365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chasing the naked runner 10K

3 posters

Go down

Chasing the naked runner 10K Empty Chasing the naked runner 10K

Post  fostever Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:14 am

Well, that's what someone named him. With the temp at 19F at race time he might as well been naked. Anyway, this was the second race in the 4 race winter Surivor series in Rockford's Rock Cut State park. This series gives away $25 bucks for an AG 1st, $15 for 2nd and $10 for 3rd in each race then $50 for winning the series in your AG. So if there wasn't any $ rewards I'd probably have wimped out and not driven the hour and half to get to this race, especially with 6 inches of new fallen snow adorning the trails. As we were all milling around at the start it was hard not to notice this shirtless dude warming up. I remembered him from the 5k but passed him early on and he was not even a factor in the AG standings at least in the top 3. However, this day would be different. After the start it was a dash across the snow covered expanse. I found out after a couple races last year that buying CC spikes would be an asset and it helped tremendously. Yesterday it didn't seem to matter since every step was basically spinning wheels. The only time you felt like you were actually able to dig in was when crossing this frozen lake. At least the spikes took hold in the ice. Never-the-less everyone was on the same trail. To make a long story short It was all about position since passing was extremely difficult. Got out fairly good, but not great. I just decided to pace off the guy and gal who I'd run against here in the past that usually win their AG. Problem was the #1 gal was having knee issues and the dude was having hip issues. I noticed the shirtless guy pass the usual AG winner about half way and since I was behind about 6 or 7 runners getting into position to pass him would be an uphill battle, literally, since there were many steep hills also. First I had to pass the usual AG winner. Being patient I passed him and all the other runners and had him in my sights. The gal got a second wind and passed with about a mile to go so I hung with her until the last stretch to the finish shoot. The attempt fell short since producing a kick in 6-7 inches of powder is virtually impossible. My quads and calves are shot today. Mainly I was trying not twist an ankle or fall and at least avoided that. So like the race serie's name we survived until next month. Times were about 10 minutes slower than last year even though last year had snow also, just not fresh and powdery like this year. Got second in AG50-54 and still lead the series. I'll need to take a first in either the 15k in February or the 20k March to take the series. It should be fun. Dare I say, ok 53:02 final time.

Last edited by fostever on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Chasing the naked runner 10K Empty Re: Chasing the naked runner 10K

Post  ounce Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:51 am

Gratz on the deuce, F. I wonder if the race would've been easier, if they had run a race before y'alls race, so the snow would've been patted down.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:10 am

Nice running! Haven't raced in the snow in a few years, and although I'll be in Cleveland again next winter, they seem to scorn all races from mid-December until late February - wimps! Keep up the good work - you'll get that AG win!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 pm

ounce wrote:Gratz on the deuce, F. I wonder if the race would've been easier, if they had run a race before y'alls race, so the snow would've been patted down.
There were some foot prints from the early starters. Thing was the depth and consistency (powder) of the snow. Last year had quite a bit if I remember, but it was hard pack since it had been down for a few days.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down