365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

610 HR Monitor Strap

5 posters

Go down

610 HR Monitor Strap Empty 610 HR Monitor Strap

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am

Anyone know any tricks to keep their strap from losing the HR on a run?

I already learned that I am apparently supposed to rinse it out after every run, and hand wash it every 7 days or so. Noted.
I also apply lubricant to the pads so that they'll pick up my HR easier. That definitely helps.
But I still lose it a lot. And it's annoying when you're already being OCD enough to do low HR training.

I am going to get a new battery but have to take it to a watch shop because I can't find a screwdriver that tiny. But it doesn't seem like a battery thing.

Any other tips/suggestions?

For example: I will be trying to run at my MAF, 146...and I will look down and it'll say 119. Which clearly isn't true. It will sit there for a while and come back up eventually. Or sometimes if I mess with it a little bit (i.e., stick my hands up my shirt and reach under my sports bra) it'll come back. But I feel like it should work better than this.

OK, thanks in advance for any tips!
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

610 HR Monitor Strap Empty Re: 610 HR Monitor Strap

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Sara,

The only time my strap loses its HR is if I don't wet it slightly before a run. It seems your might be defective or your just to "dry" for it. Very Happy

I can understand your frustration with it as it sounds like the monitoring of your HR is very important to you based on your training. Have you called Garmin they are pretty good with customer service?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Sara,

The only time my strap loses its HR is if I don't wet it slightly before a run. It seems your might be defective or your just to "dry" for it. Very Happy

I can understand your frustration with it as it sounds like the monitoring of your HR is very important to you based on your training. Have you called Garmin they are pretty good with customer service?

Yeah, I called them. He's the one who asked me how often I was it? Oops. Apparently that's important.

I do wet it. I lube it with KY. Very Happy Trick I was given years ago by an old ultra pal who does lots of low-HR stuff. I remember it working well back then. So something else must be up with my strap.

It's not super duper important for my training, but it does keep me under control and at the slow pace I need to be at right now to build gradually. Hal's whole "just go by feel thing" never worked for me. And low-HR stuff has worked for me many times. Alas...I'll get it figured out! Thanks Kenny!
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Hm. When my HR strap loses contact (I use aloe vera gel for my lube.), my Garmin gives me an error on the high side, not the low side. But I think the 610's strap is different than the one on my 305. If the strap isn't too loose, I've heard that synthetic tops (and sport bras?) can have a static build-up that messes with the HR data. Might want to experiment with a cotton shirt, just to see if it makes a difference.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Mark B wrote:Hm. When my HR strap loses contact (I use aloe vera gel for my lube.), my Garmin gives me an error on the high side, not the low side. But I think the 610's strap is different than the one on my 305. If the strap isn't too loose, I've heard that synthetic tops (and sport bras?) can have a static build-up that messes with the HR data. Might want to experiment with a cotton shirt, just to see if it makes a difference.

My coach suggested aloe vera gel too. For some reason like like the looks I get when I got Walgreens and buy KY. (But seriously, it was the first thing I learned about being the best for HR monitor straps!)

Are you really suggesting I run in COTTON?!

And yes, I think the "soft strap" of the 610 is a whole other animal.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Sara Jane wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hm. When my HR strap loses contact (I use aloe vera gel for my lube.), my Garmin gives me an error on the high side, not the low side. But I think the 610's strap is different than the one on my 305. If the strap isn't too loose, I've heard that synthetic tops (and sport bras?) can have a static build-up that messes with the HR data. Might want to experiment with a cotton shirt, just to see if it makes a difference.

My coach suggested aloe vera gel too. For some reason like like the looks I get when I got Walgreens and buy KY. (But seriously, it was the first thing I learned about being the best for HR monitor straps!)

Are you really suggesting I run in COTTON?!

And yes, I think the "soft strap" of the 610 is a whole other animal.

No, SJ, I'm not trying to kill you. Really! But a SHORT run in a cotton top might help you gauge whether static electricity from your shirt is causing the problem. I wouldn't go do a 20 in it, though. (Ye-owtch!)

Have you checked the Garmin support discussion boards? You can't be the only person to have this problem.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu May 16, 2013 4:43 pm

It sounds like you're lubing it up just fine so I think it's the battery.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 pm

From the guru:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/annual-public-service-announcement-how-to-fix-heart-rate-strap-dropoutsspikes.html

Cheers.

Basically, it comes down to ensuring you have a newer strap and ideally using the specific adhesive gel he recommends.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 17, 2013 1:49 pm

They're sending me a new one. Even though it's way past my 1 year warranty. We troubleshot everything.

I love those people.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Ben Z wrote:From the guru:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/annual-public-service-announcement-how-to-fix-heart-rate-strap-dropoutsspikes.html

Cheers.

Basically, it comes down to ensuring you have a newer strap and ideally using the specific adhesive gel he recommends.

Thanks. I'm not committed enough to put adhesive on my skin. Hopefully the new one will work. He said it's a bit of a new design.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Garmin customer service rocks, no doubt about it. I hope the new band helps.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Mark B wrote:Garmin customer service rocks, no doubt about it. I hope the new band helps.

For the future... for anyone else, he mentioned a couple of other things you can do:

1. Try wearing it in a different place. Like, rotate it. I always put it smack in the middle.

2. Take the battery out (this is hard, I had to go to a jewelry store because I didn't have a screwdriver that tiny) flip it upside down (the wrong direction) and press down on it. Apparently this does some sort of reset on the band.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm

The new strap rocks, btw. For anyone having problems. A little different design - it's been flawless so far. At least from what I can tell.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down