365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My turn to run NYC

+5
Kenny B.
ounce
Michael Enright
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave P
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My turn to run NYC Empty My turn to run NYC

Post  Dave P Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 pm

[img]http://www.365runners.com/My turn to run NYC 66350010[/img]

Hey everyone,

I'm still around. I lost my job a few months back, & had some other issues, so I've been AWOL for a while, but I'm back now. God has blessed me with a new & better job, so that trauma is behind me. Also, the school year is almost done, so late nights doing Algebra II with my 17 yr old is almost done. Speaking of my oldest boy, he & I completed the 10+ mile New England Tough Mudder a few weeks back. It was awesome, but I've still got black & blues from it.

Future big races coming up this year:

June 3rd: Iron Horse Half in Simsbury, CT

Nov 4th: NYC Marathon - I hope to at the very least BQ [sub 3:25], but finally getting a new PR would really be nice [sub 3:15]

Dave P.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

My turn to run NYC Empty Re: My turn to run NYC

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Cool, see you in NY. No 3:25 for me, but I'm aiming for 3:40 or at least sub 3:46 to beat last year. I know where I made the mistakes, so I'm on it.

Congrats on the new job and the tough mudder. Were there power lines??
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:...Were there power lines??

Two of the 26 obstacles had charged wires & I got zapped good a few times!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri May 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Hey Dave, good to see you back!

Power lines??!! That's crazy.

Enjoy Iron Horse - I liked that race.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 pm

The Iron Horse half went very well last week - all things considered. It's been a very real struggle to both get my speed back & to loose 10lbs of extra winter fat. (I know they're related to each other to a point.) I still managed a 1:32:50, which is 33 seconds from a PR. I know I have a sub 1:30 in me, but it will have to wait for another day.

Getting that close to a PR, & this morning's run, indicate that my speed is finally starting to come back. I managed my last 2 miles of an 8 miler at 6:46 today. I struggled all Spring to get any miles under 7 min. Now with NYC marathon buildup about to take place, maybe I can finally loose a few lbs too. (The Disney Goofy really took a lot out of me & it took a long time to recover.)
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Glad you're back on your feet, both literally and figuratively. Get that post count up.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:02 am

Nice to see things worked out with the job and your back to running! Good luck with the build up to NYC and maybe Ill make an appearance at dinner!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:13 am

Dang, my last post was just about a month ago - I really did want to get on here more often. Anyway,...

Race day is 17 weeks from tomorrow, & training is going very good so far, though I still lack speed, but improving there as well.

My 15 miler today makes it 44 miles for this week - the most mileage since mid-April. I do need to add more fluids to these long summer runs. I lost 4lbs today even after consuming an entire 16oz bottle. I did 3 Yasso 800's on the TM on Monday for a sub 3:10 marathon (it's a start.) Then, I had a good 4 mile tempo run on Wed in the middle of a 10 miler.

I have a bit of an issue with sore Achilles tendons, but I seem to be keeping it under control/ not getting any worse with stretching, strengthening, changing my shoes, & wearing contraptions at night that keep them from shrinking/ relaxing too much.

I huge blessing is the new group of runners that I have attached to for lunch runs in down-town Hartford. Great group of people & I have access to a free locker room with showers. It's a gold mine of a blessing that comes with the new job.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Hey Dave, good to see your progress!

A few of the guys I work with run at lunch from our office in downtown Hartford. I haven't joined them (though during the school year I sometimes run starting in downtown Hartford in the evening).

Where do you guys go? Over the bridge??
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Hey Dave, good to see your progress!

A few of the guys I work with run at lunch from our office in downtown Hartford. I haven't joined them (though during the school year I sometimes run starting in downtown Hartford in the evening).

Where do you guys go? Over the bridge??

Various routes, usually around 5 to 6 miles, but they have a couple longer routes (8-10 miles) that I haven't done with them yet. Would love to see you out there. We usually meet at 11:30 just east of the old state house on the brick walkway, just before crossing the street to go east. Join the Google group below for updates on the daily runs.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/statehousestriders
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 am

4 Yasso 800's (6:18 pace) on the TM this morning. This graph can only be appreciated by fellow runners.

[img]http://www.365runners.com/My turn to run NYC 4_yass10[/img]
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:48 am

I had a very bad experience again with the heat this past Saturday. I ended up in the ER again due to dehydration & electrolyte imbalances, but that’s a story for another day.

Today, I’m back on schedule. 6 Yasso 800’s on the TM during my 8 miler – just as I had hoped to do. Compare this week’s HR results with last week’s. My ave hr during the intervals was 152 (154 last wk.) I
hit a max hr of 167 (170 last wk.) Last, but not least, my ave hr during the recovery jogs was 136 (138 last wk.) I felt like I could have done more, but I kept with the plan – don’t want to peak too soon or red line it.

[img]http://www.365runners.com/My turn to run NYC 6_yass10[/img]
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 am

Dave P wrote:I had a very bad experience again with the heat this past Saturday. I ended up in the ER again due to dehydration & electrolyte imbalances, but that’s a story for another day.

Today, I’m back on schedule. 6 Yasso 800’s on the TM during my 8 miler – just as I had hoped to do. Compare this week’s HR results with last week’s. My ave hr during the intervals was 152 (154 last wk.) I
hit a max hr of 167 (170 last wk.) Last, but not least, my ave hr during the recovery jogs was 136 (138 last wk.) I felt like I could have done more, but I kept with the plan – don’t want to peak too soon or red line it.

[img]http://www.365runners.com/My turn to run NYC 6_yass10[/img]

So sorry to hear about the trip to the ER. I ran a long one Saturday, and can attest to the bad conditions here. Go slow!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Really strong week this week. Speedwork & long run all improving.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Sooooo busy with the funeral & then work, but the miles continue - should get close to 70 this week.

Some key runs this week:

Tue: 14 total; 8 on TM in a.m., 4x1 @9.2mph (6:31), ave 160hr-173max, approx .25 @5mph rec; + 6mi road tempo during lunch, 1st & last ave 8:14, 2-3 ave 7:20, 4-5 ave 6:54

Today (Thu): 16 total; 10 on the road in a.m., hilly 7mi tempo, ave 7:07, 160hr-172max; + 6 easy on TM during lunch

Feeling great/ speed is coming back/ training is going very well, all despite the hectic life situation right now.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I hope everyone had a great run today! I sure did. Looking through my running log, my fitness level appears to be on par with 2010 (my best yr - though I was over-trained come marathon day that yr.)

Today's goal was to go 10 miles easy, then try to get somewhat near marathon goal pace (sub 7:15) for the last 8 miles. I didn't expect to actually hit MP due to the hilly roads, so anything south of 8 min would be good. Finally, the weather has cooperated for a decent long run! Praise the Lord!

The 1st 10 on exceptionally hilly roads: Ave pace 8:59 (123 ave hr)
The last 8 on "regular hilly" roads: Ave pace 7:31 (150 ave hr - hit a max of 170 during the last mile push [180 is approx. ultimate max hr])

I'm super pleased with this week & this entire summer of training.

I just signed up for another race: The 4.748 mile Manchester road race. Jacob is signed up too.

My confirmed races for the rest of this yr:
Hartford Half on 10/13
NYC Marathon on 11/4
Manchester on 11/22
Blue Back Square 5K (my streaker race - every yr since 2009 when it 1st began)

What I'm considering for 2013:
Colchester Half in Feb
A spring half or full marathon
Avon 5K?
Litchfield field road race
New Haven Road race?
Hartford half (possibly 2013's goal race?)

Depending on how New York goes - for 2014:
3rd Boston!!! (plus Blue Back & whatever other races)

Very Happy
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Great job, and it was a great morning for a run. I like your race schedule. This may be the first year in several years that I don't run Manchester, tho that could change. Keep it up!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Wow, what a nice recovery! You are doing fantastic!

Smile

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Manchester RR - what fun! You know there is a big hill, right???
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am

Nice to see things going well for you! That looks like a good - and full - racing schedule for the next year -- though I did a double-take at the "streaking" reference until I realized you were talking about something else. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Yet another huge confidence boost run today. I've had many over the last 2 months - could this be my best marathon ever? It's looking like I'm ready for it.

Last "semi" long run today was 14 miles (2 wks out from NYC), which made it just over 30 miles for the week. It was over significantly hilly roads, with the last 6 averaging 7:09.

The main goal is to still shoot for sub 3:10 (7:15 pace.) Anything south of 3:15 will still be a PR, & at the very least a sub 3:25 will be a BQ for 2014. My training of late & last weekend's HM race are telling me I can do better than 3:10. I've been convinced for years that it's in me to do so if I can just nail my training - did I finally do it this time? I'm praying so! We'll see when I get off the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge & get settled into a "comfortable" marathon pace through Brooklyn. I'm going to try to adjust my goal by feel through those initial miles instead of being a slave to a specific time.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 am

Dave P wrote:Yet another huge confidence boost run today. I've had many over the last 2 months - could this be my best marathon ever? It's looking like I'm ready for it.

Last "semi" long run today was 14 miles (2 wks out from NYC), which made it just over 30 miles for the week. It was over significantly hilly roads, with the last 6 averaging 7:09.

The main goal is to still shoot for sub 3:10 (7:15 pace.) Anything south of 3:15 will still be a PR, & at the very least a sub 3:25 will be a BQ for 2014. My training of late & last weekend's HM race are telling me I can do better than 3:10. I've been convinced for years that it's in me to do so if I can just nail my training - did I finally do it this time? I'm praying so! We'll see when I get off the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge & get settled into a "comfortable" marathon pace through Brooklyn. I'm going to try to adjust my goal by feel through those initial miles instead of being a slave to a specific time.

All signs are looking good for your PR Dave. Just watch your effort level early and stay in the moment.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Finally decided on my alternate race:

http://ncrtrailmarathon.com/home.aspx
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:43 am

That will be quite a different experience!

Hope you do great!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 am

Dave,

I did that race a few years ago and it was excellent. Flat except for the last mile maybe if I recall. I ended up with a tailwind the second half that gave me a new PR at the time. It's and out and back course. Nice part is you get to keep warm inside before and after the race.

If you need more info about this race a few others have done it on the boards I believe.

Best of luck!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next