365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Heathen To Vegan

+11
ounce
Mark B
Diego
Dave-O
Schuey
mul21
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Liz R
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
15 posters

Go down

From Heathen To Vegan Empty From Heathen To Vegan

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 04, 2012 1:36 pm

So yesterday I made the choice to start eating and living Vegan. That is clean living or cleaner living!

Some may know I was a vegetarian (and still am I), but I did enjoy my occasional cheese, eggs and other dairy products especially when going out to eat (which is often). I also enjoy wine on occasion and coffee lattes more often then not!

But part of clean living is to set aside these foods and drinks, that is to make room for other food that I am either lacking or missing out on.

So why vegan! Well, I like to have purpose in what I do so I can think, speak and act accordingly. I found myself the past year or so a bit lost in the woods with my purpose with food and products. Yes, I maintained a vegetarian diet, but this does not mean it was "clean" diet. I tend to eat more package goods then unpacked, Less fruit and vegetables and more cookies and bars. Yes, these were purchased at health food stores and "are healthy" and even organic or all natural at times, but this does not mean they are clean.

Don't get me wrong on the whole I ate ok, but without purpose I can lose awareness to my eating lifestyle and that just was not jiving with my soul or shall I say my soul purpose.

So, how does one go from vegetarian to vegan overnight. I can tell you it is not easy! Not that eating fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds, legumes, is hard it is just finding the time to shop and prepare those foods for the day(s) ahead.

What I have found out in the past 36 hours is that planning is essential by me slowing down. Slowing down mentally and physically to gather my thoughts so I can pick and choose the foods that are sustainable for my well being for that meal or meals.

My two biggest concerns are Variety- being able to Mix it up for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks during the day. The other is going out to eat with family, friends and even by myself. I am not in an area where there is a slew of vegan restaurants. The closes "Vegan" restaurant is about 30minutes away from my house and 15 min from my work. I do have options with some ethnic food places but stopping into Panaera or Starbucks for a quick bite might be challenging!

Then of course going out with my family poses another challenge. To go out without expectation or expectation knowing in advance I will be limited to salads, maybe pastas and/or veggies. Bringing nuts, seeds etc to balance it on occasion might be necessary.

How this will affect my running will be seen. But from my knowledge and readings if I eat a balance Vegan diet I will be able to receive all the needed nutrients and vitamins to sustain the energy needed to perform and maybe outperform!

I am not promising to anyone or even myself that I will be eating and living cleaner tomorrow but today I can guarantee it.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

From Heathen To Vegan Empty Re: From Heathen To Vegan

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Good luck Kenny. I have no doubt that if you put your mind to it, you will be able to make this work as so many runners and others as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Let us know if you have any mighty struggles with this new lifestyle, and conversely, if you feel much better or find any great recipes.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good luck Kenny. I have no doubt that if you put your mind to it, you will be able to make this work as so many runners and others as well.

Thanks!

Liz R wrote:Let us know if you have any mighty struggles with this new lifestyle, and conversely, if you feel much better or find any great recipes.

I will. Maybe start a new blog here come marathon training time soon around this change and the results. I am going to have to start cooking quite a bit!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm

It isn't too hard after the first few weeks. You figure out what you can and can't eat and how to adjust accordingly. Despite what people say, protein isn't much of an issue. B12 could be - I suggest learning to cook with nutritional yeast. It tastes damn good, anyway.

Have fun!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Q: How many Vegans does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None. Vegans can't change anything.

Very Happy

Q: Why did the tofu cross the road?

Anyone?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:It isn't too hard after the first few weeks. You figure out what you can and can't eat and how to adjust accordingly. Despite what people say, protein isn't much of an issue. B12 could be - I suggest learning to cook with nutritional yeast. It tastes damn good, anyway.

Have fun!

Yes I'm on it.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm not sure I like being referred to as a heathen because I eat meat! Twisted Evil

I mean, there's plenty of other reasons, but eating meat seems like a pretty minor infraction in the grand scheme of things! affraid
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri May 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Good luck with that and not that I see anything wrong with it but you do know that you can still eat clean and eat meat right? With that being said I will make sure that I enjoy my nice grass feed juicy steak this evening. No better way for me to get my protein/iron. Again good luck with your doing.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri May 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Q: How can you tell when someone is Vegan?

A: They'll be sure to tell you.

Laughing

Good luck Kenny. My wife is a vegetarian and occasionally goes Vegan for stints. Pizza is the toughest thing to abstain from, for her.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Mr MattM wrote:

Q: Why did the tofu cross the road?

Anyone?

A: To prove he wasn't chicken!

lol!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 pm

If I lived next door to an Indian food restaurant , going Vegan would be easier. Korma and Dahl all day.

Good luck Kenny.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll need lots of luck.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Good luck on this, Kenny. I hope you share your meals, recipes, etc. I'd like to see what it takes to make a commitment like this work.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll need lots of luck.

Nah, being persistent about it will be important, though. And, of course, the stuff tastes good. Do it, Kenny.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat May 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Here's the challenge, Kenny: Meal planning. If you don't want to eat very basic (meaning just some giant salads, very simple steamed veggies with homemade salsa, etc, then you have to cook. I can share a few really great crock pot style stews, creoles etc that are fully flavored and can be served over grains. The family might even like them! Smile

Going out to eat is a tough call if you don't do the research first. Many restaurants will change things up a bit for you if you ask, but usually going to ethnic restaurants works best.

Good for you!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Enjoy! I was vegan a few yrs and didn't do it the smart way (wasn't careful to eat beans and things) and ended up anemic and very pale and tired and sick. I'm sure you'll plan things better, though and will be just fine.

Do you like smoothies? I have a very nice blender (a Vitamix) and it's awesome for making smoothies with spinach and things, might be worth looking into.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun May 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Great article in June RW on Scott Jurek's vegan lifestyle. Interesting about his upbringing in Minnesota (hunting, fishing) then finding this fit better for him. Hope you can do it well, Kenny!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 am

dot520 wrote:Here's the challenge, Kenny: Meal planning. If you don't want to eat very basic (meaning just some giant salads, very simple steamed veggies with homemade salsa, etc, then you have to cook. I can share a few really great crock pot style stews, creoles etc that are fully flavored and can be served over grains. The family might even like them! Smile

Going out to eat is a tough call if you don't do the research first. Many restaurants will change things up a bit for you if you ask, but usually going to ethnic restaurants works best.

Good for you!

Dot - I agree meal planning is very challenging. It's like i have to be a few days ahead of the curve here. Hitting up the grocery store 2-3x per week right now until I get my staple products and more of an idea what I enjoy. I'd like to cook for the family but right now we seem separate from one another when it comes to the kitchen lol

fostever wrote:Great article in June RW on Scott Jurek's vegan lifestyle. Interesting about his upbringing in Minnesota (hunting, fishing) then finding this fit better for him. Hope you can do it well, Kenny!

I read that article and it did help keep the flame alive in me to move to vegan. I gather his wife or was it girlfriend is a vegan and a runner as well. Makes it easier and I also did not see kids floating around!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue May 08, 2012 6:15 pm

My suggestion if you are eating alone is to make larger quanties (ie crock pots, soups etc) and freeze serving portions for yourself so that when you're not in the mood to cook, you have something easy to heat up. I usually shop twice a week for produce so that it's fresh. There is a farm market about 5 miles from work that I can hit up during the summer. I'm all about locally grown when possible. Sometimes its only one part of the meal that might be missing if your family already eats veggies and grains. When they eat meat fixed a certain way, many times you can take a portabello and add the same spices and such as a substitute. Having done this for 18 years or so, I've been able to convert many home cooked comfort meals into Vegan.

I'm rooting for you!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm

dot520 wrote:My suggestion if you are eating alone is to make larger quanties (ie crock pots, soups etc) and freeze serving portions for yourself so that when you're not in the mood to cook, you have something easy to heat up. I usually shop twice a week for produce so that it's fresh. There is a farm market about 5 miles from work that I can hit up during the summer. I'm all about locally grown when possible. Sometimes its only one part of the meal that might be missing if your family already eats veggies and grains. When they eat meat fixed a certain way, many times you can take a portabello and add the same spices and such as a substitute. Having done this for 18 years or so, I've been able to convert many home cooked comfort meals into Vegan.

I'm rooting for you!

I need lots of rooting because my family is far from a vegans. Matter of fact home cooked meals are not often for various reasons. Now with me being Vegan it is already hard on my family as far as time consuming. They want nothing to do with my eating habits (as of now)! So, although I offer to cook for them they do not take that opportunity!

It will take some time for me to get int he groove and simplify the cooking process (ie. frozen) etc and be able to eat and make things on the fly that still serves my purpose.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Colleen Thu May 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Good luck, Kenny!

Do you have a CSA (community supported agriculture) group near you? It's a great way to get lots of fresh, organic vegetables into your diet, and you'll get a ton of variety you wouldn't get just buying veggies at the grocery store. I just joined one in my area, and I am absolutely loving it...I'm not vegan, but I'm trying to cut back on meat and increase the fruits/veggies in my diet. There are things in my box every week that I never would have ever bought on my own, but which I'm loving experimenting with and finding fun ways to prepare! If you've got one in your area, definitely worth looking into!
Colleen
Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Colleen wrote:Good luck, Kenny!

Do you have a CSA (community supported agriculture) group near you? It's a great way to get lots of fresh, organic vegetables into your diet, and you'll get a ton of variety you wouldn't get just buying veggies at the grocery store. I just joined one in my area, and I am absolutely loving it...I'm not vegan, but I'm trying to cut back on meat and increase the fruits/veggies in my diet. There are things in my box every week that I never would have ever bought on my own, but which I'm loving experimenting with and finding fun ways to prepare! If you've got one in your area, definitely worth looking into!

Ill look into it thank you so much!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: