365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

35, 5, and 2

+22
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Schuey
nkrichards
mul21
dot520
JohnP
Jerry
carleenp
Dave P
Michael Mitchell
Joel H
John Kilpatrick
Peg Coover
Liz R
KathyK
Reina
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Mark B
ounce
26 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

35, 5, and 2 - Page 16 Empty Re: 35, 5, and 2

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 am

This is most interesting. Does this approach work if you are not trying to lose pounds but maintain? I've experienced long runs without fueling but obviously that is not quite the same. What is the book for reference?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Michele, Yes it would work, but the first week you would probably lose single-digit pounds anyway because, due to the carbohydrate restriction, the body changes from retaining salt and water to discarding salt and water [pg 80 & 81].

So for a low carb method of eating, increasing your salt intake by about 2 grams a day to ensure your body has enough sodium, so your blood volume remains.  Maintaining a proper water and sodium volume is important because the average carbohydrate consumption has enough salt due to the carbs coming via consumption of processed food.  Two grams of sodium is about what two bouillon cubes have in them.

The book is "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Jeff Volek and Stephen Finney.  About $9 on Amazon and 148 pages in 2012.  It's not an easy read, but once you get a few definitions down, it's easier to absorb.  This is the successor to the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", which I don't own and is about $20 through Amazon.

I truly am looking forward to a month or six weeks from now to see what kind of energy I have for my legs while running.  Living low carb can be for anybody, whether you're an athlete or not.  But there's one guy giving a 'testimonial' who is 55 and does ultras, so I found his testimony extremely interesting.

I don't have anything to lose by trying it out, because I can always just go back to carbs.  But if I can prove to myself that low carb living is good for my body, my running and myself, then the world may be round after all.  Can you imagine what would happen in the running world if runners determined they don't need 50-60% of their calories from carbs after all?

This is a n=1 experiment anyway.  Any other questions?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 am

Not yet on the questions. I know a guy in Cleveland who runs ultra and must be following the same strategy as he talks about his low carb diet often. He lost some weight and set a number of PRs this year.  However he recently had a DNF and then a DNS at two local races and is not sure why he is feeling so bad. Do you think it could be iron? Electrolytes?   Just curious if the book discusses this type of issue? Racing too much?  Heat in CLE (marathon was 85F at the finish?

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 am

I know the sodium has to be maintained, otherwise your blood volume decreases because both sweat and blood are salty.  I believe also that sodium and potassium need to be in balance.  Potassium could be put back in adequate levels, the book says, by a 20 day regimen of time-released magnesium.  They also recommend, 30 minutes prior to working out, to drink a cup of boullion.

Nothing got my attention about iron in the book.  I don't have a iron problem, so far.

If that guy has been doing low-carb living for a while, then he should be well broken in on how to do what for running.  Maybe he wasn't heat acclimated, like someone in the South would have been?  Over racing sure could be a problem.

I have found two things that I have to do without fail.  Drink 3-5 quarts of water (non-low carb you could fudge that some against some of the water-based food like watermelon.  And poop every 2 days because you don't just generate a lot of crap.  The water helps with the crap.

The book also cautions the reader to not get your fat intake by eating a lot of protein (rib eye steak comes to mind).  Excess protein converts to sugar, then fat.  So, they recommend putting some fat in a cup of broth.  I put a tablespoon of coconut oil in the broth.  The non-pressed stuff is absolutely flavorless and odorless.  The pressed coconut oil has a hint of coconut smell, which I like.  I read where some people put a tablespoon of butter in their coffee.  I'm not a coffee drinker.

*30*

At this morning's CrossFit, it was to do a 1 rep max weight on the back squat.  The last time I worked out at that position it was at 100 pounds on June 4.  Today, I maxed at 205.  I was thoroughly pleased.  Thoroughly.

Conditioning was 1,000 meter row, then 75 sit-ups, then 50 wall ball shots.  My time was 9:51.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Back to a 'trace' this morning, after Friday and Saturday falling off the wagon.  I received the blood ketone machine, which functions similar to a blood sugar machine.  Have to read the instructions, etc.

Today's CrossFit was a 1 rep max on a Strict Press, which is similar to a military press, but standing.  This is just upper body strength.  Stand there, tighten the core, and push it up.  I was hoping to break 100 pounds, but only managed 85 pounds.  Still a PR.

The conditioning was an AMRAP in 6 minutes of:
9 push press with a KB in each hand (30 pounds each)
9 Chest to bar pull ups (a wide band for me)
6 push press with a KB in each hand
6 Chest to bar pull ups
3 push press with a KB in each hand
3 Chest to bar pull ups
Then a 1 minute rest followed by:
28 burpees for time.

I completed 1 and 1/3 rounds and the burpees in 10:07.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Interesting read...thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.  I'm anxious to hear how things progress.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 am

nkrichards wrote:Interesting read...thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.  I'm anxious to hear how things progress.
Thanks for stopping by.  Yes, yes, I'll keep y'all informed.
-30-

Yesterday at CrossFit was the 1 rep max for dead lift.  I've been trying to practice with a lower weight so I can make sure the technique is right because I have a tendency to raise my back a bit, which causes some lower back pain the next day.

I dead lifted 225 pounds which is a PR for me by 10 pounds.  Almost couldn't keep my grip on the bar.  So, I've had 3 PR's this week with strict press at 85, back squat at 205, and dead lift at 225.  I'm very pleased.

The conditioning part was:
5 power cleans with 105#
300m run
4 power cleans
300m run
3 power cleans
300m run
2 power cleans
300m run
1 power clean
300m run
Time: 10:54
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Interesting read...thanks for sharing.  Keep us posted.  I'm anxious to hear how things progress.
Thanks for stopping by.  Yes, yes, I'll keep y'all informed.-30-Yesterday at CrossFit was the 1 rep max for dead lift.  I've been trying to practice with a lower weight so I can make sure the technique is right because I have a tendency to raise my back a bit, which causes some lower back pain the next day.I dead lifted 225 pounds which is a PR for me by 10 pounds.  Almost couldn't keep my grip on the bar.  So, I've had 3 PR's this week with strict press at 85, back squat at 205, and dead lift at 225.  I'm very pleased.The conditioning part was:5 power cleans with 105#300m run4 power cleans300m run3 power cleans300m run2 power cleans300m run1 power clean300m runTime: 10:54

Looks like you are really enjoying your crossfit class. Dead lift is my favorite all around exercise works everything and you are right have to have good technique when doing this or it could lead to injury really fast. Keep at Mr. Texas Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Schuey wrote:
ounce wrote:
Thanks for stopping by.  Yes, yes, I'll keep y'all informed.-30-Yesterday at CrossFit was the 1 rep max for dead lift.  I've been trying to practice with a lower weight so I can make sure the technique is right because I have a tendency to raise my back a bit, which causes some lower back pain the next day.I dead lifted 225 pounds which is a PR for me by 10 pounds.  Almost couldn't keep my grip on the bar.  So, I've had 3 PR's this week with strict press at 85, back squat at 205, and dead lift at 225.  I'm very pleased.The conditioning part was:5 power cleans with 105#300m run4 power cleans300m run3 power cleans300m run2 power cleans300m run1 power clean300m runTime: 10:54
Looks like you are really enjoying your crossfit class. Dead lift is my favorite all around exercise works everything and you are right have to have good technique when doing this or it could lead to injury really fast. Keep at Mr. Texas Smile
Funny, deadlifts are my favorite too, and I like to do them with a 50 lb kettlebell now.  Makes me feel strong.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Dead lift was the only thing I would do greater than my weight.  Now back squat is, too.  But I do enjoy CrossFit.  This year, I'm trying to get stronger, rather than going through the motions.

*30*

This morning, I did the 6.66 mile loop as my first run of the week, as usual.  Wasn't sure what to expect as to having either dead legs or not.  I didn't think the 3 days of CrossFit, this week, was especially taxing compared to last month.  So, here goes nothing.

The temp was 77 degrees with a dewpoint of 74 with a slight, but welcome wind.

6.71 miles, 1:28:19, 13:09 pace, 141 avg HR, 158 max HR during miles 4 and the last one, 1st half pace 13:12 and 2nd half pace 13:06

1. 13:20, 137 bpm
  2. 13:10, 132 bpm
  3. 13:08, 136 bpm
  4. 13:03, 141 bpm
  5. 13:27, 144 bpm
  6. 13:04, 149 bpm
  7. 12:45 pace, 154 bpm

My legs felt great from the start.  The pace was steady and the fastest pace since the 2nd week in May.  I've been in ketosis for a couple of weeks, but I'm not ready to think that I'm Keto-adapted, where my legs' fuel is fatty acids and my brain's fuel is ketone.  But at less than 50g of carbs for two weeks, it's clear that glycogen is not my sole fuel.

So, I'll try to go out tomorrow and run a little longer.  Nonetheless, it's encouraging!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:56 pm

First, forgive my manners, but I forgot to thank Michele and Schuey for stopping by and giving their thoughts on Thursday.  Thanks!

Okay.  This morning, I went out and ran to see how doing a back to back run under moderate ketosis and excessive humidity would be.  Would my legs be a little tight or tired or not?  This run would also give further evidence as to whether I'm getting keto-adapted or not.  Keto-adapted means the glycogen levels are low enough to insist that fatty acids supply the energy to my legs and ketones from the liver supplies clarity to my brain.

It was 77 degrees with a dewpoint of 74 and calm winds.  Pretty durn muggy.  The plan was to run the ~9 mile loop, which is 3 miles to Memorial Park, 3 mile loop at Memorial Park and 3 miles back.  If things weren't going well, I could run 6.66 or 8 miles.

8.82 miles, 1:57:25, 13:19 pace, 141 avg HR, 159 max HR during the last mile, 1st half pace 13:20, and 2nd half pace 13:18

1. 13.31, 126 bpm
  2. 13:06, 136 bpm
  3. 13:16, 138 bpm
  4. 13:24, 142 bpm
  5. 13:26, 143 bpm
  6. 13:18, 144 bpm
  7. 13:22, 146 bpm
  8. 13:25, 147 bpm
  9. 12:55 pace, 151 bpm

The first quarter mile had my left quad a little bit tight, but it settled down in the 2nd quarter mile.  I quickly got into a pace and was able to hold it.  My legs were not tired, my legs were doing quite well and I wasn't looking at my pace.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Throughout the first half of the run, I was just so pleased that I could hold the pace in the midst of the humid weather and yesterday's 13:09 pace.  It didn't seem like I was going slower than 14 minute miles, but maybe 13:40.

A little past halfway at the water fountain, I looked at my watch and was surprised in the 13:20 pace.  Really?  My legs were peachy, showing no signs of slowing down.  The 2nd half of the run was similar in effort and I didn't look at my pace until 2 miles to go, when it said 13:21.  Really?  My legs were still humming along swimmingly (or should that be runningly?) 

With one mile to go, my head started losing some clarity.  This usually happens about this time, when I was carbing.  Under carbing for this situation, I would whip out a Fig Newton and eat it.  5 minutes later, I would have my clarity back. 

Under ketosis, I didn't know what the feeling would be to correct the situation.  Ketones are supposed to be coming to the rescue, just like sugar coming to the rescue with the Fig Newton under carbing.

Two minutes later, I started getting some clarity, then a little more.  It wasn't the high level of clarity experienced with the Fig Newton, but I wasn't foggy anymore for the remainder of the run.  So, I believe I am well on my way to being keto-adapted.

During that last two miles, I couldn't help be feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me.  I'm not dependent on carbs anymore for fueling my legs.  I have this huge supply of fatty acids (adipose fat) that I cannot possibly use up to fuel my runs.  How many calories is that?

There are 452 grams in a pound.  A gram of fat is 9 calories.  So, there's 4,068 calories in 1 pound of fat.  4,068 calories already stored in the body is more than the 2,000 carbohydrate calories that can be stored in the body for a marathon.  We are taught to run economically to have the fat stores kick in, when the carbs are gone.

A 120 pound person with 6% body fat has 7.2 pounds of fat, which equates to 29,289 calories for a marathon. So, let's figure it out for me.  I'm 200 pounds and around 28% body fat or 56 pounds of fat.  jeez.  So, I have 227,808 calories of fat.
Inexhaustible.  Simply inexhaustible.

And for this time of year to be doing 13:20 paces or faster is pretty exciting.

Granted, I'm not ready to declare total victory.  After all, 9 miles doesn't make a marathon.  So the summer will march on and I will work on some longer distances under ketosis to report on how the keto-adaption is going.  It sure as shit is encouraging.

Thanks for reading this far.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I love the way you've been an experiment of one, both with the HR and the Carb 'thing' for lack of the scientific name of what you're doing.  Interesting!  I'm looking forward to the post in August where you're just gliding through your long runs.  Yep!  Good stuff!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 pm

That level of performance in those conditions is pretty darn impressive, Doug! 

You have every reason to be encouraged. Keep up what you're doing, because your body seems to like it.

Thanks also for the scientific explanation of your training strategy. Has the low/no carb approach had any impact on the CrossFit work?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:08 am

Mark B wrote:That level of performance in those conditions is pretty darn impressive, Doug! 

You have every reason to be encouraged. Keep up what you're doing, because your body seems to like it.

Thanks also for the scientific explanation of your training strategy. Has the low/no carb approach had any impact on the CrossFit work?

Thanks, Mark.  There are a lot of articles being printed showing that intense, high heart rate, short time (maybe 30 minutes or less) exercising in an anaerobic state really throws your body for a (beneficial) loop because it's trying to stay up with the intensity and, as a result, it's burning a lot of calories during the workout and afterwards for the rebuilding and repair.  This is the conditioning piece of CrossFit I describe after the strengthening piece, e.g. 5 power cleans, 300m run 4 power cleans, etc. from Wednesday's workout.

But specifically to your question, no because CrossFit isn't endurance exercising.  Or at least, I don't feel anything.  Maybe 500 calories are burned in an hour, which is about the same as running 4 miles?

If you're not a distance runner or have acquired stamina from another endurance activity, you're going to be stopping to get your breath during the conditioning piece of CrossFit.  I like to pride myself on not stopping during the conditioning piece because I can divide the upper body part (kettlebells, barbells, or pull ups) from the lower body part (running) so I can actively rest one while doing the other.  But if I do an upper body part, then a whole body part (burpees or sometimes rowing), then I fade faster.  So, the heavy boy can stay up with the gazelles in the class.

Back to the ketosis thing for a moment.  Yesterday on the local news broadcast, the last story before GMA began was about some people that melt a lot of butter (1 tablespoon or 2) in their coffee and "...claim they are still losing weight."  The news desk was scoffing at the idea.  But this is exactly what low/no carb or ketosis can do for you.  You're not ingesting many carbs, so the body has to burn another energy source from somewhere.  And that's fat.  If your body is adapted or adjusted to do that, which took me two weeks so far, then you can do that.

Salt is real important under ketosis in order to keep your blood and electrolytes in balance, so I'll drink a boullion cube and add a tablespoon of coconut oil to it.  Butter and coconut oil are medium chain triglycerides which are supposed to break down quicker than long chain triglycerides (polyunsaturated fat like corn oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil, etc.) and the polyunsaturated fats are Omega 6 fatty acids which are supposed to increase inflammation in the body.  The ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3's is supposed to be 1:1 or even less.  Fried foods are usually fried in Omega 6 oils.

how's that for a short answer!?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 pm

ounce wrote:How's that for a short answer!?

Great! So as I understand it, the best thing to do is use bacon as a swizzle stick in your coffee. Gotcha. Wink

---

I can totally see how a full-body effort like CrossFit would really get you working. I did karate many years ago, and while it was all equipment-free, we ended up the class wrung out. Literally. They had to run towels over the floor to soak up the puddles of sweat.

It also makes sense physiologically, if you think about the sorts of things humans have had to do over their development. Endurance is a part of it, but so is intensely focused strength-dependent activity. Working all of these angles will make you more well-rounded physically, and that's a good thing.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:40 pm

ounce wrote:

Butter and coconut oil are medium chain triglycerides which are supposed to break down quicker than long chain triglycerides (polyunsaturated fat like corn oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil, etc.) and the polyunsaturated fats are Omega 6 fatty acids which are supposed to increase inflammation in the body. 

So I can enjoy butter without feeling guilty?????

Or do I have to follow the rest of the diet in order to enjoy my butter and bacon?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:32 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Butter and coconut oil are medium chain triglycerides which are supposed to break down quicker than long chain triglycerides (polyunsaturated fat like corn oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil, etc.) and the polyunsaturated fats are Omega 6 fatty acids which are supposed to increase inflammation in the body. 

So I can enjoy butter without feeling guilty?????

Or do I have to follow the rest of the diet in order to enjoy my butter and bacon?

You can still enjoy your butter and bacon.  But if you want to lose some weight while eating it, only consume less than 50 grams of carbs from this point forward.  And take a daily 2 grams of salt, which amounts to 2 boullion cubes or a rounded 1/4 teaspoon.  Then, get the book, too.  It's less than $10.

-30-

Took my first blood ketone reading this evening.  The effective range per the book is between 0.5 mmol and 2.0 mmol.  My first one was .05, so that was cool.  I'll have to tinker it out somewhat.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 pm

I took the blood ketone level this morning and it was 0.6.  Which is between the 0.5 and 2.0 level called Nutritional Ketosis.  When I used the pee stick, it showed a 'Trace'

Today, I didn't eat many carbs, when compared to Saturday or Friday.  I'll find out what that does to my number in the morning.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

I don't think this is something that would work for me at this point in time but I sure enjoy following your progress.  I'm impressed with your motivation to stick to something that seems like it would be very difficult. 

Thanks for sharing!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am

nkrichards wrote:I don't think this is something that would work for me at this point in time but I sure enjoy following your progress.  I'm impressed with your motivation to stick to something that seems like it would be very difficult. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the post!  I'll be doing this (hopefully) throughout the Summer to see how it goes.  If I continue to just not have dead legs on a consistent basis, then going through the Fall with cooler temperatures will really be the test.  The nice thing is, if it doesn't work, reverting back to carbs is easy.  Whatever happens while keto-adapting, I'll lose some weight just burning fat.  And that's never a bad thing for me.  After all, I have a quarter-million fat grams to burn.

*30*

My blood ketone level was  0.01, of which I'm surprised that it dropped from 0.06 to 0.01.  I thought I was sufficiently under-carbed yesterday.  Maybe I ate something that spiked it.  I ate a few potato chips, but didn't think it'd be that bad.  I'll have to more closely monitor what my fudge factor is.  I re-measured it about an hour after eating breakfast to see if a high fat meal could make it go up some, but it was still 0.01.

At CrossFit, we worked on Turkish Get Ups with 20 lb kettle bell.
Then for conditioning, we did for time "Fran" which is:
21 power thrusters (55 lb barbell)
21 pull ups
15 power thrusters
15 pull ups
9 power thrusters
9 pull ups.
Time was 7:30.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am

This morning, my blood ketone (BK) level was 0.5, which is the minimum Nutritional Ketosis score of 0.5-2.0.  I consumed 13.2 carbs, yesterday.  Today, I am going to try to consume a similar amount of carbs to see if my BK level stays the same or goes up.  To give a perspective of what food item is 13.2 carbs, a slice of white bread is 12.5 carbs or 13 grams of any non-cruciferous vegetable.

At CrossFit, we worked on front squats and a 9 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) of:
9 American KB swings
54 single under jump ropes
3 burpees.

I did 5 reps.  If you could do double unders, then you could do 18 and forget the burpees.  The front squats were somewhat difficult because my wrists can't fold backward as much as necessary, unless we've been working on them for along time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 am

My blood ketone (BK) level this morning was 0.9, which is within the 0.5-2.0 Nutritional Ketosis range.  I consumed 9.7 grams carbohydrates, yesterday, and 13.2 grams on Monday which gave me a Tuesday level of 0.5.

The book states that pricking the finger is more accurate than peeing on the stick.  And this morning's level sure confirmed that.  I peed on the stick and it recorded a "Trace" color.  I bled and got a 0.9.

Also last night before going to bed, I ate some sugar-free Jell-O because it said it has no carbs.  I ate a bunch of it because I wanted to find out if it would have an affect on the BK level because it's sweet, but no carbs.  It evidently did not and now, I've found a second thing that's sweet or chocolatey that has no carbs. Very Happy

So, I will continue the <13.2 carbs to inch that level up, then work on settling in to a carb level I can sustain.

Shifting gears to CrossFit, Wednesdays are always conditioning heavy along with the sweat that comes with it.  Today's WOD (workout of the day) involved a couple of Turkish Get Ups after warming up, then the meat of the period was partnering up with another person to do:

Complete the following for time:
1) 4 x 50m Uneven Farmer’s Carry (45 lb kettlebell and a 35 lb KB)
Partner 1 works while Partner 2 holds a front plank (each partner completes 4 rounds)
2) 100 Box Jumps (50 each)
P1 works while P2 holds top of pull-up
3) 150 Medicine Ball Sit-Ups (75 each)
P1 works while P2 holds top of sit-up
My partner and I did it in 17:34 and finished first.

The 50 box jumps and providing quad support during the sit ups might make tomorrow's run interesting.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm

This morning, my BK level is stable at 0.9 on 11.5 grams of carbs.  I am somewhat confused as to why my BK level did not go up again.  I believe I will keep up the <13 grams of carbs to see if the BK level goes up or not.  I'm not going to try to go below 9 grams on the hunch that in this situation, less is not better.

• Thursday - 0.9 BK from Wednesday's 11.5 carbs
  • Wednesday -  0.9 BK from Tuesday's 9.7 carbs
  • Tuesday - 0.5 BK from Monday's 13.2 carbs

*30*

After taking the BK level, I went out for my first of two runs for the week.  I was looking forward to a 8 mile run to test out my keto-adaption and what kind of pace I can maintain.  Once again, the ambient temperature was 77 degrees with a dewpoint of 74 and a rare wind.

8.12 miles, 1:51:45, 13:46 pace, avg HR 139, max HR 158 during mile 8, 1st half pace 13:50, 2nd half pace 13:42.

1. 13:53, 123 bpm
  2. 13:48, 131 bpm
  3. 13:55, 134 bpm
  4. 13:48, 142 bpm
  5. 13:43, 141 bpm
  6. 13:52, 144 bpm
  7. 13:43, 146 bpm
  8. 13:21, 151 bpm

So, I didn't look at my watch until I hit halfway.  I thought my pace was pretty decent and maybe comparable to last week's.  Boy, was I wrong.  My legs felt fine and I had no residual tightness from Wednesday's CrossFit.  Maybe the residual effect was not noticeable, but there.  I did, however, run comfortably for the whole run.  I did pick up the pace for the last mile and a half, which is evidenced by the mile 8 time.

I didn't have any lack of clarity, nor do I have any after the run tightness.  Tomorrow might be the almost 9 miles or a bit longer.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Running comfortably is good. Especially in your conditions. And condition, perhaps. 

I'm enjoying following your ketones experiment. When you say you consume carbs, what type are you consuming? I had some success using the South Beach Diet a number of years ago, and much of that focused on the benefits of low glycemic carbs. Can you eat veggies in this approach?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Mark B wrote:Running comfortably is good. Especially in your conditions. And condition, perhaps. 

I'm enjoying following your ketones experiment. When you say you consume carbs, what type are you consuming? I had some success using the South Beach Diet a number of years ago, and much of that focused on the benefits of low glycemic carbs. Can you eat veggies in this approach?

Yes to both conditions.

I can eat veggies.  Cruciferous veggies have around 2 grams of carbs per ounce, whereas non-cruciferous veggies have 1 gram per ounce.  Fruit is high in carbs, so I could eat 1 avocado and get 29 grams of carbs, therefore, they're out.

I'm working on getting my Blood Ketone (BK) level up above 1.5 out of 2.0, so I can figure out how many carb grams I can really eat.  This will take a couple of months.  The theory is that 25 grams is the average carb amount someone could consume and be in Nutritional Ketosis (NK).  Some people can only eat 13 grams, while others could consume 100 grams.

Milk has 1.5 carb grams per ounce and I really like milk.  I looked at lactose-free milk, thinking with the lactose removed, the carbs would go down.  Nyet.

I've lost 12 pounds since Memorial Day.  I also pretty much have to drink a gallon of water a day and take a rounded 1/4 teaspoon of salt every day I run.  That's two grams of sodium.

I need to get with the authors of the book and find out about tweaking my BK level.  So far, I'm on the right track and I hope the adaption stays with me as I increase the mileage and long run distances.  After all, I have over 200,000 calories of fat to burn.

Thanks for the questions, Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum: