365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Boston Redux

+10
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
Mark B
Julie
ounce
Tom H
mountandog
Michael Mitchell
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Back to Boston Redux Empty Back to Boston Redux

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Ok, with the 0F temps this morning and the pending jury selection for the Boston Bomber, I figured it was time to get motivated and a new blog will definitely help.  I was not ready for this type of cold after a week in Florida, but we did find a local "real" indoor track at a local Community College that is open to the public.  For $15 (yes, $15 total dollars), we can join until March and use the facility.  It is a typical 200 m indoor track with a beautiful surface.  I'd pay 10x that, but we aren't going to let them in on that one.  Tonight will be our first "speed" workout at the track.  I wonder how much I've left behind - I guess we will soon know.

Looks like it will once again be an interesting winter for Boston training.  At least it is supposed to warm up this weekend and get into the low teens with sunshine.  And of course, the Metropark All Purpose Trail is plowed, so there will be no excuses to not run our long run outside.  I believe I have 11-12 on the schedule.  There is no predicted wind - so braving it in that sunshine will be the order of the day.  

Never anticipated on running Boston this Spring as my original plan was to run my daughter's freshman and senior years (2013 and 2016), but here I am again.  Not sure what to expect after last year, but I'm going to take a page out of Meb's playbook where he said that all he wanted was to run his best on that given day in April.  Sounds like a plan.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Back to Boston Redux Empty Re: Back to Boston Redux

Post  ounce Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Best of luck on the running for this year's Boston.  Sic 'em, tiger!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Yay!!!  A new blog!!  

And I am glad that you are running Boston this year.  Good luck with your training!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Good to see a fresh 1L blog again. Looking forward to this next adventure.

A 200-meter indoor track sounds crazy. Did you ever run the boards back in the day?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Is the track canted at all?  That'd be nice.

I guess I'll have to swing by here to pick up tips from the extreme-r winter side of things.  

P.S.  Diggin' the Redux. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:14 pm

That sounds like a pretty incredible deal on the track - good find!  A nice alternative to treadmill for sure.  Hoping you ALSO plan to run Boston in 2016 so I can see you there.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:22 pm

Last night's workout was tough - 6 miles with 6 x 2 min pushes.  The 2 min pushes were roughly 500 m or 2.5x around the track and the dry air made me feel very out of shape.  We did run the 2 min pushes in roughly 7:30 pace, and it sure did hurt.  Seems funny that just a month ago, I ran that XC race faster than that and felt great.  Just shows you what a little adrenalin and revenge will do for you.  Not sure where I'm really at and I'm sure that the half marathon that I'm going to run on 1/25 is going to be interesting especially since it will be in New Orleans.  At least, I know that it has not been warm there either.

Today, I ran an easy 3 miles outside (it was 20F and sunny!) and then went to the gym for a TRX class.  I really like the TRX stuff as I think I get a lot out of the body resistance exercises.  I also really like the guy that teaches the class.   The weather is being its regular bipolar self in that it will be back to 7F in the morning, so we decided that we would run our "long" run indoors.  At least there will be a few of us which should make the 90 min go by a bit faster.  We will survive and it is better than 7F and snow.  Sunday promises to be a low of 24F, so back out there we will be before yoga.

As some of you might know, jury selection is ongoing for the upcoming trial of the Boston bomber.  I cannot imagine how they will be able to find an impartial jury in the Boston area or even New England.  You would have to be living under a rock to not know what happened or be blind so as not to see all the TV coverage especially with the anniversary last year.  In following the selection process (yes, I cannot seem to ween myself away and that picture of him in the crowd with Martin Richard haunts me every time they show it on TV), I wonder how they can find impartiality and then those willing to serve offer up the death penalty.  They seem like opposing factions. Even my daughter still doesn't want to watch the coverage and she was in Kenmore Square. It had affected us all.  They have had to heighten security and really crack down on social media as there is a faction of young girls who have banded together thinking he is cute and not guilty.  I'm sure Charles Manson had the same following.  

Sorry for the aside.  Back to running.......
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:11 pm

Feel free to vent or just comment whenever you like.  You've earned that right!  I know this is going to be a tough time for you and a lot of people.  Our thoughts are still with you. 

Back to running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:50 pm

nkrichards wrote:Feel free to vent or just comment whenever you like.  You've earned that right!  I know this is going to be a tough time for you and a lot of people.  Our thoughts are still with you. 

Back to running...
+1.

And, yes, Charles Manson had his groupies at the trial for the Tate-LaBianca murders that occurred in the summer of 1969.  There's a good movie for TV called "Helter Skelter" on the crime and trial.  If I remember correctly, "Helter Skelter" was the B side of the Beatles 45 rpm record "Back in the USSR".
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Helter Skelter - know the Beatles song well.  I think that the Manson followers who killed Sharon Tate et al scralled the phrase on the walls of the mansion.  Creepy.  

Getting ready to run 8 x 400m outside after having shoveled the track earlier today - yes we are crazy and I will report back if I do not freeze in one spot on the track.  

Check out my other blog if you are so interested: http://1lranthere.blogspot.com/
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Proof that runners are nuts.  Here we are for our "track" workout - 14F with snow.  Our coach and others shovelled two lanes and 55 of us showed up and ran an 8 x 400 workout.

Back to Boston Redux Sole_t10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 pm

OMG!!! And there were 55 of you who did this??? Yes, you are nuts....
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 am

Those running don't look so nuts.  Those standing around, on the other hand...  Brrrr.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:04 am

Forget the runners... they really shoveled that track?

Clearing 8 inches of snow x 12 feet x a quarter frikkin mile? Much tougher workout than 8 x 400s.

Maybe he recruited a CrossFit cult, er, club. They live for that sort of thing. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:38 am

Ha!  14 degrees...that's balmy compared to what I have been running in.  But none the less, it takes a lot of motivation to get out and do repeats in that weather.  It's good that there are so many of you to support each other.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm

In those temps I contend the shoveling was just a good warmup for the runners.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Tom H wrote:In those temps I contend the shoveling was just a good warmup for the runners.

Ding Ding Ding ...We have a winner...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Went to Columbus last night for a hockey game with my daughter before she heads back to school on Friday.  it was fun even if the refs determined the game by calling some ridiculous penalties on the BJs allowing the Habs to get three power play goals.  Since it is her last night home and my hubby seems to be over his flu, we are headed to dinner so I did my workout this afternoon.  6.5 miles with 6 at tempo pace.  managed those at 7:35 each, so I might be in better shape than I think.  I also did those three miles on the now beautifully clear track!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Nice run Michele.  Enjoy your dinner and the time with your daughter.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Had a good solid long run on Saturday (11 miles of hills) in spite of feeling not 100%.  I did pay for it as I finally succumbed to the cold that I have been trying for weeks to fight off.  I guess having a sick spouse and daughter in the house didn't help especially when its winter, cold, and we are all cooped up for days.  

Anyway, I skipped my Sunday recovery run and Monday was my normal day off, so I did surprise myself when I felt great after working out on Tuesday so I went to the track.  Temps were relatively mild as it was 28F and most of the snow was completely melted.  I was able to do 6 x 400m (1:43-1:47) with the group getting in a total of 6 miles.  This morning it was snowing, so I ended up running my 30 min recovery run on the treadmill which was smart wit the weather.  

I actually have a half marathon scheduled for this Sunday in New Orleans.  Of course, I am going, but I was hoping to run sub 1:45 as I think I am in that shape without a cold.  The headcold has definitely diminished my breathing, so we will see.  The forecast is for a temperature around 45F at the start which to me will feel down right balmy.  Either way it will be a fun time in the city and a chance to get away from the cold and wet and snow since I won't get another chance until March.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Hopefully you will be able to fight off that cold quickly. I have a feeling that it will be gone before your race this weekend and you will run a 1:44:38 HM. Those race day temps are a recipe for success!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I seem to remember that you've raced in NOLA before.  But if I am mistaken, watch your footing during the race.  Have a balmy time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 pm

ounce wrote:I seem to remember that you've raced in NOLA before.  But if I am mistaken, watch your footing during the race.  Have a balmy time.
You are correct, Doug.  I have run there 3x previously - 2x the half and 1x the full.  I'm running the half again on Sunday and yes, I do remember that the roads were less than stellar especially the last portion of the 12th-13th mile.  I'm in better shape than I was in 2013 when I last ran the half, so I wonder if I will notice the road as much?

Starting to feel more human than I did earlier this week - bodes well (I hope) for a near recovery (from my cold) by Sunday.  We will see.........
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:14 pm

Enjoy the half...and the city...and the warmer temps.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 am

Good luck tomorrow!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself