365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAC Dash 2016

4 posters

Go down

MAC Dash 2016 Empty MAC Dash 2016

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 pm

I think this qualifies as my first actual race since Boston 2015!!

It's a small local race but I've participated all 9 years it was offered so I can compete against old times as well as the other participants.  Unfortunately numbers have been dropping...there are just to many events in the area anymore.  Never mind.  It is definitely one of my favorite events!!

PR from 2013
1:21:44 6th of 25 females                 1:20:27  7th of 34 females 
Swim 10:55                                          11:12
T1       1:26                                            1:31
Bike   43:17                                          41:58
T2       1:20                                            1:07 
Run   24:44                                           24:37

I didn't improve my time as much as I'd hoped in the swim.  I think it was a combination of not getting warmed up as well as I needed to now that I'm on the beta blockers and also maybe just being a bit to conservative.  My actual time in the pool was 9:56 so it wasn't a bad swim.

I was definitely not in as good of biking shape as I have been in the past.  I cut way back on biking to concentrate on running once I completed my century ride.  It's a very hilly route and I did slow a bit the second time around but it was still a nice ride.

I was quite happy with my run.  The first mile has a nice big hill...9:31.  The second mile has a couple small rollers as we go around the park...9:05.  The last .8 includes going down part of the hill then around the school to finish with a partial loop of the track...@ 7:41.  Overall pace 8:50

My transitions weren't great but I have a tendency to get flustered and then forget to hydrate so I tried to take a couple extra seconds and make sure I got a good drink.

The best part is I felt good during the entire race and finished feeling really well.  AND I HAD FUN!

My oldest son Gary participated.  He was the 6th place male and was quite pleased with his result as he trains very little.  My granddaughter Emma (age 12) swam as part of a team.  Abby (age 8 ) entered the mini dash for kids.  It's untimed and a mass start and it's hilarious.

Lew Hollander participated.  He often comes to the Madras races and gave a talk about his training and nutrition a few years ago.  I passed him on my first bike loop (his second loop) and again on the run.  I spoke to him a bit but he really had a tough day.  He seemed a bit disoriented and fell while biking the steepest hill.  He was weaving a bit on the run.  It's amazing to see him out there at age 86 but I can't imagine him continuing to do Ironman's.  His finish time was 2:08.

My run was quite fun.  A young boy started just a few steps behind me and I let him by on the big hill.  I stayed on his heels until we got back to the school.  He seemed to be slowing so I passed him but he passed me right back as we entered the track.  Everyone was cheering...he was part of a team of young boys.  He got part of the way around the track and nearly stopped.  I started yelling works of encouragement as did the crowd.  I may have been able to pass him but chose to run just behind him and continued to encourage him.  He was able to finish well.  After collapsing in the grass for a few minutes, he came over and shook my hand and introduced himself.

This race is all about community and it shows.  The organizers, volunteers and most of the participants are locals.  Everyone is so supportive.  Yes...we have some friendly competition but it's all in fun. 

So...maybe Coach Tim is right...I may be a little to conservative.  But I finished feeling well and with a time that I'm quite pleased with and I thoroughly enjoyed the event.

Now...back to marathon training...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

MAC Dash 2016 Empty Re: MAC Dash 2016

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:46 pm

Fantastic result, Nancy!  And I you that it makes you feel good to see not only how far you've come since that fateful Boston, but how you have basically come back and beyond your fitness levels of 3 yrs ago!!!!  I know it is fun to compare, and it makes us oldsters feel good doesn't it!

Congrats again, and I'm psyched to follow the rest of your journey to CIM.  I'll be honest that I would not be surprised with another BQ or darn near.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:51 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Fantastic result, Nancy!  And I you that it makes you feel good to see not only how far you've come since that fateful Boston, but how you have basically come back and beyond your fitness levels of 3 yrs ago!!!!  I know it is fun to compare, and it makes us oldsters feel good doesn't it!

Congrats again, and I'm psyched to follow the rest of your journey to CIM.  I'll be honest that I would not be surprised with another BQ or darn near.

Thanks Michele.  I can't tell you how encouraging it was to race that well and to feel good both during and after the event!   I will admit that I often/always think about/worry when I'm working out and also when I go to bed.  I don't know if that will ever go away but this sure helped.  The most important thing was that I really did have fun and for me that's what it's all about.

Hmm.... a BQ?  I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind...often.  But I'm still not sure what I think.  Part of me wants to go back to Boston and part of me says that's selfish.  Oddly enough we had a family dinner including some Aussie guests this weekend and the subject came up.  Katie was quick to respond that I was NOT going back to Boston and then added that if I did someone else would have to go with me.  I can't blame her.  It was probably more scary for her than it was for me.  Even though we haven't discussed it, Marty realizes that I want to go back.  We'll worry about all that later.  For now I'm happy to get back to training for CIM.

Thanks again...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Well, if it happens and you want (do will have)to go back - I'll be there - running or not - but someone you know.  And my family lives on the course.  Tell yours not too worry - you will be in very good hands.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:41 pm

Wow! What a great race! Sure, it wasn't a PR, but as your first honest-to-gosh race since Boston, it's impressive!

I like how you slowed and let that young runner finish ahead of you. That's wonderfully supportive. 

As far as Boston goes, I don't think it'd be selfish if you BQ'd and wanted to go back. I think you have a score to settle.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, if it happens and you want (do will have)to go back - I'll be there - running or not - but someone you know.  And my family lives on the course.  Tell yours not too worry - you will be in very good hands.

Thanks Michele.  We'll see how CIM goes.  I won't go back unless I run well but I would love to experience those last 6 miles of the course.  I don't remember much of those last 6 miles. Thanks again for the offer.

Mark B
Wow! What a great race! Sure, it wasn't a PR, but as your first honest-to-gosh race since Boston, it's impressive!

I like how you slowed and let that young runner finish ahead of you. That's wonderfully supportive. 

As far as Boston goes, I don't think it'd be selfish if you BQ'd and wanted to go back. I think you have a score to settle.

Thanks Mark.  I'm more than happy with my time.  I wasn't expecting anything close to a PR...this was close enough for me.

It was fun to finish with the young boy.  Interestingly he accepted the challenge and passed me back quickly when I passed him initially and he responded well when I encouraged him.  He did finish strong.  I'm not totally sure I could have passed him but I'm glad I didn't either way.  It will be fun to follow his athletic career.  The benefits of a small town.

I've got some time and some running to do before I make a decision on Boston.  Marty is much more supportive than I expected.  We'll wait and see.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 am

Oh my, Oh MY ...you felt good throughout the race and you had FUN! Keep it up Nancy, you're a fine exemplar for resilience.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down