365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 2012 Boston Ultramarathon

+9
Joel H
Dave-O
Mark B
Chris M
mountandog
fostever
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
wrichman
13 posters

Go down

My 2012 Boston Ultramarathon Empty My 2012 Boston Ultramarathon

Post  wrichman Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:08 pm

My 2012 Boston Ultra Marathon Sweaty

Since the weather forecast was looking hot (high 80s) on Marathon Monday, I pretty much decided the Friday before the race that I’d scrap my time goal and do a longer training run for the Ice Age 50 Mile race in 4 weekends. (I would not have done such a long run in the heat if I hadn’t previously done 3 30+ mile runs in the last 3 months). I didn’t taper as much as I usually would for a marathon. I stupidly tried to running MP at Chicago in 2007, and it was a death march to the finish – I learned that I really don’t run well faster in anything over 70-75 degrees.

My Ultra plan was to run out and back to my childhood home in Hopkinton from the high school (about 7 miles), drop my Ipod and singlet in my bag, and run to the start (.7 miles) with enough time to use the bathroom. This home, fondly known as “Thanksgiving Farm”, holds so many wonderful memories from my childhood (I wouldn’t even try and list them all b/c this report would be pages long). I lived there until I was 11 years old. My parents went through a bitter divorce 7 years ago, yet this house is a symbol of the happy, unbreakable family that once lived there. I find it ironic that if we had never lived in that house, my father wouldn’t have had an affair with the neighbor 7 years ago and left my mother.

Race Day - Monday morning at 8:15 am it was already warm. After slathering on Scape sunscreen (highly recommend!) and taking my inhaler, I bid farewell to my Illimani friends at Athlete’s Village, dropped my bag at the bus, and took off on my route. I ran the route I knew by memory, and I realized how hilly it was. – something I either forgot or never really noticed. As I turned onto my old street – North Mill Street – I had a memory of my school bus breaking down in the middle of a winter storm on the corner. When I reached the old house, I stopped for a few minutes and looked around. The swing-set was no longer there, nor was the mailbox my mother painted by hand, but the house looked pretty much the same. It seemed a little smaller - it’s funny how things always appeared bigger when we were kids. After a few minutes, I blew Thanksgiving Farm a kiss and ran back to Athletes Village. I was running an easy pace, but already sweating in my shorts and singlet. I decided to walk for 30 sec. up some on the hills to save my legs and energy. At one point, a spectator on a bike was heading to the start and told me I was running the wrong way (I was already wearing my bib). I got back to the baggage bus, dropped off my Ipod and singlet, and ran to the start. I was sweating a lot already. I had 20 minutes to hit the bathroom and get in my corral. Then we were off!

Miles 1-3 were warm, and runners were passing me left and right. I saw runners in everything from black full length tights (!) to a sports bra and bun-huggers. Around mile 3 ½ I heard a guy say he was from Syracuse, NY, so I started talking to him b/c that’s where I went to college. Turns out he is good friends with the husband of the teacher I student taught for long ago! When he told me he runs ultras, I told him my plan for the day and got a few fist bumps from him and his buddies. I left him at mile 5 as he had planned a run 2 min/walk 2 min routine from there.
Miles 5 – 10 (13-18 for me) I started questioning my previous 8 miles. It was hot and sunny, I was sweating a lot, and it was going to get worse. Thoughts of dropping out after I’d run 20 miles entered my head, I told myself this was good practice for getting through rough spots during ultras. I started bargaining with myself “Ok, run to the next mile marker, then you can walk for 30 seconds.” Etc. I was walking through the water stops to make sure I got Gatorade and water. Mile 8 I stopped at a port-o-potty, and the medic asked all 4 of us in line if we were all OK. I asked him the temperature. “89,” he said. No wonder it felt hot!

Miles 10-13.1 (18-21.1) I was telling myself to make it to Wellesley, and then it would be all about the spots – half way, then the hills, heartbreak, BC, Coolidge Corner, Mile 23 where my best friend would be, Kenmore Square, Finish. It seemed very doable when I thought about it like that.

Miles 13.1 – 23 (21.1 – 31) I was running through every sprinkler I saw and grabbing ice whenever spectators offered it. I’d shoved some in my sports bra, held some under my armpit or rubbed it on my forehead and neck. It seemed like every time I got cooling relief it only lasted one minute. I was running with some short walking breaks, and trying to keep my heart rate form getting too high. I couldn’t tell; how much I was sweating b/c I kept running under sprinkler and misting stations. I periodically looked at my watch, but wasn’t really concerned with my time. I figured I’d be finishing under 4:30. Sometime during mile 22 Jeff Tushaus (aka PBR man) ran up beside me. We chatted for a minute, and he seemed to be doing OK considering. I told him that if I could run 34 miles today, then he could do 26.

Mile 23 (31) – Right before I saw my friends, I saw the best thing ever – a popsicle! This arm was outstretched holding one of those red, white, and blue popsicles. Oh, it was amazing! Thank you, popsicle girl. My friends had a wet hand towel and some grape Gatorade for me. I stopped and took some pictures, and then went on my way. The hand towel was great because I could soak it in cold water at the open fire hydrants - I offered it to other runners to wipe on their neck or forehead, but only got one taker. Apparently runners do have standards. I saw a sign that said, “I love sweaty hugs.” The guy holding it pointed right at me, I laughed and hugged him.

Mile 25 (33) – Finally the Citgo sign! I ran along and all of a sudden spotted Footloose spectating. I stopped for a quick chat, and continued on to the finish. I refused to walk that last 1.2 and as I rounded the corners I said out loud, “Right on Hereford, left on Boylston.” There it was in the distance – the finish line. The Boston Marathon finish line always feels like it takes 10 minutes to get to once I see it. I love that part of the race though with the crowds cheering – it’s our one time to feel like a rock star. When I finally reached the finish line I spontaneously decided to jump in the air for a possibly good photo. It wasn’t easy to get my legs up, but I made it off the ground. I finished in 4:23:xx - a personal worst time. I’m not upset by this, though, because the weather really tested my determination and perseverance and I powered through. I don’t know if I would have made it to the finish without the aid of the amazing spectators and the ice cubes they offered. Total running time and distance was somewhere around 5:45 for 34.28 miles. Boston Marathon #5 complete.
[img][/img]
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

My 2012 Boston Ultramarathon Empty Re: My 2012 Boston Ultramarathon

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Great job Whitney. Very impressive going the extra miles in that heat. You're going to nail your 50M. When you moved from Hopkinton did you stay in state or leave MA?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Congrats on a very productive day, Whitney! Your race strategy sounds a lot like mine, but you would have had to pay me to run the extra 8 miles - childhood home or not! You will be so ready for your upcoming 50K - so go an get it, and remember if it happens to be hot, it won't be an issue - you already proved that.

PS I agree that our childhood homes did seem big back then. I am often amazed how small my parents home in Natick feels to me now.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Yeah, How 'bout those popscicles, I cherished them. I may have seen you running into town, not sure, but was struck by the fact someone would run to the start line on such a hot day. Anyway, nice job getting it done and like everyone, one of our slowest times to date. Good luck with your 50 mi endeavor.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Whitney - I always remain impressed. No change. Nice day.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Who in the world would look to ADD mileage on a day like that? Answer - ultra nuts! Crazy. Good luck on your upcoming Ice Age race.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job Whitney. Very impressive going the extra miles in that heat. You're going to nail your 50M. When you moved from Hopkinton did you stay in state or leave MA?

Alex - We moved to Richmond, VA for my dad's job. My whole family lives there still. I went back every summer until I was 16 to work at a summer camp in Framingham. I'll always be from MA Smile
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Insane and inspiring, Whitney. Great job out there, and good luck at Ice Age!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

I am exhausted just reading that report! Running

I really can't think of a better training run for your 50 miler. If the weather cooperates, I expect you to smash it. Very well done.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Ok you are NUTS....that makes me tired just thinking about it. I hate the heat and I live in the South. Very impressive indeed, you are ready for Ice Age!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Great insane job well done!

Jerry stops bragging about his Boston, NOW.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Insane! So are you registering for JFK 50 on May 1?
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm really sort of speechless. I guess AWESOME FREAKING JOB would be appropriate. You are some kind of athlete - if you could ever get hooked up with Charles you would make a really interesting interview!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Vivian wrote:Insane! So are you registering for JFK 50 on May 1?

Oh, I hope she is - then I'm definitely hitching that ride with Schuey and Lisa. I cannot wait (unless of course kBFitz isn't back Crying or Very sad )
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Nice job Whitney! Your ultra training definitely received a boost from this "workout".

Running Boston as a training run. Who'd a thunk it? I pretty much did it too but without the extra that you did. Kudos to you and continued good luck in your training!

I have a 50 miler on my radar for the fall, just haven't nailed it down as of yet.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Vivian wrote:Insane! So are you registering for JFK 50 on May 1?

Oh, I hope she is - then I'm definitely hitching that ride with Schuey and Lisa. I cannot wait (unless of course kBFitz isn't back Crying or Very sad )

I will be overnighting my application as soon as it goes online Smile
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down