365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this Blog For You?

+10
Alex Kubacki
wheakory
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
Gobbles
Diego
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Liz R
Kenny B.
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is this Blog For You? Empty Is this Blog For You?

Post  Kenny B. Mon May 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Is this Blog for you? Isn't that the first thing to answer before wasting your time with another blog?

If you are reading this then I think you deserve a proper name for this blog: How about...

"From Heathen to Heavenly Vegan (There's no BBQ in BQ)

To help you along in that process, here is what will be included:

• Vegan Recipes with the exclusive "Baldo rants and Unique way of Reviewing/rating
  • Book Reviews and Articles from Veganism to Hedonism ( Twisted Evil ) and from Spiritual to Hysterical.
  • Website and Android Application Reviews
  • Animal-less (Vegan) Product Reviews (Keep in mind I don't own a pet and actually don't enjoy the company of dogs or cats, or for that matter frogs or rats)
  • Trials and Tribulations (Test of ones patience and/or endurance) of going from Heathen to a Heavenly Vegan. This not only includes myself but more impact-fully my wife dealing with my new lifestyle (trust me she is impacted)
  • Daily Updates to my training to BQ! (I know how excited this part is for you, that is why it is last). But, this is a running forum so a good part of my blog will be about how I BQ'd from no BBQ. Goal is to BQ this year either in 3 weeks in Buffalo or Philadelphia in November.
-----------------------------------------

What my diet will consist of:

Animals sorry that's for a different blog! The 4 vegan food groups: Fruit, Whole Grains, Vegetables and Legumes (Seeds, nuts, beans, etc.) The hard part for me will be to get enough of the Vegetables and Legumes specifically beans. Along with variety so not to get stale with the same old "concoctions".

I will be maintaining 3000-4000 calories per day 65-70% Carbs, 12-18% protein and 12 to 22% fat. Because many of these foods will be new to me like (Tofu, Nutritional Yeast, Seitan, Bragg's Liquid Amino, Tempeh) I will maintain records of intake to confirm I am meeting my body needs to function at the highest capacity possible.

I will be setting aside the following as well (Set aside means I am not saying "no" to these items I'm just making room for others)

• Caffeinated drinks
  • Alcohol
  • Packaged goods (except for some frozen fruit and vegetables and the occasional protein drinks and bars)
  • BBQing and Grilling (But BQing is allowed)
--------------------------------

I will to get started right off the bat on a recommendation of two books. The first is A Diet for A New America by John Robbins (yes, the grandson of the founder of Baskin Robbins). I read this over 6 years ago and this book propelled me to become a vegetarian. Tons of reviews on this book exists, but I will just say that it made animals and fish come alive, to make real (which should not be hard) for who and what they really are that is this book helped humanize them. From how they are captured and fed as well as treated. Did you know almost all chickens have some form of cancer or disease before they are killed? This made it really easy to understand why people set aside the eating of these animals. Rating: cheers cheers cheers cheers Sad (4 cheers and sad face for the animals)

The second book, which I recently read is Becoming Vegan: The Complete Diet to Adapting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. The key here is "HEALTHY". This is a great resource book on how to eat healthy when choosing vegan. Healthy just does not happen from omitting foods, but actually combining foods properly and eating enough of the right foods. As society has become overweight and what I like to say over-nutrition some people on vegan diets can become underweight and under-nutrition (Malnutrition). This book helps take the fear out becoming vegan and guides you on what your body needs so you can feel ready and a capable of making the change. There is a healthy chapter (no pun intended) on eating Vegan for Athletes which confirms you need more calories therefore more grains, veggies, legumes and fruit making it that much more challenging. - Rating cheers cheers cheers Very Happy (4 cheers and a smile)

-----------------------------------
Running:
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday was a whirlwind! Between going shopping for eating vegan and yes cooking (you can't get away without it) and my daughters communion (both Sat and Sun) and running it was a pretty hectic weekend. So how did I do?

I managed to spend hundreds on food, miles on the road running, and hours dancing and kibitzing (Yiddish for chatting or one might say bullshitting).

Saturday I ran 6 mile recovery with someone from DM, HR was still a bit high coming off a being under the weather Tue-Thu.

Sunday nailed 6 @ GA pace avg. 7:40 which felt absolutely amazing one week after marathon. I was suppose to do 8 @GA but misread my schedule.

------------------------------------

(2) Highlight Recipes this weekend

Tofu Pasta Salad : Rating cheers cheers cheers Question (3 cheers and a question mark as I felt the dressing needed another something)

1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pasta
broccoli chopped as much or little as you like
sliced mushrooms Crimini I prefer as they are light in taste
Red Onion to your taste maybe 1/2 cup as it stands out
Green Peas
1 avocado, chopped
Extra-Firm Tofu (drain and patted get the water out)

Dressing I concocted: This is the Key to the dish just make it to taste use your judgment and adjust. If you make to much seal it and save it if you make to little maybe you made to much pasta!

Vegan Mayo
Dijon Mustard
Thyme, Oregano, black pepper, parsley, salt
Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice (I prefer lemon juice)

Simple: cook pasta, drain, run cold water over it (I forgot to do that) then add the dressing ingredients mix well and set in fridge for at least an hour over night is best IMO.

Note: Tofu typically should be drained and patted that is get the water out of it. I found the easiest way time wise it to cut it into 1-2" cubes squeeze with hand and then wrap up in paper towel and then put something heavy on top of it (I used a few pans) then let sit for 15 minutes. Worked for me.

Hemp Smoothie (PS: don't smoke it): rating cheers cheers cheers bom (3 cheers and the bomb)
Chocolate Hemp Protein 1 scoop
Hemp Seeds 1.5 Tbsp
Choc. Soy Milk 1 cup
1/2 cup vanilla soy Yogurt
1/2 Banana
Soft Tofu 1 serving (not a lot) 1/5 package

Put all in blender and take it away. It will be very thick if you like it thinner add Ice and/or rice milk to thin it out. I find soy milk keeps it thick.

-----------------------------------

Check back for more updates
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Is this Blog For You? Empty Re: Is this Blog For You?

Post  Liz R Mon May 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Cool! Did you ever read Animal Liberation (I think that's the title?) by Peter Singer? Logically rigorous philosophical defense of vegetarianism.

Hemp smoothie???!!!

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

The pasta salad sounds delicious, and I make something very similar already. I assume you can also make stir fry using tofu? Try making an Asian style dressing with rice vinegar, light sesame or peanut oil and light soy sauce. I also assume you can also use ingredients like hot sauce or chili paste to enhance the flavors.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon May 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Liz R wrote:Cool! Did you ever read Animal Liberation (I think that's the title?) by Peter Singer? Logically rigorous philosophical defense of vegetarianism.

Hemp smoothie???!!!

Liz - I have yet to read that book. Thank you for the suggestion! And Yes Hemp smoothie! Sounds naughty!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:The pasta salad sounds delicious, and I make something very similar already. I assume you can also make stir fry using tofu? Try making an Asian style dressing with rice vinegar, light sesame or peanut oil and light soy sauce. I also assume you can also use ingredients like hot sauce or chili paste to enhance the flavors.

I just ate left overs of the pasta salad. Yes stir fry is great. I just bought a load of staple foods and ingredients such as peanut oil soy sauce, etc. So, I am still figuring my way around my kitchen, pantry and those foods.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Excellent! Stir fry is easy, Kenny. The beauty is that you can experiment with the flavors as you are creating. My daughter tells me that I never make the same stir fry twice, and she is so right. Tofu is different than if you were/are used to using a different protein like fish or chicken. Rather than cooking the protein first, you cook the veggies and then add the tofu.

I also have a great recipe for barbeque tofu that you cook in the microwave. I will look for it for you.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon May 07, 2012 8:22 pm

You can grill tofu, too, I believe. I am soy, nut, peanut free due to allergies but for people who aren't they're of course a good source of protein and fat.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Quinoa works great in salads and mixed with fruit and nuts.

Look up some veggie korma recipes and substitute tapioca as a thickening agent since you can't use cream.

Sweet potatoes can also be a constant weekly staple along with blancas y negras(black beans and rice--unless you have to eat the entire rice kernel).
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Good Luck with the Vegan Diet...

I love my tasty animals too much.

Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Excellent! Stir fry is easy, Kenny. The beauty is that you can experiment with the flavors as you are creating. My daughter tells me that I never make the same stir fry twice, and she is so right. Tofu is different than if you were/are used to using a different protein like fish or chicken. Rather than cooking the protein first, you cook the veggies and then add the tofu.

I also have a great recipe for barbeque tofu that you cook in the microwave. I will look for it for you.

Thanks Michele. I have been cooking now with Tofu as I am not a stranger to eating it just cooking with it. I find it pretty easy to use!

Julie wrote:You can grill tofu, too, I believe. I am soy, nut, peanut free due to allergies but for people who aren't they're of course a good source of protein and fat.

I am omitting BBQ or Grilled (On BBQ) food because of the toxins.

Diego wrote:Quinoa works great in salads and mixed with fruit and nuts.

Look up some veggie korma recipes and substitute tapioca as a thickening agent since you can't use cream.

Sweet potatoes can also be a constant weekly staple along with blancas y negras(black beans and rice--unless you have to eat the entire rice kernel).

Diego - Thank you! Yest Sweet potato is a staple now. I found soy based cream that I have used in past for shakes etc, but yogurt works real well also if you want it very thick. Black beans just ate yeterday!

Gobbles wrote:Good Luck with the Vegan Diet...

I love my tasty animals too much.

Thanks so much. I can do without animals in many ways!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 08, 2012 11:01 am

Running
I felt dam light on my feet today for a 6 mile recovery run. So light I ended up running faster than planned around 8:45 pace with HR above recovery zone 143 on avg but giving the pace this was a good sign. Maybe I got some spring in my step from last nights spring salad, vegan chili over brown rice and a pear! I give this run bounce bounce bounce bounce Very Happy (4 bouncy and 1 smile)

---------------------------

Vegan

My first outing to a restaurant. Well Diner where I had a client meeting. I ordered Oatmeal w/fruit and when it arrived I noticed it was swimming in heavy cream. I asked is this made with dairy and she said "YES". I asked if they can just make it with hot water. She said "it's pre-made". I ended up with a bagel, strawberries, banana and Orange Juice. Not ideal breakfast overall but it will have to suffice.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue May 08, 2012 11:13 am

Just going to chime in on the macronutrient breakdown here - if you're balancing your food groups appropriately, you'll find that your numbers will actually be closer to the range of 60/20/20. Or, if you use a bit more oil in your cooking, 50/20/30. I don't think I've ever seen my protein intake drop below 20% for more than a day or so (when I was vegan).

I don't know if you considered packaged foods with 10> ingredients, all of which you can pronounce and know what they are, "processed," but if not, an amazing salad dressing recipe for you:

- ~1T Trader Joe's Eggplant Hummus
- ~1t Dijon Mustard (optional)
- ~1.5T Balsamic Vinegar
- ~1t Pickle Juice/Olive Juice/any sort of pickling liquid (optional)

Whisk in a small cup/bowl - should pour easily but not be watery. Yum.

EDIT: Also, to respond to your concerns about having enough food ready to eat and get all your food groups in - most grocery stores have 1lb bags of a 10- or 14-bean soup mix. It's just dried beans and sometimes barley. Start with a base of sauteed onions, summer squash, bell peppers, and mushrooms, add that bag, a ton of tomatoes, and crock pot it. Delicious, hearty, tomato/veggie/bean stew. Your digestive system may take a few times to get used to it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 am

I'm looking forward to following this blog. Even if I stay an omnivore, these recipies sound delicious.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Just going to chime in on the macronutrient breakdown here - if you're balancing your food groups appropriately, you'll find that your numbers will actually be closer to the range of 60/20/20. Or, if you use a bit more oil in your cooking, 50/20/30. I don't think I've ever seen my protein intake drop below 20% for more than a day or so (when I was vegan).

I don't know if you considered packaged foods with 10> ingredients, all of which you can pronounce and know what they are, "processed," but if not, an amazing salad dressing recipe for you:

- ~1T Trader Joe's Eggplant Hummus
- ~1t Dijon Mustard (optional)
- ~1.5T Balsamic Vinegar
- ~1t Pickle Juice/Olive Juice/any sort of pickling liquid (optional)

Whisk in a small cup/bowl - should pour easily but not be watery. Yum.

EDIT: Also, to respond to your concerns about having enough food ready to eat and get all your food groups in - most grocery stores have 1lb bags of a 10- or 14-bean soup mix. It's just dried beans and sometimes barley. Start with a base of sauteed onions, summer squash, bell peppers, and mushrooms, add that bag, a ton of tomatoes, and crock pot it. Delicious, hearty, tomato/veggie/bean stew. Your digestive system may take a few times to get used to it.

I like the recipe just added it to my list! Thank you. I am keeping to about 60-75%, 12-18% protein, 20-25% fat. I don't need more protein then that and Fat is going to be mainly from the nuts, seeds, and healthy oils like Flax seed oil.

Mark B wrote:I'm looking forward to following this blog. Even if I stay an omnivore, these recipies sound delicious.

--------------------

Made a Bean Relish I found just ate it and thought it was wonderfull

Can of Kidney Beans
2 Teaspoons minced white onion (make sure its white)
1/2 glove of garlic
3 TBLs of Vegannaise (or Mayo for you non vegans)
3 TBLS of Sweet Relish
1/4 teaspoon of Dry mustard (I used Dijon mustard and upped it to a bout a tsb)
Salt and pepper to your liking.

I through it all in a bowl mixed it all up then in tupperware and did a shake or two. Serves (2) small portions at best. Tip: let it sit in fridge for at least an hour or overnight even better!
Rating : cheers cheers cheers Smile (3 Cheers and a smile) it really did make me smile.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 am

Here's a good summer veggie salad for you. I'm quite the omnivore, but we eat this all the time in the summer - even my daughter. I call it "Mango Salsa" for lack of a better name.

2-3 ears of fresh corn (remove the kernels from the ears - blanch if you want)

1-2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes - sliced in half (remove the seeds if you want)

1 english cucumber - diced (remove the seeds)

1 can drained black beans

1 can drained kidney beans

Chopped green, red and yellow peppers

1 mango - diced

1 scallion

1 small red or white onion chopped (if desired) (I'm not big on onion flavor, but often add a bit of fresh garlic)

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and dress with rice vinegar, a little bit of light evoo (extra virgin olive oil) or canola oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Chill in the refrigerator. Stir occasionally so that the veggies absorb the seasonings and impart a good flavor profile.

You can use a splash of red wine or white wine vinegar in place of the rice vinegar, but I like better the taste that Trader Joe's rice vinegar imparts on the fresh veggies. You can also add in fresh shucked peas and/or garbanzo beans (chick peas). Garbanzo beans also contain protein. The fun with a salad like this is that you can adjust the veggies and seasonings to fit your taste. I'll add fresh herbs like basil or mint when in season (I grow it).

I know you are going vegan, but since you family still remains as omnivores, this is a great salad to serve with chicken or fish for a light summer dinner. I often eat it for lunch by itself (or with a bit of feta cheese sprinkled on it - for your wife).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Here's a good summer veggie salad for you. I'm quite the omnivore, but we eat this all the time in the summer - even my daughter. I call it "Mango Salsa" for lack of a better name.

2-3 ears of fresh corn (remove the kernels from the ears - blanch if you want)

1-2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes - sliced in half (remove the seeds if you want)

1 english cucumber - diced (remove the seeds)

1 can drained black beans

1 can drained kidney beans

Chopped green, red and yellow peppers

1 mango - diced

1 scallion

1 small red or white onion chopped (if desired) (I'm not big on onion flavor, but often add a bit of fresh garlic)

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and dress with rice vinegar, a little bit of light evoo (extra virgin olive oil) or canola oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Chill in the refrigerator. Stir occasionally so that the veggies absorb the seasonings and impart a good flavor profile.

You can use a splash of red wine or white wine vinegar in place of the rice vinegar, but I like better the taste that Trader Joe's rice vinegar imparts on the fresh veggies. You can also add in fresh shucked peas and/or garbanzo beans (chick peas). Garbanzo beans also contain protein. The fun with a salad like this is that you can adjust the veggies and seasonings to fit your taste. I'll add fresh herbs like basil or mint when in season (I grow it).

I know you are going vegan, but since you family still remains as omnivores, this is a great salad to serve with chicken or fish for a light summer dinner. I often eat it for lunch by itself (or with a bit of feta cheese sprinkled on it - for your wife).

ooooohhhhH! Michele I like this. Just copied it into my recipe book. I'll let you now when I make it. PS: I now have all the ingredients lol! Shopping maniac!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 09, 2012 10:20 am

Running
Woke up this morning at 5:30am to heavy heavy rain, so I waited a bit and thankfully by 6:00am it was limited to light rain at best. Headed out for 8 @ GA pace! Longest run since the marathon. I ran pretty quickly and felt quite nimble at 7:40 pace a bit on the fast side. HR was out of the zone around 163 but considering the warmer temps and a bit humidity it was all good in the baldo hood!

--------------------------------

Vegan Rants
Energy level seems quite dam high over the last few days. Even working out last night at the gym I was quite energetic. Maybe its mental maybe it physical but who cares.

Chocolate Almond Dream Smoothie

1 Banana Frozen or Fresh
6 oz plain soy yogurt
8 oz chocolate soy mile or vanilla if you want it less chocolaty
1 1/2 tbsp Almond Butter (raw)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Soy protein scoop
a few ice cubes

Blend and rock n' roll. Rating: Cool Cool Cool Very Happy (3 cool dudes and a smiley face) cool because it comes out real thick almost like a bit melted ice cream. use rice milk if you like it thinner or tofu instead of the yogurt!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 am

Running
Perfect day for running this morning 48 degrees, light wind, a bit sunny and low humidity. Knocked out 8 miles @ GA pace avg. 7:40 with 8x100 strides at the end. Really felt in a nice groove. HR was much more controlled then early this week and in my zone.

----------------------------------
Vegan Rants
I am feeling a bit more settled now with cooking, shopping, organizing and planning. I have most of the staple products and now shopping 2x per week to fill in what's missing and replenish produce. It is still hectic when cooking at night and/or in the morning. I am going to have to wake up a bit earlier some mornings to run so I can get back and prepare breakfast and/or lunch if need be on those days!

Simple Sauce w/Pasta
Rating: Smile Smile Smile (3 smiles)
Although it came out pretty good it took a lot of effort to make something that is suppose to be called simple sauce. This is a very soupy sauce with lots of veggies some beans if using small pasta you can probably use a spoon.

Ingredients

• 1 small onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • black pepper
  • italian seasoning (mix of oregano basil, parsley
  • 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 14 ounces water
  • 1 (8 ounce) package frozen peas
  • 1 lb whole wheat penne
  • 1 can Chickpeas
  • Frozen Broccolli
Saute onions in olive oil. When onions are soft, saute garlic quickly.Add tomato sauce and 1/2 can water.Add seasonings to your taste. Simmer covered for about 45 minutes. Add peas, broccoli during last 20 minutes of cooking
Add chickpeas the last 5-10 minutes. Serve in a big bowl with lots of sauce. Add grated vegan cheese.

Scrambled Tofu
cheers cheers Smile Smile (2 cheers and 2 smiles)
Oh I did enjoy this with sprouted bread but I can see this going even better in a whole wheat tortilla with salsa and vegan sour cream. That would put it over the top to 3 cheers and a smile and maybe some hot sauce to make it the bomb!

• 1⅓ tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
  • ⅓ Tbsp braggs or soy sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon turmeric
  • ¼ Tbsp parsley
  • ⅓ Tbsp mckay's chicken-like seasoning
Drain and rinse tofu. Give the tofu block a gentle squeeze to remove excess liquids.Crumble tofu in medium size chunks and place in a large pan with adab of oil on medium heat. Continue to cook until golden brown, approximately 10 min.

Add any of the optional veggies (see additional notes). Combine remaining ingredients, then add to tofu/veggie mixture. Enjoy!

I also added diced tomato, green and red peppers and onion.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon May 14, 2012 9:22 am

Saturday & Sunday Running
Took it easy sat but ended up running 8:45 pace a bit faster than recovery. HR responded well considering the warmer temps in the low 70's.

Sunday I knocked out 12 w/last 2 @MP (7:25) on the trails. Weather was creeping up into the 60-65's and definitely can feel the different. HR of 158 overall was pretty good considering the last 2 @ MP. Was able to stay in the LSD zone.

Tomorrow is a tough run 8 w/600x800's @ 5k pace and then on Wed 14 @ LSD after that is easy running pretty much until Buffalo. Not checking the weather! Not checking the weather! lol

Vegan Rant
A lot of cooking, a lot of cleaning, and a lot of eating. I have managed to maintain weight (not looking to loose or gain) going on 10 days since turning Vegan. I do need a bigger cooler to pack food which is also quite tedious right now. Seems I am bringing food everywhere I go. Between work, family homes, traveling, etc. I am living out my cooler. I do have kitchen in my office (well just no sink). So, I can stock up a bit on some stuff.

I made my Chocolate Almond Dream Smoothie and if made a certain way it is borderline like a McDonalds Milk Shake at least the consistency and it taste dam good. Key is "frozen" Banana! I was actually using a spoon to eat it.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 am

Scheduled to run 800s today but from 2am and continuing I'm having major diarrhea. No way I can run right now plus I've lost over 4 lbs thus far. Certainly don't feel like eating let alone vegetables. I'll try syne waffles for starters and maybe be able to get the run in later if I can get off the toilet.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Just gonna pop in and help turn that tofu scramble recipe into a mind-blowingly good meal. Start by sauteing diced onions (I use both red and white), zucchini/other summer squash, some chopped bell pepper... and whatever other veggies you want. I use 1/3 to 1/2 block of tofu with 2T+ nutritional yeast (stronger flavor), some garlic powder, and ground black pepper. Top with salsa/avocado/guacamole. Boom. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Just gonna pop in and help turn that tofu scramble recipe into a mind-blowingly good meal. Start by sauteing diced onions (I use both red and white), zucchini/other summer squash, some chopped bell pepper... and whatever other veggies you want. I use 1/3 to 1/2 block of tofu with 2T+ nutritional yeast (stronger flavor), some garlic powder, and ground black pepper. Top with salsa/avocado/guacamole. Boom. What a Face

Kenny Likey! Mike - how long can I keep tofu in fridge after open? I have been keeping it underwater in a sealed tupperware for 2-3 days changing water daily.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Tofu will last 3-5 days typically, but watch it carefully. What is with the "nutritional yeast"? I make a tofu scramble very similar to what Mike described with lots of fresh veggies (usually zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green and red peppers, and carrots) for my daughter and I all the time. I season with soy sauce, pepper and tabasco.

By the way, the tofu may have caused some of your intestinal issues as soy can do that to you until you get used to eating a lot of it. I used to have some stomach issues when I first started eating more edamame in things.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Tofu will last 3-5 days typically, but watch it carefully. What is with the "nutritional yeast"? I make a tofu scramble very similar to what Mike described with lots of fresh veggies (usually zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green and red peppers, and carrots) for my daughter and I all the time. I season with soy sauce, pepper and tabasco.

By the way, the tofu may have caused some of your intestinal issues as soy can do that to you until you get used to eating a lot of it. I used to have some stomach issues when I first started eating more edamame in things.

I am not foreign to many of these foods except I really lacked raw veggies in my diet. Nutritional Yeast is typically vegan almost looks like fish food flakes but it gives pretty much anything a bit of taste. Kind of salty etc. I use it in tofu, salads at times.

I hear you on the soy! I been drinking soy milk since I am like 15. But, I definitely having more soy based items. I will see how the next few days go. I really want to eat the Kale snack I had yesterday it was so yummy, but now I am afraid lol
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 16, 2012 9:54 am

Running
Tuesday: After yesterday's morning bout with major diarrhea, I was able to regain some energy and actually bounce back pretty dam well to hit the Treadmill at gym for 8 miles w/ 6 x 800's @ 3:12 to 3;15 splits. I was scheduled for 5x but they felt quite easy to be honest as I was shocked how light my legs felt. I almost thought I was running down hill and had to check the machine to make sure I was at 0.0% incline. I did some tightness in my stomach and chest a bit at the start but overall it was one of my best interval/repeat workouts to date.

Wednesday: Woke up on the tired side but was able to get in an easy 5 miles. HR was very low (great sign and pace was par for the course around 9:30.) It was very damp outside felt humid around 60's.

Tomorrow: is my last hard run which is 14 miles. As of now not looking forward to it.

Vegan Rant
Yesterday I stayed away from vegetables and limited my fruit intake to bananas and some berries. I am in a good routine with planning meals etc but it does seem I will have to continue to shop a good 1-2x per week for produce and other items.

I had a great breakfast this morning:

Whole Wheat Bread
Vegan Bacon
Tofu Egg Scramble (w/all the trimmings)
Vegan Mayo
Tomato and Onion
Granola Cereal w/ rice milk/ blueberries and strawberries

This probable is my favorite sandwich right now. Rating cheers cheers cheers bom
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

I keep tofu drained after opening it and just make sure it's tightly sealed in its original container using either foil or saran wrap. Usually lasts up to a week, but I tend to go through a block in 2-3 days tops.

Gotta turn that frown upside down for tomorrow's run, Kenny. You know better than any of us that the mind makes the run. Go get it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next