365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston 2015

+3
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
nkrichards
7 posters

Go down

Boston 2015 Empty Boston 2015

Post  jon c Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:08 am

Saw where people don't write many race reports on here anymore. I'll break the mold and see what happens.

I honestly wish everyone could experience running Boston at least once.

Boston 2015

Last year I said 2014 would likely be my last Boston. Then I qualified again the following June, and I’ve always been the type that likes to finish what I started. So I found myself once again getting dropped off at the South St. parking lot in Hopkinton on a cool, rainy morning.
The forecast had been calling for a soaking rain throughout the day and some fairly strong southeast to east winds. So it wasn’t a huge surprise that as we stood in the corral getting ready to start wave 3 that it began to rain. I had planned on it being kind of a raw day, so at the last minute I decided to wear an extra layer which was a light rain jacket. Thought if I got too hot, I’d simply tie it around my waist. As it turned out, the extra jacket helped and I really thought the wind was a non-factor. Suppose that’s because I’m used to running in the open with nothing blocking the wind here in Nebraska.
So as we set off my plan was to not worry about time, but mainly enjoy the whole experience. I’d been struggling with some runners knee issues that had been plaguing me off and on for years and finally it had gotten to the point where they hurt enough during runs that I thought it was time to focus on healing up. So after a couple more shorter races with my daughter and a half in May, my plan is to spend the summer going shorter mileage on less days and strengthen some muscle groups I’ve been ignoring to my detriment. Maybe I’ll try to qualify for Boston in the future, but it seems to be in my best interest to not push at this time.
My plan to enjoy the day seemed to go rather well. I was surprised at how many people were still lining the streets to cheer for the runners despite the cool, rainy conditions. Had a couple bathroom stops, which I would never have considered when running for time. The rain was light at the beginning, but soon ramped up to moderate at times. It ended up raining most of the time I was out there. Even with an extra rain jacket, I soon was soaked clear through. Did stay warm though once my body heated up after several miles.
Decided to slap hands with the Wellesley ladies this time. Several looked like they expected me to stop and kiss them, but don’t think they realized they’d be kissing grandpa since my gray head was covered and I certainly didn’t want to embarrass anyone. But that was fun as well. I’ve always enjoyed slapping hands with young kids along the route too. Got to the Newton hills and honestly tried to enjoy them too. I’ve never walked any of them in my previous attempts and this time was no different. As we came into Brookline heading into Boston, I stopped and snapped a picture of the Citgo sign coming closer to the end.
When I finally rounded the corner to head down Boyleston, it finally hit me that this might be it for a while. So it was an emotional stretch, probably rivalling the first time I realized that I was going to qualify for Boston the first time in December 2008.
Got a little chilled on the way home due to not packing a dry shirt to change into. Had meant to do it, simply forgot to throw one in with the rest of the dry clothing I had packed. The hot shower was well needed by the time we got back to the hotel in Newton we were staying in.
All in all it was another successful trip to Boston. If I never run it again, I’ll always have very fond memories of race day. Sure appreciate the support of Connie and Hannah throughout this whole phase of my life. Couldn’t do it without them and their unwavering support of my running.
One of the biggest developments from all this in the past year has been my daughter Hannah now running more, working out and really enjoying it, and incorporating an active, fitness lifestyle without me pushing her at the age of 12. I am convinced that if I had not been doing this, she may not have been as receptive to incorporating it into her lifestyle. That has been a real thrill for me to see happen for her, especially with her type 1 diabetes. This is a condition she has and will have to deal with the rest of her life. It does not define who she is.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Boston 2015 Empty Re: Boston 2015

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:28 am

Nice report.  Thanks for sharing.

Isn't it nice to see your family follow in your footsteps and embrace a healthy active lifestyle.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 am

It was great to see you again, Jon, even if it was brief and it is exciting to see how grown up Hannah is these days.  No worries about her health as she will continue to thrive as these days it seems much easier to live with Type 1 diabetes - and remember, my Dad is almost 83 and he has been living with it all these years.

Keep up the running and I hope you come back to Boston again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you Nancy and Michele! I was glad to see you both at the food court.

Hannah is doing pretty well with her diabetes, and really seems to have grown up very quickly. Sure that you both can relate to that.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks for your report. I was going to ask how Hannah was doing. Glad she's able to enjoy exercise. I love seeing my kids enjoy running around outdoors and exploring and seeing that my husband and I both enjoy being active.  I pray for a cure for T1D, too. I hope it's soon but either way, you're right, it won't define her, she'll figure out management and hopefully manage it well enough she has a great, healthy life. My childhood piano teacher was diagnosed 25 ish years ago and has no signs of diabetic eye disease or any real complications. She's very careful, always has been, but it's great to see that she is doing so well for so long with it. I've had patients so unhealthy who never bothered managing it at all and that to me is such a waste.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Thank you for the report, Jon. I hope to see other reports up soon.

It sounds as if you set your expectations properly as you started the race, and that despite the weather issues, it ended up being extremely satisfying for you. Congratulations on doing it right!

It's also great that you've been able to be such a positive role model for Hannah. Good luck to her as she manages this condition. Being active can only help.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Sorry to have missed everyone at food court again this year. Congrats on another successful finish at Boston, enjoyed the report.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Glad you put the report up Jon.  Well managed race.  Turned lemons into lemonade with your attitude!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri May 01, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks Steve, Mark, Julie, and Michael. Appreciate all your comments!

Regarding Hannah and type 1 diabetes, I really don't think there is a true interest in a "cure", mainly interest in developing more treatment options. Lots and lots of money involved in chronic disease as we have found out first hand. Not as much involved in "cures" or true prevention so there is little incentive for drug companies or organized medicine to pursue this. Call me cynical, but that seems to be the reality we have found.

At the same time, we are thankful that synthetic insulin exists, as without it she would not have survived much longer after her initial diagnosis. 100 years ago it did not exist.

Regardless of that, Hannah will need to deal with this in a healthy manner and I'm so thankful she is embracing this at a young age.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down