365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspension?

+13
ounce
Chris M
Diego
mul21
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Admin
healdgator
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
Jack_Scaff
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

James Harrison - did he deserve a one game suspension for his hit on Colt McCoy?

Suspension?   - Page 2 Vote_lcap69%Suspension?   - Page 2 Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 11 ]
Suspension?   - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Suspension?   - Page 2 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

Suspension?   - Page 2 Empty Re: Suspension?

Post  Admin Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

He doesn't remember it because it was hardly memorable. I like the drama. That's football! Gotta have the ferocious defenders to keep the game interesting. Now, I'm not talking about the Suh-type rage where a guy's head gets slammed into the ground and his arm intentionally stepped on... I'm talking about the guy that will hit you... HARD... if you aren't good enough to angle away from him. I get the argument that Harrison has a history, but I still don't see evidence that he 'launched' into McCoy's head. McCoy came straight into his contact point and went 'head down' just as they collided. Next time, I suggest he get out of the way... Harrison is going to HIT YOU HARD. If the dude's worried about his noggin, find a different career. Football isn't supposed to be candyland.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, but if you are a QB in the NFL you'd better be smart enough or quick enough to avoid the very situation that allowed that hit. McCoy looked like a lost child after he scrambled and dumped the ball off... he had no presence of mind. That is grounds for getting your bell rung. Either run it and take the slide, avoid the scramble by throwing it away, or KNOW WHERE THE DEFENDERS ARE when you scramble and dump it off to a receiver... if he'd turned away from the point of impact there would've been no foul. Dumb, slow QBs are causing great defenders to get unnecessary penalties.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:10 am

Mr MattM wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

He doesn't remember it because it was hardly memorable. I like the drama. That's football! Gotta have the ferocious defenders to keep the game interesting. Now, I'm not talking about the Suh-type rage where a guy's head gets slammed into the ground and his arm intentionally stepped on... I'm talking about the guy that will hit you... HARD... if you aren't good enough to angle away from him. I get the argument that Harrison has a history, but I still don't see evidence that he 'launched' into McCoy's head. McCoy came straight into his contact point and went 'head down' just as they collided. Next time, I suggest he get out of the way... Harrison is going to HIT YOU HARD. If the dude's worried about his noggin, find a different career. Football isn't supposed to be candyland.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, but if you are a QB in the NFL you'd better be smart enough or quick enough to avoid the very situation that allowed that hit. McCoy looked like a lost child after he scrambled and dumped the ball off... he had no presence of mind. That is grounds for getting your bell rung. Either run it and take the slide, avoid the scramble by throwing it away, or KNOW WHERE THE DEFENDERS ARE when you scramble and dump it off to a receiver... if he'd turned away from the point of impact there would've been no foul. Dumb, slow QBs are causing great defenders to get unnecessary penalties.

No, gutless defensive players are causing themselves to get unnecessary penalties at the expense of the health of unprotected QBs. That hit was dirty. He intended to punish a QB who had released the ball by hitting him high and hard. Instead of suspension, they should have made the Steelers play sunday with Harrison at QB. 1 week of a similar pounding and Harrison would shut his fat mouth and play with a little bit of integrity.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 am

healdgator wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

No, gutless defensive players are causing themselves to get unnecessary penalties at the expense of the health of unprotected QBs. That hit was dirty. He intended to punish a QB who had released the ball by hitting him high and hard. Instead of suspension, they should have made the Steelers play sunday with Harrison at QB. 1 week of a similar pounding and Harrison would shut his fat mouth and play with a little bit of integrity.

Most ridiculous post of the day. Harrison would NOT get hit like that, and if he did, it would be intended to inflict punishment on the hitter... there are QBs in the league that are big enough, fast enough, and tough enough, that Harrison is a NON-FACTOR. If you aren't a big, fast, tough QB, you need a good O-line and receivers. Otherwise, open a car dealership and get out of the NFL.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 am

My opinion is that with the new rules in the NFL, the suspension was justified. That being said, I don't think the new rules are good for football. Perhaps they are good for the offensive players, but it does make it difficult for the defensive players. I agree that how the player being hit comes into the tackle often times creates the helmet to helmet hit becoming more likely. Defensive players need to adapt to the new rules, and some are having difficulty with it obviously.

With the ridiculous amounts of money the players are paid, IMO it's high risk, high reward. When you play football, you take your chances. And you are paid more than well to take them.

Of more concern to me in this instance was that the Browns let McCoy back onto the field. The potential of multiple concussions are a big deal. However, as was mentioned, a qb has a responsibility to learn how to protect themselves from those kind of situations as well.

It's not a simple right/wrong issue IMO.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:39 am

jon c wrote:

With the ridiculous amounts of money the players are paid, IMO it's high risk, high reward. When you play football, you take your chances. And you are paid more than well to take them.

On the other had, the fans pay good money to see these hi paid guys play. If one of them is out for the season because of a questionable hit, well, that too ruins the game. Trust me, I like to big hits like any other fan. All I'm saying is I can see the need to protect key positions that are responsible for making the game great.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am

I hope that you guys realize that I am intentionally being overzealous in my defense of Harrison... not much fun if everyone agrees all the time. Razz

I do enjoy aggressive defensive play and like to see guys like Harrison instill a little fear in their opponents. I think that's a big part of football. We need those players! Also, I really don't think that the hit on McCoy, in isolation, was that big of a deal (and I do think that scrambling QBs need to be VERY aware of their surroundings). However, Harrison's history is a factor so he has to pay (yet again) to play. For McCoy's sake, I hope he learns how to avoid that kind of squared up contact. Even if the helmets hadn't touched he was going to go down hard.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Mr MattM wrote:I hope that you guys realize that I am intentionally being overzealous in my defense of Harrison... not much fun if everyone agrees all the time. Razz

I do enjoy aggressive defensive play and like to see guys like Harrison instill a little fear in their opponents. I think that's a big part of football. We need those players! Also, I really don't think that the hit on McCoy, in isolation, was that big of a deal (and I do think that scrambling QBs need to be VERY aware of their surroundings). However, Harrison's history is a factor so he has to pay (yet again) to play. For McCoy's sake, I hope he learns how to avoid that kind of squared up contact. Even if the helmets hadn't touched he was going to go down hard.

What Harrison did was wrong, but I would rather have 2-3 Harrisons for every Ole! Revis attempt at a Tebow tackle. I think Primetime Deion had 4 times as many interceptions as tackles during his HOF career because he was Ole Ole Ole, too.

I wonder how many penalites my two favorite safeties, Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater, would have had with today's rules.

In CFB, the officials have gone too far enforcing the rule of the defenseless receiver. Even square tackles are getting flagged, unless you play for certain SEC teams!Rolling Eyes
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Jack_Scaff wrote:
jon c wrote:

On the other had, the fans pay good money to see these hi paid guys play. If one of them is out for the season because of a questionable hit, well, that too ruins the game. Trust me, I like to big hits like any other fan. All I'm saying is I can see the need to protect key positions that are responsible for making the game great.

I understand your point, Jack. I guess I don't agree with the degree in which that is being carried out. Some (not all) of the "questionable" hits happen so quickly due to the speed and physicality of the game and most likely can't be helped unless the defensive player lets up, which can potentially make them more prone to injury as much as the offensive player.

That being said, the wise defensive players and teams will and are adapting to the rules.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:42 pm

[quote="Mr MattM"]I hope that you guys realize that I am intentionally being overzealous in my defense of Harrison... not much fun if everyone agrees all the time. Razz
quote]

Never would have guessed that about you Matt! Shocked Laughing
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes since the victim is on the Browns. Go Brownies!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:45 pm

fostever wrote:Yes since the victim is on the Browns. Go Brownies!

Smile

(From you soon to be again, Clevelander)

Actually, I watched the game and thought the hit, although unnecessary, to be mild, but it was helmet on helmet. Diego has a point though regarding the "tough" players of the past, but in this day and age of concussions and liability, it was the right call under the current rules.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Diego wrote:

I wonder how many penalites my two favorite safeties, Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater, would have had with today's rules.

What about Lyle Alzado? The man who inpired the NFL rule that bans throwing your helmet... I think he'd have problems with today's game. Sad

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Just for the fun of it: hard hits, solid tackles, no "Candy Land" here. Dick Butkus

Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:47 am

Absolutely. This is not the first time for Harrison and if you watch the replay you can see that he intentionally lowers his head right before the hit and leads with his helmet.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum