365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report

+5
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Dave-O
Nick Morris
9 posters

Go down

Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report Empty Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report

Post  Nick Morris Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 am

09.23.12 - Fox Cities Half Marathon

So, I always use the Fox Cities Half Marathon to gauge my training and fitness level. This year is a little different, as in the past my goal race is normally three weeks after this race, but this year I still have another six before I will run my goal race. The weather this year was unbelievable and reminded me a lot of Chicago 2009. Temperatures in the low 30s at start with a light cross wind to tail wind of around 8 mph. I lined up in the first row and was guaranteed a clean start, which is always key. Going into the race, my goal was to be sub 1:27:00, with a stretch goal of sub 1:26:00. I knew to be sub 1:26:00 that I was going to have to run 6:33 miles, so I started out at around that pace. I finished mile 1 at a 6:35 pace and began to settle down and fall into the race by mile two, where I ran a 6:32. Just after mile two comes the largest elevation change on the course (it is really a mole hill in comparison). When I hit the highway overpass, I shifted into another gear and the race was on. I continued to click off miles in the 6:20s, until mile 10 when I recorded my slowest mile at 6:42. I honestly don't remember what happened that mile...was it the wind??...an uphill??...not sure. But after that the last 5K was back in the lower 6:20s...When I got to the chute I could see the clock read 1:24:XX and I knew that I was going to go sub 1:25:00. I ended up crossing the finish line with a chip time of 1:24:51!! Over one minute faster than my stretch goal and around 3:30 faster than my previous HM PR (1:28:28) that I had ran there last year To top it off, I ended up finishing 19th overall out of the 2,624 finishers!! Below are my splits and HR:

Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report Splits11
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report Empty Re: Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report

Post  Dave-O Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:59 am

Just a fantastic race in all respects: Smart, even pacing, digging deep in the end, blowing away your stretch goal. If that doesn't leave you excited for your last 6 weeks of training, I don't know what will.

Congrats. And with this result, after your BQ, its time to start mapping out your sub-3 plans. For real.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report Empty Re: Fox Cities Half Marathon Race Report

Post  Jerry Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am

I can't see the splits, cause my employer seems to block them. I don't know. But if Dave said you had a smart even pacing, I would trust him.

Well done, Nick!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 am

Congrats, Nick on a real smart and well run race! You deserved it with all the hard work you have been putting inespecially in the hot weather this summer. I'd say the BQ is in the bag.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:28 am

Congrats Nick, that's a fantastic race. It was good to get to run in colder weather, it makes such an incredible difference. Glad you got the opportunity to see how you could do with that not a factor. And you still ahve six weeks to go, that's great.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Great job Nick and I can see why you like to run this race!
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Fantastic job all around! I love that you hit sub6 pace in the final sprint in. Dave's right. Go get that BQ next (YOU GOT IT!) and then join me in the Sub3 quest!!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 am

Awesome job, Nick! Way to go! I'm hoping for excellent weather for your upcoming BQ marathon!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 am

Good Job Nick, this is a great indicator of what we can expect in your upcoming marathon. Now just remember to walk the line without going over it into the red zone and become injured. Another word of advice is to watch your progress so that you don't peak too soon and fall flat on race day. Best of luck!
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 am

T Miller wrote:Good Job Nick, this is a great indicator of what we can expect in your upcoming marathon. Now just remember to walk the line without going over it into the red zone and become injured. Another word of advice is to watch your progress so that you don't peak too soon and fall flat on race day. Best of luck!

Sound advice Tim. I still have a couple tough weeks before I taper. So, I am hoping to peak at the right time.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down