365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford

+10
JohnP
mul21
Kenny B.
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
carleenp
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford - Page 3 Empty Re: Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks Michael.

Well this has been a nice step back week.

Monday lunch - 8M. 2 x 1M @ 5k and 2 x .5M @ 5k. Been having some cooler weather. Amazing how you can hammer when the temps drop. Although I think I pushed this maybe too hard as I was a bit wiped after.

Monday pm - 4M. Easy. Took this real slow.

Tuesday - 10M. GA. Was still feeling it from yesterday. After doing this run smarter the past couple of weeks I reverted back to not being smart. So the second half was slower which I never want on this run.

Wednesday - 6.5M. Easy to GA with 6 x 100m. Felt decent on this and my pace just naturally got faster.

Thursday - First non-running day in 5 weeks. Did some core work and walked a bit at lunch.

Friday - 5M. Felt sluggish on this. Did a few quick bursts towards the end. With today off at least it wasn't a 4am run.

I've got the Gulf Beach Half tomorrow down in CT. No real goal. I'm just going to run it and see how I do.

Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford - Page 3 Empty Re: Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 am

Weather should be good tomorrow - have fun!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Good luck with the race. I hope the weather we are having now comes through either tonight (as the morning temps are supposed to be below 50F even at the lakefront) or after the race.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Michael and Michele.

Well believe it or not I actually won my age group today. And that was with me missing a turn and running close to an extra half mile. Granted the best runners were probably at Boston running the BAA Half but i don't care. I went through 13.1M around 1:31:25 which is a 85sec PR and total time was 1:33:51. I was actually a bit stunned for the Half time as I had no idea where my speed and endurance is at this point.

A few others longed the course too. Hopefully next year they'll have someone or a better sign at the particular area where we went off. The last .1M was on a beach which made it kind of difficult. Overall it was fun.

Got about 4 weeks now until Hartford.

Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:48 pm

That's crazy, but great! Congratulations. Hartford should be a great race for you.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks Michael.

Saturday - Gulf Coast Half. About 1:31:25, 1st AG. Mistakenly went off course after mile 11 with some others for about half mile so official time of 1:33:51. Stopped watch at 13.1. Last .1 on beach so couldn't really sprint.

Sunday - 11.5M Easy. Actually felt pretty good considering I raced the half.

Monday - 13M Easy to GA. Off from work so instead of a double just went a longer single. It was nice out and just cruised along.

Tuesday - 5M Easy. In the rain for this one.

Wednesday - 13M. 3 x 3M MP-20. I had debated doing 10M at MP, but thought this might be better.

Thursday - 4.5M Easy. This was actually about 10hrs after my Wednesday night run as I had to do this early thanks to all day meeting. So this was kind of a double over two days.

Friday - 8M. 8 x 100m. Another 4am run in the books. Next Friday should be the last 4am run.

Tomorrow is the final 20M.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 am

Nice work, and enjoy the 20!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks Michael.

Saturday - 20M LSD. Ran this one a little faster, plus the last two at MP. Felt pretty good out there. The temps out there were pretty ideal.

Sunday - 11.5M. Easy. Again pretty good weather out there.

Today will be a speed day. Three weeks to go.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 pm

It was a good weekend for those runs, weather-wise. Hopefully the trend will continue and you will get good weather for Hartford.

Of the three times I've lined up for Hartford, the weather has always been at least decent. In '07 and '10, it was a nice fall day, sunny, and a little warmer than ideal, but not bad at all. In '09 (which I DNF'd, but not because of the weather), it varied quite a bit during the race. Was cool at the start, and a bit too humid, but ok because not too hot, and then it turned cooler, cloudy and windy later in the race, but not too windy.

Just keep it up, and you should turn in a really good time!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks Michael. We'll see.

Monday lunch - 8.5M with 5 @ HMP. Felt good. Just cranked away.

Monday pm - 4M Easy. Legs felt decent once I got going.

Tuesday - 5M Easy. Feel free to skip ahead as this is gross. Had GI issues and was forced into the woods. Lets just say I used bad leaves and now I have poison oak/ivy or whatever right where you don't want it. Not good.

Wednesday - 12M GA. Ran it smart again. Cruised along. Was dark by the time I was done. Daylight getting shorter.

Thursday - 4.5M Easy. I know things are well when these runs are just naturally faster.

Friday - 7M with 8 x 100m. My last 4am run. It was raining out. I felt pretty good.

Two weeks to go. Tomorrow will be 17M with a fast finish. Then it's taper time. Still dealing with Tuesday's issue which flat out sucks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 am

Have you gotten a cortisone shot for it? That would clear things up much quicker than any other treatment might. I was even more miserable than you are once as the poison ivy sap got into my blood stream and I was itching from the inside out. Nothing like popping Vicodin to knock yourself out because your skin is crawling from internal poison ivy itch!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am

Alex - I've been there with the GI issues; however, I just used and ditched my shirt. Granted, it was a white cotton T instead of a singlet or tech shirt, but I think I'd rather toss that one away than risk bad leaves. Sorry to hear about it, although it's kind of funny What a Face.

Training's looking great going into taper.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Oh, man, that is awful to even think about.

I am great at spotting poison ivy, so I doubt I'll have that problem.

Had to dump in the woods once last year - not my idea of a good time.

The good news is that if you could run those runs the next days afterwards, it could have been worse!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Look for Zanfel for the poison ivy. That stuff works best when used right away, but it still might bring some relief!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am

mul21 wrote:Have you gotten a cortisone shot for it? That would clear things up much quicker than any other treatment might. I was even more miserable than you are once as the poison ivy sap got into my blood stream and I was itching from the inside out. Nothing like popping Vicodin to knock yourself out because your skin is crawling from internal poison ivy itch!

I'm a little hesitant on taking something this close to the race. It's not effecting my running so I'll let it be.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Alex - I've been there with the GI issues; however, I just used and ditched my shirt. Granted, it was a white cotton T instead of a singlet or tech shirt, but I think I'd rather toss that one away than risk bad leaves. Sorry to hear about it, although it's kind of funny What a Face.

As many times as I've ducked into woods before I've never gotten poison ivy from using leaves. Must have been lucky I used the right ones in the past. Oh well lesson learned.

Michael Enright wrote:Oh, man, that is awful to even think about.

I am great at spotting poison ivy, so I doubt I'll have that problem.

It's just annoying. It is what it is.

carleenp wrote:Look for Zanfel for the poison ivy. That stuff works best when used right away, but it still might bring some relief!

Thanks Carleen. I'll have to look for that.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:01 am

Saturday - 17M Last 7M MP. One of those raw, rainy, cool mornings. Felt a little sluggish but overall it went ok.

Sunday - 10M. Easy. Perfect weather out. I'll take that for the race.

Monday - 9M. 8 x 100m. Did this easy to GA.

Taper mode. Easy run tomorrow then the last speed run on Wednesday.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 am

Everything is looking good, I hope we all get some nice cool weather this fall.

I always carry a few Handi-wipes with me in my shorts pocket. They take up almost no room and are good to have in the situation you described. Though I hate when it happens, it does once in a while.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 am

How was the speed work yesterday? In the rain?

Early indication on the Hartford forecast is good - of course ten day forecasts are worthless, but the overall trend seems favorable.

Hope your taper is going well. If I run this puppy, I'll try to find you prior to the gun to wish you good luck! Will keep you posted...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Michael, haven't looked at the weather yet. Trying not to until next week.

Tuesday - 5M. Easy. Ended up having to do this before work. Thought I was done with the early morning runs. At least it was closer to 4:30 as opposed to 4.

Wednesday - 8M. 2 x 2M MP - 20. Last speed run. Felt pretty good out there.

Thursday - No Running. Did some core work and did walk for about 30min at lunch.

Friday - 6M with 8 x 100m. Did this at lunch. It was around 70 or so. Kind of hoping it's not like this in a week.

So I've got a week to go. Tomorrow I'm doing 13M and probably do the last 2 or so at MP.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:20 pm

You are going to do well. Solid training in the last few weeks!

Have fun in Hartford. I hope the weather is perfect.

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 am

EugeneGreenie wrote:You are going to do well. Solid training in the last few weeks!

Have fun in Hartford. I hope the weather is perfect.

E Greenie

I hope so to. Thank you.

Saturday - 13M with last 2M MP. A bit warm and humid again. Hopefully it's not like that next Saturday.

Sunday - 6M Easy.

Well Here I am 5 days away and I've got a small cold. Noticed it towards the end of yesterday's run when I had to start clearing my throat. I've been popping Zicam and drinking water non stop. Normally I'd still run today because it's not that bad, but I probably won't with the race Saturday. I'll see how I feel when I get home.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:07 am

Forecast is good. Keep warm, get some extra rest, sleep well and hopefully that cold goes away!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Good luck at the races!!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 am

All the work is done, now it is time for the party. Have a good one.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am

Good luck this weekend!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next