365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plantar Fascia

+4
Michael Enright
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
8 posters

Go down

Plantar Fascia Empty Plantar Fascia

Post  Jerry Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:37 pm

I think I had Plantar Fascia for a long time now. Unfortunately I just realized it. The good news, upon my research, is stretch and stretch training on calf and foot might be able to cure(?) it.

So I decided to do extensive stretch and strength training. The question is, can't believe I ever ask this, do I really need to cut mileage?

I haven't been running much. If I don't up the mileage now, the Spring marathon plan is out. But I will do what I have to do.

Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Plantar Fascia Empty Re: Plantar Fascia

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Jerry - you can indeed run through PF, so no worries there. Continue to religiously stretch the calf - both gastroc and soleus - and roll the foot itself (to actually stretch the fascia) on a tennis ball or frozen water bottle ( this helps with any inflammation). I have PF occasionally in one foot and for me, it actually works to stretch the foot by bending it up on to the ball and holding it. This seems to stretch the fascia (bottom of the foot).

Many people who have PF cannot walk around barefoot so they will resort to Birkenstocks when they get out of bed in the morning. I am the opposite in that walking barefoot seems to help mine.

There are ways to tape the foot if need be and these techniques works for some as well. If you ahve already been running through it, then you probably will not need to do anything besides drop back mileage and stretch, stretch, stretch. Others i know have had to stop running for a while and have ART or Graston to the foot.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm

When I get a flare up I do the same as Michele. Lots of stretching, and rolling the foot on a frozen water bottle. Sleeping with your feet pointing straight up also helps, as it keeps the foot stretched. I have never had to take time off for it other than aborting a bad run once in awhile where it particularly flared up and wouldn't go away. But I do know of people who had to take significant time off, so it can vary.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:28 am

I had a bad case of PF last year. Ran through it for a while, but after a while it hurt so much I stopped for a few weeks and bailed out of a planned marathon. After resting for a few weeks, I started up running again and added cycling as x-training. I found the cycling really helped with the PF. It wasn't just that it gave me a way to maintain some fitness while running fewer miles - the cycling action actually helped to stretch out the bottom of my foot, so I felt better after cycling. I am continuing to keep some cycling in my running schedule now for that reason, though the PF is much much better.

You'll get through it - try the suggestions you are getting - people swear by them (though different ones seem to work best for different people).

Meanwhile, don't forget, it's all about Jerry!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:58 am

I've never had a full blown case but when I start to get symptoms I roll it on a frozen water bottle particularly after my runs.

Wendy has had many battles with PF even to the point that she tore it once. She used to get graston treatment on it which helped. Now she swears that the Nike Free is what has cured her PF and she refuses run in anything else.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks all. That convinces me to run through it while working on the issues. Mine is not major, but now I realize I do need to work on it.

Thanks again!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:26 pm

T Miller wrote:I've never had a full blown case but when I start to get symptoms I roll it on a frozen water bottle particularly after my runs.

Wendy has had many battles with PF even to the point that she tore it once. She used to get graston treatment on it which helped. Now she swears that the Nike Free is what has cured her PF and she refuses run in anything else.

I had Graston on mine too and thought that it helped.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:03 am

I tore my PF in December 2007. Trained for Boston w/ it and ran the race with no PF pain. You can run through it, although be prepared to walk on the outside of your foot all day after a 20 miler. I wore supportive shoes around the house -crocs I think and stretched my calf and soleus religiously.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:33 pm

This is so cool. I will run through it except I got hit by a flu. scratch

Thanks Again!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 am

I have PF in both feet at the moment. I had it last year in one foot prior to the Indy Mini, but my chiro got me through it with Graston-like technique, meds and foot rolling at home.

I set it off last week when I was out for an 8 mile run. I just was not feeling it and wanted to head back to the car. Then I thought about my upcoming 6 month schedule for my first 50 miler. It calls for once a week doing 5 or more miles of power walking. I thought this was a good day for trying that and I cranked it out. I was flying, but right at the end one foot was really hurting. Maybe I should have done only a mile or so the first time? The answer would be yes. Shocked

I did 8 miles yesterday with some pain that went away at times. Now I am trying to get through it myself, but I will probably head back to my chiro next week to help.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I just realized this morning that all the foot/calf workouts seem start working. Heehee.

Thanks all for the good advise!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Orthotics and ART helped me.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Orthotics and ART helped me.

Sponsored by Jerry and Joe's tax money. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Jerry wrote:

Ha ha....guess what, I actually paid for my orthotics out of my pocket. Cost me 242 dollars, twice ( I have two). My insurance would not pay for. The ART, I have to pay out of pocket too, because insurance is only paying 10 dollars less than cash pay. So....ha ha...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Ha ha....guess what, I actually paid for my orthotics out of my pocket. Cost me 242 dollars, twice ( I have two). My insurance would not pay for. The ART, I have to pay out of pocket too, because insurance is only paying 10 dollars less than cash pay. So....ha ha...

Isn't your pocket money from Jerry and Joe's tax as well? Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Well, if you mean are you paying my salary at HCC, you are paying about 10 percent of it, I think. I also teach 4 classes a semester and I work 45 hours per week and I have to be on call as a library director on weekends....so...you are getting more bang for your buck sir!!
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Well, if you mean are you paying my salary at HCC, you are paying about 10 percent of it, I think. I also teach 4 classes a semester and I work 45 hours per week and I have to be on call as a library director on weekends....so...you are getting more bang for your buck sir!!

Ok, I feel better now. 10% is probably only from Joe's. Very Happy

Where is Joe?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down