365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Running Shirt Yet

+2
T Miller
Ben Z
6 posters

Go down

Best Running Shirt Yet Empty Best Running Shirt Yet

Post  Ben Z Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm starting to understand how advanced the (somewhat?) specific ultra-running clothing and gear tends to be. In addition to the North Face Better Than Naked Shorts I love so much I wanted to find a shirt that I could test out before my upcoming 50 miler.

Well I can confidently say that this is the best shirt I have ever worn on a run. And as you can probably guess, I hate wearing shirts on runs if I don't need to.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Way2Cool%E2%84%A2-S/S-T/OM5520,default,pd.html

I barely noticed the shirt was there and it did seem to keep me cooler (mostly due to it being a white shirt I think) in direct sunlight. I can probably attribute some to the 'cool' technology, but it is really comfortable and my go-to shirt now (when it's cold or hot enough).

Most ultra-runners swear by this line from Mountain Hardwear. the Pearl Izumi expensive stuff or the North Face Better Than Naked line. Yeah, it's all expensive stuff - but in this case I think you get what you pay for.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Best Running Shirt Yet Empty Re: Best Running Shirt Yet

Post  T Miller Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 am

Ben Z wrote:I'm starting to understand how advanced the (somewhat?) specific ultra-running clothing and gear tends to be. In addition to the North Face Better Than Naked Shorts I love so much I wanted to find a shirt that I could test out before my upcoming 50 miler.

Well I can confidently say that this is the best shirt I have ever worn on a run. And as you can probably guess, I hate wearing shirts on runs if I don't need to.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Way2Cool%E2%84%A2-S/S-T/OM5520,default,pd.html

I barely noticed the shirt was there and it did seem to keep me cooler (mostly due to it being a white shirt I think) in direct sunlight. I can probably attribute some to the 'cool' technology, but it is really comfortable and my go-to shirt now (when it's cold or hot enough).

Most ultra-runners swear by this line from Mountain Hardwear. the Pearl Izumi expensive stuff or the North Face Better Than Naked line. Yeah, it's all expensive stuff - but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

I love the looks of that shirt but it is a bit pricey. I was happy that my race shirt from the 50 was Mountain Hardware. I like it but the only time I've run with it so far was in the rain.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 am

T Miller wrote:

I love the looks of that shirt but it is a bit pricey. I was happy that my race shirt from the 50 was Mountain Hardware. I like it but the only time I've run with it so far was in the rain.

Agreed Tim. The only way I rationaled it was that I had not bought a running shirt in a few years. I've relied on race shirts when needed.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Thu May 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Ben Z wrote:...I've relied on race shirts when needed.
I suppose you didn't enter many races Wink
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu May 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Looks like Columbia is using the same technology in a whole line of apparel this summer:

http://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/default/Page-Show?cid=Technology_Omni-Freeze_Zero&mid=onadv&eid=website&nid=CSCUS_20130401_EORW_ESPN
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:
Ben Z wrote:...I've relied on race shirts when needed.
I suppose you didn't enter many races Wink

Very funny (but actually pretty true - I'm only doing 3-4 races/year now I'm guessing).
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm

crap Ben. You probably just cost me 65 bucks. I followed your recommendation on the shorts and love 'em. I'm gonna have to get one of these now!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 am

I'm about to order my second pair of the North Face shorts. They are freaking awesome. I don't even need body glide with those shorts. Pretty cool.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Nothing works in Texas.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Ben Z wrote:I'm about to order my second pair of the North Face shorts. They are freaking awesome. I don't even need body glide with those shorts. Pretty cool.

I wore both the naked north face singlet and shorts in Boston. I have to say that I really liked the singlet but not 100% sold on the shorts. To be honest I'm not sure if I'm sold on any of the North Face shorts. I guess I should restate this I want to wear them and like them, I like the fact that the naked shorts had the two side pockets for me to my gels. Which meant I didn't have to pin them to my shirt HUGE plus.

I guess my issue with there shorts is that the tie strings don't stay tied. I actually had to try and re-tie my shorts during boston because they came loose and the shorts felt like they were going to fall down. This happens on my other pair of north face shorts. So that really is the only minus I have on their shorts. And no if I get a smaller size they are to tight around my legs.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Schuey wrote:
Ben Z wrote:I'm about to order my second pair of the North Face shorts. They are freaking awesome. I don't even need body glide with those shorts. Pretty cool.

I wore both the naked north face singlet and shorts in Boston. I have to say that I really liked the singlet but not 100% sold on the shorts. To be honest I'm not sure if I'm sold on any of the North Face shorts. I guess I should restate this I want to wear them and like them, I like the fact that the naked shorts had the two side pockets for me to my gels. Which meant I didn't have to pin them to my shirt HUGE plus.

I guess my issue with there shorts is that the tie strings don't stay tied. I actually had to try and re-tie my shorts during boston because they came loose and the shorts felt like they were going to fall down. This happens on my other pair of north face shorts. So that really is the only minus I have on their shorts. And no if I get a smaller size they are to tight around my legs.

That's a bummer Schuey. I haven't had any issues with that myself. Not sure I could think of a solution other than to pin them to your singlet?
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Ben Z wrote:
Schuey wrote:

That's a bummer Schuey. I haven't had any issues with that myself. Not sure I could think of a solution other than to pin them to your singlet?

Haha or wear some suspenders with them.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down