365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuck with a Pool?

+13
Jeff F
healdgator
Nick Morris
Bob
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
Mark B
carleenp
Dave-O
Dave Bussard
Chris M
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stuck with a Pool? Empty Stuck with a Pool?

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:05 pm

We are looking for house and most of the houses in the area have the freaking pools. scratch

Two questions:

1. What can you do with the pool in your backyard if you don't like swim?

2. How hard is it to learn basic swimming, ie basic arm stroke and kicks in freestyle? I can do either, but just can't do them at the same time. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Stuck with a Pool? Empty Re: Stuck with a Pool?

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Since you're in Texas, I'd go with large freshwater aquarium. Throw in a few hundred pounds of lava rock, dechlorinate, keep at 70-80 degrees year round, throw in a couple hundred "assorted African cichlids" and let the colonies form. Yes, I'm serious.

Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Get a kick board and learn to do the kicking motion of freestyle really well while taking your arms out of it. And/or learn to breast stroke which may be an easier stroke for you to learn quickly. Get your daughter real lessons and at least consider them for yourself as well. Its never too late to learn to swim decently!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Chris M wrote:Get a kick board and learn to do the kicking motion of freestyle really well while taking your arms out of it. And/or learn to breast stroke which may be an easier stroke for you to learn quickly. Get your daughter real lessons and at least consider them for yourself as well. Its never too late to learn to swim decently!

Funny you mention to get Lucy real swim lesson. She was at 4 years old check up and her pediatrician strongly advocated we taught her swim for safety. He believes swimming is must in Texas due to the heat and lack of mountain for any other activities etc. She had been well trained since.

Last year, she scored a goal in a summer camp soccer scrimmage and came home claiming she wanted to play soccer instead.

When she didn't want to go to training, she claimed she chose soccer because she hated swimming and we forced her to pick a sports.

I am taking her to a select team tryout today after work. It's going to be tough considering she played rec only a year. But she is a good runner. Stuck with a Pool? 424776184
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:05 pm

We've had a pool for last 23 years. I have never swam more than a few laps at a time and will never claim to like swimming or be a swimmer. The kids and all their friends enjoyed it when they were little but now they're grown and gone. So here's how we use it now: We (Wife & I) mostly use it for sitting by while drinking beer; We seem to have weekend gatherings and a lot of guests get in and splash around or sit around the edge; It feels great to just jump in after most hot summer runs; I have used it a few times for injury rehab.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Sounds like a giant ice bath to me.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Before we got rid of our pool, I would run in it for cross training, or just float around in it on a raft with a cocktail. flower

Sometimes we would open it really early in the spring and I would stand in it after running long, kind of like an ice bath.

Mostly though, we never used it and don't miss it. It was an above ground pool and was an eyesore. We have a nice flower garden there now.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Consider raising piranha.

A fully stocked pool of 'em will come in handy when you want to intimidate Lucy's future suitors. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm just amused by the fact that the topic on the front page reads "Stuck with a Poo..."
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I've never had a pool in my yard, and I never wanted one - however, you must absolutely get Lucy swimming lessons ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 pm

We've got a pool. After seeing our kids standing in the back of our yard, waiting to be invited over to their house, we decided we'd get one. Good decision.

And, we go with the attitude that we'd rather be the house with the neighborhood kids over rather than our kids being out of our site at other kids homes. Better to keep an eye on everything.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 pm

I wish I had a pool and lived in a climate that would accommodate a pool year round. Sounds like a good problem to have!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:02 pm

What do you do with a pool?

You use it to sell your house. We are moving as well and the only thing that was an absolute must in the new house was a pool. I can't fathom trying to sell one without it. Sounds like you are in the same boat. (Except that we use our pool all the time.)
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:33 pm

For those keeping count, that's +2 for aquarium. Just sayin'.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:For those keeping count, that's +2 for aquarium. Just sayin'.

Mike, what make you think you have a vote in my house when I don't even have one?! Just sayin'.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

Jerry wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:For those keeping count, that's +2 for aquarium. Just sayin'.

Mike, what make you think you have a vote in my house when I don't even have one?! Just sayin'.

If you don't have a vote, why are you asking us?
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 am

Jerry wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Jeff F wrote:
Jerry wrote:

If you don't have a vote, why are you asking us?

That's indeed a good question.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm stuck with a pool too. Your daughter and her friends will use it,it's nice to sit around and drink beer during parties when it's very hot it's refreshing , the maintenance is not fun! or cheap
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:10 pm

amyjoann wrote:I'm stuck with a pool too. Your daughter and her friends will use it,it's nice to sit around and drink beer during parties when it's very hot it's refreshing , the maintenance is not fun! or cheap

Well, I don't want my daughter sit around there doing nothing, lazy like Jerry. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:50 pm

healdgator wrote:What do you do with a pool?

You use it to sell your house. We are moving as well and the only thing that was an absolute must in the new house was a pool. I can't fathom trying to sell one without it. Sounds like you are in the same boat. (Except that we use our pool all the time.)

I read that having a pool can make your house harder to sell, for people like Jerry who wouldn't really use one and it's just an added expense, I guess. We don't have one and the only pools around here are the city and neighborhood pools that open Memorial Day wkend.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Julie wrote: I read that having a pool can make your house harder to sell.

That varies widely based on climate and location. In the north, that staement is probably true. In the south, especially in residential communities, not having a pool can be an issue.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Pretty much everybody in my neighborhood has a pool, too. It is strange if you don't have one.

Buy a big floating chair with a cup holder and stay cool in the backyard.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Martin VW wrote:

That varies widely based on climate and location. In the north, that staement is probably true. In the south, especially in residential communities, not having a pool can be an issue.

Funny you say that, as I would have thought so too, but a pool is often thought of as a deterrent in the Atlanta market, not an asset. i have never had one, so no issue. In Florida; however, you had better have one and with one of those screens around it to keep out all the bugs, etc.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Martin VW wrote:

Funny you say that, as I would have thought so too, but a pool is often thought of as a deterrent in the Atlanta market, not an asset. i have never had one, so no issue. In Florida; however, you had better have one and with one of those screens around it to keep out all the bugs, etc.

I am looking for a house in north Dallas where the community is old, like older than Jerry. The lots are much larger, so pool is popular.

Where I live now is much younger and typically has community pools, and only the rich have pools in backyard.

The latest is Lucy has declared she wants a pool. So we are open to both options now.

Thanks for playing! Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next