365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator

4 posters

Go down

The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator Empty The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator

Post  Ben Z Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 pm

One thing I've always liked when reviewing the prediction times using the calculator is the difference between the 20mi and full marathon paces. At my current goal the difference is 7 sec/mile.

For a 3 hr marathoner the difference is 8 sec/mi. At 4hr it's 9-10.

If that's not a reason to start conservative in a marathon I don't know what is - the numbers dont lie!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator Empty Re: The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator

Post  Stephanie Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Ben Z wrote:For a 3 hr marathoner the difference is 8 sec/mi. At 4hr it's 9-10.

If that's not a reason to start conservative in a marathon I don't know what is - the numbers dont lie!
Pardon my lack of knowledge but I'm a relative newbie and would love it if you would elaborate. I don't want to miss your point.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator Empty Re: The Beauty of the McMillan Running Calculator

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Stephanie - I believe he's referring to the race pace (in minutes per mile) for a runner at a given fitness level who is running 20 miles vs. a marathon. Since the full is 10k farther, the pace will be slower, as your pace will decrease for any race as the distance increases. McMillan's calculator sets up "equivalents," meaning if you can run a certain pace for one distance, you should be able to run the "equivalent" pace at a different distance at your given fitness level. So, if you run a 3hr marathon, your pace is ~6:50min/mi for that race, but you could sustain a 6:42min/mi pace for a 20 mile run... You'd just blow up and slow considerably after that. Hence, even that minor 8 second difference could mean the difference between a perfect race and a terrible last 10k.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:25 pm

+1 good answer Mike -- those 8 seconds are killer
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:57 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Stephanie - I believe he's referring to the race pace (in minutes per mile) for a runner at a given fitness level who is running 20 miles vs. a marathon. Since the full is 10k farther, the pace will be slower, as your pace will decrease for any race as the distance increases. McMillan's calculator sets up "equivalents," meaning if you can run a certain pace for one distance, you should be able to run the "equivalent" pace at a different distance at your given fitness level. So, if you run a 3hr marathon, your pace is ~6:50min/mi for that race, but you could sustain a 6:42min/mi pace for a 20 mile run... You'd just blow up and slow considerably after that. Hence, even that minor 8 second difference could mean the difference between a perfect race and a terrible last 10k.

Exactly. Don't get greedy despite feeling fresh from the taper. You'll pay for it if you are not careful.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 pm

Awesome explanation Mike!! Thanks for explaining this to me!! I'm going to mark this thread for future reference.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down