365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3rd time's a charm!

+28
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Dave P
jon c
Mark B
Joel H
Chris M
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Michele "1L" Keane
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
ChasMcG
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Tom H
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Kenny B.
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
32 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 17 Empty Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Kenny B. Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 pm

mul21 wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:I've always heard that the ratio should be 1:1 for time, which would be 2:1 for distance if you were doing 100% vvo2max followed by 50% for recovery. Thoughts?

That's pretty much what I (poorly) was trying to say. Dave made these workouts a bit more challenging by shortening the rest period but taking the repeats a bit easier (at least on the miles and 1200s). Bottom line, as long as you're in the ballpark both in terms of effort on the repeats and time taken to recover, you're certainly getting some benefit out of the workout.

Now, I can't tell you what you're getting out of it if you run your repeats in lane 3 of the track and they're actually 6-8 meters longer than they should be! lol!

From what I read as long as your consistent so now you got me all confused. And yes lane 3 is where it is at. Not sure why one would want to deal with lane 1 seem uncivilized to run so close to the edge. lol!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Kenny B. wrote:

Wow. That makes this a totally different work out for me. (maybe how it should be) Dave agrees I assume.

All depends on the point of the workout.

If the pace is at LT, then you need to keep the interval short because you don't want your body to clear all the lactic acid between repeats.

If the pace is at V02max, then I agree with the 2:1 intervals. You want your HR to drop (my coach always said to 120) between reps so you can push the pace.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Wow. That makes this a totally different work out for me. (maybe how it should be) Dave agrees I assume.

All depends on the point of the workout.

If the pace is at LT, then you need to keep the interval short because you don't want your body to clear all the lactic acid between repeats.

If the pace is at V02max, then I agree with the 2:1 intervals. You want your HR to drop (my coach always said to 120) between reps so you can push the pace.

I have made note of this for next time I do Vo2max next trainings cycle. Thanks!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Nice workout Jim...I told you that your legs would be back and better than ever. Kill'em!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Catching up and it's looking good. You knew when to stop from going over the training ledge. Now there's not much more until those last few easier weeks of taper for us!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Nice workout Jim...I told you that your legs would be back and better than ever. Kill'em!!

Thanks Nick. The time off worked wonders. Nailed my long run today.

JohnP wrote:Catching up and it's looking good. You knew when to stop from going over the training ledge. Now there's not much more until those last few easier weeks of taper for us!

Yep, I'm definitely getting a better feel for how much my body can take before it just says no way. Definitely looking forward to taper after the mini break earlier this week and how fresh my legs felt after that.

Knocked out an 18 miler today that started out a bit slow after the miles and workouts this week. Just had a little residual soreness from the speed workout on Thursday, but that worked itself out by about mile 3 and I was cruising. Ended up averaging exactly 8:00 miles (well, a couple seconds under total time wise) with the last 2 miles being the fastest of the day at 7:42 and 7:48. I didn't really plan it that way, it just kind of happened, but it was nice to be feeling strong at the finish.

I think I'll have a 20 next weekend as my last "long" run and then on to taper. I can't believe Chicago is only 4 weeks away!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Looks like things are cruising along well for you - speed workouts look good and that was a great pace for your long run. Time has gone fast - you are only 4 weeks out now? That isn't much time at all. Funny how to a lot of people a month is a long time, but for marathoners, a month is almost a blink of an eye! I admire that you've pretty much been able to get through a tough training cycle while missing little time.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Great long run Jim...You definitely did nail it! Way to finish strong the last two miles. I bet it feels good to be able to have the pace pick up on tired legs.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 am

Hey, I think I feel like you felt After 21 with Seth Saturday I did an easy 4 yesterday and Kind of had enough. I took off today and I am looking forward to a very healthy step back week this week for my HM Sunday. Only plan on 50 miles this week then next week will be peak of 80 before tapering.

As far as your training ain't it nice to finish a 20 feeling strong you really had a great few runs late in the week. Seems all systems are go as you wrap it up this week and go into taper.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Looks like things are cruising along well for you - speed workouts look good and that was a great pace for your long run. Time has gone fast - you are only 4 weeks out now? That isn't much time at all. Funny how to a lot of people a month is a long time, but for marathoners, a month is almost a blink of an eye! I admire that you've pretty much been able to get through a tough training cycle while missing little time.

Yeah, it's crazy that I'm already 12 weeks into the cycle and really, it's all downhill from here. It was nice to feel a little pop back in the legs toward the end of the week. It just hadn't been there in a while and I was getting a little concerned.

Nick Morris wrote:Great long run Jim...You definitely did nail it! Way to finish strong the last two miles. I bet it feels good to be able to have the pace pick up on tired legs.

Felt great, although I think it was more the body sniffing the finish line than anything else. Somehow it just knows when you're almost done!

Kenny B. wrote:Hey, I think I feel like you felt After 21 with Seth Saturday I did an easy 4 yesterday and Kind of had enough. I took off today and I am looking forward to a very healthy step back week this week for my HM Sunday. Only plan on 50 miles this week then next week will be peak of 80 before tapering.

As far as your training ain't it nice to finish a 20 feeling strong you really had a great few runs late in the week. Seems all systems are go as you wrap it up this week and go into taper.

There you go! That's the beat to crap feeling I was talking about. I'd rather have that and be able to back off a little than hit the end of the cycle thinking I could have done more!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Yesterday was an up early (well, for a weekend, anyway) and out the door run for me. I got in a nice easy 5 miles before heading down to the Rams-Eagles game to do some tailgating before the game. Just a run of the mill recovery run and today will be another easy day (probably 7 or 8 miles) to get the week off to a good start so I can hit 70 again. Dave has me doing a tempo Tuesday and 800s on Thursday with the last 20 of the cycle over the weekend. Then, on to taper. I really can't believe we're only 4 weeks away from raceday!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I have nothing of value to add here. Good luck, buddy. Enjoy the taper.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Tempo and 800's in same week wow! I don't envy that schedule.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 pm

healdgator wrote:I have nothing of value to add here. Good luck, buddy. Enjoy the taper.

Smart ass remarks and snark are always welcome! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Tempo and 800's in same week wow! I don't envy that schedule.

Last week before taper, kill it now or regret it later!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:46 am

mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:Tempo and 800's in same week wow! I don't envy that schedule.

Last week before taper, kill it now or regret it later!

I hear ya! Kill it but live to tell about it....please!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Looks like you are ready to kill it in 4 weeks but remember, DO NOT RUN WITH CHRIS, or you might regret it after the race. The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 17 424776184
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Joel H wrote:Looks like you are ready to kill it in 4 weeks but remember, DO NOT RUN WITH CHRIS, or you might regret it after the race. The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 17 424776184

Hell, I might regret it during the race if he finds another buddy to hang out with! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:17 pm

mul21 wrote:
Joel H wrote:Looks like you are ready to kill it in 4 weeks but remember, DO NOT RUN WITH CHRIS, or you might regret it after the race. The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 17 424776184

Hell, I might regret it during the race if he finds another buddy to hang out with! lol!

Haha...I told him in his blog to not pace me in the 1/2 in January...not sure I would survive the day.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Race day is going to be here before we know it. All you need to do is survive one more week from Dave and it is all down hill, my friend...Have fun with the tempo and 800s Smile

BTW...I like the throwback to your old avatar...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

mul21 wrote: Last week before taper, kill it now or regret it later!

Great quote.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Happy tapering Jim!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:14 am

So, it's been a shitty week. Work has curtailed my running a bit, I've kind of felt crappy any way, and the reason for that is probably the same one that has had my 3 year old puking for the last 2 days.

Tuesday and Wednesday I had a conference that I was stuck in all day and then had dinner until late Tuesday, so no running. I had to be in pretty early Wednesday, so I missed the first part of my scheduled double and only got 7 in for the day. That, however, probably assisted in nailing my workout yesterday. Knocked out 8 x 800 all at 3:05 or less and hit the last one at 2:56 and totaled 10 miles for the day.

I'm at work briefly this morning before having to go home to spend the rest of the day with a sick kid, so fun times are ahead.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:18 am

Dang...That doesn't sound like much fun. Good news is that you pretty much have put in most of your training work already and taper is right around the corner. Good luck with the sick kid and I hope that you are able to fight off whatever it s that may be in the air.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:27 am

That does sound like a pretty awful week. Good luck with the sick kiddo.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next