365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

face planting during a run anyone?

+13
Schuey
Jack_Scaff
Mark B
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Diego
John Kilpatrick
Dave-O
carleenp
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
mul21
wrichman
17 posters

Go down

face planting during a run anyone? Empty face planting during a run anyone?

Post  wrichman Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:26 pm

I totally ate it during my 10 miler on Monday. Tripped on a root, tore my running tights in the thigh. I now have 3 bruises on my shoulder/arm and it hurts to lift my purse (it's not THAT heavy - 3-5lbs.). Had to get a root canal re-done this mroning and I asked the dentist if he could just shoot some novicane into my arm too Wink I did get a prescription for vicoden though.
So, what's your best non-running running related injury?
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

face planting during a run anyone? Empty Re: face planting during a run anyone?

Post  mul21 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Everybody who has run on even mildly challenging trails has bit it at some point, so you're definitely not alone.

Best non-running running injury has to go to a high school buddy of mine. We were out on a run around town during track season and an idiot no-runner high school kid drove by us and his passenger decided to open the door. Fortunately, the only part of my buddy it hit was his arm. It took the brunt of the force and broke both the radius and ulna of his right forearm. After a trip to the ER, a cast, and a few weeks of healing, he came out on the good side of things with a $10K settlement plus medical expenses!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:51 pm

I narrowly avoided my tripping-on-a-root faceplant by somehow spinning in midair and landing on my back. Well, rolling onto it. And I had a Camelbak on, so it cushioned it. I have, however, taken a few spills, the most notable of which is probably doing a sharp 180 turn at the bottom of a slight hill just after it had rained... There was algae on the sidewalk. Went right onto the side of my left knee/hip. In front of many, many cars. Oops.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Last summer I nearly bit it during a training run when I tripped over an uneven sidewalk edge. I think it happens to all of us sooner or later.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:32 pm

A few years back, I did marathon training with a group at a bike path location. The trail had a square metal pole a couple of feet high in the middle to keep cars from driving down the path. On the first day of training, I was setting my watch instead of looking where I was going and rammed my shin right into the edge of the thing. I then completed my run with blood dripping down my leg. I still have a scar there!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 pm

mul21 wrote:Everybody who has run on even mildly challenging trails has bit it at some point, so you're definitely not alone.

Best non-running running injury has to go to a high school buddy of mine. We were out on a run around town during track season and an idiot no-runner high school kid drove by us and his passenger decided to open the door. Fortunately, the only part of my buddy it hit was his arm. It took the brunt of the force and broke both the radius and ulna of his right forearm. After a trip to the ER, a cast, and a few weeks of healing, he came out on the good side of things with a $10K settlement plus medical expenses!

ouch! at least he got something out of it Money
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I bloodied up my knuckles on the side-view mirror of a car on accident. I cut my face by running into a low-hanging branch. And I thought I had frostbite after a cold windy run on the tip of my pe....nevermind.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Dave-O wrote:I bloodied up my knuckles on the side-view mirror of a car on accident. I cut my face by running into a low-hanging branch. And I thought I had frostbite after a cold windy run on the tip of my pe....nevermind.

Haha - yeah, the frostbite thing - I've been there too. It is ROUGH, I must say. How do you avoid that? Maybe another topic, but I have always been curious about it. Did a 20 degree long run once and thought it was going to have dire consequences. A warm shower hurt - I mean HURT. That can't be good for "things".

Never really bit it while running or cycling yet (I'm sure I will have my turn), but I have fallen at some inopportune times while forgetting to unclip from bike pedals...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Dave-O wrote:I bloodied up my knuckles on the side-view mirror of a car on accident. I cut my face by running into a low-hanging branch. And I thought I had frostbite after a cold windy run on the tip of my pe....nevermind.

Haha - yeah, the frostbite thing - I've been there too. It is ROUGH, I must say. How do you avoid that? Maybe another topic, but I have always been curious about it. Did a 20 degree long run once and thought it was going to have dire consequences. A warm shower hurt - I mean HURT. That can't be good for "things".

Make sure your upper layer is long enough to hang over it. That way your jacket serves as an extra shield from the wind. I also wear spandex briefs under my long running tights, so there's essentially three layers of protection.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 pm

On my first ever trail run and race(Mountain Mist 50K in Huntsville, Al), I fell 13 times, each time resulting in severe calf cramps that made me look like and upside down turtle. When I got home, my wife swore she would never let me run another trail race. Blood and bruises top to bottom. At least I didn't fall on the waterfall we had to climb around mile 25--Ben Z--I'm sure you remember that beyotch.

Any of us who have ever really biked also have lots of strawberry/raspberry hip and face plant stories. My least favorite time was jumping my bike over a 2x4 , having the front wheel fall off and face planting into the pavement on the way to work. I looked much worse than my patients that night.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I severely sprained my ankle while training for Boston back in 2003 (wish I had broken it) by stepping on an unseen pine cone covered by wet pine straw on the sidewalk.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm

I had a nasty fall mid-January in the snow that pushed me to the treadmill a lot more. It took over 2 weeks for the pain to mostly go away, it was pretty bad.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 am

I broke my foot one dark morning a few years ago when I stepped on a potato-sized rock that one of our local urchins thoughtfully left in the middle of the sidewalk. I probably would have missed it if I hadn't been peeking over a neighbor's fence to see if they were up yet. Embarassed

And currently, I'm still recovering from wrenching my other foot back in November when I missed a root on a trail run. Only a fast mid-air twist kept me from landing face-first. Even so, I had some dandy bruises where I landed. Some lady on the trail saw me go flying and seemed to think she was going to have to call for a medivac.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 am

I fell twice in one week during taper last year. And I caught a toe just 2 weeks ago on a raised manhole cover in the dark and rain.

Beats falling off a bike though!
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 pm

See...look at all of the people that have taken a spill while running. Isn't it nice to know that you are in good company?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Nick Morris wrote:See...look at all of the people that have taken a spill while running. Isn't it nice to know that you are in good company?

yes Smile

Michelle- I knew what you mean about wishing you just broke it. same thing happened to me cheerleading in college. I was out for months!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

HaHa yep been there done that also. Actually I took not just 1 but two face plants this past fall will running in the mountains during the JFK 50 miler. And then top it off I almost ate it again coming off the mountain in front of my wife and Kevin F. Luck for me I was so graceful falling face first that I didn't even tear any cloths or cut myself, how managed to do that I don't have a clue!

It's almost the norm when running on some good technical terrain! affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 pm

[quote="Diego"]At least I didn't fall on the waterfall we had to climb around mile 25--Ben Z--I'm sure you remember that beyotch.

quote]

Oh yeah! I nearly slid right off that thing, literally. I had to grab a root before falling off the edge. Gnarly!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I ran face-first in to a bus-stop sign in Malaysia. The sign won.

Thought I broke a bone in my face as well as my elbow when I landed on it. Instead it was just the embarassment of having to go in to work the next day with a swollen, bruised face and telling the story.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Schuey wrote:HaHa yep been there done that also. Actually I took not just 1 but two face plants this past fall will running in the mountains during the JFK 50 miler. And then top it off I almost ate it again coming off the mountain in front of my wife and Kevin F. Luck for me I was so graceful falling face first that I didn't even tear any cloths or cut myself, how managed to do that I don't have a clue!

So is this the long awaited race report for your first ultra...
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I severely sprained my ankle while training for Boston back in 2003 (wish I had broken it) by stepping on an unseen pine cone covered by wet pine straw on the sidewalk.

Coming from someone who broke his ankle last year in a parking lot at work(now I get free hospital food for life Laughing Sad ), sprains are much easier to treat and heal. My ankle took close to 8 months to be pain free.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Jeff F wrote:
Schuey wrote:HaHa yep been there done that also. Actually I took not just 1 but two face plants this past fall will running in the mountains during the JFK 50 miler. And then top it off I almost ate it again coming off the mountain in front of my wife and Kevin F. Luck for me I was so graceful falling face first that I didn't even tear any cloths or cut myself, how managed to do that I don't have a clue!

Man it looks like you guys are not getting to let me off easy on this. I will have to write up a official report.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Schuey wrote:
Jeff F wrote:

Man it looks like you guys are not getting to let me off easy on this. I will have to write up a official report.

yes you will!! Looking forward to it.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Last fall I ran on a trail for the first time. I don't know if its gnarly or not as I have nothing to compare it to. It was single track, 10 miles long, up and down roots, rocks and all sorts of stuff, but how hard I don't know. Anyway, first time out -- 4 falls. Bruises, particularly on my hands and knee. Second time out I fell three times. On the first fall, I didn't realize it at the time I cracked a couple of ribs, but at least I was wearing gloves so I didn't rip my hands again. On the third fall I realized I had done something. The last 3-4 miles wasn't a bunch of fun. A full 8 weeks of recovery. A little vicodin and I didn't miss a beat in training. I loved running the trail, but have to admit I'm a bit nervous about going out again. 55 yr old bodies don't bounce real well.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 am

The only time I can recall falling on a trail was when I slipped on the snow during the Tecumseh trail marathon a few years ago.

I did face plant over a crack in the road during the CDC once 2006? That sucked but I caught myself on my forearm so there was no real damage. I'll post a picture if I can find it.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down