it feels nice sometimes to donate some nicer stuff and not just junk you wore to death!

OK, so...note to self, check for cheap arm warmers at the expo. Now, I've never ever warn them before...ever. I know that breaks a cardinal rule, but...

So...excited. (If you can't tell!) This is marathon #6, but I don't think I've ever been excited.

At what temperature do you race in tights? 4044942068
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next