365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha

+3
Mike MacLellan
Admin
Kenny B.
7 posters

Go down

Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha Empty Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 12:17 pm

So I was up from 2am hitting the toilet every few minutes at some points and then every 30 minutes with some serious diarrhea! Stomach sounded like I had an alien inside of it each time I'd go and lie down. During the 2am to 7:30am stint I lost 4 pounds. I skipped my morning run of 800 repeats (only third time I missed a morning training run because of illness in 6 years)

Not sure the cause of it. Becoming Vegan from vegetarian Maybe? I ate some left over chinese food (brown rice mixed veggies) but also ate Raw Kale unproceessed snack for the first time. They where delicious but did that f-up my bowels?

I did manage to eat this morning Waffles, yogurt and some blueberries and just had a protein, fruit smoothie (banana, strawberries, blueberries with powdered flax seeds) along with a unprocessed vegan whole grain cookie.

I seem to be much better but I'd like to still get in my run. I am considering hitting the TM for 5x800's or depending how I feel maybe 5 easy miles and do track workout tomorrow followed by 14 on Thursday. I m drinking fluids coconut water and water.

I can't seem to find my taste right now for vegetables! I can't imagine that will feel good in my tummy right now! So, I am sticking with oatmeal for later some protein vegan meat maybe another soy yogurt.

Any suggestions would be great! My energy level does seem better which is surprising considering what I went through this this morning.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha Empty Re: Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha

Post  Admin Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 pm

One of the risks with raw vegetables is possible contamination. There are a number of different bacteria that can cause what you experienced. Wash vegetables thoroughly. Keep a cutting board and knife that is only used for vegetables. Wash them thoroughly after each use.

I've been there. It isn't fun!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Mr MattM wrote:One of the risks with raw vegetables is possible contamination. There are a number of different bacteria that can cause what you experienced. Wash vegetables thoroughly. Keep a cutting board and knife that is only used for vegetables. Wash them thoroughly after each use.

I've been there. It isn't fun!

I told my wife I am not washing them enough or even forget sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion. I tell you what it happens again I may turn not only back to a vegetarian but a carnivore maybe in order.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 pm

To be honest, doesn't seem to be related to the food. Unless you're highly allergic to that one compound in raw kale (the one that breaks down when you cook it, but makes your throat itchy if you're allergic to it). I think it's called... oxalic acid?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:To be honest, doesn't seem to be related to the food. Unless you're highly allergic to that one compound in raw kale (the one that breaks down when you cook it, but makes your throat itchy if you're allergic to it). I think it's called... oxalic acid?

I thought it might be the Kale. Sad part is it tasted so dam good. I am now afraid to eat it. My throat did not itch that I recall. Actually maybe a bit raspy? mmmm I'll clean the veggies more as Matt suggested.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Eating the waffles, et all, probably helped give your roughage something to hold on to. Aside from contamination, which has been addressed, maybe too much fiber gave you enough of the runs to keep you from doing your run? This would be way down the list from contamination, though.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 pm

ounce wrote:Eating the waffles, et all, probably helped give your roughage something to hold on to. Aside from contamination, which has been addressed, maybe too much fiber gave you enough of the runs to keep you from doing your run? This would be way down the list from contamination, though.

I had the waffles this morning after the incident. No veggies today. Going to skip veggies except for sweet potato later for dinner.

So it could be:

Kale
Contamination
Too much roughage at once being new to vegan

I am going to go with Broccoli contamination because that is the only "raw" veggie I ate yesterday that I might not have cleaned and/or did not have a skin on it like cucumber.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

My first thought was too much fiber. I have gotten really sick before too when I eat too many veggies + too much whole wheat (which had led me for awhile to think I was gluten intolerance but I think it's just too much fiber in the whole wheat). Anyway, I hope it clears up soon and you don't have to go through this again.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I always find myself attracted to the poop threads.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Could be soy related as well. Broccoli has had the same affect on me when eaten raw, so I usually blanch quickly and if I want it "cold" then I refrigerate the blanched veggie.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Soy intolerance is pretty common if you over-do it, good point Michele.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Could be soy related as well. Broccoli has had the same affect on me when eaten raw, so I usually blanch quickly and if I want it "cold" then I refrigerate the blanched veggie.

Thanks Michele. I will watch more closely what I eat. I typically have a stomach of steel but I guess something is acting as my kryptonite.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum