365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treadmills

+17
Gobbles
Michele "1L" Keane
carleenp
healdgator
mul21
Michael Mitchell
Jerry
Penelope
Schuey
T Miller
Dave Bussard
Michael Enright
John Kilpatrick
Chris M
JohnP
Nick Morris
Julie
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Treadmills Empty Treadmills

Post  Julie Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 pm

John K suggested a treadmill may be a good idea for me right now and wondered what I should keep in mind when considering one. Price is a factor! But I could try to find a used one, too. What is to like or hate about them?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

erikbrown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Treadmills Empty Re: Treadmills

Post  Nick Morris Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:54 pm

I am a horrible person to ask about TMs, because I hate them with a passion Smile  But I think that Chris McKee has a lot of knowledge when it comes to TMs.  I believe there was a thread a while back that discussed TMs (types, prices, pros/cons, etc.).
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I hate them too but I might get to run more and I love running so maybe it'll balance out Very Happy  I will look for that thread.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Treadmills are your friend. They let you run when it's storming, icy, snowy, etc., outside. They let you run safely when it's dark outside. They let you run when your kids are there. They let you watch TV and especially DVDs (a lot of TV series can be watched). Treadmills let you do speedwork without worry about the heat or wind outside .

Of course, you want to run outside whenever possible but I believe that TMs are my friend and help me with running.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Good points. I love being outside and I am not worried about this taking from my outside running but I do think it's a reasonable idea. I just need to change my attitude.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm

JohnP wrote:Treadmills are your friend. They let you run when it's storming, icy, snowy, etc., outside. They let you run safely when it's dark outside. They let you run when your kids are there. They let you watch TV and especially DVDs (a lot of TV series can be watched). Treadmills let you do speedwork without worry about the heat or wind outside .

Of course, you want to run outside whenever possible but I believe that TMs are my friend and help me with running.
Everything John said.  I don't really get the hatred of mills.  Not sure what people LOVE about running outside that turns to HATE when on a mill.  Seems weird to me.  Don't get me wrong, I do prefer running outside over being on the mill.   But having the freedom to run any time of day and watch TV and not think at all about weather conditions is huge for me.  I have one at home and use one at work a lot too. I'd be dead in the water running wise without using a treadmill. 

A Craig's List ad or local classified ad might be the way to get the nicest/biggest mill you can but cheaply.  I bought a commercial mill that had been reconditioned after being used in a commercial gym.  That was a bit over the top and not needed but I would avoid the cheap ($400-$500 new) foldup ones you see at Dick's Sporting Goods and Sports Authority.  They simply won't last under any kind of regular training load.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:40 pm

I used it quite a bit for some of the same reasons - single father means running time is sometimes at a premium.  If I couldn't run at work, I could always run early in the morning (I really do despise that) or after Blake went to bed.  I never watched TV, but would listen to Pandora or the radio and after a while it wasn't so bad/boring.  I did a couple of 20+milers and it honestly isn't too bad.  Need a BR break, something to drink, eat, change shoes, whatever?  No problem.  I hated it at first and would rather run outside, but I am sure grateful I have the thing!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 am

Treadmills are good! But put it somewhere where you can have a tv in front of you!

Chris's point about craigslist is a good one - when my old treadmill finally completely conked out last fall, I just missed a fantastic deal on a local craigslist listing of a nice used one. So, if you have some time and patience, that's a great place where you might find a deal on a used one.

Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 am

I used to be a treadmill hater, until I bought mine last winter. Over the past 39 years, I have slogged through 1000's of runs in the dark, cold, windy, snowy winters here in Northern IN. No more. I purchased a Sole F80 after several months of reviews of every comparable model with online reviews. After having it about a year now, I know I made the right decision. I have run tempos, speedwork, runs up to 13 miles, sometimes watching the news but mostly with music blaring. I have even used it on a few horribly hot summer days! I did a 10x400 workout last summer at my goal pace that would have been impossible in the hot/humid conditions outside. Absolutely no regrets!

Hope this helps...
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:57 am

I agree with all the others, treadmills can be your friend.  In addition to all the positives that have been mentioned I would like to add that they're a little softer than running on the roads.  I've run up to 30 miles on the mill.  I just rented a couple of movies and spent the afternoon getting it done.  It's awfully nice to have a TV in front of the mill and I have an extension cord on the audio output so I can wear headphones and don't have to blare the sound so I can hear it.  That can be quite beneficial if you're trying to get in a run while others are sleeping.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:07 am

Thank you all! I am  going to try out  my parents' first since that would be free. It has been a couple of years since I ran on it. They say it's good but noisy, I can't remember. But free is good. If that doesn't work I will try Craigslist or another local consignment site. I'm excited to run more in Jan-Feb if this all works.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Dave Bussard wrote:I used to be a treadmill hater, until I bought mine last winter. Over the past 39 years, I have slogged through 1000's of runs in the dark, cold, windy, snowy winters here in Northern IN. No more. I purchased a Sole F80 after several months of reviews of every comparable model with online reviews. After having it about a year now, I know I made the right decision. I have run tempos, speedwork, runs up to 13 miles, sometimes watching the news but mostly with music blaring. I have even used it on a few horribly hot summer days! I did a 10x400 workout last summer at my goal pace that would have been impossible in the hot/humid conditions outside. Absolutely no regrets!

Hope this helps...
Wow, Dave, this is big! I remember years ago you telling people to just get out in the conditions and run. I agree with what you've written though and am glad it's working out for you.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Well I have to be one that was in the camp of hating treadmills. Not anymore all my best marathon times have come off winter training (95%) on a treadmill. I have found that it has help improve my mental focus and toughness. I have found that it has also help with my leg turnover and has allowed me to build my mileage up over the winter. It has also taken away the worry of running on ice and falling during the winter. I have found that my workouts have been more productive and it has even been used during the summer when it has been to hot to do certain workouts like a tempo run. 

I believe that you can a good TM at a very fair and inexpensive price. Like Chris said Craigs list is good an even look at Dick's sports they have good deals at times. 

Again I find the treadmill to be a great tool to help improve one's running and race times!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm

I agree with John, treadmills can be your friend.  The only reason I don't have one of my own is because I only have a 1-bedroom condo--as soon as I get that 2nd room that is the first purchase I'm making!

Their good for bad weather / dark, but also great for speed work.  And for catching up on TV so that when the rest of the world talks about what shows they watch, you're not in the dark like I always am Smile 

I'd say try it before you buy it, because some definitely 'feel' better than others.  I ran on one in a hotel once that I kept falling on because it was slippery, and in my old building, even 2 of the same model felt differently and people would wait for the good treadmill.

Make sure it doesn't have an automatic shut-off after 30, 60, or 90 minutes the way some do--that is extremely annoying.  I think the gyms set them that way to keep people from abusing the time limits, but I had one once that overheated or something and had to shut itself down for about 5 minutes for "safety reasons"….I was not happy!

Some other nice features are a fan that you can adjust, and the kind that comes with a screen where you can "run" certain courses.  Like, my brother's friend have that kind, and you can 'climb' the Eiffel tower, or run the Boston marathon course, etc and the screen shows what you'd be seeing if you were there.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:43 pm

Haha Penelope we are in one bedroom our TM is in a the living which works well since we can look out at the lake And watch tv if we want. Not ideally but it works!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:59 am

Schuey wrote:Haha Penelope we are in one bedroom our TM is in a the living which works well since we can look out at the lake And watch tv if we want. Not ideally but it works!
Nice.  My place is decent sized, but in order to fit a treadmill, I would have to get rid of a huge, fluffly/overstuffed recliner chair that I love.  It can only fit in a corner and needs about 8 feet.  I have taken many naps in that thing, read many books, watched some movies, and gotten a lot done in that chair.  Very attached to it.

Recliner versus treadmill….treadmill lost.  Smile

I could fit a treadmill on my balcony…….which doesn't really help me
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:04 am

Penelope wrote:
Recliner versus treadmill….treadmill lost.  Smile

I could fit a treadmill on my balcony…….which doesn't really help me
HaHa I love this!! Very Happy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 am

I would rather buy the new Garmin. They look really cool and girly, ie sexy.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:07 pm

I am weird in that I don't even want a Garmin.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:19 pm

JohnP wrote:
Dave Bussard wrote:I used to be a treadmill hater, until I bought mine last winter. Over the past 39 years, I have slogged through 1000's of runs in the dark, cold, windy, snowy winters here in Northern IN. No more. I purchased a Sole F80 after several months of reviews of every comparable model with online reviews. After having it about a year now, I know I made the right decision. I have run tempos, speedwork, runs up to 13 miles, sometimes watching the news but mostly with music blaring. I have even used it on a few horribly hot summer days! I did a 10x400 workout last summer at my goal pace that would have been impossible in the hot/humid conditions outside. Absolutely no regrets!

Hope this helps...
Wow, Dave, this is big! I remember years ago you telling people to just get out in the conditions and run. I agree with what you've written though and am glad it's working out for you.
Man, I can't believe you remember me saying that! But that was the old me...

One other piece of advise is to get a fan or two. I have a ceiling fan and a floor fan blowing nearly every run. I still sweat tons.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Dave Bussard wrote:
JohnP wrote:

Hope this helps...
Man, I can't believe you remember me saying that! But that was the old me...

One other piece of advise is to get a fan or two. I have a ceiling fan and a floor fan blowing nearly every run. I still sweat tons.
See Dave we actually pay attention to what you have to say!

Yes I would agree on the fans!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Love mine. I have been a treadmill runner since 2004. I have had to be. I have no choice. Why do I say this? Tomorrow's schedule:

10 am to 12 noon- Meeting
12 noon to 1:00- Run 7 miles
1:30 to 5 pm-Meeting
5-6 travel home.
6-8-family time.

That is just tomorrow. LOL

I have a Pace Master Silver. I have over 5K miles on it in a little over 3 years. I run on Precors at the YMCA.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm late to the game here, but this appears to be a pretty amazing deal for a treadmill with all the bells and whistles this offers.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/performance-1850-treadmill/prod7810030.ip?navAction=push
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Bought a nordictrack commerical 1750 last march and have had trouble with it since initial delivery.  It currently does not work.  NordicTrack's "customer service" is a joke.  I will likely be taking them to small claims court soon, laziness is the only barrier.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm going to get one.  I'm looking at the Precor 9.31 and the True PS300.  I went to 2 different places and those 2 models seem to be top sellers.  The True is a LOT cheaper--almost half.  (The guy selling the True brand said he used to sell the Precors, and that he likes the Trues just as much if not more…that the Precor is more because you're paying for the name.)
Anyone have any experience with these 2, or recommend another one?

My recliner is staying.  It's my ugly couch that no one ever uses that's gonna go.  A 2-seat couch is all I really need anyway.  But yep, trading my couch for enough room for a treadmill Smile
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next